What's new

Question Gauging interest for Side MK9 Tournament at EVO Streamed by Pig of the Hut?

IF YOU ARE GOING TO EVO: Would you enter a MK9 Side tournament Streamed by Pig of the Hut?

• Total voters

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
You should make it a low/midtier tourney. No Nets, No Gas Blasts, No Cartwheels, No Smoke Bombs, No Blindfolds, no fans... no b.s.
This never works - if you cut out the top 10%, then there will be a new top 10%.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Thats a great way to get no one to watch the stream.
they dont deserve to watch then because in this case it would be a way to enhance the competition and create what could be a very large pot to go to the players...

can you not afford $5 to support a hype tournament... Potentiality hours upon hours of entertainment...

#cheapassbastards

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
they dont deserve to watch then because in this case it would be a way to enhance the competition and create what could be a very large pot to go to the players...

can you not afford $5 to support a hype tournament... Potentiality hours upon hours of entertainment...

#cheapassbastards
You sir sound like a politician.

#GimmeDatMoney

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
You sir sound like a politician.

#GimmeDatMoney
the money goes to the players who are at EVO playing in the MK9 tourney...

I sound like I know what im talking about..

1,717 members on this site have VIEWED this thread.. If everyone of of those people even paypal'd or gofundme.com'd just $1 even we would have an awesome pot let alone $5 to watch the whole event.

oh The poverty on tym

Ninj

1,717 members on this site have VIEWED this thread.. If everyone of of those people even paypal'd or gofundme.com'd just $1 even we would have an awesome pot let alone $5 to watch the whole event.

oh The poverty on tym
If we could crowdsource anything in the world then a lot of bigger problems than an MK9 Evo tourny would be solved. The problem is convincing people to do it.

Convince people it's worth $1 to donate and they will. Your idea is a good one - $1 donation drive for MK9 Evo side tourney. Give @AK Pig Of The Hut a cut of it for setting it up/running it ('cause that shit isn't easy) and get it front paged. I'd donate.

Edit: Get someone who everyone in the community (like STORMS maybe) trusts implicitly to hold the cash in their PayPal. This all shouldn't be too hard to figure out - make it painless for people, $1 donation through PayPal, and watch a hype ass tournament.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.

oh The poverty on tym

Oh no, you misunderstand.
I wasn't questioning your knowledge on the subject. I was just pointing out that it's no longer "donating" when being forced to pay.
I don't donate to my cable provider for HBO.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

#cheapassbastards
Why the hell would I pay to watch a side tournament? These guys aren't trying to run a MK9 tournament for money, they are doing it for the love of the game. Trying to charge to watch the tournament will make it less hype because no one will want to watch.

Why the hell would I pay to watch a side tournament? These guys aren't trying to run a MK9 tournament for money, they are doing it for the love of the game. Trying to charge to watch the tournament will make it less hype because no one will want to watch.
You're missing the point. You're only thinking of your own viewership experience, they're doing it for the love of the game but you're not. He's stating that donating will increase hype and pot, and player incentive, and honestly 1-5 isn't much asking for people who travel and go to entertain you at tournaments, there should be no streams all together.

Smh. And it will be Pig doing this most likely off of his own 4G card, that's not free bruh.

And yes, it's a side tournament for a dead game, hence it needs more incentive if you want to have a healthy tournament.

Zoidberg747

You're missing the point. You're only thinking of your own viewership experience, they're doing it for the love of the game but you're not. He's stating that donating will increase hype and pot, and player incentive, and honestly 1-5 isn't much asking for people who travel and go to entertain you at tournaments, there should be no streams all together.

Smh. And it will be Pig doing this most likely off of his own 4G card, that's not free bruh.

And yes, it's a side tournament for a dead game, hence it needs more incentive if you want to have a healthy tournament.
It is not donating if you are forcing people to pay. You are talking about charging in order to watch the stream, not asking for donations. If people want to donate they should be able to, but I guarantee you a lot of people will not want to pay to watch a side tournament stream.

And its ridiculous to think any of them are traveling just for MY enjoyment. I am one of the biggest proponents of putting the players experience before the stream monsters. But I am just stating the hard truth that you will lose hella viewers if you try to make people pay to watch.

I would be fine if they didn't have a stream at all, Im just happy people are still supporting MK9. But I am not going to pay 5 dollars to watch people play it when I can go to my locals and play it myself.

It is not donating if you are forcing people to pay. You are talking about charging in order to watch the stream, not asking for donations. If people want to donate they should be able to, but I guarantee you a lot of people will not want to pay to watch a side tournament stream.

And its ridiculous to think any of them are traveling just for MY enjoyment. I am one of the biggest proponents of putting the players experience before the stream monsters. But I am just stating the hard truth that you will lose hella viewers if you try to make people pay to watch.

I would be fine if they didn't have a stream at all, Im just happy people are still supporting MK9. But I am not going to pay 5 dollars to watch people play it when I can go to my locals and play it myself.
lol

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26

again another dickhead comment that offers NO constructive criticism or a solution.
You're just shooting down the idea of the MK9 pot actually getting big enough for the players involved (or for players who might be on the fence in entering it) to get hype to play in

Zoidberg747

again another dickhead comment that offers NO constructive criticism or a solution.
You're just shooting down the idea of the MK9 pot actually getting big enough for the players involved (or for players who might be on the fence in entering it) to get hype to play in
Heres an idea: Start a donation drive for the pot. Let people donate however much they want to donate. Then have a completely free to watch stream. Not only are you getting money from the one's who wanted to donate in the first place, you also get more viewers from people who wouldn't want to pay in the first place. Everyone wins.

ORRRRR if you want to make things really interesting, you can do a character auction tournament. Whoever pays the most for a character gets to play them, all money goes to the pot.

OR OR OR you could do a low tier tournament, which would probably give more of an incentive to donate since we wouldn't be paying to see Kabal vs. Cyrax etc.

P.S. you might want to find a few new insults. It looks kind of silly calling people dickheads three posts in a row. Just a little "constructive criticism".

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I would totally donate towards the MK9 pot. I would also pay to watch the stream.

However, I do understand and agree with @Zoidberg747 as well. Ever find yourself in an interesting site, click to view something, but then you're hit with a "pay only $0.99 for a life membership" or something like that? It's like, yeah, I have the money, but psychologically, it turns me off or makes me pause, and that will be the effect that forcing people to pay would have on a stream like this, especially given that it is only a side tournament and some people have shitty internet connections that cause lag in streams. Naturally, it will have less views, and as fans, we want as many people watching as we can!

That said, he can add some ads for revenue, if need-be, and we can indeed have a donation thread that goes towards the pot.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Ok lets do a reality check

1. You would have to have twitch set up a one time pay service for the event, which im not sure they even do anymore, and if they do they wouldnt for a tournament that isnt even official and will have like 500 viewers max.

2. Very few people pay for streams. Even MLG offers a free option on its biggest events.

Lets get back to talking about the tournament and drop this weird ass discussion

Ninj

I would totally donate towards the MK9 pot. I would also pay to watch the stream.

However, I do understand and agree with @Zoidberg747 as well. Ever find yourself in an interesting site, click to view something, but then you're hit with a "pay only $0.99 for a life membership" or something like that? It's like, yeah, I have the money, but psychologically, it turns me off or makes me pause, and that will be the effect that forcing people to pay would have on a stream like this, especially given that it is only a side tournament and some people have shitty internet connections that cause lag in streams. Naturally, it will have less views, and as fans, we want as many people watching as we can!

That said, he can add some ads for revenue, if need-be, and we can indeed have a donation thread that goes towards the pot.
The way I was viewing this potential side tournament is one that is for people who want to watch MK9 - not to gain viewers/bring new people into the game. If people watch it and like it who don't know MK9, great, but what I was thinking is that it would be basically this:

-A list of the players who have committed to being part of this (this would need to be completed in the next couple of days to build brackets)
-Information about stream equipment - most likely 4G streaming will be capable (but understand that it IS in a hotel room, in Vegas, where people are no doubt using the internet quite heavily)
-Information about how the tournament will be structured (payouts, 2/3 until GF 3/5, etc)
-An 'ask' for donations of $1 from those who intend on watching the stream (if you want to add more, great)
-Clauses just in case the tournament gets setup to go and things go awry, promising refunding of the money back to those who donated

If I held more clout in the community, I'd offer to manage the money end of it to simplify but I'm sure there are people willing to handle this if given a little notice.

This is a fun idea for the community to have a good time with some MK9 hype, upsets, and salt.

@AK Pig Of The Hut @G4S Claude VonStroke thoughts?