What's new

Run Macro vs Stance Switch

Should NRS Implement A Run Macro?

• Total voters

Rabbit

thugs bunny
Nah, it doesn't work that way. First you design what's possible in your game (including how fast you want cancels to be and how soon you can do stuff during a run), then you make convenient interface for people to make what they want to happen. Unless you're NRS dude, apparently. Then you waste buttons on stuff because one of your staff have OCD about it.

I strongly believe that any sort of PvP game should be maximally about fighting opponent and minimally about fighting what devs included into the game - like interface decisions. If something is hard, then it should be hard because you opponent makes it so, not game designer.

- IMHO.
smh...... first not understanding what this thread is about and then trying to "educate" James about fighting game design lol.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
smh...... first not understanding what this thread is about and then trying to "educate" James about fighting game design lol.
1) In a wider sense this thread is just another complaint about running made harder when there were opportunities to make better interface. What I'm missing?
2) Not "educate about FG design", but "make obvious statement about design of every human-machine interface ever, applied to particular FG".

So we have 9 votes for "yeah, we could have an optional run button that would in no way interfere with my ability to play so long as I don't use it.... but naaaaaaah"

Please explain. What are you using the stance button for in gameplay?
For one, simulation--feigning projectile attacks and the like. Plus I like my characters to fight right-handed.

Point is, every character changes stances during gameplay, unlike SF, et al, in which any given animation concludes with your character returning to face the camera. Normal and special attacks necessitate stance switching, albeit not a stance-switch button.

For one, simulation--feigning projectile attacks and the like. Plus I like my characters to fight right-handed.

Point is, every character changes stances during gameplay, unlike SF, et al, in which any given animation concludes with your character returning to face the camera. Normal and special attacks necessitate stance switching, albeit not a stance-switch button.
That's fine if you want to keep stance switch for whatever reason. But if I want to map run to a button press for myself in lieu of the stance switch button, there's no reason I should be able to.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
I assume you mean a run button.
I would actually like that.
Though stance switching also has uses in very specific situations.
I for one kinda suck at run combo's due to the input which ends up in me getting the timing off.
All in all, a run button would be nice.

Nah, it doesn't work that way. First you design what's possible in your game (including how fast you want cancels to be and how soon you can do stuff during a run), then you make convenient interface for people to make what they want to happen. Unless you're NRS dude, apparently. Then you waste buttons on stuff because one of your staff have OCD about it.

I strongly believe that any sort of PvP game should be maximally about fighting opponent and minimally about fighting what devs included into the game - like interface decisions. If something is hard, then it should be hard because you opponent makes it so, not game designer.

- IMHO.
How it doesn't work that way? Run is connected to forward dash which is connected to the cancelling of special moves. That's how they designed it to work.

Anyway, it's not like its super hard to run and cancel special moves. It's just not as simple as it would be with a run button. If you practice it enough it will feel easy eventually.

SGX

Noob
The implementation of run in this game is so awkward. I knew from the day it was announced that it was going to be one of the things I hate most about the game, and I was exactly right. I mean, realistically they could have just eliminated forward dashing altogether and just replaced it with running. But yeah, a run button would have been nice too.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Running isn't that bad. It's just like dashing during a combo except you hit 1 extra button.

I think there are 2 reasons people struggle with it:

1) its new
2) you can't buffer a run if there's a special input that comes before it since it erases the special(I think this is the biggest culprit tbh)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I like the idea of the run button, but dislike the idea of multiple Kabals. So I prefer it stay the way it is now.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
How it doesn't work that way? Run is connected to forward dash which is connected to the cancelling of special moves. That's how they designed it to work.
I wasn't talking about MKX design.
Other than that, nothing could stop NRS from binding all necessary cancelling/dashing/running frames to one button, they just decided not to.
Not that running is really harder than dash combos from MK9, it's just annoying how NRS is completely deaf to feedback on stance switch.

You know how dangerous Raiden would be with a run button?
Implying it will make it possible to do something that is otherwise impossible.
If that's too much, then nerf character, not interface.

You said yourself, you don't need button to use stance-switching normals.
Also, it sucks as a feint.

Last edited:

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I would rather of had a run button, myself. I can do run cancels and block just fine, but I felt this is a more friendlier method for other players.