What's new

Injustice character design grades (balance and creativity)

Hindsight is always 20/20 ;). This thread is about my personal opinions on these characters from a design standpoint. I think netherrealm was exceptionally creative in their game design but had LOADS of room to improve and a lot of poorly thought out things most likely due to lack of competitive experience in their design. A lack of risk-reward analysis in their game design. Overall netherealm gets an A on injustice.

Aquaman: overall grade = C (i'm dissappointed in what could have been he is the master of the ocean not the master of the pole)

Pros = -has a wide variety of normals all with specific interesting uses allowing for mixups and a good spacing game. (These aspects gives him a somewhat varietied game and rewards decent smart play with good anti-air, there are other things that make him unfair)
-water shield is a very interesting move, trident is a very useful tools that allows him to be a strong defensive/footsies character that anti-airs and keeps the game on the ground

cons- his trait is the laziest idea (he's made of water so he can slip out of water is laughably stupid and i hate the idea with a passion) and its overpowered and uninteresting, this is the primary reason his grade is bad in my eyes. It doesn't fit in this game
-he masters the sea and does virtually no summoning of water creatures, this game doesn't have to be realistic he could have been a wicked cool variety of specials or could have been involved in his trait
-trident rush is stupid and doesn't have a risk reward
-his trident might be a bit too good but i think it would be fine without his trait

Synopsis: Competitively, its extremely difficult for some characters to approach this character because his uppercut and ranged normals are phenomenal and he counter-zones well. this game rewards defensive characters because walkspeed is slow and dashes are punishable. It's okay he's a defensive powerhouse, but his trait and down 1 trident rush put him over the edge. Creatively, i want fucking sea creatures goddamnit not a guy with a pole. though he is somewhat cool because he has a variety of useful normals

This character is the god of the ocean but is lacking in oceanicness

Ares: grade: c- (underexplored but has problems)

Pros: they tried to make a cool character. he looks cool.
-back 1 is a good footsie tools, he can be a snowballing machine in practice
-theoretically that tried to make a beastly setup character, maybe he can still be one with ex invis and godsmack and ex teleport
-he has a variety of very interesting moves they just don't come together

Cons: his trait was somewhat interesting but poorly executed and underwhelming. He can't mixup with it and it gets interrupted on startup and is more of a hinderance to his game
-no viable zoning, duckable, mb is reactable and a waste of meter
-teleport too slow on startup to use on reaction, needs startup invincibility with high duration frames and he would be more interesting
-buffs helped him teleport safely and mb teleport could be usefull
-lacks tools to be competitive in the air, and mobility to be competive any where else, b1 is his only saving grace
-overall its missing things
-not sure i like godsmack and tp together

Synopsis: 2 3 days into the game i knew this character was garbage. they buffed him, he's still bad and he just lacks any sort of meat and potatoes but int he right hands who knows he could be a snowballing monster. Would have seen him rather be more designed to be a character that shuts down zoning on reaction and controls the pace and zones a little bit and mixes up a little bit, rather than a hope i get a lucky hit and then hope i catch you with a greasy setup, hope i make a beastly guess type of character. More of a raiden type then a sheeva, if your going to give him the tools he has. But, who knows he could still be a setup machine. His trait is lackluster. The god of war should be outsmarting foes not being a random dickhead.

Bane: B+ (cool design, very thoughtful)
Pros: fun as shit to play as from what i understand
-his design fits his personality and is well executed
-his trait is super thoughtful and they adequately buffed him
-his specials fit him well (command grab, overhead, punishabe high damage anti-air)
-you have to be a smart manager of things to play him
-love the drawkbacks
-bane feels like bane

Cons: A bit cheap, don't have to be a masterful fighting game player to find success with
-hard to balance a game iwht so many tools and a character with armored specials, creates lopsided matchups
-maybe could have some more cool tools involing venomous attacks but overall he's good

Synopsis: A unique design and somewhat balance competitively. Is overrated by tym and can still be exploited by some characters. Fits him well, not overwhelmingly cheap. Once people master the matchup you'll find he's god plenty of fair weaknesses. any1 can get baned though at the wrong time. Initially he was god awful, but they buffed him effectively and patched him up into an honest injustice character.

Batgirl: C- (cmon you gave me batgirl, harely quinn, killer frost and SCORPION, but everyone wanted poison ivy or someone else, poison ivy would be AMAZING and has so much potential)

Pros: useful normals and effective combination of specials creates a playstyle
-bola is very interesting
-her db3 is interesting but poorly executed
-her lack of dash speed and mediocre footsies are a fair drawback to her game, her cartwheel is hard to deal with but very punishable, so she isn't entirely broken

Cons: i feel she should have had some more gadgets and really been more of an all over the place harassment character that shuts down zoning, rather than a vortex character you can't zone or approach on wakeup
-her biggest drawback is a USELESS and uninteresting and LAZY thoughtless trait
-her vortex was easy to see coming and is too good because she has so many options
-her wakeup option selects, cartwheel is punishable but has 3 options and is multi-hitting
-she's batgirl for crying outloud
-her counter-zoning is really good, there are a lot of counter-zoners, she should be one, maybe even better at it but not with a braindead ass vortex

Synopsis: Who was happy to see batgirl over other characters? Her trait was a missed opportunity

Batman: A- (did netherrealm spend 50% of the time designing batman, and 50% of the time designing the rest of the cast)

Pros: so many good tools with good drawbacks, like anti-air grapple grapple, air sparks, his projectile is interesting and the mb version is extremely good. His and normals strings liek b23 are interesting.

he should have a few more mobility tools but i like what they tried to design overall. Liek grapples for mobility, bombs, more gadgets and niche tools less jump 2

His trait is AMAZING, the reason he gets such a good grade. It Creates SO many different options and different abilities and creates a rewarding character to play.

Cons: His trait is amazing but they didn't make everyone else as well as they made batman so sometimes his traits a little bit good

- could be a bit more gadgety and jump 2 is annoying but he needs it in this game (but shouldn't need it)

Synopsis: Goodjob, cool character, loads to play with, a zillion things you can do with him, though his multi-hit specials allow him to bop bane and doomsday pretty hard, then again he has no good wakeups which is perfect. if this game didn't have pushblock this grade would be lowered because he's be the most broken piece of shit on the face of the earth. he truly is a jack of all trades

Black adam: B- (yes, let's jump backwards the whole game shall we?)

Pros: Cool trait, good normals, good counter-zoning tools, thank god divekick can be anti-air and he doesn't have lows
-you can react to his zoning move, making him more of a counter-zoner, and not too good of a zoner any more
-he's got so much goddamn swag
Cons: all i do is jump backwards on this character
-his backdash and jump arc made him way to lame until patched

Synopsis: I guess he's fine but he was stupid pre-patch, dlc and lightning hitbox nerfed him. He's a good character design but he doesn't reek of interestingness. Initially he was too good at everything and too safe. Dive kick his a bit weird not sure how i feel about it.

Catwoman: C- (ummmmmmm more doesn't mean better in terms of strings)

Pros: Okay so i am a little bias against this character
-her evades are cool
-she does have some very interesting strings
-catdash is good but mb catdash should have variability and being able to be punish
-good attempts on her cat stances in stuff, but kind of weak deliverance
-she can compete but PERSONALLY i don't find her playstyle all that interesting

Cons:

-fullscreen relatively safe armored fast combo starters
-stupid braindead jump 2
-mb catdash is stupid
-what the fuck why does she have so many strings
-overally not a thoughful character to play, kind of just random and has 50 50 mixups and has catdash and jump, she is missing competitive tools in some ares
-i think that mb catdash could have been executed
-for the love of god test the hitbox on back 3
-terrible dash speed
-underwhelming footsie tools
-can only compete due to mb catdash and jump 2, which he was better in other areas and worst in other ares
-her trait is a bit underwhelming

Synopsis: MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW

Cyborg : D+(could have been so cool, is reduced to one tool being his bread and butter tool, and that tool is extremely good)

Pros: I like his grapple and fireball game and target aqcuired and trait in theory, but was not well executed

cons: monotonous playstyle involving instant air fireballs
-not that viable of a trait
-awkward normals, albeit 12 year olds who won't be named are very good at frame trapping with him
-should have made him a hybrid not pure run away,
-can summon all sorts of gadgets and shit with that arm, coul dbe super cool, all he does his pew pew all day long
-target aqcuired should be only known in location on startup by cyborg player.
-he was poorly tested and executed but still have viablity due to the fact that his instant air fireball is extremely good

Synopsis: I love zoning characters but this zoner could have been so great and thoughtful, and maybe should have been a hybrid. Instant airs aren't a very interesting tactic and anti-air fireballs should be balanced and not have the recovery frame to become a block infinite, unlike deathstroke.

Deathstroke : B/B+ ( all of his moves have a niche, and a specific use, he is very stylish, he is one of the most balanced characters in this game, but i want EVERY character to have a useful and interesting trait)

Pros: He is a great counter-zoner and his tools are fair.
-his normals have to be used thoughtfully and have drawbacks
-his normals and footsie tools have good variety, jump normals and ground and f3's alike
-he rewards patient and skilled players, requires solid fundamentals to use at a high level

Cons: His rifle is way too slow on startup and doesn't do chip
-his zoning is a bit stale, could have more tools and his guns be balanced accordingly, also i agree with m2dave that he isn't that good of a zoner, that being said he's not really a zoner he's a hybrid, and i think hes a good viable character
-his trait is straight garbage
-his sword flip needs a better hitbox for the love of god, its unsafe but sometimes it only does 4% and whiffs at the end

Synopsis: good job play @Crathen or anti-static on xbox and you will realize that good patient reactionary players are attracted to this character, and bad players don't know how deal with deathstroke. it'd be cool if he had mines. And every trait should be useful, don't argue that his trait is useful.

Doomsday: C- (herp derp)
Pros: great visually and great noises
-i like his trait
-he feels like the comic book doomsday should playing against him
-he should play like an overpowering rush down character, but he's still too painfully thoughtless
Cons:
-from a competitive standpoint, this character is aggregious
-he is thoughtless,and flow charty
-a neanderthal could be effective with this character
-he prays on the fact that even if you predict him he is hard to block
-he gets in for straight up free, no thought or spacing or anything, all he has to do is watch out for whiffing a shoulder so he can't be meter
-his jump 3 is stupid
-all of his normals are relatively bad and not all that usefull outside of jump ins
-his game is reduced to belly flopping, shouldering in for free pressure, and down 1s grabs and sweeps
-earthshake is -2 on block

Synopsis: This character hurts our community as a whole because he is so thoughtless, anybody can lose in a set of 3 to this character even if that player is significantly more talented. That being said as the game goes people well get better and better against this character (i know i feel very comfortable against him). He just should have had more useful normals and shoulder should have been not quite as good, he needs better tools around and not just one overpowering tool. He is the poster boy for the flaws in in this game competitively.

Flash: C- (ehhhh)

Pros: He should be the fastest char in the game
Speed doge is good in theory, but lacks startup frames
His trait is perfect, in theory
he should have tons of multi-hitting moves

Cons:
-his trait should be less about extending combos, more about getting in, it needs to be balanced that way
-he should have a varieity of effective quick normals that lead to small damage not-
-braindead fifty-fifties that lead to high damage
-his footsie tools are mediocre
-mb headbutt was a stupid buff because you are forced to duck against him, lucky he can't jump at you
-he should get in easy but he's too awkward up close and leads to too much damage

Synopsis: hard concept to tackle in balance, not sure what i would have done

Green Arrow: B

Why isn't every character like this??

Pros: arrows are cool

specials are cool
ability to hold cancel jump and aim, something that needs to be universal in cast
trait is cool

Cons:
No damage
down 1 arrow is meh
jump 3 is he needs it
footsies??? nah
trait?: not enough arrows or damage, he needs buffs

Synopsis: Green arrow is a cool cat but that dude can't compete

Green lantern: C- (this dude has the ring of power that can summon anything you can thing of, and he spends half the match beating me up with his legs and can only thing of missiles the rest of this match)

Pros: he's fair, deserves a bad dash
his trait is cool i guess and he does have variety in his moves

Cons: THIS MAN SHOULD BE USING THAT RING TO WHOOP MY ASS WITH ALL SORTS OF STRINGS AND STUFF, he only has back 1 and f3
-literally stupidly dominant in footsies, he should be but it should be more thoughtful
-bland like expired raisin bran

Synopsis: could have been so much more

Harley Quinn: I am getting tired of this she is fine (B), probably needs different normals though, cute zoning tools, meh on the trait

Hawkgirl: see doomsday above, wait a second, come on, HAWKGIRL??? D

Joker: a bunch of cool moves, should be a zoner, 100 percent resets are meh, B

the problem isn't joker its who he has to fight, lack of good footsie tools, useless zoning tools

Killer Frost: I hate characters like this, so stupid, vortex, can't deal with bunny rabbits why is she in the game? D

Lex Luthor: B+ (zone the fuck out of this guy

Pros: awesome set of specials, really well thought out
-cool trait, maybe should be nerfed and the rest of him balanced because you can just zone him out, but if you don't hes like unbelievably retarded
well spread out normal utility

Cons: gets dominated because he can't get anything out, if he could he would be super saiyan top tier

Lobo: B+ (FUCK yes, you fixed this asshole with buffs otherwise he was garbo)

Pros: Variety of cool specials
-plays with a cigar
-his trait is balanced because you get it out, and is the most satisfying and terrifying thing to land
-cool dash

cons: awkward normals sometimes, could have had some better normals, his dive kick is garbo, doesn't kind of too much damage

martian manhunter: B+/B (You fools gave him a safe teleport combo starter), serious downgrades

Pros: good trait, good set of normals, super interesting zoning specials, the orb is such a good move, so fun to zone with, airdash, really well thought out character

cons:
- he was made too broke
- he needs a slightly better trait and a lot worst teleport or he should be forced to mb it and/or copy sektors

Synopsis: really cool character, ruined by give him the ability to be kung lao

Last edited:
Nightwing: C- (he's an acrobat that can't jump)

Pros: lightning is cool, can be thoughtful, staff is a bit ludicrous

cons: Wtf is that flip move

Loses to jump and interactables

staff stance is retarded and his pressure never ends

d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 d1
-one of the most mobilitiy challenged characters that should be more

-footsies????

Raven: B+ (ermac copycat)

A good solid, balanced character, with a good trait that fills a good niche. Zoning is a bit boring and should have a bit more variety i think. maybe could have orbish type stuff in demon mode. She falls under the same problem of being a 1 more character

scorpion: F

he needs a worst teleport, and a better everything else, nothing rewarding to his playstyle honestly spoiled an opportunity for another character. I'm fine with crossover characters but he just didn't fit in

Shazam: C (herp derp)

this character is under the radar derpy, and he can't get in for squat but i duck his command grab on knockdown and it still hits me i just think he should be not so grounded i don't know...

Sinestro: B- (cool trait, one ball or 3 balls? see green lanter)

All he does is chuck balls, but his trait is uber cool and his axes and some of his normals. I wish his normals were a bit more interesting and varietied and useful like the rest of the cast and i wish that his zoning wasn't so snorishly boring. I am zoning bias

Solomon Grundy: I like grundy B+, he's scary though and i just jump away and mb b3 all game long. He's a good grappler type

Superman: (C+, has some good specials, like his trait, but, is reduced to 1 normal)

Pros: has some good specials

like his trait

Cons: has 1 useful normal, that is overpoweringly good and has no drawbacks, rather than a bunch of useful normals, each having a purpose and drawbacks

jump 2???

Synopsis: could have been a bit better designed i feel

Wonder Woman: B+ all the demo characters were really exciting

Pros: so many cool tools 2 stances

-lots of good normals and specials

Cons: broken as SHIT in the corner and always at advantage even after that divebomb
-she should use the whip for more
-not sure i like her shoulder charge

Synopsis: is ludicrous in the corner thanks to foxy, couldn't have foreseen crossup f3s...

Zatanna: B

I feel that she has a lot of cool tools but gets reduced to chuckin that projectile, teleporting and reversing your inputs to death. All those spells she could have had, think she could have been the coolest character ever, is cool, but not the coolest. She could have a spell projectile that gives buffs and debuffs

Zod: B+

instant airs are a broken mechanic and shut down characters, his trait shouldn't be able to come out nearly as frequently. Regardless has a ton of tools and that is why i main him

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Lol, Bane B?

The dude has become a gross mass of fucked up armoured tools to the point where him being a grappler is like " oh well, let's just give him a command grab too and call it a day"

He has gone from grappler to just fuck everyone and everything.

Also, Joker C-.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Lol, Bane B?

The dude has become a gross mass of fucked up armoured tools to the point where him being a grappler is like " oh well, let's just give him a command grab too and call it a day"

Also, Joker C-.
What kind of idiot calls him a grappler? He is a brawler/striker who happens to have a command grab.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Bane is an awful design imo. Armour is used so poorly, they just stuck armour on everything and that was it. His trait is fucked up, how can he get over 20 seconds of armour and free button mashing for the comparatively tiny amount of time on debuff?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What kind of idiot calls him a grappler? He is a brawler/striker who happens to have a command grab.
In the first build he was a grappler. He was supposed to open you up with grabs, that was his gameplan, that's the reason his debuff was increased and same with his damage. Vanilla bane was a grappler and he evolved into a disgusting armoured mess with a command grab to compliment.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Bane is an awful design imo. Armour is used so poorly, they just stuck armour on everything and that was it. His trait is fucked up, how can he get over 20 seconds of armour and free button mashing for the comparatively tiny amount of time on debuff?
I won't defend your opinion, but I'll defend your right to have it. I agree to a point, but banes character design IS unique, and I personally enjoy the game it opens up on opponents where they have to be smarter and know more than the bane to have an even shot.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
In the first build he was a grappler. He was supposed to open you up with grabs, that was his gameplan, that's the reason his debuff was increased and same with his damage. Vanilla bane was a grappler and he evolved into a disgusting armoured mess with a command grab to compliment.

Vanilla bane was a shitbag, then the dash let him become a grappler, then the venom changes let him become a monster.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I like Doomsday's design. He's big and scary fast and ruthless, I thought that was pretty well covered in his game play. It can't be a good adaptation of DD if he's just really easy to keep out and keep off of you, when he's wrecking shop in the comics or other DC media he doesn't give you a chance to catch your breath

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I like Doomsday's design. He's big and scary fast and ruthless, I thought that was pretty well covered in his game play. It can't be a good adaptation of DD if he's just really easy to keep out and keep off of you, when he's wrecking shop in the comics or other DC media he doesn't give you a chance to catch your breath
I think DD would've been better if his damage reflected his usual character. Dude gets like sub-GA damage totals for the same price.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I think DD would've been better if his damage reflected his usual character. Dude gets like sub-GA damage totals for the same price.
That was my gripe as well, but if you give him high damage then he can't be as stupidly mobile as he is, which I think is the best part about him

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
That was my gripe as well, but if you give him high damage then he can't be as stupidly mobile as he is, which I think is the best part about him
Tell that to Bane. Honestly I would've been perfectly okay with a DD who did more damage on combos and stayed as mobile.

Lol, Bane B?

Also, Joker C-.
if you like a character that does not need footsies and you like to mindless rush down with the "i hope this hits" mentality and "if it doesn't ohhh well" bane is your character.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Tell that to Bane. Honestly I would've been perfectly okay with a DD who did more damage on combos and stayed as mobile.
Bane got muddled up along the way through all the patches. He doesn't need to be as mobile as he is if he's going to have 9000% combos that are 6 inputs long lol

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Bane got muddled up along the way through all the patches. He doesn't need to be as mobile as he is if he's going to have 9000% combos that are 6 inputs long lol
Haha Ikr? Not even 6 inputs.

Our longest is
113 xx MB b.3 j.2 123 RT

If you count directions in the inputs and strings as one as well, we pretty much have 5 link strings that dish out about 74%

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Haha Ikr? Not even 6 inputs.

Our longest is
113 xx MB b.3 j.2 123 RT

If you count directions in the inputs and strings as one as well, we pretty much have 5 link strings that dish out about 74%
Mother of God...

NRS created a monster. lol

if you like a character that does not need footsies and you like to mindless rush down with the "i hope this hits" mentality and "if it doesn't ohhh well" bane is your character.

agreed but is design is unique and interesting and i feel that a lot of characters can exploit his weaknesses

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Vanilla bane was a shitbag, then the dash let him become a grappler, then the venom changes let him become a monster.
Tier lists is one thing, character design another.

Venom was meant as a check for Bane. You do HELLA more damage prepatch ( I remember lvl 3 venom doing basic meterless bnbs at 52-56% ), your command grabs are on Zangief lvl of damage and exact same oki setups. Then because he wasn't as good he got nerfed damage and buffed everything else, the grab remained though.

Lol, Bane B?

Also, Joker C-.

I got tired by time joker came up, your probably right he is so unviable and the only the that makes him viable is stupid filthly ugly resets

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
Catwoman Mix up is Good
Catwoman b3 is Great because it can dodge mids and highs

Catwoman j2 is great

Her corner game is great. One of the best

Her j1 is positive 21

Her combo game is great

She can mb catdash through two projectiles instead of 1

The only thing wrong with her is her mobility speeds and her frames. Because this suppose to be a rushdown character