What's new

Konsider the Following: Ep. 2 -- Podcast Ft. LotF, King Hippo, Coolwhip, Saucy and Home Lee

Should we have guests in the coming weeks?

• No

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Pig of the hut

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • A TYM Mod

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I have been to gga a few times and loved its a great place and great guys. Would go back again anytime and probably will, always had a lot of fun and I've been treated very nicely. That being said the amount of gga dick riding by people not even in gga on tym lately is getting to new levels of gayness that I don't think has been seen or even approached before. If this continues on this pace, One day gga will form a spire made of man meat and tym will collectively sit on it, taking it all the way in. Prepare your anuses because it's coming.
I cannot emphasise how pathetic it is that you would get annoyed by another scene receiving praise.

Seriously, get over yourself, tone down your ego and the pride for your scene and just be grateful that there are other scenes for you to compete against and have a rivalry with.

Goldi

Noob
I skimmed around so I missed chunks, but I definitely agree with community negativity hurting Injustice. "Kids that don't like the toy so they want to break it for everyone else". The same thing happens with posters who "hate" TYM and yet they're here everyday... I'll never understand people on the Internet lol

On Injustice's life:
I agree with Coolwhip...it was never allowed to live. We all live in bubbles within bubbles when it comes to niche scenes like ours. People quitting or dropping the game more recently due to various reasons is one thing but I think a lot of people here really don't get just how much damage was done to this game competitive life in the first few months.
To put it in perspective:
A couple weeks ago Maximillion posted a new video of his Batgirl against some of his subscribers and reading through the comments actually lends some insight into fighting game players/viewers outside our scene and what they think of the game. Some have issues (fair or otherwise) with the games art style and presentation as well as the netcode....but there's a *LOT* of comments about how the game used to be a lot of fun before super OP scorpion ruined it, and a ton of people still complaining to this day about Supes and Adam. I tried having a conversation/arguing with a number of them and a lot of them don't even believe me when I tell them that Supes is arguably not top 5, and that Bane arguably is.
The people who insinuate that our communities negative attitude is somehow responsible for the death of our games are generally completely full of crap IMO....but in a roundabout way they may actually have a point ironically. I don't think the impression our community gives off really means anything....but the impression that we project about our game very well might.

On the subject of variation lock and tournament standards:
Here's the thing, I think I may have made a bigger case then anyone here in favor of not having variation lock but I'm partially arguing devils advocate. When you get right down to it I don't really strongly believe either direction. I only know what I want from the end result...but I can see the pitfalls of both sides. Here is my concern about MKX:
I very strongly believe that if we have variation lock this game will devolve into counterpicking faster than we have ever seen before. You can say that I'm talking out of my ass and there's no way I can possibly know that for sure when the game hasn't come out....and you're right...but just take a moment and consider this: throughout the history of fighting games has there even been a fighter with a roster that massive which has been even remotely close to well balanced? When you have this many conflicting tools and designs to consider I honestly don't think its possible to avoid the fact that some characters are just plain going to overwhelm other ones.
Also, its tempting to talk about this game and its roster as if there are 90 characters in it, but its important to remember IMO that while that may be technically true from a certain point of view its also possible that they may not be complete characters in a sense.
I do not believe this is a 90 character game. I believe this is a 30 character game with multiple variations of each character to give them the tools to handle matchups that would be too overpowering for others. I think allowing variation change may force us to consider a characters entire toolset in matchups and counterpicking rather than just simplifying it to variation. Maybe that's too radical of an idea to employ for a game thats not even out yet, but if it doesn't work out I also think it would probably be much easier for our community to change to variation lock rather than the other way around.

Finally, on the subject of acidglow: I'd like to take this time to call out everyone on this site for not buying enough of my shirts and forcing me to work full time. :DOGE

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I do not believe this is a 90 character game. I believe this is a 30 character game with multiple variations of each character to give them the tools to handle matchups that would be too overpowering for others. I think allowing variation change may force us to consider a characters entire toolset in matchups and counterpicking rather than just simplifying it to variation. Maybe that's too radical of an idea to employ for a game thats not even out yet, but if it doesn't work out I also think it would probably be much easier for our community to change to variation lock rather than the other way around.
I support this post if we can all really understand what he is suggesting.

Basically he is saying that your main is not just 1 variation...it is 3 variations. If pig plays Quan Chi and I want to counter pick him...I need to pick a main that can counter all 3 variations of QC. Not just one other characters single variation.

In this instance, the winner can counter pick? Is that what you are saying?

Should tournaments be character lock? This way variations are the variety and counter picks are within a variation switch other than a character switch.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
On Injustice's life:
I agree with Coolwhip...it was never allowed to live. We all live in bubbles within bubbles when it comes to niche scenes like ours. People quitting or dropping the game more recently due to various reasons is one thing but I think a lot of people here really don't get just how much damage was done to this game competitive life in the first few months.
To put it in perspective:
A couple weeks ago Maximillion posted a new video of his Batgirl against some of his subscribers and reading through the comments actually lends some insight into fighting game players/viewers outside our scene and what they think of the game. Some have issues (fair or otherwise) with the games art style and presentation as well as the netcode....but there's a *LOT* of comments about how the game used to be a lot of fun before super OP scorpion ruined it, and a ton of people still complaining to this day about Supes and Adam. I tried having a conversation/arguing with a number of them and a lot of them don't even believe me when I tell them that Supes is arguably not top 5, and that Bane arguably is.
The people who insinuate that our communities negative attitude is somehow responsible for the death of our games are generally completely full of crap IMO....but in a roundabout way they may actually have a point ironically. I don't think the impression our community gives off really means anything....but the impression that we project about our game very well might.

On the subject of variation lock and tournament standards:
Here's the thing, I think I may have made a bigger case then anyone here in favor of not having variation lock but I'm partially arguing devils advocate. When you get right down to it I don't really strongly believe either direction. I only know what I want from the end result...but I can see the pitfalls of both sides. Here is my concern about MKX:
I very strongly believe that if we have variation lock this game will devolve into counterpicking faster than we have ever seen before. You can say that I'm talking out of my ass and there's no way I can possibly know that for sure when the game hasn't come out....and you're right...but just take a moment and consider this: throughout the history of fighting games has there even been a fighter with a roster that massive which has been even remotely close to well balanced? When you have this many conflicting tools and designs to consider I honestly don't think its possible to avoid the fact that some characters are just plain going to overwhelm other ones.
Also, its tempting to talk about this game and its roster as if there are 90 characters in it, but its important to remember IMO that while that may be technically true from a certain point of view its also possible that they may not be complete characters in a sense.

Finally, on the subject of acidglow: I'd like to take this time to call out everyone on this site for not buying enough of my shirts and forcing me to work full time. :DOGE
I'm 100% in the variant lock camp. I don't get the argument that this will lead to more counter picking. If you allow the winner to change variants that is a counter pick. So you are guaranteeing an increase in counter picks. That said even if locking the variants does lead to more counter picks so what? Why is that a bad thing we should look to avoid?

I mentioned this point in the thread that started the discussion on the podcast too but enforcing that and the timing (loser picks character > winner picks variant > loser picks variant) or whatever would be done would be a fucking nightmare. Keep it simple. We don't know exactly how the variants will change matchups but we do know they are pretty different. Not just specials but normals too. I view the lock as simply a set of tools. You won with a specific set of tools so you must use those same tools again. In MK9 and IGAU that meant character. In MKX that means character and variant.

I feel pretty strongly that this the only way we will smoothly and fairly run tournaments. And they were right. It needs to be decided soon. Settle it before the game comes out and we'll start off much better for tournaments.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
You know what tho...if we didn't have variation lock, a FT3 set will always be insanely hype. The winner of the first match will hold a HUGE advantage, as they should.

Definitely something to consider.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm 100% in the variant lock camp. I don't get the argument that this will lead to more counter picking. If you allow the winner to change variants that is a counter pick. So you are guaranteeing an increase in counter picks. That said even if locking the variants does lead to more counter picks so what? Why is that a bad thing we should look to avoid?
It's not a counter-pick, because you just won a match :) If anything, still allowing the winner to pick variant strongly deemphasizes counterpicking. Because you know that, regardless if you switch character, the other player still has a chance to adjust to keep things level.

In comparison, if the winner can't change at all, you just pick whatever is the worst nightmare for his particular combination of character and variation, knowing he's locked to it. Then if he loses, he can just do the same thing to you in a game of musical chairs. *That* is a nightmare and I hope we don't go down that road.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
On variation lock. If NRS implemented a system where to chose your variation by pressing X/A/Y (X/square/triangle) on the controller, and that this stays hidden until it says round 1 fight and then we had no variation lock, only character lock, who would be against this and why?

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I cannot emphasise how pathetic it is that you would get annoyed by another scene receiving praise.

Seriously, get over yourself, tone down your ego and the pride for your scene and just be grateful that there are other scenes for you to compete against and have a rivalry with.
How about this, go fuck yourself. I don't have an ego, you don't know me and I doubt you know anyone in GGA either. I have NO problems with GGA or anyone in it and as I stated in my post, which apparently you are incapable of actually reading; I like all those guys. Oh yeah, I'm SOOO annoyed by another scene receiving praise, yeah that's it. Fucking brilliant

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
How about this, go fuck yourself. I don't have an ego, you don't know me and I doubt you know anyone in GGA either. I have NO problems with GGA or anyone in it and as I stated in my post, which apparently you are incapable of actually reading; I like all those guys. Oh yeah, I'm SOOO annoyed by another scene receiving praise, yeah that's it. Fucking brilliant
Excellent. Clearly no ego at all.
I never said you did have a problem with the people in GGA so clearly you are the one with a comprehension problem.
And yes, you obviously do have a problem with people giving them praise as you use the term "dick riders" to describe those that do. But I guess you're right and I will fuck off, as you projecting your homosexual insecurities onto others is none of my business.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Anyway, aside from the obvious TYM bitchassness as of late, It's not easy to keep a podcast going and good luck, hopefully it will remain through MKX, etc.

Killusion

Stream addict
I seriously needed a TYM podcast in my life, thanks for filling the void guys!

I love:
-Rotating hosts
-Being finally able to connect a real voice and personality to certain forum users (Lotf, Homelee, Coolwhip)
-The real talk
-Points. At first it felt weird and unnecessary but now I see the hilarity it can bring to the podcast
-3 hours. I personally prefer these longer podcasts

I don't like:
-Intro music, wth is that?
-Timer thing. I know why it's there and all but I'm not a fan. You realize you can't have Tom Brady as a guest if he can't ramble on for hours?

Overall, I think this show is amazing. I hope you guys have stuff to talk about for many weeks to come!

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Excellent. Clearly no ego at all.
I never said you did have a problem with the people in GGA so clearly you are the one with a comprehension problem.
And yes, you obviously do have a problem with people giving them praise as you use the term "dick riders" to describe those that do. But I guess you're right and I will fuck of,f as you projecting your homosexual insecurities onto others is none of my business.
People liking GGA and people dick riding GGA are the same thing??? ... I like GGA but I don't dick ride there is a difference. And yeah , I really have homosexual insecurities. I hate them all that's why I live with a gay male. I'm a masochist.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I seriously needed a TYM podcast in my life, thanks for filling the void guys!

I love:
-Rotating hosts
-Being finally able to connect a real voice and personality to certain forum users (Lotf, Homelee, Coolwhip)
-The real talk
-Points. At first it felt weird and unnecessary but now I see the hilarity it can bring to the podcast
-3 hours. I personally prefer these longer podcasts

I don't like:
-Intro music, wth is that?
-Timer thing. I know why it's there and all but I'm not a fan. You realize you can't have Tom Brady as a guest if he can't ramble on for hours?

Overall, I think this show is amazing. I hope you guys have stuff to talk about for many weeks to come!
I actually enjoyed the theme song. Opinions are opinions though.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It's not a counter-pick, because you just won a match :) If anything, still allowing the winner to pick variant strongly deemphasizes counterpicking. Because you know that, regardless if you switch character, the other player still has a chance to adjust to keep things level.

In comparison, if the winner can't change at all, you just pick whatever is the worst nightmare for his particular combination of character and variation, knowing he's locked to it. Then if he loses, he can just do the same thing to you in a game of musical chairs. *That* is a nightmare and I hope we don't go down that road.
What if tournaments were character lock? The only counter pick would be a variation change.

Flow chart option 1 with players of equal skill:
match 1 between Player Alpha and Player Beta

Alpha wins and is locked into his variation

Beta picks the best possible counter in both character and in variation

Match 2
Beta wins and is now locked into this variation.

Alpha does the same type of counter picking and wins.
etc...
Its like counter picking with stage and character.

Flow chart option 2 with players of equal skill:
(Character Lock, loser gets to switch variation)
Both choose their characters carefully.

Match 1 Alpha wins

Beta counters with variation switch

Beta wins

Alpha counters with variation switch.
etc.

I like the concept of character lock.