What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I kinda like Fangs

does a little more damage which makes the high-aggro style of constantly setting up for tick throws and abusing your armor that much more satisfying and that chip damage is pretty hot too

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Hey guys, is it just me or is it harder to hit some of Goro's combos on the females? I've specifically noticed it on Mileena, Kitana, and Cassie. The timing seems a lot stricter for some BNBs like B1U22, run kancel, B1U22, F3, MB Punchwalk, F3, Shokan grab. Maybe it's just me but it's something I've been noticing while playing. Could it be smaller hit boxes?

Hope we don't need to start making gender specific combos lol

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Hey guys, is it just me or is it harder to hit some of Goro's combos on the females? I've specifically noticed it on Mileena, Kitana, and Cassie. The timing seems a lot stricter for some BNBs like B1U22, run kancel, B1U22, F3, MB Punchwalk, F3, Shokan grab. Maybe it's just me but it's something I've been noticing while playing. Could it be smaller hit boxes?

It looks like is a bit harder to land the combos on them, but so far everything I tried on the male characters also works on the females.
They have smaller hitboxes...some males have small hitboxes too, like Kung Lao

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
It looks like is a bit harder to land the combos on them, but so far everything I tried on the male characters also works on the females.
They have smaller hitboxes...some males have small hitboxes too, like Kung Lao
Cool so I'm not insane. I guess I'll just have to get the timing down for smaller hit box characters.

RYX

BIG PUSHER

Goro doesn't like hitting women

RYX

BIG PUSHER
so what Goro's shaping up to be;

- Tigrar for trading with zoners and frame traps

- Kuatan for footsies and short/mid-range screen control and setting up for his EX pound's free damage

- Dragon Fangs for damage and rushdown

i'm ready

SPY

Noob
Hmm some weird stuff I came across: 21~x-ray vs blocking Reptile, if he uses reversal ExSlide, he will break x-ray armor for some reason.
Some people must know this, but if you true punish with any normal or string canceled intro command throw it will connect. It will not connect if you are hiting them in neutral. On neutral it will connect only as part of the juggle.

Well.. either im doing something really wrong, or Goro really sucks. He just gets locked into block strings he has no hope of getting out of without meter. All the top tiers destroy him because he has no answer to their pressure.

regulas

Your Emporer
Well.. either im doing something really wrong, or Goro really sucks. He just gets locked into block strings he has no hope of getting out of without meter. All the top tiers destroy him because he has no answer to their pressure.
1: Remember you have a 5 frame poke that can be cancelled into throw which will connect on block.

2: EX punchwalk is the one of the best anti-presure tool in the game because with 2 armour points it's very tough to break past. Punhwalk is also decent at footsies as it often beats a lot of strings if you both attack at once.

3. Your throw at 7 frames is also one of the fastest moves especially because it's as good as a 6 frame normal on reversal, practice reversal timing (which is tight in MKX) and it becomes amazing.

4: Don't forget about things like techrolling

SPY

Noob
Interesting thing I come up with.
As I mentioned earlier, normal\string~command grab as true punish will combo, so Goro's D1~DBF3 becomes pseudo option select. If you punish with D1~DBF3 and time it right it will connect for 15%, but if they block it, it's standard Goro's tick throw setup(14%).

regulas

Your Emporer
So quick Goro guide since his playstyle doesn't always mesh with a lot of people I wanted to write up a basic overview. I'm not a pro or anything though so please let me know where I'm horribly wrong. Goro is a bit unusual in that he is a specials oriented character relying far less on normals then many characters, furthermore with irony his best normals are mostly kicks, single hit moves that have good properties and can be cancelled into better specials.

Tigrar
Punchwalk - Universal move, good at footsies, or just good to cancel literally anything and everything into, it's fast and safe and often beats out enemy attacks.
EX however makes this one of the best moves in the entire game. You don't just get armour, you get two hits of armour. That is godlike as very few characters can deal with this, use this as a tool during your opponents pressure and you'll turn there attempt to attack into 27% for you, equally good on wake-up or any other situation. Best used when your opponent is already attacking for guaranteed hit.
It's very important to practice landing your combo's after this move as it will be one of your most common starters.

Shokan Grab - Best grab in the entire game. 7 frames means that when you train yourself to use it right it is just unstoppable. It often makes a great reversal move (practice reversal timing), or it can be ticked into with one of your 5 frame pokes. Also has the best damage for combo enders.

Stomp - Meh, it's not terrible but it's slow enough that without EX it's only usable in special situations. EX is ok but nothing really too special even then so mostly it's just a suprise move to pull out randomly to keep people on there toes. You can use it to end corner combo's for garunteed damage though so long as you cancell into it while your opponent is juggled.

Flame Ball - It's high but is other wise a solid projectile, It's reasonably good frame data (on par with most zoners) and higher damage then most projectiles means you do very well in trades. High however is it's great weakness. EX Fires three mostly used to try and finish out a match. Best use is just to help build meter.

Low Fireballs - Despite there slow startup they otherwise have good frame data. Super safe on block and very fast recovery they actually have very fast overall frame data (just try spamming in practice mode and it may surprise you how quickly you can fire them). Still there fixed locations make them tricky to land. There are limited mix-ups with them but like with Flame ball in great part it's for pressure and building meter, also usefull on sliders.
EX can let you combo but it's a bit limiting and impossible to guarantee so probably best to avoid ex.

Dragon breath - A tool for maintaining pressure and spacing, though only some strings can be cancelled into it safely (a few frame traps too). I find that it's range is a bit too awkward to make good footsies. It should be used whenever you can do so safely, however this can be sparring.

Best Normals (note others are very usable but increasingly situation, notably anti-airs I havnt included yet). His punches are generall not included because either they have horrifyingly bad range or they are just really slow, and in most cases you would be better just Cthrow or Punchwalking.

F3 Fast footsies move cancallable
4 It's a high but is ok speed good reach footsies move. Use when you don't want to move forward. also it's a safe frametrap if cancelled into flamebreath
B4 Sweep, decent speed
D1 5 frame poke Mid, Best option for tick throws on block since it's more likely they will block this then the low
D3 5 frame poke Low, best option to counter pressure, poke and punchwalk and if they were trying to attack they won't be able to block before the punchwalk (due to it being beyond human reaction speed). Safer then tick throws but more likely to deal only chip dmg
3D3 Anti armor move, use especially as an anti wake-up tool. Gives combo in corner
f21b2 Slow start-up, can't be cancelled but covers a good chunk of ground and is 0 on block. Best followed up with a throw/tick-throw. F2 or F21 are also great for being very cancellable even into slow moves like flame breath and low fireball
21 it's a slowish high starter but is extremely cancellable into flame breath or anything else safely.

Last edited:

SPY

Noob
So quick Goro guide since his playstyle doesn't always mesh with a lot of people I wanted to write up a basic overview. I'm not a pro or anything though so please let me know where I'm horribly wrong. Goro is a bit unusual in that he is a specials oriented character relying far less on normals then many characters, furthermore with irony his best normals are mostly kicks, single hit moves that have good properties and can be cancelled into better specials.
exPW gives you easy 29% combo: exPW-njp-f21~dbf3
exSG
gives you ability to choose direction of the throw, just like Sheeva's exGrab&Punch.
Stomp - as I disscused with you, it's 50\50, unless in corner.
exLowFB close version is easy comboable, +8 on block. EXdb4-b2-walk-f3~dbf3 27%.
DB just as LowFB don't have safe blockstring cancels, only frametraps. It's range is ok. You can play footsies with it pretty well - just buffer d4~bf2 out of their range when you think they will throw normal, walk or run in, for a free +13\+18 advantage. You can do same thing with close LowFB.
4 is ok, plus have good cancel advantage, but it's High and as far as I remember correctly it have worse combo scaling than f3.
Im not sure about "if they were trying to attack they won't be able to block before the punchwalk (due to it being beyond human reaction speed)" part. If you hit them with d3 then they are at disadvantage, but opponent will be in blockable stun, so they will able to block PW if you cancel intro it. If they block d3 then you still have enough cancel advantage for PW to connect in time, but that will be just a frametrap, they will be able to armor through it.
3d3 just have better combo options in corner. Cancel it mid screen to something like exPW for a combo(3d3~EXbf4-f3~dbf3 30%). It's not cancelable on block!
21 is High, Overhead with 9f startup, 0f on block. Slightly more range than b12u2 string, no gaps, good cancel advantage. Probably best Goro's jip block string.
I looking forward for a full guide.

Last edited:

SPY

Noob
Alright guys, what's our best punish normals-wise?
b12u2 mid, very short range, but leads to best damage. 0 on block. Have around 7 frame gap.
21 high, overhead. More range than b12u2. 0 on block.
121 high, mid,mid. Looks like a tiny bit more range than 21. Build more meter on block than 21. Harder to hit confirm than 21. Less cancel advantage than 21. 0 on block.
f3 mid. Most reach out of all. Poor cancel advantage(potential 7f gaps on block). 0 on block.
d1 mid. Fastest of all, 6\7 frame punisher. For more about it. -5 on block.

Status
Not open for further replies.