What's new

MKX will allow, "choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both..."

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
the team has worked hard to make sure Mortal Kombat X delivers everything fans expect along with new characters, new game modes and an all new graphics engine

how about new characters in this statment and the new challengers in the other statement
Well, the one you quoted before did not say anything of the sort, so that is on you for misquoting, but by this it does seem we would get some new chars, which is always good. Still, I think you should expect several of the dead warriors to return, as there is no reason not to have them seeing they were revived during Raiden's chapter in MK9.

gosoxtim

Noob
Well, the one you quoted before did not say anything of the sort, so that is on you for misquoting, but by this it does seem we would get some new chars, which is always good. Still, I think you should expect several of the dead warriors to return, as there is no reason not to have them seeing they were revived during Raiden's chapter in MK9.
i agree we may get some old characters but not all of them

Last edited:

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
i agree we may geyt some old characters but not all of them
Yeah, I don't think all of them, but Sub-zero, Kitana, Kabal, Jax and Kung Lao will be back for sure. Jade has a chance, and Nightwolf, Stryker and Sindel probably won't make it. If I had to order them from most likely to less likely to return it would be:

Sub-zero
Kitana-Jax
Smoke-Kabal-Kung Lao
Jade
Stryker-Nightwolf
Sindel

gosoxtim

Noob
Yeah, I don't think all of them, but Sub-zero, Kitana, Kabal, Jax and Kung Lao will be back for sure. Jade has a chance, and Nightwolf, Stryker and Sindel probably won't make it. If I had to order them from most likely to less likely to return it would be:

Sub-zero
Kitana-Jax
Smoke-Kabal-Kung Lao
Jade
Stryker-Nightwolf
Sindel
well scorpion and subzero is all ready confirm but the rest is anybody guess

Mix-Up CJ

@MIxUp_CJ
I'm hoping it's multiple fighting styles like the 3d games, but you can only choose one. Special attacks stay the same, but totally different attack strings.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the first time. That would be much better and less cumbersome

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I like the idea of there being different play styles for characters, like a lot of you are thinking as well. Including special moves.

Zoner Sub, and Rush down Sub for example.
Zoner Sub would have things like:
Lower defense/health
Less straight up offensive tools and more defensive and immobilizing tools.
Longer ranged normals and specials.

Rushing Sub would have things like:
Better defense/health
Faster attacks and strings
Less immobilizing specials and more use of ice weapons.
Tools to get in on opponents, like maybe a command, safe, non-attack ice slide/dash to close distance.

More like Ryu and Akuma than Ryu and Ken(or Cyrax and CyBlax).

Would really let people use their favorites without worrying about having to fit a certain play style to be successful.

It would also be really unique for modern 2D fighters, if this game is in fact a 2D fighter(has it been confirmed yet?).

Last edited:
I like the idea of there being different play styles for characters, like a lot of you are thinking as well. Including special moves.

Lower defense/health

Better defense/health
Tools to get in on opponents, like maybe a command, safe, non-attack ice slide/dash to close distance.

Would really let people use their favorites without worrying about having to fit a certain play style to be successful.

It would also be really unique for modern 2D fighters, if this game is in fact a 2D fighter(has it been confirmed yet?).
This makes it sound like more of an rpg than a fighter though.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
So, the old running gag of Noob Saibot stance vs Bi Han stance has been confirmed.
Or try this: we're killed half of the cast, so we're making up for that by making each other character into several fighters.
:DOGE

Seriously though, I wonder if those will be more like tweaked versions of the same "characters", different "characters" with similar outlook, or something that can be changed in a match (between rounds or something, no matter).

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
suspect? The people on this site are the ones who nitpick the most. The ones that gripe and complain the most. It's generally like that in most communities. On the whole though, NRS games have always sold well, and yes, even Injustice.

If you are just talking tournament player perspective though, MK9 was the first time they actually tried to cater to that audience; Injustice was a HUGE improvement on MK9 in many aspects, and MK9 2 (MKX) should be better still.

The thing about NRS overall is that their (Boon's) philosophy on game design has always been fun first. MK has never been like SF in that they don't just iterate, they innovate with every game. MKX will be awesome. I have nothing but faith in NRS.
Innovation isn't synonymous with quality unfortunately. They do try new things more so than some other FGs but they also have a bad habit of not learning from mistakes or not keeping/improving on things that worked like SF did from iteration to iteration, or pretty much any of the top games you see nowadays. A lot of things they have tried have also either sucked or just been mildy fun diversions from the core game which wasn't that good( ex Konquest modes).

The concept of multi-styled characters is find and dandy but people still have the bad memories of the 3d trashtacular MK games that pretty much had lazily put together fight templates and "innovated" by just swamping them between character models. The move sets themselves had very little rhyme or reason behind them, to compliment the characters. That's my main concern with this, if they are there just be there or there are actually designed with thought and reason to give legitimate options to each character rather than just a gimmick that' lose it's luster after a month. I'm slightly more optimistic than I would be like 3 years ago but I'm not exactly stoked.

I case it wasn't covered yet it means that there SHOULD be more balance. No more 9-1 MU'S because each character should have a second stance that is favorable against zoners or rush down or whatever.... just adds another layer to make maining one character more viable and so that it doesn't become all about counter picking
I'd just worry about how it might homogenize the roster of having everyone being able to do the same thing it's it is just a template of Offensive/Defensive. It's good if it reduces lopsided match ups, but rather not at the cost of having little variety between characters. Preferably it might be able to be more fine tuned that.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
This could be as simple as Cyrax vs Cyblax, and Sub vs Cyber Sub. Alt costumes with variations of the movesets and hitboxes and stuff.

Perhaps dead character have netherrealm versions of themselves.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior

Lower defense/health

Better defense/health

Something like this would be awesome.

But I have a feeling it's gonna be stances like in the 3D games. =/

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This could be as simple as Cyrax vs Cyblax, and Sub vs Cyber Sub. Alt costumes with variations of the movesets and hitboxes and stuff.

Perhaps dead character have netherrealm versions of themselves.
Has to be either or actually.

CyBlax played the exact same almost, put was just a bit faster or slower with some of his moves or combos.

Sub-zero and Cyber subzero had almost entirely different movesets, and played entirely different as well.

Cyber Sub was a faster, rushdown oriented character, Sub was more of a heavily defensive turtle/zoner.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This could either work really really well or completely ruin the balance of the game.

Heres hoping its the former.

Reptile :
Human Form - Balance type
Reptilian Humanoid - Rusher
Smoke :
Human Form - Balance type
Robot Form - Projectile type
Smoke Demon - Projectile/Rush type
Scorpion
Flame Demon - Balance type
Human form - Balance/Graple

I ain't even mad, bring it NRS

Just imagine if Sektor and Shang Tsung is involved as well. The chances of having a 50/50 Sektor (like he was but better than in MK9), or a more defensive + morph set with Shang Tsung

Justice

Noob
They've already shown us what it means. Look at Nightwing, or Wonder Woman. They'll just make both "stances" more in depth and you'll have to choose the stance at character select.

This sounds cool, but does that mean we have to learn 2 or more matchups for each character? Imagine learning 90 different matchups guys...Yuck.
Naw. I think for ease of use they'll have the moveset predominantly the same but maybe add/subtract a few moves. Something closer to Raven in Injustice I'm thinking. Assuming of course it's not like Ultra's Edition Select....

Justice

Noob
I just hope they add Predator as a Guest character, his story as a hunter of the universe can work well in MKU. Like for example he goes to every realm and finally lands in Earthrealm for his hunt and the warriors of MKU are in his was of his goals etc.
Lobo would be more likely...

I don't know what they have in store guys, but Boon is always mentioning Street Fighter x Tekken on twitter. They are most likely taking notes from it's gameplay system. I didn't play this game, but can someone give a basic rundown on it's design?