What's new

MK HD Arcade Kollection

Vanilla SSF2T tournaments still happen at just about every tournament I go to, and depending upon what happens with these games, UMK3 might still be as well.
Right, if they change the gameplay or something UMK3 will def still be played. There's really not that much you can do to UMK3 that will improve it, other than little things that are character specific. Can't really see how you would fix the def jabs while still leaving in kara jabs. All I'm hoping is that they "renew/upgrade" the graphics and leave the gameplay alone. As far as MK1 and MK2, idgaf what they do gameplay wise with them.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Right, if they change the gameplay or something UMK3 will def still be played. There's really not that much you can do to UMK3 that will improve it, other than little things that are character specific. Can't really see how you would fix the def jabs while still leaving in kara jabs. All I'm hoping is that they "renew/upgrade" the graphics and leave the gameplay alone. As far as MK1 and MK2, idgaf what they do gameplay wise with them.
which makes me wonder why they are calling this an arcade compilation. It should be called MK HD Remixes or something of the sort

don't wanna offend anyone from srk but UMK3 is the most realistic game from the 90's...what are they comparing it to? SF2 which looks like some kid messed around with a pencil???
MK looks real compared to SF and SF games from the 90's (especially Alpha and beyond) animate a lot better. It's not to say either one is better for it, it's just a fact.

I don't think he meant people think SF2 looks more realistic, but a lot of new players are held up by the perceived stiffness and animation in the engine.

People who play UMK3 realize pretty quickly that it's still an amazing game, and it actually plays really smooth. But it's really hard to sell a game with a dated look to younger and newer players.

As for this compilation, I'm just thinking there's no way it's coming out as soon as they've leaked. I think the reason it's been pulled is because it's not finished.

Another reason for that is that a demo being released 5+ months in advance is ridiculous.

I think it's more likely that this comes out in Feb/March, just before MK9 comes out in the spring. The Nov. 9th date was possibly official back when they thought they could get MK9 out by Xmas or shortly after.

As far as MK1 and MK2, idgaf what they do gameplay wise with them.
lol, they could start by adding a run button.

MK looks real compared to SF and SF games from the 90's (especially Alpha and beyond) animate a lot better.
Taking digital pics per frame and modifying them versus drawing each frame by hand. The latter was obviously more labour intensive; MK originally was a quick project after all unlike SFII. Incidentally, MK1 was the least modified out of the 3 and looked the more realistic.

Anyway, releasing a demo very early isn't uncommon. Last year's GOW collection had the E3 GOW3 demo, and Capcom released the Lost Planet 2 demo on XBL a year before release (and 9 months early on PSN).

MK looks real compared to SF and SF games from the 90's (especially Alpha and beyond) animate a lot better.
Taking digital pics per frame and modifying them versus drawing each frame by hand. The latter was obviously more labour intensive; MK originally was a quick project after all unlike SFII. Incidentally, MK1 was the least modified out of the 3 and looked the more realistic.
I think you're quoting me out of context there, because what I was saying wasn't in relation to how labor intensive the development of the game was.

I was responding to someone else who mentioned the difference in quality of graphics between SFII and MK.

I think you're quoting me out of context there, because what I was saying wasn't in relation to how labor intensive the development of the game was.

I was responding to someone else who mentioned the difference in quality of graphics between SFII and MK.
I know and not putting any words in your mouth. That was just me elaborating further on the differences :) The general point is, the comparison is moot since we're literally talking pics vs drawings here, unlike today where everything is polygonal. MK isn't viewed in a positive light in that respect either, and frankly, I think comparatively, MKII and UMK3 are better animated for what they were.

Some of it seems pretty questionable to me (almost all of it, but I am willing to fool myself) and I am just hoping to see some kind confirmation. I couldn't care less about MK9 if this is actually going to happen but I'll still try it.
I'd actually settle for a bare bones ported compilation of the original games. It's hard to believe that we haven't seen any 100% faithful versions, but here we are.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Aside from MK1 in some respect, there is no reason to make another release for these games as is. If somehow they are only upscaling the graphics and or making it fit a widescreen environment, it would really be insulting. They could take renders of the characters and tweak everything to fit exactly but the problem is, once they step out of the old hardware, and step into a realm of porting or recreating the old system, it's virtually impossible for them to do things right.

Didn't you mention that UMK3 on 360 isn't 100% faithful with some input lag? MKII on PS3 isn't perfect either. So technically if the old games were merely ported, not emulated, as they are to a tee with decent net code, I'd take it. It doesn't have to be true widescreen either, since even SSFIIT HDR is technically stretched and looks best at 3:4 (according to the guys who are behind all those game analysis out of B3D)

I'd pay $30 for untouched versions, but $40... nah.

Even with an HD overhaul, keeping the old sprites as an option would be beneficial in case there are any differences in hitboxes.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Hopefully an official HD announcement? At least I am going to call it that so I can stop thinking about it for a while.

http://www.themortalkombat.com/

lmao i starting thinking the same thing too last night. i stayed up an extra hour to see that too. of course after working a midnight release then having to open this morning, with of course getting 3 kids ready for school in the morning. PLUS i get to close tonight because we had a call off. fml

but here is to hoping, zaq *clanks beer bottles*

AC1984

Kaballin!
So many different points of view,ideas and suggestions...After the bullshit with the new website countdown yesterday I am starting to convince my self that the whole HD thing is just a rumor.

Noob
Just some food for thought. When you click "Witness mayhem in the trailers" it takes you to the WB Games Mortal Kombat youtube channel. Maybe this is just coincidence, but the ONLY uploaded trailers for MK9 are the Shadows trailer and the HD trailer. The other 5 uploads are:

1. MKast for MK9
2. Fatality Friday - voted on at Twitter - MK3/UMK3 Sheeva skin rip fatality
3. Fatality Friday - voted on at Twitter - MK3/UMK3 Sektor compactor fatality
4. Fatality Friday - voted on at Twitter - MK2 Kung Lao banana peel fatality
5. Fatality Friday - voted on at Twitter - MK1 Sub-Zero head pull fatality

Possibly coincidence, but aside from the "mayhem" in the 2 minor MK9 trailers, the only real Mayhem we see is all from the Klassic Mortal Kombat games. Perhaps not so much of a coincidence?

That looks like it's just a placeholder item on the site.

I don't think that date would be very accurate.

But interesting find.

Just in case anyone forgot.... we are now less than 24 hours until that countdown on the website ends...

I'm excited to see what it might be.

Even if it's just the opening of the website, that's still positive. It means we're hopefully going to get a more steady stream of info.

I expect the HD game to be part of the promotional push for the new game, so we may have to wait till closer to the release.