What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

Wombat

Noob
A good reason to use the f+3~spin combo is somewhat better oki as you're at more + frames by the time it ends and can easily put more pressure on - if you whif a divekick you basically immediately cross the dude up before he even has a chance to do a wakeup attack. So if you opt for that, your midscreen combo should be like this: 1,1,2~spin, NJP, jk~divekick, f+3~spin. I don't really get it why most people don't do the NJP, it's super easy - you just have to tap forward just when the first spin animation finishes to make Lao make a small step forward for NJP not to whiff. The only reason you would want to drop the extra damage (2% I believe) would be playing online as it's harder to connect f+3 when it lags. If you get a wall combo I guess that 2,4, 1+3, 2 stuff is generally better as you've got a good position on the dude even without the frame advantage :)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
A good reason to use the f+3~spin combo is somewhat better oki as you're at more + frames by the time it ends and can easily put more pressure on - if you whif a divekick you basically immediately cross the dude up before he even has a chance to do a wakeup attack. So if you opt for that, your midscreen combo should be like this: 1,1,2~spin, NJP, jk~divekick, f+3~spin. I don't really get it why most people don't do the NJP, it's super easy - you just have to tap forward just when the first spin animation finishes to make Lao make a small step forward for NJP not to whiff. The only reason you would want to drop the extra damage (2% I believe) would be playing online as it's harder to connect f+3 when it lags. If you get a wall combo I guess that 2,4, 1+3, 2 stuff is generally better as you've got a good position on the dude even without the frame advantage :)
I don't get why people don't do an instant dive kick after landing the f3~spin at the end of his combo. It crosses your opponent up granting you the opportunity to pressure for free on wake up since most people can't reverse their wake ups in time. You can usually get a 21212 (into whatever option you like) or OTG options = b333 string or f2.

yass

Noob
hey, can some one help of how to do a double hit inmediatly in the air with the dive kick, without using the meter bar.?

Theme

Noob
hey, can some one help of how to do a double hit inmediatly in the air with the dive kick, without using the meter bar.?
Not sure what you mean, but i think your talking about the first hit being a normal jump kick, then instantly going into dive kick to make it two. Correct?

Jump up press "4" when it lands just press down, negative edge will make the dive kick move come out so there is no need to press "4" again.
(4 stands for circle on ps3)

Also there is no need to dash after making a spin, just hold forward for 0.2 sec and you will never miss the NJP (imo way easier then dash blocking like someone posted before)

yass

Noob
not quite bro, the thing is that when you hit someone in hte air, the dive kick sometimes hit you twice repeatly, but is no the EX DK....

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Any advice on landing ex hat for combos? The input window feels really wonky to me. I remember a combo something like 112 spin njp dash 1 ex hat dash 1 dash 1, 2 4 grab, but i can never get the ex hat to come out after the 1 following the njp, so I end up with a combo around 32 percent. Is it possible to land a dive kick instead of njp into ex hat, and what would be the most viable max damage of an ex hat combo. Thanks.

gdf

Noob
The way I learned how to land ex-hat combos was by doing them next to the wall.
My typical strategy is spin, dive kick, 1, ex-hat, 2,4,1+3,2. And all variations accompanying them.
I do not know the most viable combo damage-wise, however I do what comes easiest in the middle of a fight.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Any advice on landing ex hat for combos? The input window feels really wonky to me. I remember a combo something like 112 spin njp dash 1 ex hat dash 1 dash 1, 2 4 grab, but i can never get the ex hat to come out after the 1 following the njp, so I end up with a combo around 32 percent. Is it possible to land a dive kick instead of njp into ex hat, and what would be the most viable max damage of an ex hat combo. Thanks.
use "2" instead of "1" before the EX hat. It's much easier to make it land. On the corner try using standing 3.

Also, 2,1 (or 1,1,2) Spin, Jk, Dive kick, 2 - EX hat, 1, dash, 1, dash, 2, 4, 1+3, 2 is his most damaging midscreen combo and is easy to land consistently.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
1,1,2 or 2,1 launcher?

Why do I see people using 1, 1, 2 for punishing combos instead of 2,1?

In my eyes, 2,1 has the advantage of:

1) Being faster. 2 is 7f, which gives the less margin of error in the punishment window. 1 is 11f
2) Scales less damage. About 1%. It may not be much, but still.

I can understand that when going for pressure 1, 1, 2 you deal more chip damage and you may be at more advantage, but I've seen on streams and archives KL players punishing with 1,1,2 (when possible). Is there anything I don't know about this particular strings?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
21 as a punisher
112 as a JIP string because there are more points that you can mix it up from.

21 has longer recovery I think too

Theme

Noob
21 as a punisher
112 as a JIP string because there are more points that you can mix it up from.

21 has longer recovery I think too
Yeah this is practically how I use my punches. And 21 does have longer recovery. I usually can place an easy hat or grab at the end of 1,1,2 rather than 2,1. Plus more chip damage as you already said and meter building if blocked. Faster too, if its just 1,1, you can repeat for further chip damage.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Alright, this is gonna sound like a completely sad question, but how in the hell do you pressure with Kung Lao? I cannot grasp this character for the life of me. Do I end every string with low hat if they block? Do I pressure with 11, which I always seem to get uppercutted out of? Kung Lao feels so foreign to play to me its crazy.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Alright, this is gonna sound like a completely sad question, but how in the hell do you pressure with Kung Lao? I cannot grasp this character for the life of me. Do I end every string with low hat if they block? Do I pressure with 11, which I always seem to get uppercutted out of? Kung Lao feels so foreign to play to me its crazy.
You can go 2,4 and then go for another 2,4. You can also go 2,4, teleport xx 3(single kick). After that you can use 1,1 and then a 1,1,2, go for a throw, etc. When pressuring with any character the key is to not to be predictable, otherwise you're eating pokes and uppercuts all day. I also believe that F+3 leaves you at advantage on block.

LK-520

Noob
Used to be you could end any string with low hat and be at even frames at worst. Now, KL's a bit harder to pressure with since his low hat doesn't give you ridiculous advantage, and can actually get you punished on block. Still, his strings are very quick and can be dash cancelled into more strings or 50/50 mixups. 112 has good speed and range, mix it up often with dashes into more 112, 24, low pokes, f2, 212121, etc. I like to go for 212121 as much as possible since it does a ton of chip, gives you a 50/50 afterwards (low hat or 1+2, I believe you can't get punished for 1+2 anymore...), and can be hit confirmed into full combo. It's worth noting that 2 is a faster starter than 1, so you could also open with the 21 or 24 string dashed into 112, etc. Remember that backing off during pressure can be just as good, since you can trick your opponent into throwing unsafe special moves, jumping, etc.

Once you get a feel for KL, you almost feel like you can just push anything and get free pressure. His normals are still really good.

Lately I've been mixing more low pokes into my pressure. More often than not the opponent will eventually jump to avoid this, which means free spin.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
hey guys i just fucking merged 40 threads with kung lao questions. this is where you need to ask your questions dont go making 500 different threads.. your questions will be answered.. use the "@" to directly get known good kung lao players to answer your question.. if you make a new thread i will just merge it. please dont waste my time..

LK-520

Noob
hey guys i just fucking merged 40 threads with kung lao questions. this is where you need to ask your questions dont go making 500 different threads.. your questions will be answered.. use the "@" to directly get known good kung lao players to answer your question.. if you make a new thread i will just merge it. please dont waste my time..
Just curious, what's wrong with having "40 threads with Kung Lao questions"? It's not like a forum can really be that cluttered if each of the threads is useful in some way, and personally I'd rather be able to look through one page of searchable subjects you can easily ignore if they don't apply to you rather than having to sift through 15+ pages of one thread to see if your question's been answered already.
Just my two cents...

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Just curious, what's wrong with having "40 threads with Kung Lao questions"? It's not like a forum can really be that cluttered if each of the threads is useful in some way, and personally I'd rather be able to look through one page of searchable subjects you can easily ignore if they don't apply to you rather than having to sift through 15+ pages of one thread to see if your question's been answered already.
Just my two cents...
There was atleast like 10 with 2121221 questions. People can just come in here ask the question and get it answered even if it was already asked. No one is going to look through 5 pages of the forum for the answer they will just make yet another thread with the question get the answer. Then there will be yet another thread with two posts.

The idea is to some day have one guy make a main post and have the question in the thread asked answer it. Then update the first post with that question and answer Kind of like a FAQ.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

LK-520

Noob
There was atleast like 10 with 2121221 questions. People can just come in here ask the question and get it answered even if it was already asked. No one is going to look through 5 pages of the forum for the answer they will just make yet another thread with the question get the answer. Then there will be yet another thread with two posts.

The idea is to some day have one guy make a main post and have the question in the thread asked answer it. Then update the first post with that question and answer Kind of like a FAQ.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
Gotcha. Yeah, I like the idea of a consistently updated first post - Just don't want to make things too hard on the new players trying to learn stuff, you know what I mean? A megatopic can be pretty intimidating, but if the information is easy access on the first post and people can ask about whatever they don't see there, I'm all for it. Thanks for clarifying.

Wombat

Noob
Lately I've been mixing more low pokes into my pressure. More often than not the opponent will eventually jump to avoid this, which means free spin.
I agree with what you've said up to this point (especially what you've said about the godlike nature of 21212), but I just can't see that "free spin" happening. I mean, best thing that could happen with a d+1 is the dude getting hit on his way up and giving you a free 1, 1, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2 juggle, but if he does manage to jump out of your poke (so basically every d+3/d+4 he decides he wants to jump), how exactly are you supposed to spin him? Dash into EX-spin? I mean I've seen this notion of spinning anyone who dares to leave the ground being popular with many people, but the only time I can really see it happening is if the opponent tries a crossup (and it's really timing specific, it's not that easy to spin out of crouch and sometimes I just lower my hitbox with d+3 to avoid getting blown up by a full JIP combo if I fell I might be late) or NJP (which won't happen because who'd NJP a down-poke?). I'd agree if you said X-Ray, because it actually does kill people trying to jump out, but a normal spin? I mean most AA spins if not all are defensive in nature, so the idea of using this shit offensively during pressure and not just as a threat keeping people from striking back at you seems pretty exotic to me.

LK-520

Noob
I agree with what you've said up to this point (especially what you've said about the godlike nature of 21212), but I just can't see that "free spin" happening. I mean, best thing that could happen with a d+1 is the dude getting hit on his way up and giving you a free 1, 1, 1, 1, 2,4,1+3,2 juggle, but if he does manage to jump out of your poke (so basically every d+3/d+4 he decides he wants to jump), how exactly are you supposed to spin him? Dash into EX-spin? I mean I've seen this notion of spinning anyone who dares to leave the ground being popular with many people, but the only time I can really see it happening is if the opponent tries a crossup (and it's really timing specific, it's not that easy to spin out of crouch and sometimes I just lower my hitbox with d+3 to avoid getting blown up by a full JIP combo if I fell I might be late) or NJP (which won't happen because who'd NJP a down-poke?). I'd agree if you said X-Ray, because it actually does kill people trying to jump out, but a normal spin? I mean most AA spins if not all are defensive in nature, so the idea of using this shit offensively during pressure and not just as a threat keeping people from striking back at you seems pretty exotic to me.
I guess I should clarify, I meant that people seem to have the reflex of going for crossups when you're poking at close range, since leaving the ground in any way gets them out of the low poke pressure and they want to go on the offensive. This is from my experience playing random people online (I know, you can't really trust that) as well as against some more proficient players like Altaire and Mindgamez. I'm guilty of it too, especially against Sub Zero. The whole idea is to fool the opponent into thinking it's safe to jump at you.
But yeah, I see where you're coming from, and as far as I know, you're not gonna catch anyone jumping back without hitting them on the way up.