What's new

So...MK9 or MKX?

MK9 or MKX

• MK9

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • MKX

Votes: 162 60.2%

• Total voters
The more I get to know MKX, the more I enjoy it. It's just that as soon as I picked up mk9 I thought it was a glorious game and the excitement it gave me never really faded. At this point though, I effing miss mk9, but refuse to stop learning mkx

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I could be wring, but I think we already have some OP characters. Probably worse than MK9. But if Nah, please enlighten me.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I could be wring, but I think we already have some OP characters. Probably worse than MK9. But if Nah, please enlighten me.
The thing is there are more OP characters than shit characters. A good half of the cast could win a major or at least get top 8, and a lot of the bottom tier are not absolutely hopeless.

MK9. Dash cancelling (Eventhough run cancelling is an adequate substitute).

The implementation of armored moves seemed experimental in MK9, it kinda just semed like they never game it much thought, and were just like, "ok let's give this move armor, sound good? ok cool." MKX took a step in the right direction by giving everyone armored options.

That said, the oki game is WAY too inconsistent in MKX. Sure, you have tech rolling, wake up back dashing, wakeup armor for everyone, etc... but that doesn't even matter when certain characters have braindead moves that can safely stuff your armored reversals, and single hit normals that will randomly ignore armored reversals after HKD and stuff them when they're not supposed to. Invincible frames on regular wakeups does not equal zero oki. See SF4.

MKX has inconsistent and illogical move properties from one character to the next. Why do some characters have like 13 frame SAFE OH / Low starters when others are triple the frames and punishable? Why do variation specific SAFE specials for some characters grant ridiculous frame advantage while similar variation specific specials for others are punishable and are minus on hit? Why are there entire variations that are rendered completely useless because of the basic movesets of other characters? And why in the ever loving fuck is throw teching still a guess? It was the same in MK9, I know.. but that is the single thing I would choose to change about this game. No one likes it.

MK9 had significantly less bugs at release than MKX. I don't think that can be denied. punishable on hit specials, wiff on hit specials, wiff on hit normals (that still exists), walking right through clones, incorrect damage scaling, broken interactables ignoring block stun, sliding across the stage, meter gain bugs, getting stuck in the air, multiple infinites, etc.

The penalty for block breaker and breakers in general makes no sense. When some characters require meter use to be effective offensively when others do not, a static penalty for breaker use means that the more meter dependent characters are punished more severely in terms of effectiveness for using one.

There are characters with a laundry list of strings while others have like 4. There are SEVERAL strings that have zero practical use whatsoever in actual game play.

The MKX roster is unappealing and lazy. People's kids? new characters that aren't even good enough to use? Give me Smoke, Kabal, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob, Rain, Nightwolf, and Shang Tsung. Predator and Jason as DLC is fucking stupid.

MKX SHOULD have been the better game, but it's just not.

aj1701

Noob
Wat, button mashing in a game where you can block essentially everything? I think you're playing the game wrong bro.
Ya and while your blocking you have to guess what to block, guess wrong and eat a combo, or eat chip. Defense in this game is laughable; its all about who can get their BS going first.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Ya and while your blocking you have to guess what to block, guess wrong and eat a combo, or eat chip. Defense in this game is laughable; its all about who can get their BS going first.
I was referring to umk3.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's still chip damage, and exactly one strategy seems to exist in that game, kira jabs.
What are you even talking about? I was responding to you saying button mashing is a thing in UMK3, which how can it be when you can block everything? UMK3 is one of the few games where mashing doesn't actually do anything.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

The implementation of armored moves seemed experimental in MK9, it kinda just semed like they never game it much thought, and were just like, "ok let's give this move armor, sound good? ok cool." MKX took a step in the right direction by giving everyone armored options.

That said, the oki game is WAY too inconsistent in MKX. Sure, you have tech rolling, wake up back dashing, wakeup armor for everyone, etc... but that doesn't even matter when certain characters have braindead moves that can safely stuff your armored reversals, and single hit normals that will randomly ignore armored reversals after HKD and stuff them when they're not supposed to. Invincible frames on regular wakeups does not equal zero oki. See SF4.

MKX has inconsistent and illogical move properties from one character to the next. Why do some characters have like 13 frame SAFE OH / Low starters when others are triple the frames and punishable? Why do variation specific SAFE specials for some characters grant ridiculous frame advantage while similar variation specific specials for others are punishable and are minus on hit? Why are there entire variations that are rendered completely useless because of the basic movesets of other characters? And why in the ever loving fuck is throw teching still a guess? It was the same in MK9, I know.. but that is the single thing I would choose to change about this game. No one likes it.

MK9 had significantly less bugs at release than MKX. I don't think that can be denied. punishable on hit specials, wiff on hit specials, wiff on hit normals (that still exists), walking right through clones, incorrect damage scaling, broken interactables ignoring block stun, sliding across the stage, meter gain bugs, getting stuck in the air, multiple infinites, etc.

The penalty for block breaker and breakers in general makes no sense. When some characters require meter use to be effective offensively when others do not, a static penalty for breaker use means that the more meter dependent characters are punished more severely in terms of effectiveness for using one.

There are characters with a laundry list of strings while others have like 4. There are SEVERAL strings that have zero practical use whatsoever in actual game play.

The MKX roster is unappealing and lazy. People's kids? new characters that aren't even good enough to use? Give me Smoke, Kabal, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob, Rain, Nightwolf, and Shang Tsung. Predator and Jason as DLC is fucking stupid.

Predator and Jason is awesome. Just as awesome as Freddy in MK9.

And i hate to burst your bubble, but Cassie Cage is ten times more interesting than Noob Saibot. He's a shadow ninja that wants to rule Earthrealm. Yaaaaawn.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Just gotta make sure I never get knocked down and put into a rush down 50/50 situation?! Why didn't I think of that!
Delay wakeup bro.

And he said less often, not never. There isnt a FG out there will you will never get put in unfavorable situations.

And i hate to burst your bubble, but Cassie Cage is ten times more interesting than Noob Saibot. He's a shadow ninja that wants to rule Earthrealm. Yaaaaawn.
Ok, so Cassie is more interesting than the least interesting character I listed. But that's just like, your opinion, man.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick

I agree with the whole post... one tiny sentence though...

Jason, the way he is made, not only fits the game, it makes it look better

You want cyrax & sektor, but you don't like Predator? He is their father you know (and subzero's spine rip fatality idea). It was about time to be included in the series.

Respect the inspiration

Last edited:

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X

So some blonde mouthy little bitch with annoying quotes is more interesting than a bad ass shadow ninja? Hand in your man card please.