What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'll PayPal you $3.78 if you tell me how to abuse it.

Granted a lot of this frustration comes from online. I'll make his 122 string whiff, go to punish and get 1. Spun 2. Crossed up 3. 21 spin. It's infuriating.

As for teleport. I just rely on.the ol uppercut it online since its like play in slow motion underwater. But half the damn time I'm to late, wether its lag.or not I don't know because I have 0 Laos to play offline.

#IamMuffinMuggers
Your issue is you're playing online, and you have no Laos. I got to play PL and Forever King offline, so very few Laos actually legitimately scare me.

standing 2 after his tele works great. Forceball him, dash when he's not throwing low hats, and bait his spin. f2 to punish spin. You'll create a guessing game and you can set up jip pressure.

Seapeople

This one's for you
If I could figure out how to full combo his teleport this match would be 100 times easier for me. It's probably one of my worst match ups using Reptile. I usually just stick with Sub or Cyrax because I'm a lot more comfortable with them here :(

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
If I could figure out how to full combo his teleport this match would be 100 times easier for me. It's probably one of my worst match ups using Reptile. I usually just stick with Sub or Cyrax because I'm a lot more comfortable with them here :(
Can't you d1 EX FFB? I haven't played the game in a few days, so I'm forgetting everything lol.

Your issue is you're playing online, and you have no Laos. I got to play PL and Forever King offline, so very few Laos actually legitimately scare me.
your prob right. One of these days I'm going to make it up there to play you Ohio fellas.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Alright I truly believe in this matchup chart. Totally willing to discuss why I think any matchup is what it is.

6-4

Baraka: 6-4
Cyber Sub: 6-4
Ermac: 6-4
Jade: 6-4
Noob: 6-4
Raiden: 6-4
Sheeva: 6-4
Sindel: 6-4
Stryker: 6-4

5-5

Jax: 5-5
Kano: 5-5
Kenshi: 5-5
Kitana: 5-5
Nightwolf: 5-5
Quan Chi: 5-5
Rain: 5-5
Scorpion: 5-5
Shang Tsung: 5-5
Sub Zero: 5-5

4-6

Cage: 4-6
Freddy: 4-6
Kabal: 4-6
Liu Kang: 4-6
Mileena: 4-6
Sektor: 4-6
Skarlet: 4-6
Smoke: 4-6

Just give up

Cyrax: 3-7
Kung Lao: 3-7
Sonya: 3-7

not gonna make my own thread for it

lemme know what you think

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Alright I truly believe in this matchup chart. Totally willing to discuss why I think any matchup is what it is.

6-4

Baraka: 6-4
Noob: 6-4
Stryker: 6-4

5-5

Kenshi: 5-5

4-6

Just give up

not gonna make my own thread for it

lemme know what you think
I think this accurate for the most part. I would however make these changes:

Baraka 7-3
Sheeva 7-3 (easily his best Mu, I think almost 8-2)
Stryker 7-3
Smoke 5-5
Sektor 5-5
Mileena 5-5
Noob 5-5
Kenshi 4-6

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I think this accurate for the most part. I would however make these changes:

Baraka 7-3
Sheeva 7-3 (easily his best Mu, I think almost 8-2)
Stryker 7-3
Smoke 5-5
Sektor 5-5
Mileena 5-5
Noob 5-5
Kenshi 4-6
I actually think he does better vs stryker and baraka than sheeva, sheeva can be really scary in the right hands... nooby from utah was actually beating my reptile with sheeva at scr =[

I could see the other ones being 7-3 though

Smoke: Although I can see Reptile being able to sort of negate the smoke bomb game, smoke can also negate Rep's zoning game, which means it becomes a close up/footsies battle, which I really think Smoke wins because of his normals. He also has a potentially HUGE punish for Elbow Dash.

Sektor: A good Sektor completely shuts down Rep zoning with instant air teleports since Rep's forceballs and spit have such long recovery. Once he does that he controls the full screen game, and his significantly faster normals make him strong up close.

Mileena: I feel like she just has a slight edge in a fullscreen zoning game (safer fireballs and teleports on reaction) plus it's slightly easier for her to get the life lead back if she loses it. Also the lack of good punishes for the EN Teleport is a HUGE bitch.

Noob: Maybe 5-5, they were complaining about it a LOT on the Noob forums though (in Riu's new thread) so idk I just put 6-4.

Kenshi: Yeah theoretically I really think it's 4-6 too, I'll probably just change it to that. I was just worried that I didn't have enough experience, but I have it from both sides and I feel the same way in both places.

so new one would be:

7-3

Baraka: 7-3
Stryker: 7-3

6-4

5-5

Noob: 5-5

4-6

Kenshi: 4-6

Just give up

I am definitely willing to change any of the other ones, just wanna discuss them more.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I actually think he does better vs stryker and baraka than sheeva, sheeva can be really scary in the right hands... nooby from utah was actually beating my reptile with sheeva at scr =[

I could see the other ones being 7-3 though

Smoke: Although I can see Reptile being able to sort of negate the smoke bomb game, smoke can also negate Rep's zoning game, which means it becomes a close up/footsies battle, which I really think Smoke wins because of his normals. He also has a potentially HUGE punish for Elbow Dash.

Sektor: A good Sektor completely shuts down Rep zoning with instant air teleports since Rep's forceballs and spit have such long recovery. Once he does that he controls the full screen game, and his significantly faster normals make him strong up close.

Mileena: I feel like she just has a slight edge in a fullscreen zoning game (safer fireballs and teleports on reaction) plus it's slightly easier for her to get the life lead back if she loses it. Also the lack of good punishes for the EN Teleport is a HUGE bitch.

Noob: Maybe 5-5, they were complaining about it a LOT on the Noob forums though (in Riu's new thread) so idk I just put 6-4.

Kenshi: Yeah theoretically I really think it's 4-6 too, I'll probably just change it to that. I was just worried that I didn't have enough experience, but I have it from both sides and I feel the same way in both places.

so new one would be:

I am definitely willing to change any of the other ones, just wanna discuss them more.
As for Sheeva, she gets completely shut down man. Her armor is really her only savior in this MU, and it can be baited pretty easily. She can't hit him with telestomp because he can dash on reaction and get a free fb after. Once he gets the knockdown that bitch is in the blender.

Smoke- Reptile has no reason to be afraid of smoke bombs because of elbow dash, so he doesn't feel threatened at full screen ever, however Smoke isn't scared of anything Reptile does either. Anywhere from sweep to jump range the match is in Reptile's favor because Smoke has to play very cautiously here. His normals don't reach as far as Reptile's and he has to worry about dash. Up close it's in Smoke's favor, just better tools at his disposal here.

Sektor- I used to say 4-6 to this MU all the time, I have found that using meter for ex fb's in this MU is useful as hell. Do it on knockdown, on reaction to missiles, and I'm pretty sure if you charge them they hit Sektor out of teleuppercuts. Sektor's footsies are slightly better so Reptile can hang but has to play smarter. Sektor on wake up is overrated, get the knockdown and just make sure he doesn't get the chance to do anything. After a while he won't even try and it opens up your oki options.

Noob- Yeah good noob players don't complain about Reptile I promise you hahaha. Reptile can't zone without eating something, whether it be teleport or clones.

THTB

I think Krayzie has drove you nuts with how often you play him... >_>

Reptile has a stronger advantage over Sheeva. 7-3. Same with Baraka.

Noob is only arguably 6-4 because Reptile hits harder. Every other aspect, though leaves it at even.

Kano is 6-4 at the absolute worst.

Jade is also a 7-3. Reptile abuses a lot of her shortcomings pretty bad...flash barely cuts it half the time because of SFB, and dash whiffing shuts off anything advancing.

You already know how I feel about Freddy.

I also don't think Sektor and Smoke beat Reptile. Smoke can't stay away from Reptile, period. He has no real answer to d4 xx acid hand on block, also has weak answers to EX dash, and Reptile has one of the most reliable smoke bomb punishes. Sektor has good footsies, but he doesn't hold an advantage there. As Joker said, Sektor's wakeup is so bad, random dashes to check footsies play fucks with Sektor so bad, because he doesn't want to be knocked down at all.

Dab and I talked about Jax before. We think it's 6-4. There's no reason not to be risky vs Jax midscreen. You can literally dash to stop Jax's pressure and if he doesn't have you cornered, there's zero reason to even be afraid. Meanwhile, Reptile handles ground pound better than a lot of characters, and forces Jax into using EX elbow to stop Reptile's wakeup offense. Jax is really only better when he puts the pressure on or has him cornered, but everywhere else, Reptile is fine, and arguably does better.

I think 16 Bit is the only Kitana that truly acknowledges what Reptile takes away from her. Also, Reptile DOESN'T have to deal with crossup JK fan. He actually has some of the easiest time dealing with characters who can JK xx air projectile.

The more I think about how stupid Reptile's oki can be vs characters who have nothing to deal with it, I realize how stupid dashing to check things is. Risky? Yes, but landing one is so worthwhile. That's why I think the Liu Kang matchup is ONLY a 4-6 instead of a 3-7.

Also, Reptile seriously fucks with Bird Lao...and has so many dumb things that makes it extremely difficult for Lao to actually hit him at times.

I'd like to point out that Jax has a harder time playing the GP game with reptile.
F41 whiffs the one, and you can 321 or 122 or 2 to punish it.
I feel like it could be Reptiles advantage.
Dat corner damage though...

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'd like to point out that Jax has a harder time playing the GP game with reptile.
F41 whiffs the one, and you can 321 or 122 or 2 to punish it.
I feel like it could be Reptiles advantage.
Dat corner damage though...
GP's work just fine if Jax gets the knockdown. Reptile has to burn meter on slide, take a chance and jump, or just eat it. F413 not working is a problem for sure. Here is the thing about this MU that people don't exploit enought though, Jax does just fine vs. Reptile from full screen. Waves and GP's can actually force Reptile to have to come in if done correctly. Oh and if Jax gets a chance to start his pressure hold on to ya butts. I think it's 5-5 just because from what I've experienced whoever can grab the momentum seems to be the one who has the advantage in the fine.

GP's work just fine if Jax gets the knockdown. Reptile has to burn meter on slide, take a chance and jump, or just eat it. F413 not working is a problem for sure. Here is the thing about this MU that people don't exploit enought though, Jax does just fine vs. Reptile from full screen. Waves and GP's can actually force Reptile to have to come in if done correctly. Oh and if Jax gets a chance to start his pressure hold on to ya butts. I think it's 5-5 just because from what I've experienced whoever can grab the momentum seems to be the one who has the advantage in the fine.
Reptile can standing 4 and make gp whiff lol. I don't know if full screen us exactly where i want to be as reptile, but he has a way easier time getting in from any distance. I've heard that all Jax needs to do is stay in a distance where he can block a dash, but Jax has the same problem if reptile just ducks while in that sweet spot.
I agree though is heavily based on momentum. I just think reptile controls it better, maybe I'm not playing the right Jax either lol who knows

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Reptile can standing 4 and make gp whiff lol. I don't know if full screen us exactly where i want to be as reptile, but he has a way easier time getting in from any distance. I've heard that all Jax needs to do is stay in a distance where he can block a dash, but Jax has the same problem if reptile just ducks while in that sweet spot.
I agree though is heavily based on momentum. I just think reptile controls it better, maybe I'm not playing the right Jax either lol who knows
I was referring to GP's after a 12 knockdown, but yeah Reptile can standing 4 them though. Reptile wants to be anywhere but up close in this MU, Jax's footsies are superior as well as his pressure game. If both these characters end up being in the sweet spot for their punishable specials, then Jax has the advantage because he doesn't HAVE to dash punch to get in on Reptile.

THTB

Like I said, Dab and I both agreed on Reptile going 6-4 vs him, so it's not exactly you playing the wrong Jax players.

Espio

Kokomo
Yeah, Sheeva doesn't do better than Baraka or Stryker versus Reptile. I'd say 7-3 too, she really struggles versus Reptile.

Reptile beats Jade 7-3 in my opinion. She can't play her solid spacing game, her ranged options suffer, her zoning is so unsafe due to dash, she can't punish dash for relevant damage without using ex glow. Forceballs are not a non-issue in this match up with flash so those are my thoughts.