What's new

Getting Destiny? Join the TYM Destiny group!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Dude, you can get the free upgrade through Xbox.com the second you buy the digital version. By doing that, it's in your transaction history indefinitely. It never expires that way. ;)
Can you do that with PSN too? I probably wont have bought a PS4 by January.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
It took me a while to get the basics of this game down, but am loving it.
there is so much I love and hate about it.
I fucking love warlock, I love magic and shit
what's the most broken PvP gun?
Am looking for something to take me back to cod Black ops galil l0l
I love the map designs
How do fusion rifles work?
I got a few ones, seem to be decent by the stats.
am so clueless

am level 8 or 9 warlock.
I need someone to do strike missions with, haven't done any yet :(
Would be nice to have someone holding my hand on crucible l0l
Sure I'd be down for strike missions or crucible. They just added some new pvp modes I want to check out tomorrow. I went ahead and made 1 of each class so now it's : Lvl 18 Titan, Lvl 10 Warlock, Lvl 8 Hunter. My PSN is : Saboteur-6

A simple guide to understanding why people are “hating” on Destiny:
Bungie’s PR. When asked on numerous occasions how long it would take to complete the story, Bungie would not say. Did they know how long it would take? Of course. Then said that we may “never truly finish it.” Actual time for story: 6-12 hours.

Size Matters. Over the last year Bungie has said that this game would be bigger than anyone can imagine, hyping the scale on numerous occasions. In reality, the scale is smaller than almost all similar games like Borderlands.

DLC in advance. Going along with the sparse content, it’s clear that large portions of this game were left out for future DLC. This is the result of preordering, and is a cute way of making us pay more for the game. See every other thread on DLC for more.

Release Embargo. They had a clear choice, they could either allow reviewers early access to the servers in time for a review before release, as almost all AAA games do, or they could not. They chose to put the servers up less than 24 hours prior to release. This speaks volumes to their fear of potential bad reviews. They are forcing people to follow the hype, or make an informed decision by waiting- many of us mind being manipulated. Even if you’re enjoying the game; this should bother you.

Required Pre-order to play Beta. Not too many seem to mind this much directly, since you could cancel afterward; but I assure you all, the consequences to this will be felt for years to come. Because thanks to the financial success that this game has had, we can now expect to have to pre-order for Beta access going forward. Congrats everyone- we did it.

Story Buildup. They just recently compared their story inspiration to…and I’m not kidding, Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. When nearly zero story presented itself during the Beta, people gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed that they took some out. In reality- there is no story. A cool $20 goes to anyone that can sum it up with a straight face.

You may not agree with all of the above, but even staunch defenders cannot defend all of it. Bungie/Activision marketing is the real problem here. In trying to appeal to every type of gamer, they have pissed off quite a few for not living up to the expectations that they set.

No one can deny that the game is gorgeous, and that the shooting mechanics are great- but everything else they sold was not accurate.
A good rule for business and life: Under promise, and over deliver.They have done just the opposite.

Juffalo

Noob
So is there any way to veto crucible maps ? I think I played bastion 7/8 rounds yesterday and I'm really tired of these mars landscapes...

Juffalo

Noob
What do the grimiore cards even do?
dunno bruh, visit bungie.net for more info

edit: ok I googled it

"Attained by completeing in game missions, these collectable cards give you Glimmer and a new details about the story."

So maybe if you collect all the grimoire cards there might actually be a story ? Probably won't do anything to help Dinklage's terrible written dialogue lines.

Also, what the fuck is with that robot chick that appears randomly the first time you fight the vex ? I haven't finished the story yet (about to do the last mission I think) but just wondering if anything ever makes sense.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
dunno bruh, visit bungie.net for more info

edit: ok I googled it

"Attained by completeing in game missions, these collectable cards give you Glimmer and a new details about the story."

So maybe if you collect all the grimoire cards there might actually be a story ? Probably won't do anything to help Dinklage's terrible written dialogue lines.

Also, what the fuck is with that robot chick that appears randomly the first time you fight the vex ? I haven't finished the story yet (about to do the last mission I think) but just wondering if anything ever makes sense.
she appears on the moon and at the end too

mfkaoz

Banned
The story is almost becoming a chore at this point lol. I'm almost done with Venus and I'm just trying to run through the story so I can hop on pvp.

mfkaoz

Banned
The more I play through story mode the more bland I'm realizing this game is. All the missions are basically the same. Especially the patrol missions.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
The more I play through story mode the more bland I'm realizing this game is. All the missions are basically the same. Especially the patrol missions.
Yeah exactly. I actually hadn't been following the development of Destiny because I hadn't been excited for Halo for a long time. With everyone buzzing about it though and with Destiny being a brand new IP, I decided to take the plunge (big fan of the genre too). To be fair I think the PREMISE is compelling (though you could debate about it being pretty stock sci-fi) it's the narrative execution that's left such a disjointed, repetitive, and sour taste in people mouths.

In short, I think people were expecting a little more "Mass Effect-esque" expansive narrative than what they got.

TL;DR - Bungie is still good at what it does best - Tight FPS combat mechanics and fun competitive multiplayer. If you're hoping for more outside of that though you probably will be disappointed.

Last edited:

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
I think the game is fine but Bungie sorta fucked up on content release. They are doing the whole "release game and then put shit in weekly" like a mmo sort of deal which in the long run is awesome but on release will have people dropping due to no interest. I'm loving the game and I'm going to keep with it cause I know it can only get better.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
It's just poorly executed. I wasn't hype for this game until I learned that it had mmorpg elements so I went into it thinking it would be like Borderlands. It is, but a really barebones version of Borderlands.
I hear you. I mean for me, Destiny has more replay value because of the various multiplayer modes but Borderlands 2 has a better written / realized story and iconic characters. I don't know how many times playing Destiny I thought to myself "Man, I wish Claptrap would show up and dropkick this annoying fucking Ghost back to his Traveler butt buddy." I mean if I'm going to get 90% of story exposition while waiting on my robot sidekick to open doors and shit I'd actually like it to not be PHYSICALLY RAGE INDUCING with it's lameness!

THANKS BRO!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I think the game is fine but Bungie sorta fucked up on content release. They are doing the whole "release game and then put shit in weekly" like a mmo sort of deal which in the long run is awesome but on release will have people dropping due to no interest. I'm loving the game and I'm going to keep with it cause I know it can only get better.
See I've been there before though with the game Defiance. There's A LOT of similarity and overlap to the "evolving content" type of design. Bungie probably has more muscle than Trion but still, I'm just skeptical on the "oh don't worry we're going to add a bunch of cool shit as the game evolves" when the stuff ALREADY in the game is executed pretty mediocore overall.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Despite the game's shortcomings, I'm still enjoying it. But I don't play it as much as I did the first two days. I blew through the story and hit 20 in two days.

Now I'm almost 23 and doing bounties and Strikes to try and get gear. But I can only do a few before I lose interest because when you spend a few hours doing Strikes and get nothing from them, it's kinda discouraging.

I'm all too familiar with games that require grinding and don't mind them. But the grind in this game is on a whole different level.

I really hope raids are worth it considering how hard they're supposed to be.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Yeah it's not bad...I think the 6-7/10 reviews are pretty right on. Destiny has some strengths and it does some crucial things really well. It's just that the weaknesses are blatant and bring the game down as a whole.

Last edited:

Spletty

Grandmaster
thought id enjoy the single player/story more than pvp but I'm definitely on the pvp hype train. feels like they just have the exploration part to add diversity to the pvp. i really hope they actually do add more content like they are saying, like complete planets or something.