Quan Chi Matchup Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Quan Chi' started by Konqrr, Aug 7, 2011.

1. How do you guys play the Kenshi mu? I was doing pretty well against Btk_Hy3na in offline casuals last night. I make him respect the skull toss, since reflect at certain distances is useless, forcing him to play footsies with me, then using tools like B3 and F1,2 to put him into pressure. This is called a 6-4, right? Is it mostly because of Kenshi's far superior armor and Quan's weak wake up game. He also has no good answer to F3,2, imo, but almost no one really does. Abusing rune trap pressure and mix ups seem to be the way to play this mu. Also, I made skull trade favorably with teleflurry once or twice because Quan's hitbox change. Is this able to be done consistently or is it just by chance? Is there any Kenshi projectile that you can trade trance with? Even after trying for several games, it seemed impossible to trade trance with teleflurry. I have to assume this is just the fate of the match. Is it worth zoning with runes in this mu (I doubt it)? Also, if you're a man, you'll win a set with "walk up, x-ray". Those are my thoughts right now. Input?
  2. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Lord of the Sick

lots of footsies and traps I guess. trance isn't really worth trying unless after an uppercut or something. tele stomp works quite well in this matchup (to the left or right of kenshi) as long as it's when they're not expecting it. You can try to stomp him when he is throwing out gay images of himself. Some tech that might work is throwing a skull and right after throw out a tele stomp to see if he will try to reflect it, then continue with pressure. D4 to mid rune probably works well here also.
    Grolarbears likes this.
  3. Insuperable

Insuperable My mom tells me I'm pretty

If you're playing against a really good Kenshi, you'll be lucky to get inside without trance trades/guesses/read. Skull is useless if Kenshi crouches it. If you try the double skull toss thing from full screen, Kenshi can just dash in and reflect, forcing you to block the skull and the flurry/overhead. Runes have too slow of a startup for Quan to zone out Kenshi with that. You'll just eat flurry after flurry, but runes aren't uselss in this matchup. They're very good, but you have to understand when to use them I guess. When you get into the corner. Pray ;_; hahahah

However, STB Shujinkydink did very well against Pig Of The Hut in Final Round casuals/money matches. Do you have any tips on this matchup? (I'm asking both Dink and Pig :p)
    STB Espio and Pig Of The Hut like this.
  4. Pig Of The Hut

Pig Of The Hut Kryptonian General - Kneel Before Me

Counter pick me or stay free lol

seriously jokes aside its 7-3 bad
  5. STB Shujinkydink

STB Shujinkydink The Sultan of Swag Staff Member Moderator

im hesitant to say its a 7-3 simply because of the rune trap factor, but its just so difficult to get in that even that doesnt seem like enough in this MU.

staying sweep distance and timing a spot to get in is all I can think of. Armoring through RK with skydrop isnt always a bad idea either, and leaves you fairly close
  6. KingRey

KingRey Noob

Next topic Quan vs Shang........GO!
  7. STB Shujinkydink

It's hard.those upskull traps are nearly impossible to get out of unless you want to try your luck with ex skydrop. Midscreen is ok because of trance trades with fireballs but if trance is blocked your going for a ride. 6-4 shang
    ERR0R MACR0, KingRey and DemoniChris like this.
  8. G4S Killin Natzees

G4S Killin Natzees Reptile for MKX

How in the tits is Liu a 3-7? I think it's a lot easier than Sonya which is another 3-7
  9. Insuperable

Insuperable My mom tells me I'm pretty

The difference is that Sonya vs Quan is only 3-7 because of rune trap. Without it, it would be 2-8 ;_; Liu vs Quan is based on all of his tools
  10. DemoniChris

I think if you grind this matchup enough it becomes 6-4 Liu. He has incredible pressure, still, and you simply cannot out zone him. Trance trades with fireball are really handy in this one
    STB Shujinkydink likes this.
  11. Quan chi vs Raiden???
  12. DemoniChris

5-5
  13. Durango

Durango I'm a noob.

I don't see how Quan Chi's only 6-4 against Sub-Zero. There's not much Subby can do to him mid-screen. Trade ice with skulls or punish with slide and that's about it. Trance-baiting and free whiffed teleports that can't be punished makes him more like 7-3 at the least.
  14. Rude

Rude Born Villain

Sub can punish a whiffed teleport. Easily.
  15. Primal Raptor

Primal Raptor Quan-Cheesy

All of these match ups that are positive are true, and people arguing against that clearly don't understand the power of d2.

16. Sub can punish whiffed teles with 22~full combo or pressure set up.

The Kenshi Quan match up sucks lol. There's really nothing he can do. You have to make reads and gamble. If you're luck enough to hold onto your meter and make a couple of good guesses, you can take a match. It's an uphill battle all the way. If you get cornered and constant pressure, ES Telestomp is your friend.
  17. STB Shujinkydink

Never underestimate the power of a patient sub zero. If he gets the life lead it's really hard
  18. Primal Raptor

Primal Raptor Quan-Cheesy

Quan Chi is highly aggressive, so yeah, that's a very valid point.
    STB Shujinkydink likes this.