What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

SRP

Noob
No, it never says "stop console gaming". You have options. You're free to buy a wii U or PS4 if you prefer their business model. You chose to buy a house that doesn't have internet access there are going to be limitations to that choice. I live in a pretty rural state, one of my considerations when I bought my condo was location and internet access. To me internet access was equally as important as what type of heating system the house was built with. There is a good chance you will be technologically left behind, that's no different than the Amish in Pennsylvania choosing not to use electricity and technology.
I do plan on buying a PS4. However when I bought the house the local phone provider assured me internet would be available within 12 months at my location, that was 2 years ago. This article believes that always online is the wave of the future, and I don't believe it is at least in the format they believe.

SRP

Noob
You are relating gaming/technology to a necessity and not a hobby/option... Food, water and shelter are necessities, gaming, technology and internet are not.

edit: excuse me deathblooms2k4 I meant to respond to SRP post and not yours..
Actually internet could be considered a necessity today. Businesses are doing more WFH positions than before. I actually have a WFH position, but travel into a actual building most times, unless I decide to go work somewhere with wifi. If internet is not a necessity why are they trying to get high speed internet into all schools or homes with kids?... oh wait that's right cause the internet allows for faster research and a broader cross reference than going to only 1 library. Internet access is necessary to compete in todays market.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I understand this... and it is fine... however people are overlooking one HUGE issue... and that is the push to the future of gaming with the integration of digital media..Sony is saying- go to GameStop or WHERE EVER and buy a used game, and put it into the system like this.. WE FULLY SUPPORT THE SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN IN PLAY...Trade, sell, do as you please! Fine.. but what happens when behind the scenes Sony leaves it up to publishers to make the decision and publishers say "yeahhhhh.... no... it will be done OUR way" and the Sony market ends up closer to Microsoft than the video you posted...Sony throws their hands up in the air and says "our support is still there... please see our fall guy" *Sony points to publishers* to get the heat off their back.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Actually internet could be considered a necessity today. Businesses are doing more WFH positions than before. I actually have a WFH position, but travel into a actual building most times, unless I decide to go work somewhere with wifi. If internet is not a necessity why are they trying to get high speed internet into all schools or homes with kids?... oh wait that's right cause the internet allows for faster research and a broader cross reference than going to only 1 library. Internet access is necessary to compete in todays market.
..............................................If modern society as we know it today were to crumble and fall..... the human species will be able to exist without the internet... Not without Food, Water and Shelter... Please do not confuse convenience with necessity

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I understand this... and it is fine... however people are overlooking one HUGE issue... and that is the push to the future of gaming with the integration of digital media..Sony is saying- go to GameStop or WHERE EVER and buy a used game, and put it into the system like this.. WE FULLY SUPPORT THE SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN IN PLAY...Trade, sell, do as you please! Fine.. but what happens when behind the scenes Sony leaves it up to publishers to make the decision and publishers say "yeahhhhh.... no... it will be done OUR way" and the Sony market ends up closer to Microsoft than the video you posted...Sony throws their hands up in the air and says "our support is still there... please see our fall guy" *Sony points to publishers* to get the heat off their back.

Are you trolling here?

Publishers can't ban you from selling your games to anyone with the PS4.

Sonys DRM policy is exactly the same as the 360s.

SRP

Noob
..............................................If modern society as we know it today were to crumble and fall..... the human species will be able to exist without the internet... Not without Food, Water and Shelter... Please do not confuse convenience with necessity
If current society were to fall this whole discussion would be null and void, but given the society we live in today and the way marketplaces and businesses are run, internet is necessary.

JaredL

No trolling at all

Then you don't understand how it works. When sony say they are leaving DRM to the publisher, that just means... how it is for the 360 now. Remember in MK9 how you were forced to buy an online pass to play online if you didn't but new? That's a form of DRm.

The difference is, that PS4 games won't be able to be 'banned' from used games like you can with the xbox one. With the PS4, publishers won't be able to set fees. With the PS4, you can trade and sell wherever you like. Ebay? Its cool. Garage sale? Its cool. Not with the xbox one.

That's what's going on.

but what happens when behind the scenes Sony leaves it up to publishers to make the decision and publishers say "yeahhhhh.... no... it will be done OUR way" and the Sony market ends up closer to Microsoft than the video you posted...Sony throws their hands up in the air and says "our support is still there... please see our fall guy" *Sony points to publishers* to get the heat off their back.
Dude, you're so stupid, it's not even funny anymore.

The publishers can do what they want. It has NOTHING to do with Sony.
Greedy publishers like EA and Activision already came up with online passes. If you want the full "gaming experience" you better not buy the game used, or if you buy it used, you won't have acces to either multiplayer or exclusive content.

But now we're talking about some kind of DRM. Currently there is not even a single console games publisher, who DARES to come up with cd-keys for their games. That's what DRM would be. NO ONE dares to do that, even though it has been the norm for PC gaming for years now. It's not for console games.
Microsoft is trying to enforce that DRM practice onto the customer. Sony is doing the smart thing and is not trying to do so. They say that their games won't have DRM and what that means is that they would never come up with cd-keys for games, which are published by Sony / exclusive to the PS4.

When they say that the publishers can do what they want, they mean it. EA and Activision can try to come up with cd-keys (DRM) for PS4 / X-Box One versions of their games. It doesn't matter for which platform, their games will get boycotted big time.
Sony knows it. The publishers know it. Microsoft probably know it, but believe that they're enough tools out there who won't bother about such bad business practices, so they go for it and unfortunately they probably will make their money.
I just hope that the difference between the PS4 and the X-Box One will be so dramatic and huge on a monthly basis, that Microsoft will ask the most obvious question: "Why did we do such a stupid thing?"

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Dude, you're so stupid, it's not even funny anymore.

The publishers can do what they want. It has NOTHING to do with Sony.
Greedy publishers like EA and Activision already came up with online passes. If you want the full "gaming experience" you better not buy the game used, or if you buy it used, you won't have acces to either multiplayer or exclusive content.

But now we're talking about some kind of DRM. Currently there is not even a single console games publisher, who DARES to come up with cd-keys for their games. That's what DRM would be. NO ONE dares to do that, even though it has been the norm for PC gaming for years now. It's not for console games.
Microsoft is trying to enforce that DRM practice onto the customer. Sony is doing the smart thing and is not trying to do so. They say that their games won't have DRM and what that means is that they would never come up with cd-keys for games, which are published by Sony / exclusive to the PS4.

When they say that the publishers can do what they want, they mean it. EA and Activision can try to come up with cd-keys (DRM) for PS4 / X-Box One versions of their games. It doesn't matter for which platform, their games will get boycotted big time.
Sony knows it. The publishers know it. Microsoft probably know it, but believe that they're enough tools out there who won't bother about such bad business practices, so they go for it and unfortunately they probably will make their money.
I just hope that the difference between the PS4 and the X-Box One will be so dramatic and huge on a monthly basis, that Microsoft will ask the most obvious question: "Why did we do such a stupid thing?"
So with Microsoft trying to usher in an era of Steam/Steam-like (which has proven a success) to consoles, and Sony is staying static.. I guess one could say- dont hate the player, hate the game... How can you launch a statement such as "NO ONE dares to do that,even though it has been the norm for PC gaming for years now. It's not for console games."? It is a generally accepted logic that PC gaming is greater than console gaming in every way (except for ease of use/navigation and cost to upgrade to stay current) which is why console is such an appealing alternative. For Microsoft wanting to raise the bar and bring the PC model to consoles... I fail to see fault in the logic of making the successful- accessible.

JaredL

So with Microsoft trying to usher in an era of Steam/Steam-like (which has proven a success) to consoles, and Sony is staying static.. I guess one could say- dont hate the player, hate the game... How can you launch a statement such as "NO ONE dares to do that,even though it has been the norm for PC gaming for years now. It's not for console games."? It is a generally accepted logic that PC gaming is greater than console gaming in every way (except for ease of use/navigation and cost to upgrade to stay current) which is why console is such an appealing alternative. For Microsoft wanting to raise the bar and bring the PC model to consoles... I fail to see fault in the logic of making the successful- accessible.

All the negatives of steam and PC. None of the benefits...

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
As viewed by yourself and many others with your closed minded opinions...
What if Microsoft is successful in bringing the Steam atmosphere to Consoles and it bridges the gaping gap? Steam has no benefits to us the gamers and to developers/ console makers at all?

JaredL

As viewed by yourself and many others with your closed minded opinions...
What if Microsoft is successful in bringing the Steam atmosphere to Consoles and it bridges the gaping gap? Steam has no benefits to us the gamers and to developers/ console makers at all?

Steam has benefits because:

You can store your shit on an account and download it anywhere. I download shit on my laptop that I bought for my PC.
It has steam sales.
Modding.
Upgrades.

Steam however, is not perfect. With steam you don't own your games and can lose them. And you can't play offline unless you go to offline mode, which is much much much better than what xbox have for 'offline mode'.

Now, what benefits does microsoft have of steam? None of them.

You can't upgrade your xbox. Hardware is set.
You can't mod it either. Can't use developer tools in skyrim to make a more enjoyable experience.

So... I get the negatives of steam, such as a lack of offline capability, although much much worse and I don't own my games and can't resell them.

And I get what? What do I get?

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
It doesn't matter for which platform, their games will get boycotted big time.
Please show me evidence of a "big-time" game boycott that actually produced results.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/12/why-they-dont-take-boycotts-seriously/

Also:
Starcraft 2 LAN boycott
Diablo III always online boycott
Mass Effect 3 day 1 DLC boycott

This will be different though, because M$ (the $ shows that they are greedy, unlike Good Papa Sony) is like a tyrant or a dictator, and gamers will ride this wave of populism and overthrow the legacy of evil Mr. Gates and return gaming back to the time when we were all kids and we had lower standards.

Sheesh.

JaredL

Please show me evidence of a "big-time" game boycott that actually produced results.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/12/why-they-dont-take-boycotts-seriously/

Also:
Starcraft 2 LAN boycott
Diablo III always online boycott
Mass Effect 3 day 1 DLC boycott

This will be different though, because M$ (the $ shows that they are greedy, unlike Good Papa Sony) is like a tyrant or a dictator, and gamers will ride this wave of populism and overthrow the legacy of evil Mr. Gates and return gaming back to the time when we were all kids and we had lower standards.

Sheesh.

All those games didn't have a 'DRM' free version you could buy. So, I understand how their boycott can fail. When it comes to boycotting the Xbox one? Oh that will work very easily. What do you do if you don't want the xbox one? You buy a PS4 of course. No DRM and you get a better console to boot.

And cheaper.

And no privacy issues.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
How old are you?

I'm not asking to try and slam you or anything, it is just with comments like the one you just made you kind of exude a young cat bravado that says "even though there hasn't been a chance or opportunity to prove this business model can work for console gaming, it will fail because it has never been done here."

Something has to be tried first before it can be deemed a falilure, and without failure there can be no growth. Seeing how the model beng proposed by MS has worked for PC gaming, the Music Industry, Books, Movies, and other digital media (Comics), I think Console gaming has a shot as well.

xWEBSx, I'm really tired of you, especially because I don't even understand what your goal is. What is it that you want? Do you want to convince everyone you come across to buy a X-Box One, or at least stop hating on it? Are you trying to figure out why people hate the X-Box One and everything it stands for and argue for the sake of argueing about the entire topic?

I really don't get it. All I see is a pesky fanboy, who is blinded by ... I don't even know what.
There are sooo many points, which speak against a X-Box One as the best choice for your main next gen console, yet here we have you talking about innovation, future oriented goals, open-minded approaches to the real next generation of gaming, higher set bars and so on ... I could (and partially have) deconstruct every single of your arguments, but you just wouldn't stop.

You are behaving like a mindless drone and I pity your for that. But in the end of the day it's still your decision. If you consider yourself a smart person, then please - be my guest and buy a X-Box One. I hope that you will find your innovation, I really do.
But me, myself and I - as well a bunch of other people who don't believe in that so called "innovation" are not going to buy the console.
Since there is no cross platforming we will never meet and that's a good thing.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Steam has benefits because:

You can store your shit on an account and download it anywhere. I download shit on my laptop that I bought for my PC.
It has steam sales.
Modding.
Upgrades.

Steam however, is not perfect. With steam you don't own your games and can lose them. And you can't play offline unless you go to offline mode, which is much much much better than what xbox have for 'offline mode'.

Now, what benefits does microsoft have of steam? None of them.

You can't upgrade your xbox. Hardware is set.
You can't mod it either. Can't use developer tools in skyrim to make a more enjoyable experience.

So... I get the negatives of steam, such as a lack of offline capability, although much much worse and I don't own my games and can't resell them.

And I get what? What do I get?
Again.. you are thinking INSIDE the box here Jared... Microsoft is bidding you to think OUTSIDE the box.. you cannot play both sides of the fence here.. you cannot say that there are benefits to Steam and then speak to Microsofts vision and call "bluff".. Your vision is narrow and very self serving to fulfill YOUR beliefs and opinions... You are failing to realize that if Microsoft is successful with its XB1 vision.. and is able to bridge the gap, that it will reap the benefits of Steam while remaining in the ease of use console format.

While you are correct in being unable to upgrade current Xbox and hardware is set , (this will be the first generation, if successful of course) of where Steam gets mainlined into consoles (that would put Sony a generation behind come the next round), and you also have a valid point about modding (to our current understanding an knowledge)... the article posted earlier in regards to the XB1 said that this is currently just the release day objective and that in the future (now hold onto your hat Jared) 2 yrs plus down the line of the XB1 life-span that they are not ruling out the full Steam-like approach to the XB1 system... That gives me great joy as a gamer...My overall reservation is if MS has the ability to pull this type of vision off in 2013 (which I am really pulling for).

JaredL

How old are you?

I'm not asking to try and slam you or anything, it is just with comments like the one you just made you kind of exude a young cat bravado that says "even though there hasn't been a chance or opportunity to prove this business model can work for console gaming, it will fail because it has never been done here."

Something has to be tried first before it can be deemed a falilure, and without failure there can be no growth. Seeing how the model beng proposed by MS has worked for PC gaming, the Music Industry, Books, Movies, and other digital media (Comics), I think Console gaming has a shot as well.

Ok... I get that its 'progress'. But you know what, you better be careful that you don't progress off a fucking cliff.

The PS4 has better hardware, has better policies regarding used games and online DRM and is cheaper.

But you tell me that the xbox one has 'innovation'. Well, how is this fucking innovation better?

If the government 'innovates' a new giant rotating spiked dildo to torture me better with, should I be happy because it is 'innovative' and better than what's happening now? Not all change is good. And unless you can provide a fucking example of how this change is good, you're doing nothing but insisting that the future will be bright... despite it looking bleak.

xWEBSx, I'm really tired of you, especially because I don't even understand what your goal is. What is it that you want? Do you want to convince everyone you come across to buy a X-Box One, or at least stop hating on it? Are you trying to figure out why people hate the X-Box One and everything it stands for and argue for the sake of argueing about the entire topic?

I really don't get it. All I see is a pesky fanboy, who is blinded by ... I don't even know what.
There are sooo many points, which speak against a X-Box One as the best choice for your main next gen console, yet here we have you talking about innovation, future oriented goals, open-minded approaches to the real next generation of gaming, higher set bars and so on ... I could (and partially have) deconstruct every single of your arguments, but you just wouldn't stop.

You are behaving like a mindless drone and I pity your for that. But in the end of the day it's still your decision. If you consider yourself a smart person, then please - be my guest and by a X-Box One. I hope that you will find your innovation, I really do.
But me, myself and I - as well a bunch of other people who don't believe in that so called "innovation" are not going to buy the game. Since there is no cross platforming we will never meet and that's a good thing.

I think if you will read his original posts he was talking about being open minded to both consoles. But it appears some people (you) are so adamantly opposed to xboxone that you are forcing him into a defensive position for even just entertaining the idea of getting one.

What I don't understand is why you feel the name to belittle someone with petty name calling and an egotistical attitude. Why do you feel the need to nerdrage so hard about this and take it to somewhat of a personal level with people? He's voicing his opinion and is entitled to it, likewise with yourself.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

You are behaving like a mindless drone and I pity your for that. But in the end of the day it's still your decision. If you consider yourself a smart person, then please - be my guest and by a X-Box One. I hope that you will find your innovation, I really do.
But me, myself and I - as well a bunch of other people who don't believe in that so called "innovation" are not going to buy the game. Since there is no cross platforming we will never meet and that's a good thing.
I have a question for you... (and please note: this is after your two pre-emptive strikes about being tired of me and bringing a conversation to personal attack levels) are you old enough to buy an "M" rated game on your own?

JaredL

Again.. you are thinking INSIDE the box here Jared... Microsoft is bidding you to think OUTSIDE the box.. you cannot play both sides of the fence here.. you cannot say that there are benefits to Steam and then speak to Microsofts vision and call "bluff".. Your vision is narrow and very self serving to fulfill YOUR beliefs and opinions... You are failing to realize that if Microsoft is successful with its XB1 vision.. and is able to bridge the gap, that it will reap the benefits of Steam while remaining in the ease of use console format.

While you are correct in being unable to upgrade current Xbox and hardware is set , (this will be the first generation, if successful of course) of where Steam gets mainlined into consoles (that would put Sony a generation behind come the next round), and you also have a valid point about modding (to our current understanding an knowledge)... the article posted earlier in regards to the XB1 said that this is currently just the release day objective and that in the future (now hold onto your hat Jared) 2 yrs plus down the line of the XB1 life-span that they are not ruling out the full Steam-like approach to the XB1 system... That gives me great joy as a gamer...My overall reservation is if MS has the ability to pull this type of vision off in 2013 (which I am really pulling for).

Thinking inside the box?

You're placing blind faith here. Literally.

When faced with draconian policies, worse specs and a higher price you tell me that the xbox one is viable because of VISION and DOWN THE LINE.

You are putting your blind faith that this shit will somehow turn into gold.

JaredL

I think if you will read his original posts he was talking about being open minded to both consoles. But it appears some people (you) are so adamantly opposed to xboxone that you are forcing him into a defensive position for even just entertaining the idea of getting one.

What I don't understand is why you feel the name to belittle someone with petty name calling and an egotistical attitude. Why do you feel the need to nerdrage so hard about this and take it to somewhat of a personal level with people? He's voicing his opinion and is entitled to it, likewise with yourself.

Hes right to be adamantly opposed to the xbox one because it has no advantages over the PS4.

The only arguments in this thread for the xbox one are 'future' 'innovation' 'change' 'vision'. But nothing that actually affects me. If you are basing your argument on a future you cannot predict, and a future you cannot see, as opposed to the cold hard facts of reality, then you are quite the definition of a fanboy.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
All those games didn't have a 'DRM' free version you could buy. So, I understand how their boycott can fail. When it comes to boycotting the Xbox one? Oh that will work very easily. What do you do if you don't want the xbox one? You buy a PS4 of course. No DRM and you get a better console to boot.

And cheaper.

And no privacy issues.

You actually don't know if there will be any form of DRM or not, nor do you know if there will be "privacy issues". Publishers may require online authentication for their titles, they may require a secondary login... you really can't say at this point. You can HOPE for something to be the case, but when a publisher is faced with a lower ROI on one platform than the other, they may make decisions you won't care for.

Also, the "better console" thing is subjective. At this point, the XB1 looks like a better fit for families due to the Kinect support and media integration, while the PS4 appeals to core gamers. For my brother-in-law, the PS4 has more appeal, whereas the XB1 is a better deal for my parents (and probably me if I wasn't already a PC nerd).