What's new

General/Other - Kung Jin Kung Jin General Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
It only whiffs on crouching opponents if they aren't blocking though, which would be daft of them considering hes got a low and an overhead too.
I swear it whiffed on Mileena and Cassie while they crouch blocked. Might be a Hitbox issue. I can't currently test tho.

There isn't actually a meter less 40%.

He gets 35% from his overhead and low starters. He can use 3,4 starter for 38%.

People like to exaggerate
You don't mind if I ask for notations for these combos? My combos off his OH/Low respectively do 31%/30% and aren't consistent at all, would definitely appreciate it.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Best meterless damage I can get is 32%. Same damage from both a low and overhead starter (they do 34% with a jump-in).

B14/F24xxBF4, NJ2, jump forward, D4, B21xxDB3.

Both are pretty easy.

EDIT: ...And then I soon as I post this I find a better one. Also fairly easy to pull off. (starter)xxBF4, FJ4xxD4, runxx34, DB3 (34%, 36% with a jump in/36% if started with 34, 37% with a jump in)

Last edited:
So I've started playing Kung Jin... I seriously might main him. It's between him and Cassie right now. Only weakness I can see with this character is that he doesn't really have strong wake up even with meter. Other than that, this character seems amazing.

EDIT: Are people really able to confirm b1,4? f2,4 is an easy confirm, but the low option... you have to cancel it eariler than it looks like you do.

Last edited:

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Any tips for my Kung Jin? [MEDIA]
I'd say try not to jump so much, you dont really need to cause Jin has god like range on his normals. Thankfully this guy wasn't even trying to anti air you. Most importantly make sure you hit confirm every string, there's times in the match where you could have gotten much more damage but just ended up finishing the string or cancelling into a non launching special. I'd suggest using 343 in your pressure more as well instead of 111. Apart from that you're looking pretty solid.

So I've started playing Kung Jin... I seriously might main him. It's between him and Cassie right now. Only weakness I can see with this character is that he doesn't really have strong wake up even with meter. Other than that, this character seems amazing.

EDIT: Are people really able to confirm b1,4? f2,4 is an easy confirm, but the low option... you have to cancel it eariler than it looks like you do.
Across all variations EX bf3 is a pretty solid wakeup, it's unsafe but it's armoured. In Bojutsu you can us EX db3, It's armoured, multi hitting, safe, and it launches. Just be wary cause if they cross you up a lot on wakeup and you throw it out you're gonna get punished.

The low is a bit harder but it's definitely possible, I'm about 50% on the low atm but I'm getting there.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
bojitsu kung jin seems to be he most straight forward character ive checked out in the game. really like it and he has a lot of good stuff! think im going to play him in this variation more.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
What are you guys using for anti airs?

2 is 6 frame start up and it's horizontal hitbox is ridiculous, you can hit people without even touching them lol. Unfortunately it does't recover too quickly so you have to special cancel to get damage, which is fine in bojutsu (cancel into bo swing) but the other variations kinda suffer (unless you have stun arrow loaded in ancestral).
1 is 8 frames, pretty good vertical and horizontal hitbox, after it hits you can run cancel into 343 string or divekick.
u1 is 11 frames so it's the slowest of his options, but it's vertical reach is awesome. Like standing 1 you have options afterwards in non Bojutsu variations.

So far I've found 2 is best for beating jump kicks, but 1 is the most consistent for me otherwise. U1 is for when opponents are so close to me that a 1/2 would whiff completely.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I've noticed that if the opponent jumps over Kung Jin for a crossup, and you try to punish with njp, it whiffs most of the time.
Looks like the hitbox of njp is around the tip of Jin's bow, but it doesn't exist around Kung Jin hand

Bobbss_Cl

Fruitality
Am I the only one who's having too much fun with Ancestral? The range and speed on b214 is ridiculous and is cancellable into stun arrow, allowing for you to load a stun arrow, and go directly into b214 shoot or b212+4. (Choosing the former you can njp, dive kick then b212+4)

Ending in b212+4 gives you enough time to load a stun arrow, and then just fish with b212+4 or catch them with the arrow. Shooting opponents out of jumps or in the air is so satisfying, and just lands them back in the blender.

I haven't had a proper chance to play his others as this is too much fun.

What are you guys using for anti airs?

2 is 6 frame start up and it's horizontal hitbox is ridiculous, you can hit people without even touching them lol. Unfortunately it does't recover too quickly so you have to special cancel to get damage, which is fine in bojutsu (cancel into bo swing) but the other variations kinda suffer (unless you have stun arrow loaded in ancestral).
1 is 8 frames, pretty good vertical and horizontal hitbox, after it hits you can run cancel into 343 string or divekick.
u1 is 11 frames so it's the slowest of his options, but it's vertical reach is awesome. Like standing 1 you have options afterwards in non Bojutsu variations.

So far I've found 2 is best for beating jump kicks, but 1 is the most consistent for me otherwise. U1 is for when opponents are so close to me that a 1/2 would whiff completely.
In ancestral I'm experimenting with the use of standing 4 as a situational antiair. The hitbox misses jump arcs at closer ranges and it has a pretty big hurtbox, but if you have a freeze arrow loaded you can cancel it into a straight or low shot for a full combo.

ando1184

Noob
Can we get individual threads made per variation ? It's kind of cumbersome seeing all of them in the same place, especially when looking for variation specific stuff.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Can we get individual threads made per variation ? It's kind of cumbersome seeing all of them in the same place, especially when looking for variation specific stuff.
Yeah, idk why we have to tag Storms to do it for the character we want when every character should have it

A few BnB's and a good meterless too

Combo 1(36%): 111 bf4 nj2 ji,d4 34 db3

Combo 2(42%): 221 Edb3 nj2 ji,d4 34 db3

Combo 3(42%): 221 Edb3 ba bf4 nj d4 34 db3

Combo 4(41%): 221 Edb3 fb db3

Combo 5(38%): 221 Edb3 b3 db3

Combo 6(37%): 221 Edb3 f4 bf3

Combo 7(50%): 4 bf4 run 34 X-Ray

Combo 8 (41%): 221 db4 nj2 ji,d4 34 db3

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
It's amazing/awesome that we can do at least 30% from almost every angle in his moveset with Bojutsu. OH/Low starter? Check. Low starter? Check. Punishing normal? Check. Njp? Check. Dive Kick? Check. So many options. We just have to be patient and able to touch them. (Looking at you Grandmaster.)

Varion

Noob
It's amazing/awesome that we can do at least 30% from almost every angle in his moveset with Bojutsu. OH/Low starter? Check. Low starter? Check. Punishing normal? Check. Njp? Check. Dive Kick? Check. So many options. We just have to be patient and able to touch them. (Looking at you Grandmaster.)
Agree completely. I'm not sure who I'll use as my second main, but so far I'm very happy with King Jin...

On another note, how do you get the little tag under your avatar that says which variation you play?

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Agree completely. I'm not sure who I'll use as my second main, but so far I'm very happy with King Jin...

On another note, how do you get the little tag under your avatar that says which variation you play?
There's a little invisible link under your avatar, try to click it and you should be able to change it.

Malec

Noob
kinda having a hard time with Ancestral against the most basic bullshit my opponents are throwing at me, my problem for the most part, after getting pressured and they finally did something unsafe or whiffed, I cant really punish them hard enough cause I have no stun arrow loaded. I dont really understand why there is a timer on the stun arrow, its not like KJ is super broken with one loaded.