What's new

MK9. Let's Keep The Hype Alive.

Will you continue to play and support Mortal Kombat 9 until it's sequel arrives?

• Yes

Votes: 96 83.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 16.5%

• Total voters

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I miss old TYM, when it was full of MK, especially when this site was MortalKombatEmpires.com, when there were just some mk9 trailers and magazine scans, mk9 was so hype :(. don't get me wrong, i still think injustice is better than mk9, but coming back to TYM and seeing this site full of injustice is probaly one of the biggest "wtf" moments in my life :oops:.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Played both tonight.

Started with MK, though. Heh.
I played MK for the first time in like two weeks last night. And yeah, I still FUCKING LOVE that game. Some of the coolest people I've met, I've met because of MK and TYM. I can't make tourneys as much as I'd like to, and thus my support of the game offline leaves much to be desired. But I will always continue to support streams and hype the game up every chance I get.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's a losing battle man. I love MK and i'll support it to death, but this site doesnt care anymore.
I've pretty much decided to stop posting on here because any time i say anything like this i get a bunch of shit for it, so there's really no reason to care. If you're not a mindless sheep you're a wolf, and wolves are hunted. that's the way this shitty site works. Maybe mk players should go to a different site like trmk or something, maybe then we'd be able to discuss the game the freaking site is named after. idk though. By now i;m pretty disillusioned with the community other than a select group of tournament players that i consider to be my friends.
How about you actually discuss the game then, instead of bashing something you don't like whenever you do post? No one here is stopping you. I'm certainly not. No mod here (that I'm aware of) is stopping you.

This is a site dedicated to NRS/Midway games in general, whether they're MK games or not. Injustice may be the new kid, but we are still hyping up MK9 whenever there's a reason to, much like we did in the past.

You get a bunch of shit because you are not actually talking about MK9 when you come here, even though that's the game you "love". You're just here to bash another game.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
This is a site dedicated to NRS/Midway games in general, whether they're MK games or not. Injustice may be the new kid, but we are still hyping up MK9 whenever there's a reason to, much like we did in the past.

i agree with what u said how no one is stopping anyone from posting about/discussing MK9 (im about to post some baraka stuff for example) but to be fair i dont agree with the part i quoted there.
this was a MK site before the drop of IGAU, not a NRS/midway site, were all the pinball games section or the section with any other game they made that wasnt mk/igau?
dont get me wrong i like injustice but lets call a spade a spade...

How about you actually discuss the game then, instead of bashing something you don't like whenever you do post? No one here is stopping you. I'm certainly not. No mod here (that I'm aware of) is stopping you.

this was a MK site before the drop of IGAU, not a NRS/midway site, were all the pinball games section or the section with any other game they made that wasnt mk/igau?
Yeah where the Arkham City section of the site?

I was also going to respond to the top bit, but not worth it. I just use this site to figure out when tournaments are at this point.
Idk if you've noticed, but i havent said anything about injustice in a bit, and the point i was making in that post is any time i have tried to keep mk alive i got shit for it.
There's no use in talking about mk9 here. it's not an mk site anymore, noone here cares anymore. very few people who liked vagrant's post are actually going to sign up for mk in tournaments or even defend that mk should still be run at tournaments (i sent quite a few messages to local TOs to keep it in dfw. thanks also to Zoidberg747 and a bunch of randoms, but this is not something that's happening nationally. in general i see areas dropping mk for injustice, and it's disheartening, but it is what it is).

anyway, i'm done here, it's too early for me to be pissed off at this shitty site. 1man3letters, you want to play some mk later?

THTB

i agree with what u said how no one is stopping anyone from posting about/discussing MK9 (im about to post some baraka stuff for example) but to be fair i dont agree with the part i quoted there.
dont get me wrong i like injustice but lets call a spade a spade...
Pinball...? What in the...

The focus of this site is NRS/Midway fighters, to be more clear. What other fighting games besides MK has NRS/Midway done?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator

The focus of this site is NRS/Midway fighters, to be more clear. What other fighting games besides MK has NRS/Midway done?

yea u said it was a nrs/midway site and midway put there name to alot of pinballs machines,well most under the bally name.
i knew u meant fg's, was just taking the piss a bit.
but if were talking about midway fgs then, were's the biofreaks forum? :joker:

In alphabetical order:
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Discs of Tron
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
joust/joust2
Killer Instinct/KI2
Primal Rage
Ready 2 Rumble boxing/Ready 2 rumble boxing: round 2
War Gods
WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game

You're really telling me that y'all are going to make forums for all of these on this site? If so then by all means. If not, then i dont want to hear any more bs about how this wasnt an MK site before. Injustice should be grouped under "other fighters" like tekken and MLP: fighting is magic

THTB

In alphabetical order:
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Discs of Tron
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
joust/joust2
Killer Instinct/KI2
Primal Rage
Ready 2 Rumble boxing/Ready 2 rumble boxing: round 2
War Gods
WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game

You're really telling me that y'all are going to make forums for all of these on this site? If so then by all means. If not, then i dont want to hear any more bs about how this wasnt an MK site before. Injustice should be grouped under "other fighters" like tekken and MLP: fighting is magic
Atari did Primal Rage.

Rare did KI.

Did you seriously pull out Billy and Mandy? Lol.

Joust and Joust 2 are not fighting games. Neither is Discs of Tron.

I'll give you the other 4, but really, did anyone even play those competitively, aside from Wrestlemania? I don't even really think so.

And no, Injustice shouldn't be grouped under Other Fighters, considering it is a pretty major NRS fighting game release. Which is what this site is.

Atari did Primal Rage.

Rare did KI.

Did you seriously pull out Billy and Mandy? Lol.

Joust and Joust 2 are not fighting games. Neither is Discs of Tron.

I'll give you the other 4, but really, did anyone even play those competitively, aside from Wrestlemania? I don't even really think so.

And no, Injustice shouldn't be grouped under Other Fighters, considering it is a pretty major NRS fighting game release. Which is what this site is.
The top two were licensed by midway. Still counts.
Hell yeah i pulled billy and mandy, lol
i'll give you joust, but tron discs are basically injustice interactables. and you have your shield and.. there's tech in that game, lol
Ready2rumble: rd2 was godlike. my shaq, michael jackson, and booker brown took it to people back in the day.

Here's my challenge to you, then: If this is an NRS site, then name even one other NRS game with "Test Your Might"

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I don't know... it isn't video game related... but my sister is still in High School. For her AP (Advanced Placement) art class she needs to draw out 80 10 minute sketches for the summer. (It is supposed to be one 10 minute sketch a day). She also needs to do 100 inspiring sketches (these are more like doodles than anything... but she is really good at art. So her doodles look sick). I convinced her to draw out the entire MK roster from Armageddon (which is pretty much every MK character). She needs practice drawing people. She is super good at animals and objects... pretty much everything but people (even then her people aren't horrible). I mean she is unbelievably good at drawing. Anyways... it will definitely hype me up for MK. I cant wait to see what she can pull of. I am still watching MK tournaments and I still intend to play the game. I will buy MK10 day 1. Consider it pre-ordered once it is announced. :p

THTB

The top two were licensed by midway. Still counts.
Hell yeah i pulled billy and mandy, lol
i'll give you joust, but tron discs are basically injustice interactables. and you have your shield and.. there's tech in that game, lol
Ready2rumble: rd2 was godlike. my shaq, michael jackson, and booker brown took it to people back in the day.

Here's my challenge to you, then: If this is an NRS site, then name even one other NRS game with "Test Your Might"
Licensed by Midway???? Atari published the arcade release of Primal Rage and Time Warner covered the home.

And no other NRS game has that. Your point?

I don't see why you are even bothered by this site not being a strictly MK site. It's not like we told you "stop talking about MK". Like I said, you're free to do so. In fact, it's encouraged.

Here's my question to you: Injustice aside, why do you think MK9 has had very little actual discussion for the past 9-12 months? I mean tech talk and shit like that. Because LBSH, Injustice has had nothing to do with that up until recent months.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Done with MK9, though I still consider it my favorite fighting game of all time. First off, I only play online. And the online community and lag just make it absolutely pointless to play at this point. If NR didn't drop the ball so f*cking hard on the netcode, there would probably still be a healthy amount of people still playing.

Another, and much smaller reason, is that I have not played a back to block game longer than one session with some friends since I was about 12(25 now). It took me a while to get used to it with Injustice, and playing MK9 too would really mess me up. I know some people are capable of transitioning with no issues with the controls, but I am not one. I still find myself going for R2 to block in Injustice.

This site will be all MK'd out once again whenever they give us a new game. The Injustice focus right now is nice. MK9 ran its course, and unfortunately the only way it can still live is through local scenes, major tourneys, and at home playing locally...thanks Netherrealm studios for making such a great game be one of the worst fighting games ever to play online! Oh yeah, and thanks for not making it mandatory for people to DL the damn capatability packs, would've been nice to play my main Kenshi whenever I wanted to.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Oh man Biofreaks.

That game was TERRIBLE, but I had a lot of fun with the guy who had like a helecopter thing on his back and flamethrowers for arms.
That guy should have been the guest character for Injustice.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Here's my question to you: Injustice aside, why do you think MK9 has had very little actual discussion for the past 9-12 months? I mean tech talk and shit like that. Because LBSH, Injustice has had nothing to do with that up until recent months.
I obviously speculate it has to do with the fact that there isn't much left to talk about. The game is outdated whether or not we like to believe it. Don't get me wrong. MK is literally my favorite franchise. I love it more than anyone can know. I was never disappointed with an MK game. Never. I mean I am one of the only people to like Armageddon or MK vs. DC. That is dedication. :p

This will undoubtedly feel like an MK website once we get hyped for MK10. I mean I personally cant wait. I feel as if it has already been revealed. Sadly everyone clings to the next best thing. Currently that is Injustice. There is nothing wrong with it... but it is a little disheartening. I don't think MK9 is dead yet. It has little room to grow though. Its hype is effectively attenuated by Injustice... but I will always stand by it. :D

Licensed by Midway???? Atari published the arcade release of Primal Rage and Time Warner covered the home.

And no other NRS game has that. Your point?

I don't see why you are even bothered by this site not being a strictly MK site. It's not like we told you "stop talking about MK". Like I said, you're free to do so. In fact, it's encouraged.

i dont think the decline was 9-12 months ago. I think the real decline started in march with the release of the injustice demo (lol reo's demo tier list). Before then there was a slight decrease, but mostly because people assumed they knew everything about the game, and then people like PL and Forever King put up stuff they had been testing out (that they use in tournament now), and people were like holy shit maybe we were wrong, but surely this is the last thing to be learned about the game. What people dont realize is that we've gone about 25-30% into the depth of MK9, and that's probably it. If you watch international players use the same characters they look like they're playing a completely different game. One prime example is when Madzin showed up and showed us that noob saibot is tournament viable in the right hands because he was using the character completely differently than what we thought him capable and what we thought was "good" and "bad" about him.
Also the difference between what Eric Warda did with Kabal at nec (casuals) to what people do now is massive. If people integrated elements of what he does he might be an even better character O_O
you saw it constantly until injustice. Anyone who hit the lab with an open mind found new tech. I still do, but i dont post it anymore because when i do noone cares, so instead i just discuss it privately with people that i know do care. That has nothing to do with time, it has everything to do with not letting honeymoon euphoria take over your rationality (and this to continue doing what you generally enjoy even in the wake of something new).
I've only really been in the scene for a year, but for a long while i saw a lot of growth and a lot of new tech. I saw jax being a top character, reo's conquering of the community, the return of brady, cyrax won a major :O, Dizzy won a major over KENSHI, the general fall of kenshi, sonicfox showing mileena can put in work, the rise of pimpimjim's Sektor, etc. AND THOSE WERE JUST IN THE US. The more we play the more the game evolves because different people have different playstyles, find different tech, etc.
Also, i know for a fact that some people are saving some tech for bigger tournaments. For example Pl has indicated to me that he's holding out for evo, and i have a bunch of tech i'm saving for vxg (it's the reason i went all kitana at UFGT).