What's new

Discussion MKXL Post 3/29/16 Tier List Thread

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Time to stop beating around the bush and get to it. Read it and weep. The tier list is made regarding the best variation of the character (READ EDIT AT BOTTOM), and it's in no particular order.

S Tier: Mileena, Kano, Johnny Cage, D'Vorah, Takeda, Ermac, Sonya, Alien
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A+ Tier: Jax, Sub-Zero, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kung Jin, Tremor, Ferra Torr(+), Liu Kang(-)

A Tier: Kotal, Scorpion, Jason, Jacqui, Erron Black, Predator, Kenshi, Triborg, Reptile(+), Cassie(+), Leatherface(?+), Jason(+)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B+ Tier: Kung Lao, Goro, Raiden(+), Kitana

B tier: Tanya(?)

IDK LOL: Bo Rai Cho

+ : Means a character can move up in the future
- : Means a character can move down in the future
? : Not sure, a good guesstimate. Either due to lack of players since a patch or a new Character.

What the tiers represent
S tier: These characters are the cream of the crop in this game and have many benefits to choosing them and very few negatives.

A+ Tier: These characters are very strong tourney characters, they have either have the same strengths as S tier character but with an extra weakness, or slightly less strength but same low amount of negatives

A Tier: These characters are strong tourney characters. A and A+ tier characters are pretty similar in terms of what they can do, but the A+ characters just feel like they have a tiny bit more Oomph compared to A tier. When people talk balanced and good they usually refer to this tier, but this is MKX so of course they're still plenty dirty.

B+ Tier: Okay now we're approaching characters that are "Decent tourney characters". They have good strengths but noticeable weaknesses or have average strengths with small weaknesses. Characters here can win a tourney but definitely have to put in more work and reads than A tier members. In a normal game these characters would be considered fair and balanced.

B Tier: If you win a tourney with a character here then we salute you.

List of Changes
- Moved Jacqui from being a character with a (+) in B+ tier to A tier.
- Moved Sonya from A+ tier to a character a (-) in S tier.

- Moving Kenshi to A tier, Kenjutsu is fine
- Sonya can stay S tier, I was wrong lol
- Triborg has the (?) removed from him, I think A tier is fine.
- Jason now has a (+), he's dumb
- Alien is now S tier without a (-)
- And all ya'll Sub-Zero downplayers can go home, A+ is fine.
EDIT: Actually slight edit, if you're lucky to have a character that can function like a Swiss pocket knife and have multiple useful variations that might cover an occasional bad MU then that's taken into consideration a bit. Not in the sense like Kung Jin's Ancestral is dogshit so he drops a tier, I mean like how Ferra Torr or Quan Chi can change up depending on the MU. It should better explain some placements on here, I don't really see anything changing since every character has a best/goto variation anyways.

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Another tier list based on an arbitrary comparison of tools instead of MU's.
You know it.

Edit: Before someone else comes in here and says the same thing I wanna address this. A tier list based on MUs would require having multiple character experts give their inputs on each of their respective character's MUs. Now while this would be ideal it's probably not gonna happen since high level players don't really come to TYM for a deep discussion about their characters strengths and weaknesses (outside of a few like Pig, REO, Tom, etc.). So this is gonna remain a pipe dream for now.

Another thing that could happen would be for TYM to have a MU chart like EventHubs where everyone can give their opinion for each character. But then we wouldn't have threads like these :D, and then there's the problem of Cage players making him go 5-5 at best with the whole cast..

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I'm suprised that you put ferra/torr in A+ only after all the time you say they're broke lol

Can't argue though this has to be the most accurate list I've seen yet.
I thing he's absolute cocaine but he does have a few DooDoo MUs, specifically Shinnok, which is the only reason I didn't put him in S tier.

But I think with time it could change hence the '+'.

Kung Lao, from the bottom, to relatively near the top, to the bottom again RIP
Sooooooo is that a thumbs up for the list?

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I thing he's absolute cocaine but he does have a few DooDoo MUs, specifically Shinnok, which is the only reason I didn't put him in S tier.

But I think with time it could change hence the '+'.

Sooooooo is that a thumbs up for the list?
Yes it is I like it.

I feel like they're just in the right place in A+. That shinnok mu is disgusting and I feel like SR and lasher takeda can be really hard too so yeah, most accurate ft placing since ever imo

Scorpion better than Lao?
Ferra/Torr better than Cassie?
Mileena better than Quan Chi?
Ermac better than Shinnok?
Jason better than Kitana?
Kano better than Liu Kang?

Not buying any of it.