What's new

Mortal Kombat X to be Region Locked

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I don't get why. I can play Injustice with people in the U.S. and the connection is fine. It's not perfect, but it's easily good enough most of the time to enjoy the matches. Why is PS4 region locked but Xbone isn't?

I don't get why ranked can't just be region locked but still allow players the ability to play region free private matches.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
@FireBreather sorry dude

john edwards from "next" trailer
" were finally able to globally connect everyone that plays mortal kombat"

guess not :/

im a connection nazi so i dont really mind the region lock to much

Slymind

Noob
The doesn't say much, i believe you could play with people overseas, the thing is it would be extremely laggy(which was the case with people near you anyway).

Seriously, people should start asking them about the netcode more, because that is a vital aspect of the game, i tried on twitter with Boon, to no avail, Ono was already talking about netcode for SFV even when the game is still far from being released, given NRS track record, it's only fair to be unsure when it comes to netcode.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Ffs NRS.

On PS3 I bought the US version of IGAU & I could play that on my EU account, whilst keeping my EU record. It's nothing to do with the netcode. I played on both EU & US for Injustice and whether I was fighting someone about 2 hours away, or someone an ocean away, it made no difference.

Hopefully on PS4 I'll be able to buy the US version on the US store and then play it on my (EU) PS Plus account.

All I know is that EU IGAU was dead, and there's no way in hell I'm going through that again.

Last edited:

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
which would that be?
It's main purpose is to simplify the licensing of right's for each country (part of the reason why PC and XBox were not locked... if it was the netcode would locking one but not the others make sense?).

Localization is another (languages brahh). A game with subtitles in all 250+ languages in the world LMFAO... just 5 different region disc's with maybe 20 or so on each. This applies to content or removed content as well. Think AUS crazy ass censoring, or nuke references in Japan, or Nazi themes in Germany...

Anti-piracy.... I shouldnt have to explain this one.

Here is an article on the matter for further reading.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/nintendos-president-discusses-region-locking

Now please stop spouting broscience about "teh netz code be garbage dat is why itz region lokd" and sounding like a bunch of butthurt kids. There is a plethora of factors that go into this that you guys have shown you have zero comprehension of...

Also.... ALSO.... nobody wanta to play uber-laggy cross world matches... that shit is insane... but 'MURICA and all that nonsense...

@SaltShaker this is the answer to your question btw

Last edited:
Right now, the main thing pulling me to getting a PS4 is having access to SF V in the future, which right now is Sony only.

However I could see SuperDuperUltraGoHamHadoken SF V possibly being for both consoles in the future.

Will be a real downer if PS4's are region locked and XBones aren't.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Right now, the main thing pulling me to getting a PS4 is having access to SF V in the future, which right now is Sony only.

However I could see SuperDuperUltraGoHamHadoken SF V possibly being for both consoles in the future.

Will be a real downer if PS4's are region locked and XBones aren't.
i WANT THEM TO FUCKING EXPLAIN WHY

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
For Injustice I actually sent my friend in the US an EU copy of the game so we could play together and it worked fine, no problems with the connection. So it's not really a connection/netcode thing.

It's main purpose is to simplify the licensing of right's for each country (part of the reason why PC and XBox were not locked... if it was the netcode would locking one but not the others make sense?).

Localization is another (languages brahh). A game with subtitles in all 250+ languages in the world LMFAO... just 5 different region disc's with maybe 20 or so on each. This applies to content or removed content as well (Think AUS crazy ass censoring)

Anti-piracy.... I shouldnt have to explain this one.

Here is an article on the matter for further reading.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/nintendos-president-discusses-region-locking

Now please stop spouting broscience and sounding like a bunch of butthurt kids.
first of all, im fine with region lock.

ive read that article before and think all of these are more excuses than valid points.

language: what does the language have to do with online play region lock ? (hint: its nothing)
banned content: There is no censored version of the game anywhere in the world, its either released in a country or not. but Americans and Europeans play the same version. So no reason to lock for certain regions.
piracy: i dont even see what piracy has to do with region lock. i see that lock-free would encourage import from cheaper countires and therefore $$$ loss for NRS, but why is the xbox version not region locked then?

also the game is not even locked in geographical/cultural/language regions but in PAL/NSTC regions, which doesnt make a sense for any of the above points.

the only thing i could imagine is that PSN does not offer such a good online experience as XBL, and they region-lock it to keep it enjoyable on PSN. the fact that europe is also playing with australians is just being ignored.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Its easy for the Americans to be happy, but EU is fucked

our online scene will be dead in a few months, most the good players will go Xbox so they can play Americans this is fucking bullshit.

the only game in 2015 to do this, what is their fucking excuse?

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Its easy for the Americans to be happy, but EU is fucked

our online scene will be dead in a few months, most the good players will go Xbox so they can play Americans this is fucking bullshit.

the only game in 2015 to do this, what is their fucking excuse?
I, for one, purchased the US version on the US PSN store. Just get a pre paid card on ebay and buy the US version. I know it sucks that you have to spend ANOTHER 60 bucks but to me personally, it's totally worth it.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
So Im guessing all of the players from the U.S. I won't be playing again :,(
Unless you are willing to make a new account and set the region to north America, which really sucks since then you wouldn't be able to play with people in your own country :(

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
first of all, im fine with region lock.

ive read that article before and think all of these are more excuses than valid points.

language: what does the language have to do with online play region lock ? (hint: its nothing)
banned content: There is no censored version of the game anywhere in the world, its either released in a country or not. but Americans and Europeans play the same version. So no reason to lock for certain regions.
piracy: i dont even see what piracy has to do with region lock. i see that lock-free would encourage import from cheaper countires and therefore $$$ loss for NRS, but why is the xbox version not region locked then?

also the game is not even locked in geographical/cultural/language regions but in PAL/NSTC regions, which doesnt make a sense for any of the above points.

the only thing i could imagine is that PSN does not offer such a good online experience as XBL, and they region-lock it to keep it enjoyable on PSN. the fact that europe is also playing with australians is just being ignored.
Look... we can argue the merits of region locking all day. The entire point of my post was because, prior to our discussion, every post in the thread was people saying "oh shit it must be because of shitty net code" which is, most likely, thr LAST reason for the lock... but whatever

Look... we can argue the merits of region locking all day. The entire point of my post was because, prior to our discussion, every post in the thread was people saying "oh shit it must be because of shitty net code" which is, most likely, thr LAST reason for the lock... but whatever
which would also not make a sense cause xone is not locked and obviously has the same netcode