What's new

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Saw this on sale in the PS store, gonna go to Gamestop and get a hard copy. This will be my first time playing a Guilty Gear game. I hate to jump in the middle of franchises that have been out for so long.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Game is great so far.

Really enjoying Ky Kiske again, and I'd love to try out Millia. Dame shame my main, A.B.A, didn't make it in.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Wassup son
Hey man how you living? Come see me in Xrd, I'll let know know when I'm gonna hit GU some friday soon.

So far i've played with half the cast, and I'm terrible with the new characters so on principal I'm gonna go with Elphelt and Sin (or Leo or Ramlethal). I need to get @imblackjames into this game so he can be the best Ram ever. She's so his character.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
Heck yes man, I'm always ready for guilty gear! Please keep us informed here of any online and offline tournaments for Xrd that the NRS crowd might not know of.

I can't wait to delve into the game, my internet is janky at home at the moment so I'm waiting for an American disc and a new router to come in the mail. When those are both out I am gonna be hitting up everyone on here who wants to play and learn the game.

Quick question: are people playing it at GU yet? I'll be there on fridays with Xrd once I've got it, and hopefully I can come sooner if there is already a scene.
A lot of people are playing it at Game Underground, actually! There are casuals pretty much every Friday, from ~7:00 p.m. to ~2:00 a.m. We will start doing weekly tournaments on those nights as well, and the Saturday monthlies should start up again in 2015.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
Some more help for those who are starting to play Guilty Gear (which has now been released both in Japan and North America). This post has the button layouts, some basic training recommendations, a link with basic combos, and a rundown of the DLC options and release dates.

First, the button layout: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/images/8/89/GGXRD_Controls.png

Type A is the original arcade layout, and the one most tournament players use, including myself. I like to think of it as curving up from the bottom left the top light, in order of lightest/quickest to heaviest/slowest, with Dust below. P/K/S/HS are not universally like that for the entire cast, but it is generally so. Additionally, the chain system tends to use this order, although chains are particular to each character. There's no obligation to use any particular layout – all of the types in the image that I linked to above are even available in the arcade version! If you use pad, the Default setting is the one typically used, and you might want to set the some of the in-game macros to shoulder buttons.

I recommend checking out the in-game Tutorial, Challenge, and Mission modes to get a basic understanding of the game and it's mechanics. Please note that you can change the Button Display to show P/K/S/HS/D instead of the PlayStation buttons. Also, please note that you can view a demo of what you're trying to do in these modes by pausing and going to "Sample", or setting a button to "Play" and pressing that button. The Dustloop wiki is also very helpful for understanding everything: http://tinyurl.com/xrddlwiki. Another important resource is the videos of top players and Japanese arcade play online. You can search on YouTube, check the Dustloop forums, or check the awesome, searchable Keep on Rockin' database: http://keeponrock.in/match/search_form#content.

IMPORTANT: Until you're familiar with how recovery works, if you are practicing combos in training mode, set Recovery to Backwards and set Stun Recovery to Quickest Possible! After certain points, it can be possible to tech in the air, or recover from stagger, so these settings allow you to make sure that your combos will really work, basically.

Beyond that, it's definitely a good idea to try out your character's moves, see what movement options they have, and start determining their strengths and weaknesses in general. Please note that forward+P is almost universally an anti-air with upper body invulnerability, crouch+D is usually a sweep, and neutral+D is a universal overhead. Learning to implement these and knowing how to combo from all of them (if possible) is very important.

Learning some basic combos, and then figuring out how to arrive at opening up your opponent to land those combos would be good as well, of course. Here are some basic combos for all characters: http://www.youtube.com/user/4GamerMovie/search….

Lastly, I've summarized the DLC info:

The DLC is cross-platform between PS3 and PS4, meaning that if you buy it for one system, you will have access to it through your account on the other.

The game itself is NOT cross-platform, so separate versions must be bought if you'd like to have it for both systems.

DLC between the North American version of the game and Japanese and Hong Kong versions does not work. In other words, you can't download Elphelt for free on NA PSN to be played on a copy of the game bought on JP PSN. You'll need to get DLC that corresponds, regionally, to whichever version of the game you have. (That said, I have heard that the HK and JP versions actually have interchangeable DLC.)

Sin can be unlocked for 200,000W$ in the game, or purchased online.

Elphelt is available as a free download for players with the North American version from 12/16/2014 until 1/5/2014. For those with the Japanese or Hong Kong version, she is available as DLC.

Leo will be available for purchase in North America from 12/23/2014. He's available for purchase in the JP and HK stores as of 12/16/2014.

North American DLC schedule:

Sin Kiske (Character) – 12/16/2014
Elphelt Valentine (Character) (FREE until 1/5/2015) – 12/16/2014
System Voices (all minus Leo Whitefang) – 12/16/2014
Leo Whitefang (Character) – 12/23/2014
Leo Whitefang System Voice – 12/23/2014
Character Colors [colors 7-12] (individual and bundles) – 12/23/2014
System Voice Bundle – 12/23/2014
Christmas Colors [color 13] (FREE from 12/23/2014-1/13/2015) – 12/23/2014
PSN Avatars – 12/23/2014
PlayStation®Plus Colors [color 14] (available 1/13/15-2/10/15) Free for PS+ subscribers – 1/13/2015

As of 12/18/2014, all of the DLC is available on Japanese PSN, except for the PlayStation Plus colors (which I understand will be available from 1/8/2015 to 2/5/2015) and the avatars (as far I could tell).

For anyone who missed it, here's the initial post with a FAQ and all that I put up before (which I recently edited to include some of the information that I provided in this post): http://testyourmight.com/threads/guilty-gear-xrd-sign.32706/page-6#post-1536690

I hope you all find this useful. If you have any questions, please feel free to post up. GUILTY GEAR!

Law Hero

Never been much of an anime game player, so these jump cancels into air dashes are killing me.

Millia is fun to play though, just wish I had better execution for this stuff.

Law Hero

Oh man, my brother recently picked up Sin and every time he does 236HS everyone in the room yells, "HOOOOAAAHHHH" since he was an Aquaman main.

mfkaoz

Banned
I told myself that I wouldn't pay $60 for this game so when I saw that it's on sale for $24 right now on PSN I jumped on that shit. Anyone here still play?

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
How's Chipp? I was thinking about Ky too since he's always been one of my favorite GG characters.
He's really good. Pretty much plays the same game hes always played, and does good damage in the corner. Ky is okay. He does a lot of damage.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Chip is good and so is Ky. The balance patch that's in the works buffed Ky and a few others while nerfing some problematic characters. I feel bad for Zato players.

I need to play this game more often on psn, but I lack people who want to play it on a consistent basis. Need to find some players in the NY area. Preferably the long Island area.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Chip is good and so is Ky. The balance patch that's in the works buffed Ky and a few others while nerfing some problematic characters. I feel bad for Zato players.

I need to play this game more often on psn, but I lack people who want to play it on a consistent basis. Need to find some players in the NY area. Preferably the long Island area.
Zato players will be fine. It's Millia players that I feel bad for.