What's new

MKII Tier List Discussion

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Right on about the Air Sai. What do you mean by 100% corner combos with little effort though?
Most of her bad ass corner combos take off in the 50-70% range and require lots of skill.
She has that weird aaHP/Roll/cLP/Roll/cLP/Roll etc corner combo, but that is EXTREMELY hard to do.
Are there some I am forgetting about?

@Eldriken Mileena is #1 in MK2, but she is not an automatic win.
Her Roll and Telekick are very punishable. And Jax, Liu, Lao and Raiden all give her a very good match.
Maybe it's just me then. I've been putting in a lot of time offline with Mileena corner combos and if it's not too bold of me to say I've gotten pretty proficient with them.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Maybe it's just me then. I've been putting in a lot of time offline with Mileena corner combos and if it's not too bold of me to say I've gotten pretty proficient with them.
I've never had anyone hit me with a 100% Mileena combo, outside of corner punch infinite traps.
You gotta record these combos so I can see what I'm missing! What ones are you doing?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I've never had anyone hit me with a 100% Mileena combo, outside of corner punch infinite traps.
You gotta record these combos so I can see what I'm missing! What ones are you doing?
I've done a couple (and been hit by a couple) but offline only. They are pretty difficult and heavy setup based.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I meant other characters in general.
lol I still don't know what you are asking then. It's too vague.

If you mean characters who block something and counter with damage then Sub/Reptile are the worst as they have slide but Sub has the upper hand there with being able to punish some things with freeze which means jk ground ice to uppercut for big damage. Then you have Raiden who literally only has Superman or JK to punish unless it's close so he's pretty far down there too but not as bad as Baraka unless you count the Blade Fury which makes up for the "one hit" with big damage. Like I said, it's pretty vague... but I'd have to say Reptile.

dubson

Noob
I was thinking Kung Lao.
Kung Lao? Spin bro, pretty sure the move was literally made in mind as a reversal/punisher primarily (defensive move in mind as opposed to offensive), and a spin/pop-up can lead to serious damage. I wouldn't say Kung Lao...

I agree with Reptile

Last edited:
Yeah, i'll change my mind just bcuz of invisibility and how well jay uses it. i thought kung lao because caldwell is rediculous with him, often going into offensive spin attacks b4 he hits the ground sometimes it seems. sub is a good selection too i guess.

kunglao just seems more unpredictable i think.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Why is cage so high? I never found him any threat in 2. Can't you duck all his special moves? I thought he was down there with reptile.
Scorpion was weird in this game too. He is a threat to the top tiers but has more issues with the lower tiers lol.
I also remember the sub-zero vs Liu kang match sucks since Liu can low fireball under the freeze and jump out of ground ice on wake up. Memories :)

dubson

Noob
Yeah, i'll change my mind just bcuz of invisibility and how well jay uses it. i thought kung lao because caldwell is rediculous with him, often going into offensive spin attacks b4 he hits the ground sometimes it seems. sub is a good selection too i guess.

kunglao just seems more unpredictable i think.
I'm thinking I may have misunderstood your question now...

i knew you would figure it out. :)

so, i'm sticking with lao. (in the hands of someone like caldwell). i think the fact that kung lao can put himself back on the ground so fast after a jump (either well-timed or not) makes him as scary, or even more so than milenna.

i think lao has the fewest good counters. tho i like baraka against him for some reason.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Why is cage so high? I never found him any threat in 2. Can't you duck all his special moves? I thought he was down there with reptile.
Scorpion was weird in this game too. He is a threat to the top tiers but has more issues with the lower tiers lol.
I also remember the sub-zero vs Liu kang match sucks since Liu can low fireball under the freeze and jump out of ground ice on wake up. Memories :)
Cage is anywhere from #9-#11 on the tier. That's pretty low.
He is weak- but has great jab, is hard TO jab, and possesses a projectile with varying heights.

Scorpion is actually one of the worst picks against top tier.
Mileena, Jax, and Liu destroy him. He goes pretty even with Reptile, Sub, Cage, Baraka and Raiden (the lowest tier players).

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
i knew you would figure it out. :)

so, i'm sticking with lao. (in the hands of someone like caldwell). i think the fact that kung lao can put himself back on the ground so fast after a jump (either well-timed or not) makes him as scary, or even more so than milenna.

i think lao has the fewest good counters. tho i like baraka against him for some reason.
There really isn't a good counterpick to Lao, no.
Top tier has a 6-4ish advantage vs him, but nothing that I would consider a counter pick.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Cage is anywhere from #9-#11 on the tier. That's pretty low.
He is weak- but has great jab, is hard TO jab, and possesses a projectile with varying heights.

Scorpion is actually one of the worst picks against top tier.
Mileena, Jax, and Liu destroy him. He goes pretty even with Reptile, Sub, Cage, Baraka and Raiden (the lowest tier players).
With Scorp how so? Excluding Liu (well aware of why he bodied scorpion) If I remember (been years) jax and mileena had a game plan that scorpion could shut down due to his teleport (namely air sai for example).

Last edited:

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Though for the most part in this game it's top 4 then everyone else which don't matter much. At least that's how it was around the time I really stopped playing

dubson

Noob
Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Scorpion is one of the worst counters to them, at least.

He definitely is not one of the worst against them.

dubson

Noob
Though for the most part in this game it's top 4 then everyone else which don't matter much. At least that's how it was around the time I really stopped playing
I wouldn't say that it is that "black and white", as you described...

and it's top 3. No Top 4.

Kitana included I see no other character being in a tier with Liu, Jax and Mileena.

Shang and Kung can hold their own just fine against Kitana, as well as low tier characters including Reptile, who can actually fight her better than many know.

Last edited:

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I was being half serious. I just know that getting touched by anyone in that game, especially Kitana near a corner, puts you in a hurt locker :p

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
With Scorp how so? Excluding Liu (well aware of why he bodied scorpion) If I remember (been years) jax and mileena had a game plan that scorpion could shut down due to his teleport (namely air sai for example).
Caldwell and I are the 2 best MK2 players, so if we say Mileena and Jax destroy Scorpion, there's probably something to that ;)

Mileena beats Scorpion close up especially. In a corner it's game over.
It's hard to aaRH her because she can jump forward looking like she's going to jump kick, but instead throw Air Sai. Telepunching her out of Sai takes quick reflexes and an elite Mileena won't give you many opportunities. Caldwell has the best Scorpion around. We once did 20 matches- 10 each with Mil and 10 with Scorp. He beat my Scorp 9-1 with Mil, then I beat his Scorp 9-1 with Mil. She owns Scorp.

Jax is a tank. In a good connection where Jax can actually move, Scorp can't do shit to him. All blocked Telepunches eat a JK/Backbreaker from Jax. Spears are useless- Jax can Ground Pound under or duck under the Spear and quickly GP.
The Air Throw is risky because Jax has the Backbreaker that he can land. If Jax golden punches, there's just about nothing Scorpion can do.

I hope that explained it for you :) Remember too you can search the individual character match-ups in the MK2 section on here. I've written detailed strategies, and explained the dynamics, for most matches in the game.

dubson

Noob
Watch it, going overboard here...
lmfao

1- Don't speak for Mike

2- Quit tooting your own horn

3 - Mike is one of the best , You are not. You are above average, though! Plus, being one of the best these days doesn't account for much! Nothing like OG days when you were Garbage or, heck, even the Arcade days? lmao

Sorry Pal!

Vegeta, Jason thinks his words are set in stone, thinks he is one of the best, he is stubborn, salty that he got good in a game well past its prime, and thinks he knows everything about MK2 15+ years after it came out, you will have to forgive someone as naive as him.

Also, I looooove how on your matches posted on YouTube that you state there is no lag and perfect connections, like with Scorpangel. Dude, anyone watching it can tell it was a huge lag fest!

Ray Charles could see how full of shit and yourself you are!

lmao, I'm sorry, I can't take this guy. He brought this on himself….

Last edited: