What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Liu Kang Dragon's Fire & Flame Fist General Discussion

Ayane

Noob
Also I agree with Sev now that I think about it. The zoning in DF is better imo as well (I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be the zoning variation anyway lol). Not only because of how fast all the fire balls are, and that bf1 is a mid. But since bf1 is chargeable/run cancellable. You can do things once they are in the mid range like bf[1] (see them jump) > FBRC>d2/ji3/whatever else you feel like doing.

I think I just need to dedicate a day or 2 to only playing FF so that I can see if the increased damage alone puts it on or above DF's level haha.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
So funnily enough I started playing FF Liu Kang I think two or three days before the patch? Needless to say I was psyched. I've been doing things like b12SFexDR/Parry
or f213 SF f213 WPcancel Parry/exDR
besides stuff like 113 to start combos when I make a read but I never use it on block. Anyother tips? My friends are having a hard time with it because not everyone knows how to deal with it but I know there are ways to deal with it and blow him up. What should I be doin to maximize my pressure and remain as safe as possible?
With the abundance of meter available in this variation I feel it's really easy to stay safe and use breakers and even x Ray combos for Unbreakable damage but I want my Kang to be solid fundamentally and would appreciate more tips!

Ayane

Noob
I played FF for 6 hours or so yesterday. Staying safe is pretty simple. The easiest way is to never use WP. If you want to make a guess with meter though than doing WP>EX DR can pay off. A lot of characters can just safely d3 your parry/EX db2. If they want to do that I believe you can just WP>bf2 and fly kick right over them and start zoning or call them out and WP>bf3 will blow them up unless they use armor. I think the best strat is to really just not use it for pressure though lol. For pressure I was just doing f44>dd2>b12>db2. This variation would be so much better if 111 would actually connect for more pressure.

I think winning with LK is more about fundamentally beating your opponent than OP tech tbh. At least for now lol, the dmg in FF is still really nice though when you do make the correct reads/punishes.

Ralenzo

Noob
I'm very reluctant to practice with him in training right now, because I know it's gonna get nerfed very soon. It's just braindead stupid right now.
I just can't see the current dd+1 buff staying. It wasn't even listed in the changelog so it must've been unintentional.
  • Liu Kang (Flame Fist) - Fixed a bug where the recovery on Shaolin Flame (24) and Shaolin-ferno (15) using the other’s value
Called it!!
Happy I wasn't practicing any combos and relying on the dd+1 yet.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
  • Liu Kang (Flame Fist) - Fixed a bug where the recovery on Shaolin Flame (24) and Shaolin-ferno (15) using the other’s value
Called it!!
Still a great variation IMO. He always has meter so now you just gotta ex SF to get those blocks string and combo links, SF is still very useful on its own, it's not like Fist Bump haha.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Still a great variation IMO. He always has meter so now you just gotta ex SF to get those blocks string and combo links, SF is still very useful on its own, it's not like Fist Bump haha.
nah it's broken iono if like they fucked it up trying to fix it or w/e .. but its shit now

So can we get some clarification on whether or not you can still do the blockstrings and extended combos using EX SF?

SEV

Noob
Liu in Dragon's Fire is still a really solid character, just as good as Flame Fist was before the patch in my opinion, just not nearly as simple in terms of execution or strategy.

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Pretty upset actually. Last patch made FF fun to play but of course we can't have that. The hell. At least show dragons fire some love then or something with an OH starter or make f12 advancing or something. Getting tired of seeing the same characters in tournament. I didn't think this made LK overpowered at all to be honest but hey what do I know...

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Ok now FF def isn't comparable to DF lol. Glad I've been practicing DF.
Here's the thing though...DF was ALWAYS the better variation IMO. DF's pressure is unparalleled and is one of the best pressure characters in the game. The patch that allowed for Flame Fist to have some (ready?) VARIETY (god forbid) was being called OP. Yet each string had gaps to either armor or poke through. And it's not like LK has a 50/50 so just block low until you see 113 (obviously not that easy but just making point on how he's a balanced character).

The patch gave us LK main's another option to use. Do I go for breakneck pressure with respectable zoning or higher damage and quick kills?

Funniest part is that you could say that about all S+ and S tier characters. Look at characters like Raiden, Lao, D'vorah, etc and tell me they don't have much more tools at their disposal than even DF Liu Kang, let alone FF. And now people complain so we get to have the coolest part of FF nerfed. Even if they fix it so you can MB in order to get the same BnB links, spending 1 bar just wont feel the same.

Variety is all I was looking for and we got it and then lost it.

Lui Kang is my secondary,and he wasnt seeing the light of day with me before the patch that gave him the 2in1 buff and the unintentional SF buff,because I was really tired of playing Dragon's fire,it became a boring variation for me,I always wanted to play Flame Fist since it looked more cool,and that patch made Flame fist not necessarily the best variation,but definitely the funniest one,I had a blast doing not the pressure,but the BnB's,Flame Fist had actual BnB's that were fun to execute,now that's gone,I'am really bored of doing F4,4 bicycle kick MB combos spending one bar and only getting 36% in dragon's fire,I will die playing Flame fist with no damaging BnB's rather than going back to Dragon's fire,or hell just drop Liu,at least they should make Shaolin Inferno fast enough to link the midscreen combos bugged SF used to do,we are spending a bar after all...and even that would not make FF as fearsome.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Okay, I don't have the patch yet, but if the patch notes are accurate, everything that we found over the last week or so should still work, you just have to spend meter for them.

Hands up, who can tell me without hesitation that they remember the last time they didn't have a bar of meter ready in Flame Fist?

Get it together Liumunnity. Yes this was a major fuck up by NRS but this isn't the opportunity to collude for safe overhead starters. The fisher price strings from MK9 aint coming back.

WITNESS

Worlds Famous
Here's the thing though...DF was ALWAYS the better variation IMO. DF's pressure is unparalleled and is one of the best pressure characters in the game. The patch that allowed for Flame Fist to have some (ready?)
Okay, I don't have the patch yet, but if the patch notes are accurate, everything that we found over the last week or so should still work, you just have to spend meter for them.

Hands up, who can tell me without hesitation that they remember the last time they didn't have a bar of meter ready in Flame Fist?

Get it together Liumunnity. Yes this was a major fuck up by NRS but this isn't the opportunity to collude for safe overhead starters. The fisher price strings from MK9 aint coming back.
Nope he lost all midscreen bnbs even if you ex sf the recover is not fast enough to link

STRYKIE

Nope he lost all midscreen bnbs even if you ex sf the recover is not fast enough to link
Hmm, weird, would you mind posting what the frame data says for you in the pause menu for both the regular SF and EX?

*Raises hand without hesitation*

I spent it all on meter-burning my parries, because it feels good to inflict a very easy 21% from parrying an attack. Oh yes, it does.

STRYKIE

*Raises hand without hesitation*

I spent it all on meter-burning my parries, because it feels good to inflict a very easy 21% from parrying an attack. Oh yes, it does.
Yeah, well, that's just because you're a hipster Kratos fanboy trying to relive your MK9 memories. #Kappa

But meh, apparently my original point has turned out to be invalid. :(