What's new

So...MK9 or MKX?

MK9 or MKX

• MK9

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • MKX

Votes: 162 60.2%

• Total voters
Depends on adaptability, first month I couldn't adapt but now I have and it's a way better game. I do miss proper AA's from MK9 and other stuff but if they continue to patch and iron out some things it will be great. I do wish they would have added a few more stages or introduced some classic ones redesigned as DLC, as the current stages are a bit boring and bland except a few like Sky Temple, Cove, etc.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
MK9 was a nostalgia rush and came to me in a dark period of life where it was a blessing to get into the game and find a team and make friends. It taught me how to play and everything about fighting games. Now I come into MKX as a different person. I think a lot of us are like this. We are different people and more educated about the games in general, so our perspective is naturally skewed. I honestly probably had more fun in MK9, as the whole experience was about learning. MKX is about taking what I learned then and trying to perfectly apply it.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
atm, I'm liking 9 over X. I definitely prefer the roster in 9 (ily Noob, rip Jade, never allowed to live). In 9 I'd play for hours upon hours, I had genuine fun with the challenge tower, and idc how broke it was mechanically, I was able to look pass that. But with X, I find myself playing in short bursts, it just seems so linear. I play for about 2 hours and get tired of it. Hopefully this changes within the coming months though

MK9 was a nostalgia rush and came to me in a dark period of life where it was a blessing to get into the game and find a team and make friends. It taught me how to play and everything about fighting games. Now I come into MKX as a different person. I think a lot of us are like this. We are different people and more educated about the games in general, so our perspective is naturally skewed. I honestly probably had more fun in MK9, as the whole experience was about learning. MKX is about taking what I learned then and trying to perfectly apply it.
100%

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
I prefer MK9 because this game is more mechanically flawed (as of now) compared to however technically flawed MK9 was (input bug, P1 adv etc). Technical features of MKX are what MK9 needed to be perfect aside from some balancing. The top half of the tier was tournament viable in MK9 which is pretty good for a game that was created by accident.

I do not like at all the amount of OS this game has and 50/50's out the ass. Characters have overheads with the speed of a poke, the meta is so far over to being the aggressor and pressuring and throws off the balance that a fighter needs. There are rarely any neutral moments in this game which MK9 had a lot of for me and made it so insanely intense to watch and play. Reading and reacting was massive in that game and is what makes it so enjoyable for me, MKX is most of the time a guessing game with the way things are. No matter how much I grind this game I will take playing Kabal MK9 over Raiden MKX any day. The reason I feel most of us are able to judge so early on is the fact that we had a good NRS fighter with MK9 with playing style that could carry over somewhat to this game i.e/ counter poking, armouring strings, combo setups... I believe a lot of the skill was taken out of this game from the player and put into the ability of the character.

However, past all this I still do enjoy this game and found a lot of excitement in Takeda recently which is really motivating me to play and become better.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
It is not really the time to ask this as it is natural to be more affected by the one that is currently out. Both MK 4 and MKDC was everyone's favourites when they came out but time was unkind to them compared to all other titles.

I am unsure. I loved MK9 and played it until MKX. MKX is new and I love it, but the shine has not worn off yet. MK9 Is my favourite game alongside MK2 from the stop motion era and Deception from the 3D era.

VOR

Noob
I do miss a couple elements and characters of MK9. MKX is a better and cooler game though. At this point I still wish there was more depth to MKX though. I really like Tanya, but I'm sorta hoping Tremor and Predator knock my socks off. I think the high/low mixup and kind of absurd NJP's are too good and repetitive. I'm hoping that they go more the route of buffing the characters that could use help as opposed to nerfing the top. Plus, I wishing some characters' zoning was a little better.

I like mkx better despite its problems. There is still time to patch mkx and fix some things whereas in mk9 we were stuck with broken cyrax, kenshi and kabal.

It's a bit streamlined but overall mkx is the better game to me. Better visuals, better balance between the fighters.

Ultimately, I'll take 50/50 mixups over Cyrax bomb resets any day.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Depends on what you like, MK 9 zoning was better than MK X. MKX with the run, zoning takes a lot of work.

MK X has trades on lots of moves not just projectiles, which is good IMO

Jump in starters were way easier in MK 9 than MK X.

Overall balance MK X is better and not just a KL, Kabal fest that MK 9 was.

I like the corner escape/interactables in MK X.

Personally, I'd patch every vortex in MK X just to make the player work more but that's me. I can live without any resets for anyone and be fine with that.

50/50's I don't mind, I have a bigger issue with resets than 50/50's. I like both games but there are things about both I'd take out like resets, vortexes etc. Both are fun though.

portent

Noob
MK9 was a breath of fresh air after MKDC and all those crap 3D games. I gave up MK after playing deadly alliance and only came back for MK9. It made me remember what MK could be like. MKX has some big shoes to fill even though MK9 had so many flaws. I'll remember MK9 vividlly, but as of now, MKX is just another game in the MK series that everyone will forget when MK11 comes out. Nobodys gonna forget MK9 though.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
MK9
Pros
-great classic characters and stages like MK1 2 and 3 rolled into one sort but with better graphics
-each character had their own style well flushed out.
Cons
-huge gaps in tiers quality of characters
-some characters could be played flowchart as shit and still win most matches.

MKX
Pros
-even prettier graphics on PS4 and XBOne
-great looking fatalities and stages are beautiful
-more variety of ways to play with variations and more options making it less flowchart-y
-New characters are all well made and unique.

Cons
-with all the extra options for mix ups it's more of a guessing game than actually knowing a match up sometimes
-No Cyborgs or Smoke, they were a staple in the Mk games
-stll a big gap from top to bottom quality of characters maybe not as bad as MK9 though.

at the moment I would say MKX for graphics, options for fighting styles, and also because I havent already been playing it for over 2 years and bored to crap with it.

Well Mk9 got me into the fgc, first game I actually tried to play at a high level. Until I get fully acclimated to MKX I'll prefer Mk9 lol, I know MKX is the better game, but I'm not able to see that just yet. As far as I can see, MKX is all about the corner game, as a reward for winning the mid screen footsie battle.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Lbsh, if MK9 was a "Kabal-fest" then MKX is a "Kung Jin-fest."
but Kung Jin really isn't OP. Great character yes, but not OP. There are many characters that have favorable matchups against him, as we have seen in recent tourney results. Overall, the "S tier" in MK9 was much more pronounced.

FoolishProphet

Still waiting for Jade :\
MKX for me,but MK9 had Shao Kahn,Sindel,and Jade quite possible my fav characters in MK so yeah lol MK9 is still awesome.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
but Kung Jin really isn't OP. Great character yes, but not OP. There are many characters that have favorable matchups against him, as we have seen in recent tourney results. Overall, the "S tier" in MK9 was much more pronounced.
I know that, I was referring to the sheer volume of people using him.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
MK9 got me into fighting games as well, and for that I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

But nostalgia aside, MKX is better in every way possible except for the roster(Baraka pls). IMO of course.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Miss rain noob and smoke and... and...*sniffles* my cyber ninjas:( except csz:16Bit should have been cyber smoke imo PSSST NRS PLS PUT CYBER SMOKE IN