What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

You know using it for Oki brings up an interesting point. Say that another KL spins into it on wakeup. The hat would hit them on the very frame their invincibility wears off doesn't it?

I could see this being used for a number of things. For example, say your opponent's armoured X-ray or other move was the only threat preventing you from pressuring them really heavily on wakeup (Shang Tsung). Throwing down a hat and doing something that would otherwise look really stupid (like spinning on top of their body) would actually do a pretty huge chunk of armour damage in a single frame. This could be a way to stuff wakeups on low health people who think they can still eat a hit safely.

Another application that just came to mind is versus stompers. If you have a hat in front of you and the opponent does a Sheeva or Quan Chi stomp (and for all we know those characters might be pretty good now) they have practically no mixup options to choose between. This would be especially good versus Quan Chi since it would eliminate the threat of his trance, to the point you could just jip him like a scrub and unless he wants to eat damage and a second free jump in, he has to just take it.

If the opponent allows you, Kung can throw a ex low hat safe jump in do the 212121 string to build more meter and than generally have enough to do it over and over. Correct me if Im wrong.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
21212 question

How do you do it so the overhead at the end comes out? I like to mix it up occasionally when I end with low hat or the overhead. But... I don't know how it comes out. Normally I just mash harder. Is there some button command I should know about?

Also. Is adding a NJP advisable in corner combos? Or does it scale badly?

Also, why is there not a Kung Lao general?

Do an extra 21 for the overhead.

As for njp in corner combos that depends. Are you using the njp as a launcher? Or are you doing the njp after a spin. If you're talking about spin, njp jik dive kick, 1 1 1 24 1+3 2 or whatever then that's not a bad corner combo, but I recommend spin, jik dive kick, jump back kick dive kick, 24 1+3 2.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
How do you do it so the overhead at the end comes out? I like to mix it up occasionally when I end with low hat or the overhead. But... I don't know how it comes out. Normally I just mash harder. Is there some button command I should know about?

Also. Is adding a NJP advisable in corner combos? Or does it scale badly?

Also, why is there not a Kung Lao general?
Press 1+2 at the end at the same time if i remember correctly. For the corner adding on to what playpal said try going a bit advanced and integrate mcflys corner combos with tele 3 and what not. Crzy stuff i must say. Also adding on to the thread. I personally cant seem to getthe 212121 reliably on my first try it takes a while. Is there some sort of trick or rhythm or do i tap tht shit out.

Press 1+2 at the end at the same time if i remember correctly. For the corner adding on to what playpal said try going a bit advanced and integrate mcflys corner combos with tele 3 and what not. Crzy stuff i must say. Also adding on to the thread. I personally cant seem to getthe 212121 reliably on my first try it takes a while. Is there some sort of trick or rhythm or do i tap tht shit out.
If you have a pad just rub your thumb up and down. It's easier for me cuz i got gloves on all the time, but yeah.

gdf

Noob
I take off my middle finger from the block button and using my middle and index finger I do this combo at the same rate as Kung Lao does his punches, that's my rhythm.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Well, his teleport is horribly unsafe, JC for instance can dash B3 it and follow it up with a full combo. Best case scenario, you're eating an uppercut every time by the majority of the cast.

after his 1121 is blocked what should u do? do u have a frame advantage? if you see the 11 blocked should u stop there and go into a 24 ground hat? just wondering
Just do nothing, well you can block I guess. Just wait for your oppenant to do something and make reads from there.

I would like Tom Brady and Perfect Legend to post some (of course not all) opinions since both of them are going to the lab with KL...

It would be very helpful!

gdf

Noob
Adding on to Skirtsftw post, if you see 1,1 blocked repeatedly opt for a grab, or a low poke.
For the grab people would have to duck, or jump. When they duck you can probably do jip, low poke, the 2,4 string and it's high/mid hitting derivatives or b+3,3,3 spin. If an opponent jumps on you, well you're Kung Lao, do what you're supposed to do, mash that spin.
For the low poke if they start blocking low, you can either grab them, f+2, or 2,4, 1+2. (If you feel really ballsy, you can do the 2,1,2,1,2,1,2 string for that nice over head hat slice)

Only in juggles though right? You could do way more damage for the same or no meter if you're comboing into that against someone standing. Does this glitch happen against a juggled opponent?
you can jip a grounded opponent during the ex hat stun. The game doesnt count it as a combo, but it cant be blocked. At least nobody blocked it in the dozens of time I saw it on videos, and the other dozens of time I used that. If the extra damage is worth the bar, is up to you to decide, nowadays i dont use it too much because I dont know most of the matchups in the game, so combo breaker is my friend.

If you guys are going to jump back, you have to learn to jump in the last possible moment, because if you jumpback a regular teleport KL will land, jump and dive, roll, spin, punch you in the air like 3 times and then 2,4,1+3,2; and if you take too much time to notice its a regular Teleport you wont have time to punish it.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I see a lot of players try to assault Kung Lao whenever he uses his Enhanced Teleport, for reasons that completely escape me. Trying to afflict chip damage isn't worth it if it won't finish him off. You should obviously jump in the opposite direction so that he can't reach you with any attacks after coming out of his teleport. ONLY try to interrupt him if he uses his regular teleport.

Wombat

Noob
2,4~EX-hat missing in the corner against a standing opponent is not that bad (I mean it has no good follow-up), but check out how inconsistent can juggling 2~EX-hat get in the corner. Anyway this doesn't affect his game all that much, you can always 2,1~special for midscreen punishment which is not stance-specific and juggle with 1~EX-hat or 3~EX-hat when doing those corner combos...

gdf

Noob
Has there been any progress on this idea? I mean like theories on how it would incorporate in high level play.

Question about KL's BnBs

I don't understand how to do a dive kick after a spin and be able to hit them with a front punch afterwards. I am getting this from Brady's guide where you start a combo with a spin and then do a dive kick and a front punch and then into his BP,BK, FP+FK, BP...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My recommended bnb is 21 spin, jik dive kick, dash 1, dash 24 1+3. Does around 30ish% if you mistime the 24 1+3 2.

You have to do a jump kick on the opponent after a spin, then immediately do D4 for the dive kick (you can use negative edge if you did ji4 instead of ji3). Then as you land, dash and do 1, dash again and do 24.

Another combo I recommend for anti-air is spin, njp, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 24 1+3 2.