What's new

Discussion My tier list

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I have never seen any analytical discussions on Test Your Might about character match-ups which include distance of moves, frames, movement speed, damage, etc. All I ever see is this is "cancer", or this is "stupid." How can we have opinions if we refuse to break it down?
While this does make sense, the majority will side-step measuring the tier list by matchup numbers out of fear it'll contradict their own agenda.

This effectively happened with Johnny Cage during the MK9 era. People swore by the bible he was secret top tier based on arbitrary opinions on his F3 properties but in actual practice may potentially not have had a matchup chart sufficient enough to remain in the top 10 when lined up against everyone else's.

The audacity, I just threw up in my mouth please elaborate
He forgot to post that he also wants Sub-Zero moved up by 3 tiers.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
While this does make sense, the majority will side-step measuring the tier list by matchup numbers out of fear it'll contradict their own agenda.

This effectively happened with Johnny Cage during the MK9 era. People swore by the bible he was secret top tier based on arbitrary opinions on his F3 properties but in actual practice may potentially not have had a matchup chart sufficient enough to remain in the top 10 when lined up against everyone else's.

He forgot to post that he also wants Sub-Zero moved up by 3 tiers.
woahh strykie.. cage was def top 10 in mk9 lol.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
wtf
hell no

matchup charts is where's at

too bad
You're right, plus that! However chart/win ratio is not everything. Opinion/diagnose should be analyzed looking at the overall character capabilities. For example, Skarlet never been very high in tournaments but she was a TOP tier character 100%.

shura30

Shura
You're right, plus that! However chart/win ratio is not everything. Opinion/diagnose should be analyzed looking at the overall character capabilities. For example, Skarlet never been very high in tournaments but she was a TOP tier character 100%.
correct but it's a subject for a different kind of graph, maybe one that factors character popularity

when I look at these random tier lists I try and put some logic to them by looking at a character placement and his theoretical chances against the ones above
this one from woundcowboy isn't that bad but really there's some explanation to do

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The same kan be said the other way around though... Characters with good offense and shitty defense don't do that well either.

My point is that it's kind of like saying the obvious, that characters with everything are better than characters that only specialize on one aspect of the game.
Pre patch Summoner Quan had the best offense in the game and terrible defense, he was pretty well off. He was better off than Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Kitana who have excellent defence but lackluster offense. Because offense is more meaningful in MKX. I don't think Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Kitana are bad, don't get me wrong. There is only one terrible character imo.

Months ago when Sonic Fox won multiple majors with Kitana and everyone was like "omg she's overbuffed this bitch is S tier". That's funny
NEC16 when he won Slayer's Kung Jin, that was the worst version of Kitana
Current Kitana is still the same. All the nerfs the got were 3-4% less damage on her combos. They even buffed her d3 to 6f and greatly improved Assasin (if you don't respect Assasin's frame you die in 2 combos)
Talking about matchups, she does well against everyone, except Predator. No she's not like "all that bitch can do is throwing fans". She zones anyone who has hard time approaching, if she can't zone she can play footsie very well and does good chip in all 3 variations. She also has the tools to frustrate impatient play and open people up. She has no mixup, but go back watching NEC16 grand finals and count how many combos Slayer ate.
She's good, she's at Scorpion's tier
Sometimes it seems like all that bitch can do is throw fans. She's annoying asf to fight.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I don't believe in separating characters by their variations because, so each character is ranked as a whole.
Because.....

Because why?

You left me hanging. I need closure. You started something and didn't finish it. A thought maybe. I dunno. I....I can't.......
I don't think I can do anything else today without knowing why.

I've been writing "because why" all over my notepads and wall all day today.

Because why. BEcause why. BeCause Why...BECause WhY......BECAUSE WHY!!!

This list lol but I bet you're just trying to get a reaction out of people. But problems with the list: Dvorah being above mileena, tremor too high, Kano not being in S tier,Kotal and ermac not being in A tier, triborg too high, predator,scorpion,Leatherface should be in B tier, Jason not being in A tier (unstoppable is lowkey broken), shinnok being low tier.shinnok being low tier, shinnok being low tier,SHINNOK BEING LOW TIER. Everything else is fine but this is all just my opinion.
lol @ Jason's Unstoppable "lowkey broken". Please give me an example where this character is broken and PLEASE don't be because he can "break armor" where half the cast can do that without activating a buff (just using plain neutral). The fact he can tick throw...? Yeah because Ferra/Torr can do that yet people don't demand him to be nerfed, hell, even erron black can tick throw and Goro can but that doesn't make them OP or broken by any stretch of the imagination.

This is clearly bait but I'm biting because I like seeing downplaying.

Jason, Goro and Kitana all in D-tier? Not likely. Unstoppable has become pretty good with the buffs. Unstoppable and Relentless are reliant on tick throws yes, but know that B1~DBF2 is plus on hit so Jason can basically 50/50 you with B1~tick or B12. Besides that, damage boost breaking armor is mad good and at LEAST puts Unstoppable in B, although even that would be downplaying a bit.

Goro is kind of reliant on the player being good at conditioning, but Goro is extremely overlooked in my opinion. He is far better than people realize and sure isn't D-tier. Good damage, EX-punchwalk is one of the best moves in the game, he is barely punishable and his corner game is quite good as well.

Kitana is an odd one for me. D-tier is far too harsh, I'd say at least B. Fans give her good space control and help her slow down the match immensely. Don't know enough about Kitana though.

C-tier Shinnok is a joke. It's kind of ironic that the world's best Shinnok player downplays his character so much. Hellsparks with the sweet plus frames, Impostor with the sweet vortex and teleport, Bone Shaper with the zoning and F41D2... Come on Wound.
The only way Hell Sparks is even plus is if you meter burn it and if you meter burn the 3rd hit, there's a gap in it that can easily be armored through. His only "plus" frames are S2, s4, B2. His F4 is freaking negative on block and his F221+4 has a gap in it. F41D2 also has a gap in it and can easily be armored through (or the last time I seen it being used.) Essentially, Shinnok is not the same beast of 2015 and has definitely dropped in tier.

Jason's can tick throw and get a 50/50 yes but so can Erron Black, but that's not enough to claim he's B tier. In fact seeing Unstoppable above C would be considered as up playing. It's not as bad as it was but the other characters have way better meter build than him, better rushdown, 50/50s and option selects, armored launchers, non-ex launchers (outside of Slasher's F42), and he can easily get zoned out (if one doesn't use Relentless).

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Pre patch Summoner Quan had the best offense in the game and terrible defense, he was pretty well off. He was better off than Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Kitana who have excellent defence but lackluster offense. Because offense is more meaningful in MKX. I don't think Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Kitana are bad, don't get me wrong. There is only one terrible character imo.
Great point... But he was top tier at the time and the only reason he wasn't the best is because characters like Lao had both offense AND defense...