What's new

Quan Chi Matchup Discussion Thread

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
srry bout tht bro. this guy is a winer on xbox so i had to strike back. anyway all bs aside he is an ok quan but he learned from me and dink so wat he says is less valid than wat me or dink say
lol dude i dont use cyrax he flawlessed my cyrax i havent used him 3 months and i beat his quan his quan is complete garbage lol i learned nothing from him he just using cover ups lol ur garb raptor

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
srry bout tht bro. this guy is a winer on xbox so i had to strike back. anyway all bs aside he is an ok quan but he learned from me and dink so wat he says is less valid than wat me or dink say
i beat back to bat 2 country after 3 days of quan chi hes the 2nd best or was ...anyway lol everyone should have heard him rage when i beat his quan with ermac omg so funny hahahha his mom even took away his xbox one day because he was screaming at 2:00 in the morning just get better raptor remember i dont like getting free wins all the time from you so yea ....anyway enough truth been im done

SLy

Noob
Jade v quan chi matchup changed to 5.5-4.5. Although its still slightly in her favor in my opinion her u3 nerf lifts a little bit of weight of quan chil shoulders..and due to quan chi buffs he's even more deadly to jade once he gets in

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I'm trying to figure out HOW Quan vs Jade is a 6-4 in Jade's favor....Sure you can't zone her out with runes and skull, but trance beats regular glow, so there's always a possibility of baiting out a glow. Also, considering Quan capitalizes big time off a trance when he has meter, I just don't see how it's in her favor.

SLy

Noob
I'm trying to figure out HOW Quan vs Jade is a 6-4 in Jade's favor....Sure you can't zone her out with runes and skull, but trance beats regular glow, so there's always a possibility of baiting out a glow. Also, considering Quan capitalizes big time off a trance when he has meter, I just don't see how it's in her favor.
I dont understand..A Jade can Evade Skull with Glow on Reaction..If there arent any skulls on screen then she doesnt need to glow...Its impossible for Quan chi To Throw skull then immediately trance and still manage to catch her..Jades Recovery off Glow is to Great..Her Ex Glow is best used for Quan Chi Pressure..The Chances of you Pressuring and randomly throwing a trance to bait Ex Glow is highly unlikely..If Quan chi misses any trance he gets Shadow kicked Across the Screen..

Throws Skulls = Glow then Shadow Kicked Across the Screen (Or just Ex Shadow Kick)
Failed Teleports = Punish Ending with shadow Kicks which means your across the screen
Failed Trance = Punish Ending with shadow Kicks which means your across the screen

Sucessful Knockdown..Attempt to apply pressure...

However Quan Chi Attemping pressure on jade is never assured if Jade has meter..Quan Chi has to work his way torwards her. And with so many ways Jade can avoid pressure its not as easy for him. Quan chi has to take more risk than Jade to win..Risk are never in anybodies Favor.. However U3 nerf made it a little bit easier for quan chi to get in because you can just duck it..But a good jade is going to read this and you would end up eating a b3 2 shadow kicks and your back to square 1...But once quan chi gets started its really nothing she can do outside of EX unless jade wants to do a risky wake up..

4.5-5.5 For Quan chi at best

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I think you're underestimating the time of recovery skulls actually have. I'm gonna have to test your above scenario about skull to trance and see if it doesn't work, but I know at an appropriate range, you will not be glowing to shadowkick off a skull. I'm wondering what punishment you're referring to on a whiff skydrop? Or are you referring to a blocked sky drop?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
what are you guys thoughts on the following matchups

vs kang
vs kenshi
vs ermac

im considering learning quan and i dont like above matchups with my main raka

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
From my match up experience this weekend, what I notice about Quan imo is that rush down characters give him a decent amount of trouble. The basics that I try and cover each match is punishing fireballs with skydrop at careful timings. Also D3 pokes out of pressure. I don't know how I feel about his match ups though, I feel like his worst are Sonya, Skarlet *good ones, aka detroit*, Kang, etc.

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
I've played Quan for hours on end this past weekend, so I'm going to share most if not all my info.

First off, I think he should be played as a rush down character. He's only got one projectile, and despite the fact that his trance wins any trade you will get punished for a blocked trance closer than 3/4 screen. If you want to try and trade I found it best to throw it out at peculiar times, not when they expect, also don't spam it (trying to brake that habit) if you get close to sweep/jip distance you can trance for AA at a certain time but the timing has to be spot on. He's built on meter, obviously, but without it he can still do massive amounts of meterless damage. Sometimes he feels like a comeback character too. It's all catching them in a trance or B3 1+2 or string into trance so that they will break, like using other characters and catching people in combos, projectiles, etc. Once they've broken and I catch them again it's usually an enormous amount of damage that they are punished with.

So, since I consider this character best for rush down there are a couple things I want to take a look at.

And as a side note if someone would like to find these properties on block it would be awesome.

B3 1+2 : (low, medium) It's probably the best string, and when it's blocked every once in awhile you can throw in an uppercut afterward to catch people jumping.
B2 1: (high, high) very good at punishing blocked teleports (that ball spin looking hooplah), the combo I use and I've seen been used is B2 1 B2 1 112 trance 11 skydrop into rune trap and mixups.
F1 2: (high, low) I've been debating the use of this for multiple reasons. First off, it's start up is slow, and it's very noticeable, almost every time people see it coming and think (time to block low.) The only time I really use it is to finish a meterless combo with F1 2, 1+2. Although F1 can be used after an air to air punch, into trance, trance, 11 skydrop rune trap or mixup.
B3 3: (low, high) I have yet to use this consistently, but I will try it in upcoming matches.
B1 1: (high, high) I've tried to use this as an AA with not much success, it's got good push back combo wise, I'm not 100% but I think after B3 1+2 you can get 2 trances.
212: (h,h,h) awesome, string used in rune trap, I've also used 21 throw to end a rune trap with no meter.
I use most of these strings in combos, mixups, and resets.
AA: uppercut is the best answer imo, trances can sometimes catch people, and also NJP, B2 1, B2 1,(or maybe just one, will test today) 112 trance, 11 skydrop into rune trap. I've also tried backing up and doing B3 1+2 but it's risky and tends to whiff.
I'm going to try and see what block strings I can come up with, because I think they will be useful in his rushdown, as apposed to throwing out a B3 1+2 most of the time.
Also, I've had people try and jump out of the rune trap, which causes them to get caught in 212 which I can trance afterward straight back into rune trap after 11SD. Although, sometimes only 2 hits and the rest whiffs.. any advice on this?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The animation is long enough to hitconfirm it too. So there are methods to make it safe if it's not.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I dont understand..A Jade can Evade Skull with Glow on Reaction..If there arent any skulls on screen then she doesnt need to glow...Its impossible for Quan chi To Throw skull then immediately trance and still manage to catch her..Jades Recovery off Glow is to Great..Her Ex Glow is best used for Quan Chi Pressure..The Chances of you Pressuring and randomly throwing a trance to bait Ex Glow is highly unlikely..If Quan chi misses any trance he gets Shadow kicked Across the Screen..

Throws Skulls = Glow then Shadow Kicked Across the Screen (Or just Ex Shadow Kick)
Failed Teleports = Punish Ending with shadow Kicks which means your across the screen
Failed Trance = Punish Ending with shadow Kicks which means your across the screen

Sucessful Knockdown..Attempt to apply pressure...

However Quan Chi Attemping pressure on jade is never assured if Jade has meter..Quan Chi has to work his way torwards her. And with so many ways Jade can avoid pressure its not as easy for him. Quan chi has to take more risk than Jade to win..Risk are never in anybodies Favor.. However U3 nerf made it a little bit easier for quan chi to get in because you can just duck it..But a good jade is going to read this and you would end up eating a b3 2 shadow kicks and your back to square 1...But once quan chi gets started its really nothing she can do outside of EX unless jade wants to do a risky wake up..

4.5-5.5 For Quan chi at best
quan vs jade is 6-4 quans favor.

skulls or not, far rune will hit. shadow kick is extremely easy to uppercut. and jades that glow on wakeup...FO GET A BOUT IT!

Gisump

Shadow Clone
low AND overhead in the same string? Unavoidable block traps? skydrop pressure? Ermac zoning (Skulls and trance). Thats not overpowered or anything.

oBryant

Noob
thx to his non existing wakeup "options", all his matchups are worse in my opinion
How about block? That is always an option. Why give every character an offensive wake up game? So that every matchup is the same? Some characters are made to be defensive and dont have a move you constantly have to look out for on wake up cause they want you to block more in order to get your defense going. To me, Quan is a Momentum character much like Makoto in SF. Once he gets on you its death but when Quan is rushed he has a hard time due to his bad wake ups and slow starting normals. besides his uppercut, sweep, and teleport, he is pretty much frame trap friendly unless you can catch him Enhanced teleport while he is pressing buttons.

Cyber-sub is a bad matchup strictly cause he is just better, he has all the tools to rush Quan down no questions asked, Try playing "Test your might's" C-sub with quan. I promise you will agree with the matchup chart.

oBryant

Noob
thx to his non existing wakeup "options", all his matchups are worse in my opinion
low AND overhead in the same string? Unavoidable block traps? skydrop pressure? Ermac zoning (Skulls and trance). Thats not overpowered or anything.
considering my last post. His trap isnt all that great if who you are playing can enhanced Reverse the normals. His blockstrings are slower then shit, You can literately see the mix up. If you have bad defense than you are going to get trucked. IF quan gets trapped in a frame trap (caugh caugh *shang") he pretty much HAS to use meter to escape or hope to god they mess up their string and try to get a cr.2 or cr.4 Mid Enh Rune and then you can follow up with a f.1 2 blah blah and so on.

myth

Noob
considering my last post. His trap isnt all that great if who you are playing can enhanced Reverse the normals. His blockstrings are slower then shit, You can literately see the mix up. If you have bad defense than you are going to get trucked. IF quan gets trapped in a frame trap (caugh caugh *shang") he pretty much HAS to use meter to escape or hope to god they mess up their string and try to get a cr.2 or cr.4 Mid Enh Rune and then you can follow up with a f.1 2 blah blah and so on.

NRS really needs to reduce his frames. Especially u3.

FortaySeven

I don't care
What's a good strategy to get an opener against a good Kitana?

Kitana always keeps me pinned with a constant f21 (i think) into combo / d1's if i block.

Jumping out is my only option and the cross over is impossible to connect. Combos after I land are almost always blocked or i get hit before they get off and either way it returns to the f21/d1 again. Backing up after the cross over seems like my best bet but then i just end up ducking to avoid the anti-screen barrage and getting a trance off is nearly impossible.

Kitana and cage are my hardest matchups and I simply have no idea what to do against them.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
What's a good strategy to get an opener against a good Kitana?

Kitana always keeps me pinned with a constant f21 (i think) into combo / d1's if i block.

Jumping out is my only option and the cross over is impossible to connect. Combos after I land are almost always blocked or i get hit before they get off and either way it returns to the f21/d1 again. Backing up after the cross over seems like my best bet but then i just end up ducking to avoid the anti-screen barrage and getting a trance off is nearly impossible.

Kitana and cage are my hardest matchups and I simply have no idea what to do against them.
Kitana: Zone the bitch. time her jumps and hit her with skulls. you can punish her flying anus if she lands around you with a rune trap if you got it or b11 trance.everytime she does d1, expect d1 cutter and get ready to release block and uppercut.

Johnny Cage: This is a nightmare matchup for quan chi. you need your d3 here. wait for an opneing to use it, as soon as you hit it, go into b3,1+2. other than that, zone him out, if he hits you with a ex shadow kick, tech roll and continue. its only 8% so dont be scared of taking the damage unless its game winning

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Johnny Cage: This is a nightmare matchup for quan chi. you need your d3 here. wait for an opneing to use it, as soon as you hit it, go into b3,1+2. other than that, zone him out, if he hits you with a ex shadow kick, tech roll and continue. its only 8% so dont be scared of taking the damage unless its game winning
Make sure you jump as much as possible against Cage because he can't do anything about it. Dash in and use Down1 pressure. When he's at full screen, blast him with an EX Rune. Try to anti-air him with close regular runes. And when he gets in and pressures you, try to activate a skeletal boost in between block strings. You might get the damage boost and then you WIN!

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Kitana: Zone the bitch. time her jumps and hit her with skulls. you can punish her flying anus if she lands around you with a rune trap if you got it or b11 trance.everytime she does d1, expect d1 cutter and get ready to release block and uppercut.

be careful about relying on cage players to use ex shadow kick, a good cage will only ever use it if you're backed into a corner or to finish the round, the outcome of it is totally against what cage needs meter for