What's new

Run Macro vs Stance Switch

Should NRS Implement A Run Macro?

• Total voters

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Venomous D'Vorah players will be extinct once they get option selected out of any offense. Come join the Swarm. As you suffer, we enjoy. lol
I raise your option select with my offensive option select good sir.

And I also love how venom stacks too much to stop playing it. Taking half of someone's life with pokes=:D

I agree with zeros guy. The way controls are designed is clunky. Its managable, but its not intuitive and could have been more simple. What would not make game less deep, but it would make it more fun and easy for casuals to get in.
People who play games today are a bit older than ones before. So most of those people today dont have all day to practice, not how to play, but how to press buttons.
Maybe they improve controls at some point. But very unlikely. It could only happen if people start bashing on this on several sites for months.

P.S. why is switch stance important to Devorah?

I can do it either way, but I don't think its execution threshold is really necessary.

We most likely have different philosophies about fighting games. I don't think execution should be a hinderance that prevents you as the player from doing something you want/need to do. This is the reason why throw macros were implemented in fighting games in the first place. It allowed pad players to do what they wanted to without having to perform a difficult button input.

If you want to keep using the old way, you are more than welcome to keep doing so. But remember run use to be just a button press (MK3, UMK3) and was just recently changed to f,f block.[/QUOTE

a
This is a bad reason to not have a run button.
I realize im in a room of can'ts fine! .... gets the fuck out

I'm a bit late to this party, but I voted for a run button, but for reasons I haven't seen discussed here:

Movement in fighting games is one of the basic fundamentals. You need to be able to move efficiently to dodge, defend, play footsies, and attack, so movement should always be the most efficient input possible. Any beginner should be able to do all of the movements the game allows quickly and easily. That's why all of the movements are the same for every character, and are one button press (except for dash/backdash, but I'll get to that in a minute). Duck is down, jump is up, up/forward, or up/back, step backward is back, and step forward is forward. At this point, we run out of directional inputs and have to use other things, so block (which is could be argued is a movement, but it's definitely a fundamental) becomes a dedicated button. Dashing either way is a simple double tap, which is something pretty much any child could do. When you make run F,F, BL, you're essentially turning it into a special move, which has a slightly higher barrier to entry. Yes, it's a rather easy input, but it still required execution some people won't have. In fact, B, B and F, F inputs are the number one reason I play with a pad, because I can't seem to get left, left to come out reliably on a stick. Yes, I could put in the time in practice mode, but I can do it easily on a pad and I'd rather spend the little time I have available on learning to counter and/or punish specific things from other characters than trying to learn a basic movement on a new controller.

With regular special moves, there are ways around them. If a beginner has a stick and finds it especially difficult to do the motion for Scorpion's spear from one side or the other, yes, the correct option is to practice until it works, but not everyone has enough time to devote to that, so they also have the choice to play a character whose specials don't have the input. If they can't run, though, they don't have that option, which means they have to either ignore the run mechanic altogether or spend a bunch of time grinding it out in practice mode before they can really start learning any of the basic principles of the game (and have any fun fighting). That makes us less likely to attract new players and keeps our community smaller.

In addition, it really goes against the basic principles of fighting games - movement should be easy and efficient, and maximizing damage should require execution and skill. The better you get, the more reliably you can damage your opponent. You shouldn't have to practice and level up to incorporate a basic movement mechanic.