What's new

MKX. . . DLC the smart move by NRS

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
The game being a next generation installation and available on PC means ... DLC out the ass. They could literally just put every character ever, into the game. Over time of course. Expand upon stages, add new modes, the possibilities are endless. This is not just about characters anymore. This is their way to create not just a steady income but something we might be playing not just next year but in five years, perhaps.
Balancing 30 chars isn't the same as balancing 50+ chars... I really hope Nrs doesn't go crazy with dlc. 28-32 chars is enough, heck id prefer 24 tbh.

darkmoonlight_va

Kitana Assassin Main
Balancing 30 chars isn't the same as balancing 50+ chars... I really hope Nrs doesn't go crazy with dlc. 28-32 chars is enough, heck id prefer 24 tbh.
Especially since there are three variations which really complicate it. Not saying that I don't like the idea, don't get me wrong, I think that it is awesome that I have a Kitana variation with ranging and one with rushdown, I just fear that the balancing is going to be difficult.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Tanya barely missed the cut for MK9, no way will they leave her out. She's probably the most requested female since the last game.

Also, are people insinuating Baraka than the humans, let alone Liu Kang?

I will be shocked if one of the guest characters is not a DC character. We had an MK character in Injustice. Why wouldn't we have an Injustice character in MK? Particularly since MK has already had guests like Freddy and Kratos. That's a discussion I'd like to see: which DC character do we think would be likely to be a guest in MKX.

Companies cross-promote. That's just what they do. Freddy was a guest in MK because WB had the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot coming out. Scorpion was a guest in Injustice because NRS/DC/WB are under the same umbrella. It would be amazing if there wasn't a DC Injustice character in MKX, particularly if they are planning an Injustice 2. I'm not saying both guest characters would be DC, but I would bet that one is.

My best guess is on The Joker.
1) He is iconic. Everyone knows The Joker. If it is DLC you want someone everyone knows. Scorpion is iconic, perhaps the most iconic MK character, so he went into Injustice. You want DLC that will sell or what is the point. Casuals, even those that didn't play Injustice, would still get Joker. This is going to knock out a lot of the cast of IGAU, since you want a must have that everyone knows.
2) He's died a lot. Joker has died in movies, died in comics, and died in video games already. It wouldn't tear the fabric of reality to watch him get a Fatality. This is going to knock out a lot of the IGAU cast, especially heroes, because there are plenty that we'd never see getting a fatality. It is hard to see DC being okay with having Batman's face melted off or Superman's spine torn out. Most of the hero cast is gone on this basis alone. Maybe 30 years ago it'd be weird to see Joker have his arms ripped off, but it wouldn't seem like a big deal now.
3) Joker is in the Suicide Squad movie coming 2016, brought to you by WB and DC: BOOM, more cross-promoting.

I suppose it could be Grundy, since people like zombies, even if he isn't as iconic. Maybe Bane since he is pretty well-known. There are some other contenders, but I'm guessing The Joker is a guest character in MKX. I could be wrong, but it makes a lot of economic sense to me. A popular, iconic character that everyone knows, lots of casuals would want to buy, who would fit in the dark, violent MK world, and would help promote Injustice/Injustice 2 and an upcoming movie.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I will be shocked if one of the guest characters is not a DC character. We had an MK character in Injustice. Why wouldn't we have an Injustice character in MK? Particularly since MK has already had guests like Freddy and Kratos. That's a discussion I'd like to see: which DC character do we think would be likely to be a guest in MKX.

Companies cross-promote. That's just what they do. Freddy was a guest in MK because WB had the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot coming out. Scorpion was a guest in Injustice because NRS/DC/WB are under the same umbrella. It would be amazing if there wasn't a DC Injustice character in MKX, particularly if they are planning an Injustice 2. I'm not saying both guest characters would be DC, but I would bet that one is.

My best guess is on The Joker.
1) He is iconic. Everyone knows The Joker. If it is DLC you want someone everyone knows. Scorpion is iconic, perhaps the most iconic MK character, so he went into Injustice. You want DLC that will sell or what is the point. Casuals, even those that didn't play Injustice, would still get Joker. This is going to knock out a lot of the cast of IGAU, since you want a must have that everyone knows.
2) He's died a lot. Joker has died in movies, died in comics, and died in video games already. It wouldn't tear the fabric of reality to watch him get a Fatality. This is going to knock out a lot of the IGAU cast, especially heroes, because there are plenty that we'd never see getting a fatality. It is hard to see DC being okay with having Batman's face melted off or Superman's spine torn out. Most of the hero cast is gone on this basis alone. Maybe 30 years ago it'd be weird to see Joker have his arms ripped off, but it wouldn't seem like a big deal now.
3) Joker is in the Suicide Squad movie coming 2016, brought to you by WB and DC: BOOM, more cross-promoting.

I suppose it could be Grundy, since people like zombies, even if he isn't as iconic. Maybe Bane since he is pretty well-known. There are some other contenders, but I'm guessing The Joker is a guest character in MKX. I could be wrong, but it makes a lot of economic sense to me. A popular, iconic character that everyone knows, lots of casuals would want to buy, who would fit in the dark, violent MK world, and would help promote Injustice/Injustice 2 and an upcoming movie.
If I remember correctly, I think they've already said guest characters won't be from Injustice.

I do agree that Joker would be the only character that would truly fit from Injustice though.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Well, at least we're receiving four DLC characters. Is there gonna be more?

With Injustice the demand for some characters was pretty high, but they never made it to the roster (Red Hood, Black Manta, Firestorm, Circe...)

So, what's the real chance of characters like Tanya, Li Mei, Mavado or Meat to be DLC? I think it's pretty low.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper

With Injustice the demand for some characters was pretty high, but they never made it to the roster (Red Hood, Black Manta, Firestorm, Circe...)

So, what's the real chance of characters like Tanya, Li Mei, Mavado or Meat to be DLC? I think it's pretty low.
I (unfortunately) wouldn't be surprised if Tanya turned out to be DLC. They better make her cool as fuck, because as far as I'm concerned, she is a worthless character right now. I don't care how much of a strong, independent blackdenian woman she is.

I wouldn't even entertain the thought of any of those other guys making it. I do hope we get more than four though, because the thought of TWO guest characters as DLC makes me cringe.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I hate guest characters, they make me puke. But I know I have to deal with it.

I'm hoping for more than four too. But if it's true that DLC characters from MK9 won't come back, then Skarlet is out and that makes me rage! lol

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
@That__John__Guy Yea valiant effort and fine idea but they already said "no injustice characters will appear in mkx." I thought the same thing, it makes a ton of sense from a marketing, cross promotion standpoint.

Hades

Noob
Okay but the amount of people who say "blade arms and shark teeth" outweigh the amount of people who say "black dude with metal arms".

This started by me saying Baraka is not one of the most recognizable characters...there are, at least, ten more recognizable.

I'm not sure anybody realizes what this was about anymore.
I don't see how you don't get ahat he's saying...

To a person who's only interested in this game mostly for aesthetics and fun value rather than playing competitively a psychotic, weird ass looking motherfucker with sharp teeth and gigantic ass blades protruding out of his arms is waaay more appealing than a black soldier with metal arms.

Also how can you say baraka isn't even top 10 most recognizable characters? Who else is in your top 10 from a casual perspective?

I hate guest characters, they make me puke. But I know I have to deal with it.

I'm hoping for more than four too. But if it's true that DLC characters from MK9 won't come back, then Skarlet is out and that makes me rage! lol
I feel ya about the guest characters. 1 is fine, but 2 when we are only getting 4 DLC characters is too much imo.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Also how can you say baraka isn't even top 10 most recognizable characters? Who else is in your top 10 from a casual perspective?
I agree Baraka is absolutely one of the most recognized figures in all of MK. Jax is just a dude. Remember when Mk2 dropped? Baraka was nuts! First guy I wanted to get my hands on. Show 1000 random people on the street a pic of Jax and a pic of Baraka and ask them to name the characters. Way more are going to instantly know Baraka vs Jax. Shit you could even tell them "Hes the ONE black dude from the mortal kombat games." They still would name Baraka first.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
I have a feeling we'll get at least two more after what happened with Injustice with the two most requested (Fujin, Tanya?) not being included in the bundle deal (I also assume the guest characters cap at 2). Goro already rounds out the DLC count to 5.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
It may sound weird and i have nothing to back it up, but i think a dlc character may be kintaro, since they are putting goro in the game and a giant 4 armed fire breathing tiger is a pretty easy sell for casual mortal kombat players.

after that i would guess noob saibot and smoke since they were 2 insanely popular characters in mortal kombat 9, characters that new players can easily gravitate towards and look pretty damn cool.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
after that i would guess noob saibot and smoke since they were 2 insanely popular characters in mortal kombat 9, characters that new players can easily gravitate towards and look pretty damn cool.
I really hope NRS has thought about this. Especially something like a Noob/Smoke reincarnation. Imagine what it could be in MKX with one variation geared towards Noob, one more towards Smoke, and one a 50/50 mix. Like really??

I can't think of a single dlc that would sell more than Noob/Smoke returning.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26

Don't sleep on Tanya

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master

I can imagine Tanya, but Meat? He'll never be in another MK unless its a secret joke.