What's new

Konsider the Following: Ep. 2 -- Podcast Ft. LotF, King Hippo, Coolwhip, Saucy and Home Lee

Should we have guests in the coming weeks?

• No

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Pig of the hut

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • A TYM Mod

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
People liking GGA and people dick riding GGA are the same thing??? ... I like GGA but I don't dick ride there is a difference. And yeah , I really have homosexual insecurities. I hate them all that's why I live with a gay male. I'm a masochist.
Do enlighten me then and point out all these "GGA dick riders" please

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
OK OK OK people...its obvious claude von stokeGGA'sNUTS is as big a dick rider as the rest of us. Case closed

Sneaky tortoise just let him be. (i can't think of a pun for your name...grrrrrrr)

You both can take this elsewhere.

To all who listen! This podcast is pro GGA so too bad so sad.

coolwhip

Noob
It's not a counter-pick, because you just won a match :) If anything, still allowing the winner to pick variant strongly deemphasizes counterpicking. Because you know that, regardless if you switch character, the other player still has a chance to adjust to keep things level.

In comparison, if the winner can't change at all, you just pick whatever is the worst nightmare for his particular combination of character and variation, knowing he's locked to it. Then if he loses, he can just do the same thing to you in a game of musical chairs. *That* is a nightmare and I hope we don't go down that road.
The problem is the other options can be just as big a nightmare. Counter-picking the counter-pick is arguably worse. For example, say a year into the game, Forever King is playing PL:

Forever King wins the first match with Cassie Cage against PL's Raiden (whatever variation). Now, King knows that PL's secondary is Scorpion, PL goes back to the character screen and King knows he's going to pick Scoprion, so he changes Cassie's variation to the one that counter-picks Scorpion the best.

Now you could argue that maybe PL goes to the character screen and simply changes Raiden's variation, or that he still has the option to counter-pick King's variation switch by choosing Scorpion's variation that best fights Cassie, but how would that not be a counterpicking clusterfuck? Essentially, you'd have people forced to make reads at the character select screen, lol.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
OK OK OK people...its obvious claude von stokeGGA'sNUTS is as big a dick rider as the rest of us. Case closed

Sneaky tortoise just let him be. (i can't think of a pun for your name...grrrrrrr)

You both can take this elsewhere.

To all who listen! This podcast is pro GGA so too bad so sad.
"pro GGA" as if I'm anti GGA. WTF

I support this post if we can all really understand what he is suggesting.

Basically he is saying that your main is not just 1 variation...it is 3 variations. If pig plays Quan Chi and I want to counter pick him...I need to pick a main that can counter all 3 variations of QC. Not just one other characters single variation.

In this instance, the winner can counter pick? Is that what you are saying?

Should tournaments be character lock? This way variations are the variety and counter picks are within a variation switch other than a character switch.
Basically this, but I wouldn't personally favor character lock...I think that goes too far.

As I've said before, my idea would be to use the ultra select rule from SFIV which under the evo rules goes like this:
Winner may change ultra (only if opponent changes characters), but has to pick ultra first after loser picks character.

EDIT: also, under this rule the losing player is allowed to pick the variation/ultra *AFTER* the winning player selects their variation/ultra...which means that even though the winning player can still prepare themselves for the counterpick, the loser still ultimately has final say.

With this rule there is still a level of counterpicking available to the player...but as you said, they have to be ready to counter an entire characters toolset....not just one variation, and that may potentially cut down on the amount of hardcounterpicking in the game.

Many will argue against this rule saying that Ultras do not compare to variations because variations change entire movesets while ultras only change one aspect of a character....but I think its more complicated then that considering that landing that one move in SFIV can often be the difference between victory and defeat.
That being said, after talking with filipinoman it sounds like the ultra select rule is also kind of arbitrary and mostly has its roots in the fact that the arcade cabinet in the old days allowed you to do it......so I don't know. Maybe its overthinking it and needlessly convoluted. Just food for thought.

I'm 100% in the variant lock camp. I don't get the argument that this will lead to more counter picking. If you allow the winner to change variants that is a counter pick. So you are guaranteeing an increase in counter picks. That said even if locking the variants does lead to more counter picks so what? Why is that a bad thing we should look to avoid?

I mentioned this point in the thread that started the discussion on the podcast too but enforcing that and the timing (loser picks character > winner picks variant > loser picks variant) or whatever would be done would be a fucking nightmare. Keep it simple. We don't know exactly how the variants will change matchups but we do know they are pretty different. Not just specials but normals too. I view the lock as simply a set of tools. You won with a specific set of tools so you must use those same tools again. In MK9 and IGAU that meant character. In MKX that means character and variant.

I feel pretty strongly that this the only way we will smoothly and fairly run tournaments. And they were right. It needs to be decided soon. Settle it before the game comes out and we'll start off much better for tournaments.
Counterpicking will never be eliminated from tournament...and thats not my goal. Counterpicking will still happen under the system I've proposed...I just believe it may help fight HARD counterpicking because it will force players to think about an entire characters toolset with regard to the counterpick.

Just a personal philosophy....but IMO I feel like counterpicking should be about exploiting a weakness in the player, not the character. To put it another way: if you counterpick my green arrow with doomsday to exploit a weakness in my matchup experience or playstyle that's all well and good. If you counterpick my Arrow with Aquaman.....well...I can't exactly fault you for it...but you gotta admit its kinda lame.

This whole debate may be rooted in the distinction between being a spectator and being a competitor to be honest.
From a competitive standpoint maybe nobody has a problem with the nightmare scenario I'm imagining.....but in my mind the idea of the musical chairs high level endgame sounds hella boring to me.

The problem is the other options can be just as big a nightmare. Counter-picking the counter-pick is arguably worse. For example, say a year into the game, Forever King is playing PL:

Forever King wins the first match with Cassie Cage against PL's Raiden (whatever variation). Now, King knows that PL's secondary is Scorpion, PL goes back to the character screen and King knows he's going to pick Scoprion, so he changes Cassie's variation to the one that counter-picks Scorpion the best.

Now you could argue that maybe PL goes to the character screen and simply changes Raiden's variation, or that he still has the option to counter-pick King's variation switch by choosing Scorpion's variation that best fights Cassie, but how would that not be a counterpicking clusterfuck? Essentially, you'd have people forced to make reads at the character select screen, lol.
To be clear, I think that if you're going to not have variation lock you *HAVE* to do something like the ultra select rule to prevent exactly this sort of thing from happening....because this will just get dumb.
If the ultraselect rule is too arbitrarily complex then fine....stick with variation lock. I'd rather have variation lock then this sort of nonsense.

coolwhip

Noob
Not dick riding:
GGA are cool guys and have some great players. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back.

Dick riding:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/konsider-the-following-ep-2-podcast-ft-lotf-king-hippo-coolwhip-saucy-and-home-lee.47025/#post-1528800
Dude, I've always liked you, so I don't want this to turn into a whole back-and-forth discussion over nothing. But, with all due respect, it's a podcast which has someone with the GGA handle before their name (ie a GGA member), a known GGA supporter, and 3 friends of said GGA member, what the fuck did you expect?

Also, how can we talk about best locals without bringing up GGA? Yes, we all mentioned them, but all we did was say that A) their stream very entertaining and B) the level of gameplay is awesome. That's literally what everyone said. We also said they're passionate about the game which is a fact. What's your problem with any of that? Hell, me, Fly, and Homelee explicitly mentioned THE BREAK as the most dominant local, and Hippo said WNF is the most dominant. So we didn't even call GGA the best. Just that they're entertaining and good at the game. If that's what constitutes dick riding, then we've all ridden plenty of dicks, yourself included, because your East Cost bias in general is ridiculous.

Last edited:

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Not dick riding:
GGA are cool guys and have some great players. I really enjoyed my time there and would go back.

Dick riding:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/konsider-the-following-ep-2-podcast-ft-lotf-king-hippo-coolwhip-saucy-and-home-lee.47025/#post-1528800
I can see why it's a bit annoying as he goes a bit overboard and I think he has a few facts wrong, but at the end of the day this is a site for people interested in fighting games. Is it much of a big deal if someone gets passionate about one of the competitive scenes? Surely it's a good thing especially if people do want this community to grow.

But we'll leave it there anyway as we've derailed this a bit and I don't have an issue with you or anything.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I can see why it's a bit annoying as he goes a bit overboard and I think he has a few facts wrong, but at the end of the day this is a site for people interested in fighting games. Is it much of a big deal if someone gets passionate about one of the competitive scenes? Surely it's a good thing especially if people do want this community to grow.

But we'll leave it there anyway as we've derailed this a bit and I don't have an issue with you or anything.
thats right get the fuck out!

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Basically this, but I wouldn't personally favor character lock...I think that goes too far.

As I've said before, my idea would be to use the ultra select rule from SFIV which under the evo rules goes like this:
Winner may change ultra (only if opponent changes characters), but has to pick ultra first after loser picks character.

EDIT: also, under this rule the losing player is allowed to pick the variation/ultra *AFTER* the winning player selects their variation/ultra...which means that even though the winning player can still prepare themselves for the counterpick, the loser still ultimately has final say.

With this rule there is still a level of counterpicking available to the player...but as you said, they have to be ready to counter an entire characters toolset....not just one variation, and that may potentially cut down on the amount of hardcounterpicking in the game.

Many will argue against this rule saying that Ultras do not compare to variations because variations change entire movesets while ultras only change one aspect of a character....but I think its more complicated then that considering that landing that one move in SFIV can often be the difference between victory and defeat.
That being said, after talking with filipinoman it sounds like the ultra select rule is also kind of arbitrary and mostly has its roots in the fact that the arcade cabinet in the old days allowed you to do it......so I don't know. Maybe its overthinking it and needlessly convoluted. Just food for thought.

Counterpicking will never be eliminated from tournament...and thats not my goal. Counterpicking will still happen under the system I've proposed...I just believe it may help fight HARD counterpicking because it will force players to think about an entire characters toolset with regard to the counterpick.

Just a personal philosophy....but IMO I feel like counterpicking should be about exploiting a weakness in the player, not the character. To put it another way: if you counterpick my green arrow with doomsday to exploit a weakness in my matchup experience or playstyle that's all well and good. If you counterpick my Arrow with Aquaman.....well...I can't exactly fault you for it...but you gotta admit its kinda lame.

This whole debate may be rooted in the distinction between being a spectator and being a competitor to be honest.
From a competitive standpoint maybe nobody has a problem with the nightmare scenario I'm imagining.....but in my mind the idea of the musical chairs high level endgame sounds hella boring to me.

To be clear, I think that if you're going to not have variation lock you *HAVE* to do something like the ultra select rule to prevent exactly this sort of thing from happening....because this will just get dumb.
If the ultraselect rule is too arbitrarily complex then fine....stick with variation lock. I'd rather have variation lock then this sort of nonsense.
I don't see the counterpick back and forth as that big of a problem but even if it is that will not be nearly as bad as trying to enforce the player A picks character player B picks variant player A picks variant. That will take forever. What if player A accidentally picks player and variant. Do they get a chance to say 'woops my mistake' and undo it or does the player B get to say 'too bad your mistake'? Constant back and forth on that shit will delay tournaments.

I'll go along with whatever is decided but I can't image sitting down anyone sitting down and having that go perfectly smooth for an entire tournament.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
Not dick riding:

Dick riding:
Well that's not very nice. I guess having an opinion about the community means I'm a dick rider? Am I also a BLTB dick rider? I gave them a pretty generous shoutout too. I'm pretty new to the community, and I don't really know who you are, but I don't see why what I said bothered you. This is the kind of stuff that really turns me off of TYM. I did get to go to a GBS and I had a great time, they are cool guys. I don't want to derail this thread, but I didn't appreciate you calling out my post like that, or making negative homosexual remarks towards me personally. Personal negative remarks like yours for no reason seem to be a reoccurring issue on this site.

I don't want to be spreading any misleading information. Can you tell me in my post what I said that wasn't true? I'm perfectly open to learning more about the NRS community, as well as giving props where they are deserved. Is there a scene that overall has been more dominant in IGAU?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Nice podcast, I agree with the Character Lock. First and foremost I believe we should be maining characters, not variations. I don't think that playing single variations within characters is what NRS intended at all.

Many people have favourite characters that they don't want to play due to them being absolute shitters, but the variation mechanic allows them to play their favourite character, thus promoting character loyalism (unless all 3 variations are shitters, lol). Variation lock defeats the whole purpose of having variations in the first place.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
What if tournaments were character lock? The only counter pick would be a variation change.

Flow chart option 1 with players of equal skill:
match 1 between Player Alpha and Player Beta

Alpha wins and is locked into his variation

Beta picks the best possible counter in both character and in variation

Match 2
Beta wins and is now locked into this variation.

Alpha does the same type of counter picking and wins.
etc...
Its like counter picking with stage and character.

Flow chart option 2 with players of equal skill:
(Character Lock, loser gets to switch variation)
Both choose their characters carefully.

Match 1 Alpha wins

Beta counters with variation switch

Beta wins

Alpha counters with variation switch.
etc.

I like the concept of character lock.
This is taking into an open assumption, however, that every character will have a 3-7 and a 7-3 MU against someone else.
And even then, you have to consider that assuming people are going to learn all 90 variations just for the chance of one MU is a bit off.

IMO people will gravitate towards characters with balanced lists this time instead of polarized ones, and changing 2 specials isn't likely to make a character suddenly win against someone they didn't before. If Raiden already had 6-4 over F/T, changing two moves on one character isn't suddenly going to make F/T a 7-3 against Raiden.

Personally, I think character lock is fine, and variation winner before loser.
That way, even if the opponent picks someone who beats your character somewhat, you can at least lessen the damage by picking a variation that has a better chance.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
It's not a counter-pick, because you just won a match :) If anything, still allowing the winner to pick variant strongly deemphasizes counterpicking. Because you know that, regardless if you switch character, the other player still has a chance to adjust to keep things level.
The counter pick on the winner side would be the variant. The counter pick on the loser side would be the character and the variant. That is more than would be in a normal match, not less.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I don't want to be spreading any misleading information. Can you tell me in my post what I said that wasn't true? I'm perfectly open to learning more about the NRS community, as well as giving props where they are deserved. Is there a scene that overall has been more dominant in IGAU?
Well, one thing saying they had the most top 8 placers (but you even said "don't quote me on that" so I can't take issue there) and panty christ being the best Joker. Grr had the best tournament display with Joker.

But these are like minor things, I wouldn't have blown you up for it or anything but it clearly bugged someone else

I don't see the counterpick back and forth as that big of a problem but even if it is that will not be nearly as bad as trying to enforce the player A picks character player B picks variant player A picks variant. That will take forever. What if player A accidentally picks player and variant. Do they get a chance to say 'woops my mistake' and undo it or does the player B get to say 'too bad your mistake'? Constant back and forth on that shit will delay tournaments.

I'll go along with whatever is decided but I can't image sitting down anyone sitting down and having that go perfectly smooth for an entire tournament.
It might be....I've never run a tournament so I can't say for sure. Eitherway, in the scenario you bring up I don't see any reason player A shouldn't be allowed to just back out and select a different variation because the end goal of the rule is that player A gets the final decision on variation. They can of course pick beforehand if they want but its probably not in their best interest to do so. Now if player B accidentally picks beforehand and player A wants to be a dick then they can hold that shit.

Well, one thing saying they had the most top 8 placers (but you even said "don't quote me on that" so I can't take issue there) and panty christ being the best Joker. Grr had the best tournament display with Joker.

But these are like minor things, I wouldn't have blown you up for it or anything but it clearly bugged someone else
Joh-Grr!!! I really miss this boy/man, we lost him to the soul consuming game known as LEAGUE OF LEGENDS! @Grr Come back!!!!!

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.

I'm pretty sure that most people knew I was kidding that Panty has the best joker...

Who has the most top 8 placers?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

I'd much rather see that than see people play musical character chairs. Allowing re-pick of the variation would help reward people for sticking with their main.

Do we really just want to see a repeat of "you picked Cage -- I'll pick Kenshi?"

You'd have to be ballsier to counterpick knowing it still might not give you the easiest possible path. And I'm all for ballsier picks :D

Last edited:

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I like the show a lot guys, keep 'em coming! The points system and round table discussion certainly do add something to the medium, and that's coming from someone who is borderline addicted to podcasts. Thanks also for putting the mp3 up at the same time as the video, its super convenient.

I like the concept of character lock.
This.
I plan on getting a character lock tournament going at my local, assuming one exists, when MKX comes out to at least try it. Isn't that the point of variations? To see each character actually be played as a character, not as a co-main (which is a terrible term) ?