What's new

MKX will allow, "choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both..."

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I'm guessing it'll be like Slash/Bust from SamSho 3+4. Same normals, different specials.

Perhaps you will select your character and then select the "realm", so Netherrealm Scorpion would have ground flames and such, whereas Earthrealm Scorp would have takedowns and a command throw (or whatever), but no flame moves. If you think about some of the endings in MK9, having different versions of characters based on realms does make a bit of sense, lore-wise.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Lets say its is like Melty Blood....
At character select screen you choose your character, then choose 1 of 3 different movesets/specials, then their color/costume...

Speaking of costumes...I hope they bring back really old ones....
Scorpion's DA costume is awesome IMO
Both Scorpion's DA costumes are great. I would also love to see MKDA Kung Lao and MKD Millena

Cool_Prizes

Angry Joshua
Both Scorpion's DA costumes are great. I would also love to see MKDA Kung Lao and MKD Millena
I think I am like the only person who doesn't want dead characters to return......I'm fine with Sub-Zero because of who he is (Thanks Quan-Chi) And I'd be cool with Liu Kang coming back as a villian.
BUT PLEASE NRS....No more ressurrected dead characters.
We need new characters, and better versions of the MK4, MKDA, and MKD characters

Last edited:

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Just an observation to be discussed. I wasn't hitting on you....But seriously, a lot more riding on it? Does netherream or MK in general really have that great of a track record? Armageddon, MK vs DC, Deadly Alliance (I suppose that's debatable). Even injustice is pretty suspect considering most people on this site just bitch about it. I donno man. I'm gonna stop myself now because at the end of the day none of us really know what they're doing, but this scares me. A lot. I hope e3 clarifies.
suspect? The people on this site are the ones who nitpick the most. The ones that gripe and complain the most. It's generally like that in most communities. On the whole though, NRS games have always sold well, and yes, even Injustice.

If you are just talking tournament player perspective though, MK9 was the first time they actually tried to cater to that audience; Injustice was a HUGE improvement on MK9 in many aspects, and MK9 2 (MKX) should be better still.

The thing about NRS overall is that their (Boon's) philosophy on game design has always been fun first. MK has never been like SF in that they don't just iterate, they innovate with every game. MKX will be awesome. I have nothing but faith in NRS.

zerosebaz

I think I am like the only person who doesn't want dead characters to return......I'm fine with Sub-Zero because of who he is (Thanks Quan-Chi) And I'd be cool with Liu Kang coming back as a villian.
We need new characters, and better versions of the MK4, MKDA, and MKD characters
But they already resurrected them, remember when you fought against them as Raiden 5 minutes after they were killed? They are serving Quan Chi now, and I bet a big part of the storymode will be about releasing them of his control.

gosoxtim

Noob
But they already resurrected them, remember when you fought against them as Raiden 5 minutes after they were killed? They are serving Quan Chi now, and I bet a big part of the storymode will be about releasing them of his control.
players step into an original story showcasing some of the game’s most prolific characters including Scorpion and Sub-Zero, while introducing new challengers that represent the forces of good and evil and tie the tale together

this doesn't sound like they contuning the story in this statement sound like we get a original story with new character along with subs and scorps

Last edited:

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
My ideal interpretation (see first post).

But I could really be into having "Bi-Han" as a character, with MK1 Sub-Zero and Noob Saibot being his two alternate power sets (same fighting strings), and "Kuai Liang" being a separate character, with MK2 Sub-Zero and Cyber Sub-Zero being his two alternate power sets (same fighting strings).

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Can someone break down what that could possibly mean to me? It would be appreciated lol.
I case it wasn't covered yet it means that there SHOULD be more balance. No more 9-1 MU'S because each character should have a second stance that is favorable against zoners or rush down or whatever.... just adds another layer to make maining one character more viable and so that it doesn't become all about counter picking

Glass Sword

Nobody
I feel this is going to implemented through havering a normal charcter than an "EX" charcter. Both versions have what make that character what makes them who they are, for example Scorpion will have spear toss and teleport for both versions, but have a few different special moves and strings. Like we could have flip kick Scorpion or Hell Fire Scorpion.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I think it would be cool if the characters moves/strings look the same between characters, but they have different properties. Let's say Shang for example, one version he can have similar skull startup as mk9 with more true mid hitting normals that are more plus or safer for rushdown and alternate Shang may have much faster skulls but the trade off is less safety on normals to reward getting in on him. This makes it so you are still learning the same character but just choosing the best version for the matchup or one that suits your style/ taste best. Things like damage, pushback, chip, breakability could all vary as well. Even which strings become launchers could vary

Last edited:

BGMD

Noob
"Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style.

Don't know why, but these "multiple variations" smells like different timelines to me. Looks like NRS writers love doing that shit, changing history in MK9, alternate universes in Injustice (not a novelty for DC tho)... let's see

Cool_Prizes

Angry Joshua
Did nobody here play Melty Blood????
Just think of the Moon System and implement that to Mortal Kombat.
You guys are thinking too much into it.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
They've already shown us what it means. Look at Nightwing, or Wonder Woman. They'll just make both "stances" more in depth and you'll have to choose the stance at character select.

This sounds cool, but does that mean we have to learn 2 or more matchups for each character? Imagine learning 90 different matchups guys...Yuck.
I agree in regards to the Nightwing and Wonder Woman stances (basically two different versions of each character) but perhaps this is NRS' way of solving that age old balance theory. They could essentially make every playable character a hybrid character (zoning/anti zoning, zoning/rush down, etc., et.,) for which the player decides before the match. Brilliant.

Also, I kind of like the idea of 90 some different types of MU's...the game would stay interesting and fresh for years to come.

zerosebaz

players step into an original story showcasing some of the game’s most prolific characters including Scorpion and Sub-Zero, while introducing new challengers that represent the forces of good and evil and tie the tale together

this doesn't sound like they contuning the story in this statement sound like we get a original story with new character along with subs and scorps
What part of "some of the game most prolific characters" sounds like new characters?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Did nobody here play Melty Blood????
Just think of the Moon System and implement that to Mortal Kombat.
You guys are thinking too much into it.
I'm hoping it's something like that, but the way it's worded, and how NRS does things, I'm just going to wait and see.

But man I do hope it's like moons/ism/grooves.
I love those types of systems.

maybe you can just choose if youre a power, Gadget or acrobatic char... for interactable use :D

im sorry, i hope its zoner/rushdown/etc iterations for every char too.

gosoxtim

Noob
What part of "some of the game most prolific characters" sounds like new characters?
the team has worked hard to make sure Mortal Kombat X delivers everything fans expect along with new characters, new game modes and an all new graphics engine

how about new characters in this statment and the new challengers in the other statement

I think online wise MKX will be the best yet at least when it comes to next gen, with dedicated servers and all....not sure about the current gen lol, I think its still gonna be ass cheeks

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
doesn't want dead characters to return......
I'm fine with Sub-Zero because of who he is And I'd be cool with Liu Kang coming back as a villian.
THIS !
Exactly this !