What's new

Discussion MKXL Post 3/29/16 Tier List Thread

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Against Lackey, GM sub-zero, Commando Kano, cutthroat Kano (but oddly not cybernetic)
Against Vicious, we have a surprising amount of trouble with Hellfire scorpion
Against Ruthless, Venomous D'vorah, Acidic Alien

And against all 3 variations there's Shinnok, Takeda, and Relentless Jason I think it was.

Piercing Mileena isn't a 7-3 but it's far from an easy fight.
I'm also pretty sure all variations get 6-4'd by Hollywood cassie and Cutthroat Kano. Kung Jin is also a tougher match but I'm not sure if it's 6-4

Element_

The First Element
I get the feeling you don't know many MU's. So why create a tier list? It's all good and everything but having a tier-list with question marks hanging over characters everywhere is kinda lame ;(

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I get the feeling you don't know many MU's. So why create a tier list? It's all good and everything but having a tier-list with question marks hanging over characters everywhere is kinda lame ;(
There's like 3 question marks, 2 for recently released DLC one of which very few people play and the other got changed significantly in a short amount of time. Same deal with Tanya who got heavy changed and also has a limited amount of players.

Thanks for your contribution.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Because no one wants to read through all that shit, and all the conversations happening only regard the best variation anyways.
This

The only ones that should be done separately are Triborg which was just used to add 4 characters in to the game

EDIT

Tanya, Raiden and Bo are the worst in game imo, Kenshi is a little better with his buffs.

I dont know what they were thinking with Bo!

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
We gotta stop with the "look at what this variation gets, so it sucks".

Fisticuffs Cage is without a doubt better than any variation of Kung Lao, or any variation of a lot of characters. Cage doesn't need a variation.

Btw, when Slayer made that list on Twitter, he also didn't include Alien or Kung Jin, so I mean, yeah.
Looks like my video answer to this was deleted?

Wow, tym censorship or something? xD

Anyway...stop overrating Fisticuffs.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Time to stop beating around the bush and get to it. Read it and weep. The tier list is made regarding the best variation of the character.

S Tier: Mileena, Kano, Johnny Cage, D'Vorah, Takeda, Ermac, Alien(-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A+ Tier: Jax, Sub-Zero, Quan Chi, Sonya, Shinnok, Kung Jin, Liu Kang, Tremor, Ferra Torr(+)

A Tier: Kotal, Scorpion, Jason, Jacqui, Erron Black, Predator, Reptile(+), Cassie(+), Triborg(?+), Leatherface(?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B+ Tier: Kung Lao, Goro, Raiden(+), Kitana(-)

B tier: Kenshi(+), Tanya(?)

IDK LOL: Bo Rai Cho

+ : Means a character can move up in the future
- : Means a character can move down in the future
? : Not sure, a good guesstimate. Either due to lack of players since a patch or a new Character.

What the tiers represent
S tier: These characters are the cream of the crop in this game and have many benefits to choosing them and very few negatives.

A+ Tier: These characters are very strong tourney characters, they have either have the same strengths as S tier character but with an extra weakness, or slightly less strength but same low amount of negatives

A Tier: These characters are strong tourney characters. A and A+ tier characters are pretty similar in terms of what they can do, but the A+ characters just feel like they have a tiny bit more Oomph compared to A tier. When people talk balanced and good they usually refer to this tier, but this is MKX so of course they're still plenty dirty.

B+ Tier: Okay now we're approaching characters that are "Decent tourney characters". They have good strengths but noticeable weaknesses or have average strengths with small weaknesses. Characters here can win a tourney but definitely have to put in more work and reads than A tier members. In a normal game these characters would be considered fair and balanced.

B Tier: If you win a tourney with a character here then we salute you.

List of Changes
-Moved Jacqui from being a character with a (+) in B+ tier to A tier.
EDIT: Actually slight edit, if you're lucky to have a character that can function like a Swiss pocket knife and have multiple useful variations that might cover an occasional bad MU then that's taken into consideration a bit. Not in the sense like Kung Jin's Ancestral is dogshit so he drops a tier, I mean like how Ferra Torr or Quan Chi can change up depending on the MU. It should better explain some placements on here, I don't really see anything changing since every character has a best/goto variation anyways.
Scorpion > Sub. Ermac sure af isn't S tier. Good list besides that.

Frizen

Noob
Kung lao bottom 10 character ? Probably
Tempest bottom 10 variation? Hell no.

I still main Tempest and i feel hat spin is still great in neutral and surely ex spin is one of the best moves in the game. He just doesnt have anything guaranteed anymore and he actually have bad MUs now which isnt a bad thing. No one is forcing u to play just one character. Thats why i picked piercing as my secondary. I just feel like she is covering his bad matchups well.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Ermac's got the cheeeeeeeeeeeeeese, open your eyes people.

I still main Tempest and i feel hat spin is still great in neutral and surely ex spin is one of the best moves in the game. He just doesnt have anything guaranteed anymore and he actually have bad MUs now which isnt a bad thing. No one is forcing u to play just one character. Thats why i picked piercing as my secondary. I just feel like she is covering his bad matchups well.
All characters in S, A+, and A tier have a variation that's better than Tempest.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Let's talk about Tremor. M2Dave kept saying "Tremor is officially abysmal now" so he must be bottom 3 right? I never play him so I don't know about his tier placement, the only thing I know is Tremor got nerfed pretty badly

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions

Piercing covers every match better than tempest. Orbit hat is shitty in neutral, people can just attack it the same way people attack the ice clone, but even easier.

His nerfs didn't really mean anything other than he lost his d4, the real issues are the same ones he's had forever.

Ex spin is a good punisher, but how many people are gonna purposefully do -7 moves knowing this? Otherwise it's just a 'LETS HOPE THIS HITS LOLOL' type of move (except as an anti air, which it isn't even the best anti air in the game).

Give Lao a 6f stand jab, and make f2 a true mid and a quicker low poke then we'd be talking. But otherwise he just doesn't play mkx well.

Any character with a 6f poke can literally just block and mash it all match because he doesn't have anyway to make a gap smaller than 7f in his 'offense'. Not without making himself +7 which gives him a d4/f2 check but that's pretty meh.

The numbers literally don't lie, he can be plus but he's still negative against a majority of the cast.

As it stands the only characters I think are worse than Lao are:

Raiden
Triborg
Kenshi (maybe not)
POSSIBLY Goro
BRC

So I'd put him in the bottom 10, a combination of nerfs over time, generally meh normals across all variations and a vast amount of buffs across the board for other characters have just wrecked him.

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Let's talk about Tremor. M2Dave kept saying "Tremor is officially abysmal now" so he must be bottom 3 right? I never play him so I don't know about his tier placement, the only thing I know is Tremor got nerfed pretty badly
Nerfed OTG, nerfed D4, and Uprock was completely fucked with more recovery frames and not comboing on hit when the patch came out, but they fixed Uprock's problem of not comboing but still had more recovery frames.

The nerfs hurt all his variations and Crystalline also lost his plus on block launching armor, but people are finally learning how to play him according to this patch. Which consists of picking up Crystalline and using the flex properly, as well as his launching armor since it's still good, he's still a solid character.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Question: Could Leatherface be moved higher in time? From what I've seen only Butcher received super significant changes in the patch.

The only people playing the character go to Killer, is it possible that Pretty Lady is underdeveloped?