What's new

[Jul 27, 2013] KombatNetwork/RBR Presents: Rampage July 27th at YesterCades (Red Bank)

The last several times I checked this thread, Swift Tom Hanks and Dr Handsome's replies were not here but Cibernetico's was, very strange.

Dr Handsome, Injustice tournament won't start until about 7PM, 6 at the earliest as players won't be able to start casuals until 5. Also, can you give me names or tags to list for those players?
When I did the first one of these back in April/May, I had fun. Got my ass kicked, but had fun. Months later of leveling up and preparation, this was not fun. I get that you guys try to get these tourneys going on schedule to the best of your ability, but I didn't start playing until almost quarter to eleven. That's bad. Had anything remotely close to that time been given as a possibility for when a pool would start, I'd have said no thanks right off the bat(man). While competitive gaming in general may cater to those without jobs, I've got to be up at 7AM for work. This wasn't a major. This wasn't "request off for the weekend a month in advance." This was "make the hour and fifteen minute trip to go have fun for the night, then come back home." Instead, the sleep version of myself went 0-2 at 11PM. Call it salt if you want, but I was all smiles when losing at a decent hour last time.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Shock, not sure who else to talk to, but my buddy accidentally walked out with one of the Cronus converters. He had been lending his out and somehow ended with two by the time we made it home. I can drop it off somewhere tomorrow because I'll be driving back up north, just PM me or something.
I was just going to post about this. I am going to be out all day. Are you going to Summer Jam? If so, bring it with you. Thanks for giving me the head's up.

Also, we expected about 30 less players than what we got which is why it was so packed. This is a good thing no matter how annoying it might be. The venue is hopefully going to be expanding at some point in the near future so we'll be able to run events of this size more easily. The last few times we ran just AE and MvC3 we got single digit turnouts for both games so we decided to throw in CvS2 and MvC2 (which only wound up getting 3 entrants - all staff - so we didn't run it).

Originally I was going to run an event by myself with just Injustice and MK9, but RBR booked this day as well before I 100% confirmed. We were going to run everything but Melee and Brawl, however then I found out that Dan wasn't running his event earlier in the month, and added it to our lineup. This is what put us WAY over. Imagine the 6 setups of Smash being more spread out for our setups, plus a couple extra, and that's what the original plan was. So we said screw, let's advertise everything and see if we can get as many people as possible, push the limits of the venue, which is something I talked to Ken about last year, tell him that if I ran MK9, UMvC3 and AE with the right people, we could be over 100 players in there. It took a while to just run events on a Saturday. Now we know the limits and we'll go on from here. Remember, while it was crazy being there playing, it was crazier setting up and breaking down, I didn't get into my car until 4:15AM. If the venue gets 50% more space, we can run tonight's shindig again no problem.

As for the stream, it was a technological hurdle that just couldn't be compensated for. The bandwidth and speed tests showed more than enough, but the router couldn't handle all the traffic, so it was losing packets left and right, and it couldn't be shut down or the venue wouldn't be able to process credit cards. It was either slide show stream, or no stream, and I didn't spend 2 hours setting up not to run a stream.

Thank you to everyone who helped and came out. Mikemetroid and @rayriazy for staffing it up under harsh conditions.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
When I did the first one of these back in April/May, I had fun. Got my ass kicked, but had fun. Months later of leveling up and preparation, this was not fun. I get that you guys try to get these tourneys going on schedule to the best of your ability, but I didn't start playing until almost quarter to eleven. That's bad. Had anything remotely close to that time been given as a possibility for when a pool would start, I'd have said no thanks right off the bat(man). While competitive gaming in general may cater to those without jobs, I've got to be up at 7AM for work. This wasn't a major. This wasn't "request off for the weekend a month in advance." This was "make the hour and fifteen minute trip to go have fun for the night, then come back home." Instead, the sleep version of myself went 0-2 at 11PM. Call it salt if you want, but I was all smiles when losing at a decent hour last time.
I am very sorry about this. The Injustice pools took extremely long to run and we didn't even do 3/5 the entire tournament like we wanted to. It came to my attention that they were running late after 10PM which is why I took the brackets and started calling out matches. It was just way over capacity and we were about 1 system short for every game in the small room, with no where to run any more games even if we had systems for them.

Edit: grand finals ended at 2:30 AM exactly by the way

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I was just going to post about this. I am going to be out all day. Are you going to Summer Jam? If so, bring it with you. Thanks for giving me the head's up.
I don't think so, not sure yet. Would it be possible to leave it with someone at yestercades or something?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Haha sorry guys for running shit slow. Its just the limits of the venue and the limited amount of systems. We had to work with what we had.

At least the brackets were really nice.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I don't think so, not sure yet. Would it be possible to leave it with someone at yestercades or something?
Sorry I was out all day and just got to check these messages now. I'll PM you a USPS label tomorrow from work you can print and you can send it to me. If he still has it, I can contact him.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Sorry I was out all day and just got to check these messages now. I'll PM you a USPS label tomorrow from work you can print and you can send it to me. If he still has it, I can contact him.
I have it, send me that label and I'll take care of it when I get a chance.