What's new

Match Footage Stryker Videos

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
well i still need lots of match-up experiance with all characters....i'm starting to use the gun cancels for mix uos....but other than that......need practice if good players....and yeah....it seems like styker gets raped by few characters....aka teleporters...depends which....but i'll try to post as many videos.....
Yeah I'm hoping we start recording Pittsburgh ranbats I'll post em here.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Hey guys, we finally got our Stryker video done and uploaded... Good amount of BnB combos and two 50% damage X-Rays... Enjoy!

Stryker Combos:
http://www.critical-bits.com/2011/05/creating-combos-sonya-mortal-kombat-9_11.html
My phone can't load this page so I took the liberty of linking the video from my computer for others on mobile devices:

Never seen grenade in a combo other then accidentally on my end.
Don't know how I feel about ending corner combos with uppercuts or rolltosses, better keeping them in the corner.
For back 3, 2 in the corner you can actully (1,2) 4 times for 37% consistently for no meter. Even more with the jump in and if your quick you can hit 40 with a low 1 or 3 (warning: this will make them wakeup fast)

Fairlysadpanda

Really bad at fighting games.
Apologies if this is already well known...

Stryker can reset off of his BnB. It keeps them standing and allows you to go into a blockstring -> gun, throw etc. Nice. :)

Carefoot

Apologies if this is already well known...

Stryker can reset off of his BnB. It keeps them standing and allows you to go into a blockstring -> gun, throw etc. Nice. :)
You sound like the guy who plays Kano on the current MK miniseries the way you say "Stryker" reminds me of it so much.

Okay so let me address the brilliant point what your illustrating in this video.

First your entering them into a stagger state where they're vunerable to a new setup for an entirely new combo, throw, special or XRay.

More importantly the ramifications of this is huge. By ending combos like this you are preventing wake up attacks. This is a kin to Johnny Cages nut punch rule for ending combos noted by Tom Brady.

I think as a Stryker player the best thing you can do is end all your combos with standing 3.

Cheers.

ps: Seriously you sound like Kano from the MK mini series.

Carefoot

Yeah I suggest ending all combos that way, also here is my Punishment guide:

I think you can punish Scorpions roll the same way in the BnB video which punishes mileena but I have yet to lab it (rents using the TV).

1,2 dash 1, 2, gunshot, dash, uppercut, does 29%

Thanks for the clarification on reptile and kung lao. Don't think I've seen this addressed for Stryker so[BANANA] thank you [/BANANA]

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
I think you can punish Scorpions roll the same way in the BnB video which punishes mileena but I have yet to lab it (rents using the TV).

1,2 dash 1, 2, gunshot, dash, uppercut, does 29%

Thanks for the clarification on reptile and kung lao. Don't think I've seen this addressed for Stryker so[BANANA] thank you [/BANANA]
You're correct. I'm redoing it to include those also using d+2 as a punish. I'm going to do more when I get the final one done.

Fairlysadpanda

Really bad at fighting games.
ps: Seriously you sound like Kano from the MK mini series.
:p Isn't Kano supposed to be from Australia, though?

I'll take a look at that Guide to Strykering when I get home, Dookieagain. Looks pretty sweet. :) I should have bought a capture card rather than spending £200 on a nice camera... D:

The picture really is forming in my mind of what Stryker is. He's a solid mid-tier character who is tournament viable so long as the player behind the character is very solid, and able to play an exceptional reading/zoning game. Give this game a year and people will be showing up with him.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
:p Isn't Kano supposed to be from Australia, though?

I'll take a look at that Guide to Strykering when I get home, Dookieagain. Looks pretty sweet. :) I should have bought a capture card rather than spending £200 on a nice camera... D:

The picture really is forming in my mind of what Stryker is. He's a solid mid-tier character who is tournament viable so long as the player behind the character is very solid, and able to play an exceptional reading/zoning game. Give this game a year and people will be showing up with him.
Just as a note a capture card introduces its own set of issues. Especially doing commentary. At the moment it's sort of an arduous process, and the card itself introduces at least some input lag, so I keep missing things when shooting, which I'd like to avoid when I do the final.

Basically I'm recording the video and the audio at once, but separately and combining them in my gray legal student copy of Adobe Premier. But they don't always sync perfectly, even when I set a sync point off video, and then I have to massage them both. I have everything recorded for all 7 parts now, but I doubt I'll have it done till this weekend because of the editing process.

With a camera I'd lose quality, but god it'd be simpler.

Also yanks can't tell anything apart accent wise. Myself included. I used to hang out with a bunch of Aussies, and once I mistook a Kiwi for one and never heard the end of it. :p

Carefoot

Just as a note a capture card introduces its own set of issues. Especially doing commentary. At the moment it's sort of an arduous process, and the card itself introduces at least some input lag, so I keep missing things when shooting, which I'd like to avoid when I do the final.

Basically I'm recording the video and the audio at once, but separately and combining them in my gray legal student copy of Adobe Premier. But they don't always sync perfectly, even when I set a sync point off video, and then I have to massage them both. I have everything recorded for all 7 parts now, but I doubt I'll have it done till this weekend because of the editing process.

With a camera I'd lose quality, but god it'd be simpler.

Also yanks can't tell anything apart accent wise. Myself included. I used to hang out with a bunch of Aussies, and once I mistook a Kiwi for one and never heard the end of it. :p
You can run the capture card and have a live TV at the same time. Just need to split the video feed. Just don't watch the cap card.

Here some more content:

Love of Baton

Take your zoning to level 2

much love just got a new Xbox take care.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Hey guys I did a random post in he Matchup Ketchup thread about a few videos that I have recorded. Since I didnt really know where to properly post the link to my videos, Vulcan came up with this great idea of the "Critic my Stryker playstyle". I think it's a fantastic idea by the way. If you are interested, you guys can check how I play Stryker and comment on the Dos and Don'ts.

Seeing how I play made me realize how hot headed I be playing. My philosophy is to be the one to initiate the rushdown rather than being to defense against it (mind you eveybody know that stryker is not a rushdown character lol). Also, I always go for big combos hoping that my opponent will break and waste two bars. That way I know for sure I dont have to worry about eating a nasty X-Ray.

With that being said, here is a link to my videos

http://www.youtube.com/pmarc65

Now I have to warn you (1) the quality is not that great since I recorded them from my Droid1 phone (5 megapixel); (2) Most of the matches are not at high level as some of the guys clearly didn't know the stryker matchup, or just werent blocking properly during my rushdowns...hell they werent even punishing some of my mistakes.

So I hope you guys can check some of my videos and post some of your matches as well :china:

Pretty solid Stryker imo. You seem to have worked grenades and especially rolls into your play-style very well. My suggestions would be to pressure a bit more with jump in punches/normal strings, and to practice on working gun cancels into your game (just to mess with their head).

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Well come back man. :) Yeah lots of things happened while you were gone.

I watched the videos you uploaded. Here's some feedback since you asked:

vs Sub Zero:

You don't seem to pay much attention to what your opponent is doing. You got hit at least twice by full screen slides. You should have jumped or blocked and full punish those. When you did manage to block a slide, you didn't punish at all.

1:16 - See that's also where gun cancel comes in handy. If you hold your shot and notice your about to trade vs sub, you can always cancel with F, FU and Stryker will just jump over ice blast. This simple trick can avoid you 30% life loss.

1:29 - You gun shot xx uppercut. That's good, but then you try to go on offensive with double dash + jump and sub easily AA with uppercut. After you hit Sub with uppercut you should have played it cool, dashback and gun shot held. You see Sub going for a slide? Gun cancel into jump forward. He does nothing or tries to shoot ice blast? Shoot before his projectile even comes out.

1:40 - Never use gun shot from this distance (mid range). From this range you should be thinking about gun shot cancel into poke, jump or throw (if opponent likes dash blocking). Sub could have easily slide on reaction or jump into full combo.

vs Jade:

You played this matchup well. Good to mix up gun shot with roll toss because Jade likes to Glow a lot vs Stryker. You made some great reads. Especially at 1:00. Like that jump punch into standing 4 xx roll toss.

That Jade didn't seem to know the Stryker matchup though. So It's kinda hard to really tell how well you played. It seems the Jade player was just bad overall.

A good Jade would have given you trouble. This is a bad matchup for Stryker imo. Glow completely shuts your zoning game. She can keep you out with her boomerangs but you can't touch her. You have no choice to be more aggressive vs Jade but then her EN invincibility can parry your attacks and leave you vulnerable for full punish combos. It's tough.

vs Kitana:

This is really one of Stryker's easiest mathchups. There's nothing Kitana can do vs Stryker's superior zoning. And even when she gets close and tries to go on offensive you can easily block and punish her attacks, crouch tech, anti-air, jump over or x-ray/ex roll toss and start zoning again. And even if she manages to touch you, you should have build so much meter by that time you should have a breaker already lol.

You won but you didn't exactly play your best: You were dropping your combos, didn't punish her square boosts, whiffing B3 when you weren't in range, using gun shot at mid range again or when you didn't have zoning advantage etc.

Overall you played good. But if I could give you some suggestions to improve I would say:

1. Have a gameplan for each distance you find yourself in (full screen and far: you zone/counter zone. Mid screen/jump distance: you play footsies, anti-air, gun cancel. Up close: crouch tech, build meter, jump over punch or neutral jump punch, mixup, use armored EN to gtfo etc.

2. Try to keep track of your current zoning "status" (do you have zoning/speed advantage? Are you in disadvantage? Are you on equal footing with your opponent?) and modify your playstyle accordingly. If you have advantage, go in zone mode. You gunshot will always cancel their ice blast so you're cool. If you lose zoning adv or are at equal speed with opponent, it means your gunshot will either trade or lose flat out. You don't want that obviously. So that's when you need to react to their zoning (roll toss, crouch or gun cancel jump etc).

3. Always punish slides, whiffed specials and teleports. Everytime you block a sub-zero slide you should be punishing that. I know online it's harder though..

4. Keep your combos simple. End them with either roll toss, uppercut or reset. It's better to deal only 25% but have zoning advantage than risking a hard to do 35% combo that could leave you at disadvantage if you drop your ender.

5. Don't rush too much with Stryker. 80% of the time you'll fail. Stryker has good pokes and mixups but he's not a rushdown/mixup character. You have to know when to pressure and when to lay back. If you wanna go for crazy mixups and pressure, do it after a juggle reset (using standing 3).

Hope that helps. :)

edit: I just noticed you had 3 more matches vs Scorpion, Ermac and Johnny Cage. I'll watch them tomorrow and give you feedback

Maybe we could create a new thread for that. Something like: "Critic my Stryker playstyle"
Vulcan I am posting your reply to the vids here. Thank you soo much for your feedback.

vs Sub Zero:

You don't seem to pay much attention to what your opponent is doing. You got hit at least twice by full screen slides. You should have jumped or blocked and full punish those. When you did manage to block a slide, you didn't punish at all.
To be honest, I have no idea how to punish the slides. Mainly, I go to 2,3,2 and now that I think about it, if 2 as slow as it is can hit, how much B1,2,2 should be easier. The only problem that I can think of is that the first two hits usually whiffs on crouching opponents. Only the last hit (although being high) can hit them while crouching. I guess my question is, what's the go to punish for slides other than a normal throw.

1:16 - See that's also where gun cancel comes in handy. If you hold your shot and notice your about to trade vs sub, you can always cancel with F, FU and Stryker will just jump over ice blast. This simple trick can avoid you 30% life loss.
I can picture this but that is not something that is part of my gameplay at all. Which is a shame if you ask me. I can see my stryker being GDLK and frustrating for the opponent if you I can read these properly.

1:29 - You gun shot xx uppercut. That's good, but then you try to go on offensive with double dash + jump and sub easily AA with uppercut. After you hit Sub with uppercut you should have played it cool, dashback and gun shot held. You see Sub going for a slide? Gun cancel into jump forward. He does nothing or tries to shoot ice blast? Shoot before his projectile even comes out.
That's why I say that I realized that I play hot headed sometimes. I am so focus on pressuring them that I completely forgot on playing it safe. I learn the hard way not to rush sub down, simply because most sub players will wake up with an ice clone. So i get in trouble a lot by jumping into ice clone against sub. But yeah I will take you advice and play it safe if i ever get into a situation like that again which im sure I will lol

1:40 - Never use gun shot from this distance (mid range). From this range you should be thinking about gun shot cancel into poke, jump or throw (if opponent likes dash blocking). Sub could have easily slide on reaction or jump into full combo.
The only reason I use gunshot from this distance is to anticipate the wake up clones. If I can get a sub player not to wake up clone as often as they usually do, and maybe start doing wake up slides or something, that will increase my chances to safe jump and now force them to slide for more punish.

vs Jade:

That Jade didn't seem to know the Stryker matchup though. So It's kinda hard to really tell how well you played. It seems the Jade player was just bad overall.

A good Jade would have given you trouble. This is a bad matchup for Stryker imo. Glow completely shuts your zoning game. She can keep you out with her boomerangs but you can't touch her. You have no choice to be more aggressive vs Jade but then her EN invincibility can parry your attacks and leave you vulnerable for full punish combos. It's tough.
You are right on that one, the guy didn't know the matchup. Jade is usually a huge PITA. I abused roll toss in this match because most of the jade players usually do the double kick after the glow. good Jade players with give me the low boomerangs and shu down my roll toss. I hate the jade matchup period lol

vs Kitana:

This is really one of Stryker's easiest mathchups. There's nothing Kitana can do vs Stryker's superior zoning.
TRUE.

And even when she gets close and tries to go on offensive you can easily block and punish her attacks, crouch tech, anti-air, jump over or x-ray/ex roll toss and start zoning again. And even if she manages to touch you, you should have build so much meter by that time you should have a breaker already lol.
NOT TRUE FOR ME. Kitana got that poke with the fan xx launcher that, till this day I can never get out of without losing half my life. Maybe I am timing it wrong but the poke fan usually beats my wakeup roll toss. The poke fan launcher she did at the beginning of the first round is my kryptonite man. I have such a hard time dealing with it. On block, the opponent usually goes to down 1 right after which is, to my experience, faster than my D1. Maybe because im coming out of block stun. But if you have a punish for this poke, I will be happy to hear it. the I deal with it is to back dash and sweep.

You won but you didn't exactly play your best: You were dropping your combos, didn't punish her square boosts, whiffing B3 when you weren't in range, using gun shot at mid range again or when you didn't have zoning advantage etc.
Yeah you are right about that one too. A good kitana would have eating me alive for making all this mistakes.

To sum up, thanks a bunch for all of your suggestions. I feel like a robot that's been getting new instructions/commands. I'm running all this inputs in my head now and picturing how my gameplay can greatly improve if I can incorporate them into my gameplan. Thanks again for taking the time to do this. Hope you post some matches as well ;-)

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Pretty solid Stryker imo. You seem to have worked grenades and especially rolls into your play-style very well. My suggestions would be to pressure a bit more with jump in punches/normal strings, and to practice on working gun cancels into your game (just to mess with their head).
Yeah the gun cancelling is definitely a major issue for me. I will put in some times in the lab so it can become as normal as the roll toss that I be spamming lol. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by jump in punches/normal strings? I thought I was doing that, a little too much if you ask me lol

I mean I saw a couple occasions where you went for a roll when it was easy for them to block...and that's punishable, right? So in that case hold off on the roll pressure unless you think you have a good read, and go for normals/jump in punches instead. Or, as Vulcan suggested, gun cancel from that range to make them react and then go into a string/jump punch/etc.

I mean I saw a couple occasions where you went for a roll when it was easy for them to block...and that's punishable, right?
Roll Toss is -3 on block. There's not a single move in the game that's fast enough to punish it. You can block anything in time. But thing is if you try to D1 after a blocked Roll Toss, then any normal under 9-10 frames can beat it. Which usually is full punish combos.

So my advice after you throw a random roll toss and it gets blocked: don't press buttons, just block and punish. You might actually bait something that leaves them in negative frame disadvantage. If you really feel like pressing a button, do D3. It can avoid lots of things unlike D1. Often works like a charm for me.

Of course, it's usually not a good idea to throw random roll toss out there. Even if you're good at blocking afterwards, blocking = free meter for the opponent. You don't want that. So try to only use roll toss on reaction.

Police Brutality said:
The poke fan launcher she did at the beginning of the first round is my kryptonite man. I have such a hard time dealing with it.
Yeah I know what you mean. That string has giving me trouble in the past too. But don't get intimitated by it.

Look at Kitana's frame data:

Neutral Attacks

FP = i14
BP = i11
FK = i12
BK = i17

Command Normals

b+FP = i20
b+BP = i22
b+FK = i13
b+BK = i15 (Sweep)

f+BP = i18
f+FK = i18
f+BK = i17
That shit is slower than it looks. She has longer range but you got faster pokes.

Police Brutality said:
On block, the opponent usually goes to down 1 right after which is, to my experience, faster than my D1.
They're both the same speed so yeah, it's the blockstun that makes you lose.

Police Brutality said:
Maybe because im coming out of block stun. But if you have a punish for this poke, I will be happy to hear it.
Well after I block that launcher string, I would simply jump over her. She whiffs D1 and you possibly get a full combo. Or just backdash sweep like you did, that seems to work too.

EN roll toss would also work to counter her D1. If you're willing to burn a meter for an educated guess.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Speaking of burning meter, would you consider burning a meter for 43% damage? I have been looking into that 43% combo a lot, but I know we always stress meter management so I wanted to know the stryker players take on that. Again I always save my meters to combo into X-Ray or EN roll toss to get out of trouble. I think 43% is kinda worth it :) Now if only that combo wasnt such a pain to pull off. It's simple yet a PITA simply because of the 1,2 xx roll toss at the end

here is the Kombo

FJ1, B1,2,2 NJ1, dash 3 xx EN Gunshot, Dash 1,2 xx roll toss

No I would personally never consider that a good way to spend meter.

Well it depends, if it's gonna finish off your opponent in the very last round then yeah sure, why not. Go for the flashy finish if you feel like it..

Otherwise, if there's another round after then that's 2 less meters for Stryker. Might as well deduce 35% on your health bar because you won't be able to break their next combo.

EN roll toss is underrated up close. It avoids a lot of high and special mid attacks + has 1 hit of armor so it can be used as a parry vs rushdown characters that give you trouble up close.

Considering that, I would much rather have 2 parries or a breaker available to me than deal 10% more damage in a combo (that I might drop more that 50% of the time anyway :p).

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
No I would personally never consider that a good way to spend meter.

Well it depends, if it's gonna finish off your opponent in the very last round then yeah sure, why not. Go for the flashy finish if you feel like it..

Otherwise, if there's another round after then that's 2 less meters for Stryker. Might as well deduce 35% on your health bar because you won't be able to break their next combo.

EN roll toss is underrated up close. It avoids a lot of high and special mid attacks + has 1 hit of armor so it can be used as a parry vs rushdown characters that give you trouble up close.

Considering that, I would much rather have 2 parries or a breaker available to me than deal 10% more damage in a combo (that I might drop more that 50% of the time anyway :p).
Yeah I know what you mean. I was a little skeptical about it too lol. I tried to do it only yest and I couldnt even get the EN gunshot to come out properly. Im still going to practice it so that way if i do get a chance to finish the opponent off on the second round i wont choke on the 1,2 xx roll toss lol.

BTW, hope you guys will jump on the kenshi bandwagon because he could finally be my secondary main. he was always my favorite in DA and deception I think. You guys made the stryker forum fun so I would definitely want to bother you on the Kenshi forum :-P

Kweli

Noob
Whats the best combo to punish a sub zero slide? I typically do 2,3,2... for me its an easy 15-17% online and it throws him back into gun range...

Whats the best combo to punish a sub zero slide? I typically do 2,3,2... for me its an easy 15-17% online and it throws him back into gun range...
-B1, 2, 2, NJ2, dash, 1 xx gun shot, dash xx D2 (~30%) This depends on spacing and timing is very strict.

-B2, F2, dash xx 4 xx roll toss (~25%) This is what I usually go for.

-2 xx roll toss (~16%)

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
-B1, 2, 2, NJ2, dash, 1 xx gun shot, dash xx D2 (~30%) This depends on spacing. You need to wait until Sub-Zero gets up but Sub needs to be at point blank when you block his Slide. But sometimes he's too far away and B1 misses and he can block the rest of the string..

-B2, F2, dash xx 4 xx roll toss (~25%)

-2 xx roll toss (~16%)
Thanks a bunch man. btw no dash is needed for the B1,2,2?