What's new

MKII Tier List Discussion

HA. Maybe MK2 was designed to be (cough) unbalanced. Balance is boring. Could Boon have purposely made the game the way it is with the intention of extending the life of the game? I wonder how many hours were used to test the game before release. It would be funny if you could find him saying something to one of his minions like...
"Fuck it, I know Milenna is unstopable, but there's nothing we can do now. The game is finished."

Hopefully the hacker(s) did extensive testing. Johnny's unduckable, lengthier shadow kick seems like bad idea. Surprised Sub Zero's ice wasn't made unblockable......meaning even if you tried to block it, you'd still turn into a popsicle. Time will tell i guess.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Maybe we can just say that tier cannot be totally proven and leave it at that. Proponents of tier and antitierists are both correct. Somehow, i think a metaphorical, philosophical argument can end this, but i'm unfamiliar with such at the moment.I'll add that, those strictly adhering to the idea of 'tier' are usually more successful at defeating opponents who believe in its nonexistence.
Yes it is remarkable that the very best players in the world acknowledge that tier exists.
Hmm... must be something to it huh?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Here's a question for everyone. Why would a perfectly balanced game (if that's even possible) make a game like MK2 better?
The best match-ups in the game are the close ones- Kitana vs Lao, Scorpion vs Sub-Zero, Mileena vs Liu, Cage vs Sub, etc...
That's why it would be more fun if it were more balanced.

But if you're an MK2 purist, you enjoy the challenge of trying to win a match like Scorpion vs Liu.
Winning an "un-winnable" match is much more rewarding than winning an easy one.

As for Boon and the designers... jeez it's taken us 21 years to realize all that we know about MK2.
I'm sure those guys didn't know how broken some stuff was.
Hell, in the Boon interview in one of my MK2 arcade guides, he doesn't even mention Mileena or Jax as the best characters.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
How is there even a Tier List in MKII if there isnt even combos in that game? until they added the run button in MK3 which made combos.

LOL @ the very best players in the world Jay. the mk2 online scene now (from its introduction on ps3) probably represents 1/10 of 1% of those who have ever played well. if that.

Last edited:
I have just received a secret message from one of my couriers sent on a special assignment. Scorpangel is now an official anti-tierist.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I have just received a secret message from one of my couriers sent on a special assignment. Scorpangel is now an official anti-tierist.
Scorpangel won vs my bottom tier tonight with his top tier, 10-2.
There you have it.
Granted without lag I would have done a little better (getting hit by 20 fireballs coz of delay lag gets old).
But there are few answers for bottom tier vs elite top.
Compare this to when I 16 streaked Scorpangel's top tier with my own top tier in a perfect connection, LOL.

Let's see... 16-0 vs someone, compared to 2-10. How can anyone argue tier doesn't matter?
My Cage and Reptile are as skilled as my Kitana/Mileena, yet I destroy him with mid/top tier, and get decimated when using bottom tier.

Scorpangel would be a perfect "anti-tierist". He ONLY uses top tier and probably claims all fighters are the same level.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
How is there even a Tier List in MKII if there isnt even combos in that game? until they added the run button in MK3 which made combos.
Have you ever played the game LOL?
You make yourself sound pretty silly when you say MK2 has no combos.
Here's just ONE example of an amazing MK2 combo done by myself:

Everyone in MK2 has combos, even Reptile.
Of course there aren't any retarded HP, HP, HK, HK, LK chain combos like in UMK3 etc.
And that's why MK2 is as awesome as it is.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
He is more than welcome to see how many matches HIS Cage and Reptile can get off of my Mileena and Jax HAHA.
Whereas he won 10-2 tonight with top tier vs my low tier, I would beat his low tier 12-0 with my top tier.
Why?
Because I'm the stronger player, and I actually use all the fighters, so I have a better awareness of how to win those difficult matches.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Have you ever played the game LOL?
You make yourself sound pretty silly when you say MK2 has no combos.
Here's just ONE example of an amazing MK2 combo done by myself:

Everyone in MK2 has combos, even Reptile.
Of course there aren't any retarded HP, HP, HK, HK, LK chain combos like in UMK3 etc.
And that's why MK2 is as awesome as it is.
Lol I have played the game actually, Im not a noob or a young buck. Im a kid born in the 90's, the reason I said that is b/c in that game its mostly just uppercut, special moves, any of HK LK HP LP etc.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Lol I have played the game actually, Im not a noob or a young buck. Im a kid born in the 90's, the reason I said that is b/c in that game its mostly just uppercut, special moves, any of HK LK HP LP etc.
For beginners the game is just uppercuts and special moves.

For advanced-elite players, it is combos, jabs, counters, and strategy.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
For beginners the game is just uppercuts and special moves.

For advanced-elite players, it is combos, jabs, counters, and strategy.
Yeah I knew that already, like I said I was about 7 when I played that as a kid not knowing the technicial stuff like frames, and what you mentioned.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard

There was unblockable ice in r1.4 and it was a nightmare.
Ice being unblockable would lead to the most ridiculous infinites in this game.
I'm pretty sure something like that would even get banned in Marvel.
LOL don't be a smart ass. My knowledge of MK2 is (at least) the same level as yours.
I'm well aware the early revisions had crazy moves/combos that they fixed.
I said the only version anyone plays is Rev. 3.1, so early versions are but a reference point.

Sub-Zero's ice should be duckable, but unblockable.
Anyone who is 11th on the tier needs some kind of improvement.
There would be some infinites that came from that, but they could have been prevented- possibly by making the Freeze animation longer?
As it is now, when you JK/Freeze someone, the Freeze goes through them without actually freezing them.

Would giving everyone the ability to block in the air to prevent eating a fireball, fan, or air throw for example make the game better? What about being able to block ground pounds for Jax? He has the only unblockable move, right?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Would giving everyone the ability to block in the air to prevent eating a fireball, fan, or air throw for example make the game better? What about being able to block ground pounds for Jax? He has the only unblockable move, right?
Yes blocking in air would change things. Would make it easier to deal with Mileena and Liu's spam.
If you could block Jax's Ground Pound, the move would basically be useless.

Sub-Zero's Ground Ice is also unblockable.

Instead of a run button, what about an additional button, or using both kick buttons to perform maybe a longer, higher jump? Bad idea?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Instead of a run button, what about an additional button, or using both kick buttons to perform maybe a longer, higher jump? Bad idea?
It would probably be better to make each character unique and give them different jump height and speed, ala street fighter.