What's new

Name 3 TYM members who you'd want to main the same character as you, and 1 that you wouldn't.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Its a Tuskan raider!!!!

I love that fucking gif!! I was laughing so hard at 3 in the morning the first time I saw it, but then again standards are set pretty low when it gets that late
Who was the first person to post the Jerry Lewis boxing gif on this site? Was it you or @Rickyraws anyway thanks to whoever it was.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Honestly, everyone in the Batman community.

@FOREVER KING
@DarthArma
@RM GamerBlake
@HomeLee1121
@RapZiLLa54
@UsedForGlue
@Perfect Legend
REO

And many more, I just get lazy and shit.

But for real, the forums were dope when they weren't dead and I feel like we really helped each other out. (Translation - everyone helped me out given this is the first fighting game I have tried competitively)

Sadly, lack of internet for a few months leading into CEO left me blind to many MUs...still managed 2 wins but noticed my disadvantage. But I will hit MKX with much fury.

Hopefully, most of us Wayne's will find ourselves with the same mains in MKX so everyone else will have another shit-storm of awesomeness!

Who would I not want to use the same main as me? @Pig Of The Hut ...not out of rudeness, the guy would do amazing things for the character but he's just somebody I like to fight against because he's always a top player for his character and he's always willing to help me learn the MU.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
1. my tarkatan brothers and sisters from mk9 - wouldnt be the same without them :)

2. somberness - Elder god of MK

3 be a tossup between tom brady and tony-t - two of my fav players (they can have a mirror to settle it lol)

who i wouldnt want??? anyone from mku :DOGE went onto that site once and saw baraka as a zoner thread and never came back.

Flagg

Noob
Really hope m2dave isn't representing a charatcer i'll main. Sick of his whining and downplaying. Unless the character has ST Akuma zoning skills, the character is not good in his opinion. God forbid he has to use anything like a normal or a combo.

Brady and woundcowboy are good at making you want to jump off a building, lamenting about their character. That said WoundCowboy is a better player than Brady and both are vastly better than m2Dave.

Really hope m2dave isn't representing a charatcer i'll main. Sick of his whining and downplaying. Unless the character has ST Akuma zoning skills, the character is not good in his opinion. God forbid he has to use anything like a normal or a combo.

Brady and woundcowboy are good at making you want to jump off a building, lamenting about their character. That said WoundCowboy is a better player than Brady and both are vastly better than m2Dave.
Two things...

1. I did not mention Sub-Zero's tier position because I was "crying". I mentioned it in response to the notion that I went from a top 3 placer to a top 4 placer to now a top 8 placer who does on some occasion get 4th/5th or even miss top 8 and place 9th. Also as a player who will place top but not win. I would bring up SZ's tier position because I was trying to say that it became harder and harder to place top not because I was "falling off", but because the character was getting worse. I obviously should have said it better back then but probably should have said nothing at all and just continue to place and not pay attention to what the haters say.

2. The vast majority of this community are MUCH better players than I am. That being said, in MK9 I still accomplished much more than players considered to be better then I was as I went on to accomplish one of the best and most consistent resumes in that game.

Something that (for whatever reason) I just didn't let sink in back then was that it doesn't matter how good or bad people think you are or who is actually a better player, what matters is what you accomplish and what you do with what ability you have. On TYM people saying "x" player is better can somehow hold more weight then "x" player has accomplished more. If you produce better results than those who are much better or are considered to be, then to quote @GGA 16 Bit... "Not my problem"

Last edited:

Vagrant

Noob
The vast majority of this community are MUCH better players than I am. That being said, in MK9 I still accomplished much more than 99.999999% of players considered to be better then I was as I went on to accomplish one of the best and most consistent resumes in that game.
TYM rule #42

If a thread exists, Tom will find away to pop off about his results with sub zero.

And for that, the TYM gods smile upon him.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Blade charge wasn't his mobility tool. Blade charge was his only way of playing footsies and spacing. His fastest combo starter is 17f and even then his damage was mediocre at best. You could reset the opponent but since his fastest combo starter was 17f it rarely led to anything. Blade charge's main use was getting people into the corner(his only way of getting a lot of damage). A lot of times he would have to d3 dash in, or risk a blocked EX blade charge being punished.

Granted most characters would suck if you took their specials away, as they were designed with specials in mind. I dont think it is smart to compare interactables with specials, as specials are unique to each character and could never be turned off.
So wait, he didn't have a good d4 to use in footsies? Also, 17 frames isn't bad at all. It's not like you can react to it.

Last edited:
TYM rule #42

If a thread exists, Tom will find away to pop off about his results with sub zero.

And for that, the TYM gods smile upon him.
That's not what I was doing, but TYM will always see what it wants.

Anyway, back on the topic...

I'd like as many players as possible to use my character. More players means more help in working on problems, mu's, etc.. More minds are always better than one. If someone has a better idea, I want to know about it.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
That's not what I was doing, but TYM will always see what it wants.

Anyway, back on the topic...

I'd like as many players as possible to use my character. More players means more help in working on problems, mu's, etc.. More minds are always better than one. If someone has a better idea, I want to know about it.
Since you're posting, I have a question:

What is your opinion on the NFG Rankings?

Since you're posting, I have a question:

What is your opinion on the NFG Rankings?
Rankings are fun but unless you have the system down to a fair science, it still turns into a "according to MY qualifiers which IN MY OPINION are what really matters, here are the standings".

You get tournament results that don't count and others that do for god knows how many reasons. A big thing was It doesn't count based on the number of entrants - At one time was this was64. If the event had the best of the best in attendance but only 63 total entrants, it doesn't count in the rankings. If an event has only a few top players but 64 entrants, now it counts in the rankings. In some lists the name of the event and if it has ever been a major before counts, some lists are bias where some guys individual opinion on what is or isn't a major is just so he can make a top 10 list look the way he feels it should.

Can someone say that the win last week over the AZ Cardinals doesn't count as a playoff win for Cam because AZ was on its 3rd string QB? If Seattle wins this weekend against the Panthers can someone say it doesn't count as a win for Wilson because the Panthers record is under .500? Do playoff games not count as a real win if the attendance isn't as good as some other playoff games ?

Top 10 lists, ESPECIALLY all time top 10 lists will always be like it is in sports - A debate where the players who all have the most impressive results are in the conversation and people will discuss who is top 10, the order of the top 10, who is so close but just on the bubble, etc..

No reason to ever have feelings get hurt because of these top 10 lists. Just worry about your results and put yourself in the conversation and leave the discussion up to others. My life has drastically changed so I am humbled and much more mature as a player and person. Should have look at things like this from day 1.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Rankings are fun but unless you have the system down to a fair science, it still turns into a "according to MY qualifiers which IN MY OPINION are what really matters, here are the standings".

You get tournament results that don't count and others that do for god knows how many reasons. A big thing was It doesn't count based on the number of entrants - At one time was this was64. If the event had the best of the best in attendance but only 63 total entrants, it doesn't count in the rankings. If an event has only a few top players but 64 entrants, now it counts in the rankings. In some lists the name of the event and if it has ever been a major before counts, some lists are bias where some guys individual opinion on what is or isn't a major is just so he can make a top 10 list look the way he feels it should.

Can someone say that the win last week over the AZ Cardinals doesn't count as a playoff win for Cam because AZ was on its 3rd string QB? If Seattle wins this weekend against the Panthers can someone say it doesn't count as a win for Wilson because the Panthers record is under .500? Do playoff games not count as a real win if the attendance isn't as good as some other playoff games ?

Top 10 lists, ESPECIALLY all time top 10 lists will always be like it is in sports - A debate where the players who all have the most impressive results are in the conversation and people will discuss who is top 10, the order of the top 10, who is so close but just on the bubble, etc..

No reason to ever have feelings get hurt because of these top 10 lists. Just worry about your results and put yourself in the conversation and leave the discussion up to others. My life has drastically changed so I am humbled and much more mature as a player and person. Should have look at things like this from day 1.
That wasn't even the worst of it.. NFG did things like giving points based on the dollar amount of the prize pool. So with the same players there, an event with a bigger pot bonus was worth a bunch more in terms of seeding points. Take the money away and the wins were worth less, haha.

They would also only use your best 4 performances, so if you got blown out at a bunch of events or had no consistency, yet went to enough tournaments, it wouldn't affect your standing at all. It was an epic disaster.

Last edited:
That wasn't even the worst of it.. NFG did things like giving points based on the dollar amount of the prize pool. So with the same players there, an event with a bigger pot bonus was worth a bunch more in terms of seeding points. Take the money away and the wins were worth less, haha. It was an epic disaster.
LOL.. I remember that. You could have 2 tournaments with the exact same entrants but one was worth more because of the payout.

But lets get back to the topic..

I think its also important to have players with different styles than you play the character. There are now 3 variations so players with a different style can have a variation shine that you were not able to really get to work.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So wait, he didn't have a good d4 to use in footsies? Also, 17 frames isn't bad at all. It's not like you can react to it.
His d4 was good. But it was good because it was a threat alongside blade charge, if all he had was d4 you could easily space him out. And no, 17 frames wouldnt be that bad if it wasnt his only way of applying pressure. If canceling normals into slices didn't have frame gaps then it would be a different story. But as of right now his normals are probably the worst thing about him.

Flagg

Noob
Two things...

1. I did not mention Sub-Zero's tier position because I was "crying". I mentioned it in response to the notion that I went from a top 3 placer to a top 4 placer to now a top 8 placer who does on some occasion get 4th/5th or even miss top 8 and place 9th. Also as a player who will place top but not win. I would bring up SZ's tier position because I was trying to say that it became harder and harder to place top not because I was "falling off", but because the character was getting worse. I obviously should have said it better back then but probably should have said nothing at all and just continue to place and not pay attention to what the haters say.

2. The vast majority of this community are MUCH better players than I am. That being said, in MK9 I still accomplished much more than players considered to be better then I was as I went on to accomplish one of the best and most consistent resumes in that game.

Something that (for whatever reason) I just didn't let sink in back then was that it doesn't matter how good or bad people think you are or who is actually a better player, what matters is what you accomplish and what you do with what ability you have. On TYM people saying "x" player is better can somehow hold more weight then "x" player has accomplished more. If you produce better results than those who are much better or are considered to be, then to quote @GGA 16 Bit... "Not my problem"
I wasn't blowing you up as a player. I think you are extremely good. Just sometimes you seem a bit negative about things. I honestly hope you do well. Sub Zero in MK X looks like he was made for you with some of those variations.

Negativity in general just bums me out! lol

I also dont think there is too many that are better than you. You don't need a top tier character, you just need a character that fits you.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Sonicfox for the tech
16 bit so my character turns out to be potential top 10
Pig so I can copy his zoning patterns and beat scrubs online

Not tom Brady because then my character will get nurfed

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I have no idea, I want to main Ermac again, Fujin and Sektor.

So I guess for Ermac-Metzos guy and the dude who retired early from MK 9 think L.I. Joe right?

Fujin-Have no idea but I remember in MKA I was literally like the only player who used him on xbox at least, he wasn't that great but I didn't care.

Sektor-Ketchup guy and I have no idea who else.

One wouldn't? I have no idea.

Personally I wouldn't really care at the end of the day, I'd like to see different players hone different and unique styles, tactics with each characters the fact that we now have 3 variations/styles per character that are very different should increase this I hope.