What's new

Quan Chi Matchup Discussion Thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
After discussions with AdmiralAugustus Hidan Shujinkydink and myself, an updated Quan Chi matchup chart has finally been made! Welcome to the Netherrealm.

Baraka: 5-5
Cyber Sub-Zero: 4-6
Cyrax: 4-6
Ermac: 5-5
Freddy Krueger: 4-6
Jade: 6-4
Jax: 5-5
Johnny Cage: 4-6
Kabal: 4-6
Kano: 5-5
Kenshi: 4-6
Kitana: 4-6
Kung Lao: 5-5
Liu Kang: 3-7
Mileena: 4-6
Nightwolf: 5-5
Noob Saibot: 5-5
Raiden: 5-5
Rain: 5-5
Reptile: 5-5
Scorpion: 5-5
Sektor: 5-5
Shang Tsung: 5-5
Sheeva: 6-4
Sindel: 4-6
Skarlet: 5-5
Smoke: 4-6
Sonya Blade: 3-7
Stryker: 5-5
Sub-Zero: 6-4

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I honestly think the 4-6 subzero matchup should be more 5-5. Ice clones can be beaten by trance, if you're spacing yourself correctly. You can also trade and beat ice balls (hehe) with trance. Killing off his clones and ice balls makes him try and put on the pressure. You can bait his slides then punish him. All I'm saying is a sub player is going to have to work harder than a 6-4.

Ninja Edit: But not much harder..

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Jet3000 said:
Because Kano is one of Quan chi worst MU. His zoning that good and the knife is so fast makes quan chi hard to approach so it's
3-7
Then the Freddy matchup is 9-1 because he has way more options and Kano's old knife throw where he basically recovers as soon as he throws it.

I honestly think the 4-6 subzero matchup should be more 5-5. Ice clones can be beaten by trance
With how slow the trance is, you almost have to commit to doing it in anticipation of a clone coming out. That is very risky. With how Sub can walk you to the corner (he does this to everyone w/o a teleport) and how he basically negates the teleport stomp (clone placement and block), it's rough for Quan Chi.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Zero matchups in Quan's favor? I don't play him myself but there has to be something wrong here...

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
With how slow the trance is, you almost have to commit to doing it in anticipation of a clone coming out. That is very risky. With how Sub can walk you to the corner (he does this to everyone w/o a teleport) and how he basically negates the teleport stomp (clone placement and block), it's rough for Quan Chi.
You don't want to skydrop on Sub Zero, that's true. I learned that the hard way. With all respect Konqrr, the Ice clone business, I don't buy it. A good sub zero player is going to be putting his clone on screen a lot during the match, so you should never be really guessing whether or not it's going to be there. Because, you know it will. So I don't find it hard to read.

Another example....

Let's say a subzero player is putting on pressure. He's using 2, 1, 2, clone on block, 2, 1, 4, clone on block, etc. If you read this properly you can Trance or Ex Trance after the last hit when he goes to clone. Jump back and set up your combo.

You have some pretty good points, but I think Quan can make it equally as tough on Sub as Sub makes it tough on Quan. Jumping is out of the question, obviously, and like I said, trance beats frostball. I still stand by 5/5.

Zero matchups in Quan's favor? I don't play him myself but there has to be something wrong here...
Not IN his favor. Just an even match. ;)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You don't want to skydrop on Sub Zero, that's true. I learned that the hard way. With all respect Konqrr, the Ice clone business, I don't buy it. A good sub zero player is going to be putting his clone on screen a lot during the match, so you should never be really guessing whether or not it's going to be there. Because, you know it will. So I don't find it hard to read.

Another example....

Let's say a subzero player is putting on pressure. He's using 2, 1, 2, clone on block, 2, 1, 4, clone on block, etc. If you read this properly you can Trance or Ex Trance after the last hit when he goes to clone. Jump back and set up your combo.

You have some pretty good points, but I think Quan can make it equally as tough on Sub as Sub makes it tough on Quan. Jumping is out of the question, obviously, and like I said, trance beats frostball. I still stand by 5/5.
That's the thing. You have to make a read to do it, thus committing to the trance, to punish it. What if Sub does 212 and doesn't clone, but blocks? You eat a full combo.

Think of this... Sheeva can make a read that Kung Lao is going to do a spin, she baits it and punishes him for it. Does that make the matchup easier or down from 7-3 to a 6-4 because she can punish spin? Not a chance.

Making reads are important in this game, but just because you can make a read and punish someone for something (in this case, a risky read), it doesn't change the fact that it is a difficult matchup.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
That's the thing. You have to make a read to do it, thus committing to the trance, to punish it. What if Sub does 212 and doesn't clone, but blocks? You eat a full combo.

Think of this... Sheeva can make a read that Kung Lao is going to do a spin, she baits it and punishes him for it. Does that make the matchup easier or down from 7-3 to a 6-4 because she can punish spin? Not a chance.

Making reads are important in this game, but just because you can make a read and punish someone for something (in this case, a risky read), it doesn't change the fact that it is a difficult matchup.
I see what you're sayin'. The reason why I think it should be 5/5 is because the trades with trance vs. clone/frostball are in Quan's favor.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I'm not saying it's an easy 5/5 for Quan. You still have to work really damn hard. Especially, if SubZero puts you in the corner. It's a good thing Quan has a gdlk wake-up attack....

NariTuba

disMember
Hello Quan Chi community

I´m a Cyrax player whos helping with the Cyrax Matchup thread and would like to ask you guys for feedback on this matchup. It currently stands as 6-4 in Cyrax´favor. Recently Mustard (top Cyrax player) suggested the following:

i'd also suggest the quan chi a 5-5, at a distance cyrax cant do a whole lot other than bombs and nets as usual, however quan chi is possibly the worst to trade with, if he trances you and you net him, he will escape and still have time to hit you with whatever, not to mention quan chi can sap cyrax's meter with EX trance, and taking away cyrax's meter cripples him, his skull is also far too quick for you to try to trade with as he recovers too quick for it, he can also interupt cyrax's 2,1,2 string with an uppercut, and as cyrax cant punish his uppercut there is no reason for the Quan chi to not be mashing it at all times, the reason id consider this 5-5 and not 4-6 is because cyrax can really keep quan chi pressured once he gets knocked down, chis horrible wakeup game makes him helpless to cyrax's corner shenanigans, once quan chi is cornered against cyrax it should be endgame.
What do you guys think? all feedback appreciated!

myth

Noob
i feel like vs reptile it would be 3-7 or worse.

Also can i get some advice on Quan vs Reptile?
I can't seem to reach him after i block his run down. And if i dash then try a combo he does another rundown.

What do?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Hello Quan Chi community

I´m a Cyrax player whos helping with the Cyrax Matchup thread and would like to ask you guys for feedback on this matchup. It currently stands as 6-4 in Cyrax´favor. Recently Mustard (top Cyrax player) suggested the following:

What do you guys think? all feedback appreciated!

not valid anymore with ex skydrop.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Came here to check matchups and see if my problems of beating certain characters were justified... and if these matchups are accurate, very much so.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
im srry, but the shang tsung match up is in the favor of quan, id say 6-4 quan becuz shang tsungs zoning wont do much now becuz of ex teleport armor or a well timed teleport, considering you can direct it. i play both i know how it goes 9 times out of ten

im srry, but the shang tsung match up is in the favor of quan, id say 6-4 quan becuz shang tsungs zoning wont do much now becuz of ex teleport armor or a well timed teleport, considering you can direct it. i play both i know how it goes 9 times out of ten
I dont know about nine times out of ten, haha, but I think I agree with you actually. Quan chi's got the advantage from trancing distance, shang will have to stay all the way full screen or right on top of Quan. Any skull will trade with trance and give Quan the momentum.. and.. being against Quan at close range.. you don't want to be there.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
I dont know about nine times out of ten, haha, but I think I agree with you actually. Quan chi's got the advantage from trancing distance, shang will have to stay all the way full screen or right on top of Quan. Any skull will trade with trance and give Quan the momentum.. and.. being against Quan at close range.. you don't want to be there.
by 9 times out of ten i meant thts how most players will match up in fighting style, while there are those who try to get close with shang, aka noobs

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
Gentlemen.... This is a matchup discussion thread, not a whining about who's better thread. Back on topic please.
srry bout tht bro. this guy is a winer on xbox so i had to strike back. anyway all bs aside he is an ok quan but he learned from me and dink so wat he says is less valid than wat me or dink say