What's new

Mortal Kombat X to be Region Locked

Gamer68

Fujin!
One of the biggest questions that has been going around regarding MKX's online play, is if the game will be region locked or not. Well, according to Shaun Himmerick (aka "lover of tacos" on Twitter), Mortal Kombat X region locks will be "the same as Injustice and MK9":

Source: Shaun Himmerick (aka "lover of tacos") on Twitter

From @STRYKIE

Okay first off, I'm pretty confident most people on the site are aware that region locking and netcode are not one in the same, nor is the region lock a direct consequence of the netcode. What is being stressed here is the suspicion that the region lock has been put into place to smokescreen potentially poor netcode, being aggravated even further with match-making over cross-continental distances. Which doesn't make any sense regardless given that Europeans will be able to play with those in the Oceania region.

The second issue people have with this, is in the words of the tweet that confirmed this and I quote: "region lock will be the same as mk9/Injustice" implies that the game will only be region locked on PS3/PS4. No other platforms. Evidently it is not down to the censorship of MK in some countries, where all versions are actively being retailed and every version would be region locked had this been the case.

Lastly, I've personally already touched upon this before, given that no other fighting game in at least the last 3 years has been region locked, the inquiry is as simple as.... why is MKX region locked? Yes, NRS has the uncommon distinction of a fighting game developer based in the US opposed to the majority coming from Japan, as well as Sony being a Japanese corporation, but it's unlikely any of these relations are coming into play as Sony Computer Entertainment has more than enough intel and personnel within their American and European subsidiaries. In fact, I would be surprised if the Japanese subsidiary had any intervention given that MKX isn't being released in Japan in the first place. If you really wanna be thrown for a loop, MK Arcade Kollection (which was outsourced to Other Ocean studios mind you), is NOT region locked on any platform.

There surely have been other aspects of this talked about, I just wanted to address the ones that are causing the most confusion.

As long as everyone is now informed on what the concerns are, not necessarily the answers to the concerns, that is all, dismissed.

LockM

Noob
Seems like it might indicate they don't have enough faith in their own netcode and online might be shit yet again.
Hopefully this won't end up being the case.

I never quite understood how region locking worked in PC MK9.

I would see different rooms with different people if I changed my Steam region. That fragmented the already pitifully small community on the PC. A shame, since that game (and every single game I've ever played, for that matter) looked and played the best on the PC.