What's new

Quan Chi Matchup Discussion Thread

oBryant

Noob
What's a good strategy to get an opener against a good Kitana?

Kitana always keeps me pinned with a constant f21 (i think) into combo / d1's if i block.

Jumping out is my only option and the cross over is impossible to connect. Combos after I land are almost always blocked or i get hit before they get off and either way it returns to the f21/d1 again. Backing up after the cross over seems like my best bet but then i just end up ducking to avoid the anti-screen barrage and getting a trance off is nearly impossible.

Kitana and cage are my hardest matchups and I simply have no idea what to do against them.
If you manage to jump out of her strings and pokes try to immediately get rune traps on her. Use F.1,2 E RUNE or teleportt infront of them. The teleport can be used to bait things out of people or reset your pressure but it can be punished. The Rune, well its unblockable and its safe on block. The only thing you can do to avoid the Ex Rune is to Reverse the Normal block string with an armor move like reptiles Ex slide attack or johnnys summersault or w/e. I try to keep kitana away at F.1,2 distance. Ex teleport drop when she is instant air fanning.

Yeah? I honestly don't know the matchup all that well. If I've beaten a Quan Chi it's just cause I beat the player.

Seems to me like Quan Chi basically plays the same against everyone. Like no matter who he's fighting Trance and Rune trap always keep him in the game should he find himself with meter to burn. What's Mileena got on him you think?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
What's the overall opinion on Quan Chi vs Mileena?
id say its 5-5 but a close 5-5. the fact that you can punish her roll and teleport with trance into rune trap is big. her zoning can be a problem, and her d4 of course is annoying. But her pressure isnt good enough to give her a huge advantage. A mileena who throws alot tho will be successful

id say its 5-5 but a close 5-5. the fact that you can punish her roll and teleport with trance into rune trap is big. her zoning can be a problem, and her d4 of course is annoying. But her pressure isnt good enough to give her a huge advantage. A mileena who throws alot tho will be successful
Ok thanks. Guess it's good to know that between you and Pig Mileena actually isn't bad off in this match like I figured she would be.

Lol, seems like now that people understand her more Mileena loses to everybody lately.

FortaySeven

I don't care
Thanks for the suggestions, they should help.

I agree that mileena is a pretty even matchup, most players i fight don't seem to do b3 roll so i haven't needed to block low which made it a lot easier

Make sure you jump as much as possible against Cage because he can't do anything about it.
I was getting AA'd by a standing punch into a combo, below was my last fight against a johnny cage - he is above my skill level and the best cage player i've fought but in any case, I do see some mistakes I made watching the video again but for the most part I don't see much of an opening, and it was frustrating as you can tell by my reaction :)

myth

Noob
for the most part I don't see much of an opening, and it was frustrating as you can tell by my reaction :)
check out Hidan in this ( http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?13542-Quan-Chi-Gameplay-Video-Thread ) thread, that should give you a base for how to deal with a solid cage.

my farts smell like fried chicken.

I think mayo was trollin when he said

Make sure you jump as much as possible against Cage because he can't do anything about it. Dash in and use Down1 pressure. When he's at full screen, blast him with an EX Rune. Try to anti-air him with close regular runes. And when he gets in and pressures you, try to activate a skeletal boost in between block strings. You might get the damage boost and then you WIN!

skeletal boost in between block strings... don't take that seriously.

Smells tasty in here.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
So I've been playing Quan for roughly a week now and I agree with the statement that he's supposed to be played as a rushdown character. I'm also attempting to break the habit of spamming trance since it's horribly punishable at the wrong distance on whiff/block. I need to start using F12 1+2 more as well since 1+2 is slow, predictable and very punishable with trance. Kitana and Sindel have been giving me the most problems; I have no idea how the fuck I'm supposed to approach those characters - Quan's skull isn't that great and trying to get the drop on them with skydrop is suicide. Kitana will d1 you into oblivion with her ridiculous range if you even attempt to approach her. Apparently Sindel has some actual mixups, too, which have been royally fucking me.

In my limited experience, it seems like Quan's greatest tools are d3, b31+2, his uppercut for AAs (still a pretty shitty AA imo but it's fast), 212 ex runes and the occasional u3 trance. Which is risky and highly punishable but it still catches a lot of people.

Ultimately, I feel like once the 'mindfuck' factor to Quan Chi wears off, pretty much everyone in the cast dominates him. Especially characters that can keep him out or out pressure him. KL, Raiden, Kitana, Sindel, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Kabal, etc. In closing, I cannot see this character ever performing well due to the fact that he's walked all over by the upper tiers. IF EX trance had armor, as opposed to draining meter, he'd be a significantly better character. Oh yeah, what idiot gave him 'armor' on EX skydrop - which still remains just as punishable on block? What a joke.

Good luck. I need to just tier whore already. Aggravating knowing that if EX trance had armor he'd have an actual defense, and a fear factor to him, but that's NRS for ya. Some characters get 100% midscreen resets, others gets useless armor.

no matchups in quan chis favor? :confused:
I feel like Reptile vs Quan is in Quan's favor, I could be wrong about that though. I likely am.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Make sure you jump as much as possible against Cage because he can't do anything about it. Dash in and use Down1 pressure. When he's at full screen, blast him with an EX Rune. Try to anti-air him with close regular runes. And when he gets in and pressures you, try to activate a skeletal boost in between block strings. You might get the damage boost and then you WIN!

Lol. Best advice ever.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Thanks for the suggestions, they should help.

I agree that mileena is a pretty even matchup, most players i fight don't seem to do b3 roll so i haven't needed to block low which made it a lot easier

I was getting AA'd by a standing punch into a combo, below was my last fight against a johnny cage - he is above my skill level and the best cage player i've fought but in any case, I do see some mistakes I made watching the video again but for the most part I don't see much of an opening, and it was frustrating as you can tell by my reaction :)
Learn an AA combo, you couldve destroyed that Cage player just from his jumps considering every time he got close to you it was because of jumping.

myth

Noob
Kitana and Sindel have been giving me the most problems; I have no idea how the fuck I'm supposed to approach those characters - Quan's skull isn't that great and trying to get the drop on them with skydrop is suicide. Kitana will d1 you into oblivion with her ridiculous range if you even attempt to approach her. Apparently Sindel has some actual mixups, too, which have been royally fucking me.
The way i deal with Kit is trying to trade trance for fans, using skeletal boost when you can read it, and using f1,2 EX gb a good bit if you cant get in. For Sin i duno myself.

In my limited experience, it seems like Quan's greatest tools are d3, b31+2, his uppercut for AAs (still a pretty shitty AA imo but it's fast), 212 ex runes and the occasional u3 trance. Which is risky and highly punishable but it still catches a lot of people.
I agree totally. I think the fix for this would be less frames on d3, b3 1+2, armored ex trance & skeletal boost, and a new string that moves forward,ends in a over head and can be link'd to trance (like: f1,2 ,u3 trance).

Oh yeah, what idiot gave him 'armor' on EX skydrop - which still remains just as punishable on block? What a joke.
agree

Good luck. I need to just tier whore already. Aggravating knowing that if EX trance had armor he'd have an actual defense, and a fear factor to him, but that's NRS for ya. Some characters get 100% midscreen resets, others gets useless armor.

I feel like Reptile vs Quan is in Quan's favor, I could be wrong about that though. I likely am.
I think vs Scorpion is in Quan's favor but that's just me.

GNG Iniquity

5-5 vs Sindel - feels like a 4-6 in Sindel's favor to me with the new Sindel. Quan can skydrop easily on Sindel's air fireballs but it still seems to be in her favor.

5-5 vs Stryker - feels like a 7-3 in Stryker's favor to me. Can't zone him, can't drop on him, difficult to approach him. Any advice would be appreciated.

4-6 vs Johnny Cage - What the hell are you supposed to do in this MU? How can you effectively get Johnny off of you? This feels like a 7-3 IF the JC player is familiar with Quan and knows his strings. Quan isn't much of a zoner so I don't see how he's supposed to effectively keep JC out; certainly can't do anything to alleviate the pressure.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
noob I have as a 5-5. his zoning is somewhat effective against quan but a well timed jump into skydrop sets up a rune trap. you can bait upshadow pretty easily and punish with trance into w/e. His mixups are what I have trouble with.

JC and Sonya I believe should be 7-3's for them.

Kitana is 6-4 quan. You can outzone the hell outta her, uppercut the shizzle outta half her strings, theres no reason to block high against her, and you can trance her out of the air on pretty much everything she tries to do.

myth

Noob
that cage wasnt very good lol. I hope your not basing it of that video
Maybe your right...
Know any video i could base-off of?
when ever i play Cage i can typically handle him...

Read exS-kick, zone him out till punish with trap.

Once he gets in he can definitely be a problem but ,in my experience.compared to Jax; Cage is gentle.

GNG Iniquity

2-8 vs Kung Lao

Nah, it's a 10-0 Kung Lao. Just got ANNIHILATED by a KL player who isn't stuck in vanilla mode. Pressure machine with ridiculous mobility. Why can't Quan be like this? Piece of shit predictable strings. "Block low, u3's suicide anyways!" The truth right there...I'm just going to walk away next time. My ass hurts.

@ Shujinkydink What do you think of this MU? I can actually deal with Cage well enough, I have no answers for KL, none.

GNG Iniquity

4-6 vs Sonya Blade

How is this a 4-6? Sonya has a significantly better projectile, she has THE best brainless counter-pressure tool in the game, MS 50/50, great pokes, etc. Quan has to approach her. I can't tell you how many brainless d4 EX kart wheel Sonyas I've lost to tonight. Feels more like a 3-7, especially if Sonya is constantly pressuring the hell out of you with MS F1.

Iniquity--off topic--, 'just realized we had a few quan games earlier :D (phantasmagorian.) gg

KL and Smoke are still enemies of the state and master-blast my ass out the back for pennies on the dollar. U__U

GNG Iniquity

Iniquity--off topic--, 'just realized we had a few quan games earlier :D (phantasmagorian.) gg

KL and Smoke are still enemies of the state and master-blast my ass out the back for pennies on the dollar. U__U
Ah, yes! GGs sir! He just has so many bad MUs...lol. I figured Kano was a bad MU for him as well, up ball really out prioritizes the shit out of Quan lol. I need to work on my hit confirming with Quan, his strings are slower than churning butter, certainly I can manage to stop doing that :p