What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Yeah columbus was a pioneer who wanted to find America and wasn't just some guy who wanted to go to india...
Lets talk history Jared..
He ran into "America" on accident while trying to get to India.. However in the day and age at which he sailed, India was considered a great risk because many believed the world truly was flat, and India was not worth the trip and possible loss of three ships and full crew- over what? Spices and gold? He was not the first nor last to sail or have the belief of a round world..

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Lets talk history Jared..
He ran into "America" on accident while trying to get to India.. However in the day and age at which he sailed, India was considered a great risk because many believed the world truly was flat, and India was not worth the trip and possible loss of three ships and full crew- over what? Spices and gold? He was not the first nor last to sail or have the belief of a round world..

Indeed. And the dream of India was a noble one. What is noble about telling me I can't lend me friend a game.

You keep saying its innovative... and progressive and... the future. But how do I benefit?

SRP

Noob
At the end of the day the overall perception of a companies decision can be seen in how the stockholders react. For example Microsoft is currently on a down trend the past few days since E3, while Sony has seen an increase in stock price. If Microsoft sees a BIG enough loss in its share then they will change policy. Right now it's nothing major, but to say it isn't related to the XBOX one would be folly. At the end of the day neither company cares about us, and will do what will get it the most money. Sony knows by doing the opposite of Xbox One will put them in a positive light with us the consumers.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
This thread.. I lost too many IQ points just reading. The fact that there's people actually defending xbone is blowing my mind. You'd have to be 7 kinds of idiot to willingly buy that thing <__>

There's 1 good thing about it so far though, the joy I'll get when they run KI3 at EVO and me just showing up behind the setups (or setup i guess? lol) and yell "XBOX OFF". If it gets on stream it probably wont be hard to get the crowd to yell it too lol.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
I have never had an issue with your stance/decision... Possibly because it is balanced and posted as an adult and not spouted as gospel of the all powerful, all loving, all knowledgeable SonyChrist..

To converse with you about Microsoft arrogance..
I can see where arrogance is viewed.. However isn't a pioneer who sticks to their guns to try an see their vision through an admirable thing? What if every company for ANY product changed on a whim and bent to consumers? We would be in a world of shit..sometimes a firm stance is needed.
There is a difference in confidence and arrogance though. The "deal with it" and "get with the times" is not confidence, it is arrogance. And Mattricks "Well, I'm sorry for you, but you'll have to have internet" is just off-puting. Though I realize it seems he's stuck in a damage control situation and has to stick to his guns, his poor word choice during interviews just make it seem like he's being an asshole.

It's one thing to say "Hey, we're doing this thing, you should come join us," and another to be like, "Hey, we're doing things our way, if you don't like it, too bad."

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
There is a difference in confidence and arrogance though. The "deal with it" and "get with the times" is not confidence, it is arrogance. And Mattricks "Well, I'm sorry for you, but you'll have to have internet" is just off-puting. Though I realize it seems he's stuck in a damage control situation and has to stick to his guns, his poor word choice during interviews just make it seem like he's being an asshole.

It's one thing to say "Hey, we're doing this thing, you should come join us," and another to be like, "Hey, we're doing things our way, if you don't like it, too bad."
One of the things I will be watching closely from Sony is 6-12 months after launch how smoothly their vision goes.. Are they sticking to their guns on used/sharing media? Are they following more closely to Microsofts practice as far as digital media and publishers/dev's have control? It interests me in a overall pulse of the market aspect..
If Sony ends up resembling close to what Microsoft is doing- More DRM based, digital media and publishers calling the shots on pre-owned games, selling and trading..
Will Sony owners call Sony out on bullshit? Or will they flame the publishers as the evil empire and march onward to put them out of jobs and threaten to take their business elsewhere (ie: banning/boycotting publishers)? Will be an interesting kick off to a new era of console warfare..

One thing I would like to point out is- for good or ill Microsoft laid all their laundry out on the line.. Many may not like it or find it in bad taste.. However Sony appears to be enjoying Microsoft taking the brunt of criticism while it sits back and simply piggy backs off of Microsofts "bad decisions"- "we don't do that", "we arnt like that" . Lets not forget we are 5-6 months out from launch.. The Microsoft sting will eventually lessen and fade...Is all of Sony's dirty laundry aired? Or is that coming out post launch? Let us not confuse Big Business with charity funds.. Apple, Microsoft, Sony... They are the same beast and money is their food.. At the expense of us- the customer.

One of the things I will be watching closely from Sony is 6-12 months after launch how smoothly their vision goes.. Are they sticking to their guns on used/sharing media? Are they following more closely to Microsofts practice as far as digital media and publishers/dev's have control? It interests me in a overall pulse of the market aspect..
If Sony ends up resembling close to what Microsoft is doing- More DRM based, digital media and publishers calling the shots on pre-owned games, selling and trading..
Will Sony owners call Sony out on bullshit? Or will they flame the publishers as the evil empire and march onward to put them out of jobs and threaten to take their business elsewhere (ie: banning/boycotting publishers)? Will be an interesting kick off to a new era of console warfare..

One thing I would like to point out is- for good or ill Microsoft laid all their laundry out on the line.. Many may not like it or find it in bad taste.. However Sony appears to be enjoying Microsoft taking the brunt of criticism while it sits back and simply piggy backs off of Microsofts "bad decisions"- "we don't do that", "we arnt like that" . Lets not forget we are 5-6 months out from launch.. The Microsoft sting will eventually lessen and fade...Is all of Sony's dirty laundry aired? Or is that coming out post launch? Let us not confuse Big Business with charity funds.. Apple, Microsoft, Sony... They are the same beast and money is their food.. At the expense of us- the customer.

Shush with your Ill found logic. You're an imbecile for not immediately disowning a product before trying it. And don't come at me with that logical big companies want to make money nonsense. We are talking sony here they are all roses and rainbows they just want to charitably provide gaming to all around the world. For god sakes the xbox is a laptop/computer! Would you spend money on a laptop or computer?! I mean so what that when I modded my 360 I found a Mobo, heatsink, CPU, GPU, DVD drive, RAM on a motherboard and that so happens to be pretty much identical to what I find in my PC. When I opened it up I was supposed to find a magical wizard who was constantly doing my bidding, not regular hardware running a proprietary OS.

JaredL

I see a lot of non answers about the future. Comparing this to netflix and smart phones. Unfortunately, console gaming is not netflix or smart phones.

And unless he says "being always online and using xbox gives you this benefit", I'm basically giving away my rights, buying an inferior console and taking a huge risk with my money.

I'd rather spend less, on a superior console, which respects my rights.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I see a lot of non answers about the future. Comparing this to netflix and smart phones. Unfortunately, console gaming is not netflix or smart phones.

And unless he says "being always online and using xbox gives you this benefit", I'm basically giving away my rights, buying an inferior console and taking a huge risk with my money.

I'd rather spend less, on a superior console, which respects my rights.
I'm inclined to believe you didn't even read the article.

This article foreshadows a steam like experience with xbox. As primarily a PC gamer I can see the benefit of this. Steam is a great conduit for F2P games, indie games and great sales on AAA titles (Paid 10$ for both Dues Ex and Borderlands 2). And with steam it's typical that if games do not sell well that you will see them marked down 75% in only a couple months time (though this is typically indicative of the quality of the game). Interestingly enough when steam was first developed there was similar outrage to xbox's announcement in that people were very upset with the premise of steam being a service you needed to connect to in order to play games (aka online DRM). This argument was valid but the pro's outweighed the cons for me. When I bought CoD4 I lost my disk and was SOL I had to go rebuy the game. With steam I can format my hard-drive, install steam on another computer, etc. and my entire library of games is always available to me. And the trick with steam to sell games is to create separate accounts if you plan on selling the game after playing it so instead of selling the game you sell the account that has the game on it.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
This article foreshadows a steam like experience with xbox. As primarily a PC gamer I can see the benefit of this. Steam is a great conduit for F2P games, indie games and great sales on AAA titles (Paid 10$ for both Dues Ex and Borderlands 2). And with steam it's typical that if games do not sell well that you will see them marked down 75% in only a couple months time (though this is typically indicative of the quality of the game). Interestingly enough when steam was first developed there was similar outrage to xbox's announcement in that people were very upset with the premise of steam being a service you needed to connect to in order to play games (aka online DRM). This argument was valid but the pro's outweighed the cons for me. When I bought CoD4 I lost my disk and was SOL I had to go rebuy the game. With steam I can format my hard-drive, install steam on another computer, etc. and my entire library of games is always available to me. And the trick with steam to sell games is to create separate accounts if you plan on selling the game after playing it so instead of selling the game you sell the account that has the game on it.
How do Borderlands and Deus Ex dev's and publishers make overhead in the steam format? Not being a prick.. Genuine curiosity because I got the same feeling from the article.

Edit: using your experience as the example of both those titles for $10..

The cost of digital distribution is much cheaper than producing physical media. And both publishers typically release games at full price or with pre-orders (that come with varying perks). The 10$ sale is more to make money off of the people who would never really pay full price for the game.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I did. Hes talking about the future and digital and 'potential models'. Potential ain't worth $500, DRM and an inferior console.
If potential is realized and comes to fruition- what is the proper price point on that?

Edit: on that note- is $400 a proper price point for the same stale "upgrade" of prettier graphics and faster run times?

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
The cost of digital distribution is much cheaper than producing physical media. And both publishers typically release games at full price or with pre-orders (that come with varying perks). The 10$ sale is more to make money off of the people who would never really pay full price for the game.
That is pretty simple... Wow.. Thanks.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I'm not putting my money into gambling.
But you are putting it on it a train that is on a track that is leading to a "bridge out ahead"... Ultimately a black hole.. At least in gambling there is a possibility of winning.

JaredL

But you are putting it on it a train that is on a track that is leading to a "bridge out ahead"... Ultimately a black hole.. At least in gambling there is a possibility or winning.

I know what I'm getting with the PS4.

With microsoft, the hardware is worse and I have less rights.

That's it. You are convinced that microsoft have some form of extra value but that value isn't obvious and MIGHT MAYBE come.

Basically this article says I should just stop console gaming, or sell my house and move cause without internet I will get left behind according to this guy, or I can just keep playing my xbox 360 as the other guy said in the other MS video.

No, it never says "stop console gaming". You have options. You're free to buy a wii U or PS4 if you prefer their business model. You chose to buy a house that doesn't have internet access there are going to be limitations to that choice. I live in a pretty rural state, one of my considerations when I bought my condo was location and internet access. To me internet access was equally as important as what type of heating system the house was built with. There is a good chance you will be technologically left behind, that's no different than the Amish in Pennsylvania choosing not to use electricity and technology.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
No, it never says "stop console gaming". You have options. You're free to buy a wii U or PS4 if you prefer their business model. You chose to buy a house that doesn't have internet access there are going to be limitations to that choice. I live in a pretty rural state, one of my considerations when I bought my condo was location and internet access. To me internet access was equally as important as what type of heating system the house was built with. There is a good chance you will be technologically left behind, that's no different than the Amish in Pennsylvania choosing not to use electricity and technology.
You are relating gaming/technology to a necessity and not a hobby/option... Food, water and shelter are necessities, gaming, technology and internet are not.

edit: excuse me deathblooms2k4 I meant to respond to SRP post and not yours..

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I wish TYM had a freinds list. Thank you for participating in this thread.