What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

@A2EZ raiden can be difficult especially since the game isn't patched yet and he can just walk his happy ass through ice clone sometimes but remember he doesn't have a teleport in that variation so try and play keep away and force him into a fireball fight cause you'll win. When you have him cornered and he tries to fly out, let him, and immediately throw an ice ball. Run up and handle business. Slide is always great too but don't be predictable and when he flys at you be ready to punish with b1,2~ice ball. Hope that helps!

A2EZ

Noob
@A2EZ raiden can be difficult especially since the game isn't patched yet and he can just walk his happy ass through ice clone sometimes but remember he doesn't have a teleport in that variation so try and play keep away and force him into a fireball fight cause you'll win. When you have him cornered and he tries to fly out, let him, and immediately throw an ice ball. Run up and handle business. Slide is always great too but don't be predictable and when he flys at you be ready to punish with b1,2~ice ball. Hope that helps!
He does have a teleport though. 1122 teleports him to the other side, and it seems safe on block. I didn't try slide punishing it though.

Raiden wont throw many fireballs in a fireball fight. He just looks for a chance to charge through everything you have. Also, I feel like being in a fireball war, in general, as Sub Zero means you are doing something wrong, because Sub doesn't have many immediate choices full screen. I can hope to trade a clone toss with a fireball, in which Raiden can react and fly at me, or I can sit back and try to land an iceball while getting chipped by his lightning ball, which eventually ends with me losing. Sliding can be risky if he dash cancels the fireball.

Also, maybe if he's predictable he'll just fly out of the corner, but sometimes he neutral jumps and flies out of the corner which would intercept me jumping to avoid getting hit. Unless I can time an aerial to beat it out or something, but I doubt it, and neutral jumping with Raiden seems like a bad idea considering the range of Raiden's nj 1 or 2.

How's everyone approaching the scorpion match up these days against decent/good ones?
Clone behind, use it a buffer for stagger and/or catch a teleport. More pressure against the demon summoning variation to avoid getting caught by the ground one for free damage, more passive against hellfire so I don't get toasted on a jump in or run. I haven't played any ridiculously good Scorpions, just the couple cheesy ones on PC. If anything, it's Ermac giving me more hell.

Odoyle

Drops combos
@Rebelo After some tes :ting, a max range F4 clone leaves you at a safe distance as well if you do B33 shatter.

The same rules apply as listed in my thread, properly spaced B33 will delay reversals like EX spin from hitting you and armour break them for 21% and + frames.

B33 does not need to be hitconfirmed because you're completely safe anyway.

Easy combos are 42% for B33 and 45% for B2

I have a 48% meterless one with b2, 1 xx ice burst, d1, b12 xx clone, njp, jip, b12 xx slide but I'm sure you know that. I just didn't see it and wanted to post so folks have it. Thank you so much for the setups Qwark they're a lot of fun.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I have a 48% meterless one with b2, 1 xx ice burst, d1, b12 xx clone, njp, jip, b12 xx slide but I'm sure you know that. I just didn't see it and wanted to post so folks have it. Thank you so much for the setups Qwark they're a lot of fun.
I didn't know that, good to know.

"You're way better off just doing b2 standing 1 then do 11 clone, you can easily do it online and the clone comes out right 90%."

Why do I have this problem when I do 1, then 11 clone (d B 4) it thinks I hit d b 1 and it performs ice shatter. This happens much for me, it doesn't register the button you hit, but the button from your last combo attack. I get this often, and sub zero is hard enough because every single half decent combo he has is situational, requiring a precise distance from the opponent or the combo just flat out has less than a 100% success rate, often due to requiring impeccable timing.

I'm finding it so hard to get comfortable with Sub in this game it is really annoying me.

"You're way better off just doing b2 standing 1 then do 11 clone, you can easily do it online and the clone comes out right 90%."

Why do I have this problem when I do 1, then 11 clone (d B 4) it thinks I hit d b 1 and it performs ice shatter. This happens much for me, it doesn't register the button you hit, but the button from your last combo attack. I get this often, and sub zero is hard enough because every single half decent combo he has is situational, requiring a precise distance from the opponent or the combo just flat out has less than a 100% success rate, often due to requiring impeccable timing.

I'm finding it so hard to get comfortable with Sub in this game it is really annoying me.
Turn off Release Check. That should solve it.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail

See if you have Release Check ON and turn it OFF in the controller settings that messes up combos on a frequent basis also I get the ice shatter as well WHEN I rush the combo input.
My advice is input the combo a little slower than what you normally do, you'd be surprised how much time you actually have to do it properly.
Sub in my opinion is more tech heavy in mkx than some of the roster, almost every mid screen combo that he has requires the use of run to link the various strings as opposed to other characters who almost never use run except for footsies.

PwnStar

Noob
Whelp think I need to make a tech vid for optimized combos and clone shenanigans. Been figuring out ways to space the clone set up a bit better for safe clone smash combos, although i fucking hate sub's nj1. That hit box is finicky as fuck (shit like this is where knowing that your stance matters comes in handy).

Anything to include? What do people want to see beyond optimal and practical combos and clone set ups?

I don't have recording equipment and it might be a minute before i can make a video with Team Hitbox, how hard is it to do through the PS4? Can I just record, upload to (Twitch?). Will it record mic? Are there any editing tools or do I have to pull it and use my own software? have yet to tamper with that PS4s record feature/upload feature.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Whelp think I need to make a tech vid for optimized combos and clone shenanigans. Been figuring out ways to space the clone set up a bit better for safe clone smash combos, although i fucking hate sub's nj1. That hit box is finicky as fuck (shit like this is where knowing that your stance matters comes in handy).

Anything to include? What do people want to see beyond optimal and practical combos and clone set ups?

I don't have recording equipment and it might be a minute before i can make a video with Team Hitbox, how hard is it to do through the PS4? Can I just record, upload to (Twitch?). Will it record mic? Are there any editing tools or do I have to pull it and use my own software? have yet to tamper with that PS4s record feature/upload feature.
You should be able to just use SharePlay from the PS4 to YouTube. But yes those vids are pretty much needed imo. The proper clone set ups and optimal, practical combos

Anyone able to tell me why this corner combo the ice clone keeps whiffing on female characters? B2 B2 d1 11 xx clone... 100% on the male cast and it whiffs on females?

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Hey guys, sorry if this is already known but I was playing around in practice mode and I found out that you can break the ice clone by blocking just before it freezes you. Thought that might be useful to know.

I tried it with Goro but no other characters.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Here's a high damage X-ray combo in all variations in case it wasn't mentioned anywhere:

JIP, B2, Run, B1, 2, X-Ray (48% damage)

I'm an SF4 player very new to NRS games, slightly dabbled in Injustice, but attempting to take MKX rather seriously. I'd appreciate some feedback on my pools match against Slayer at NWM:

I don't actually own a PS4/XBONE, so I haven't had a chance to run through the cast and find out what's punishable, so you'll see a lot of dropped punishes that I know about now. I play at my friend's house when I have the chance. But I'm asking for feedback about my neutral and overall approach more than anything. Thanks!

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
@brenttiscool you missed a lot of crossups simply because you were jumping in with the wrong punch button happens to me all of the time as well.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Hey guys I got a little sumthing for you for what I showing here is how to get of your clone safley in perfect spot for those meterless big damage clone shatter combos.
Can you check and see if it armour breaks?

Hey guys! new to NRS fighters,coming from mostly SF background. Having fun learning Sub Zero so far. Hope to post more and learn lots here \O/