What's new

FRQ|Emperor Theo Wins Injustice at UFGT:X!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
but jupes beat fox the last two times with dat patience :p, but yeah fox offense be cray cray tho.
Haha he did, but lets be real -- Sonic has won more fighting game tournaments in more different games at his age than most people will win in a lifetime, without always playing the best character in said games :p

Edit: @AeroGrunt roflmao, Good game sir, good game indeed.

Congrats Theo. That was extremely solid and impressive play. You were the most patient player and it payed off. You outsmarted and outplayed everyone. So congrats on well deserved 1st place. :)

Props to 16-Bit for those amazing matches and comebacks though. His matches were the hypest. Plus you gotta love that popoff vs PL lol.

Haha he did, but lets be real -- Sonic has won more fighting game tournaments in more different games at his age than most people will win in a lifetime, without always playing the best character in said games :p

Edit: @AeroGrunt roflmao, Good game sir, good game indeed.
oh of course, he can be compared to "chris g" who does the same thing regularly by placing/ winning in multiple games. But i'm talking IGAU tho CS :p, and we got to go to the stats for this one:
SCR finals: Theo VS DJT
Winter Brawl Finals: KDZ vs Sonicfox
Final Round Finals: Sonicfox vs 16bit
Civil War finals: Jupiter vs Sonicfox
ECT Finals: Jupiter vs Sonicfox
UFGT finals: Theo vs King
out of these 6 finals, the more "patient" player has won 5 out of 6 times (DJT and THEO both super lame, so i'll just count it as theo being more patient :p), so we'll have to see what happens during the last half of the year.

TampaBison said:
'Aggressive' play styles

If you have been in the FGC for long, you've probably encountered that player who appears to be very confident in every thing they speak of. You can read this as confidence if you like but it can also be read as: Narcissistic, Cocky, Arrogant, etc.

These players tend have an aggressive, or (dare I say) disrespectful play-style. They want to make you look foolish and inferior. They will tend to pick characters that are either explosive (Cammy, Akuma, Oni) or characters that can be confusing (Blanka, Fuerte).

They won't necessarily always pick those characters however. These players want to dominate you, they want to be in full control all the time and don't want to be bothered with figuring you out... they want you to figure them out!

Against these players, it will probably be best to be the water to their fire and be the polar opposite of what they represent.

These players can be dangerous. They do not care who you are because they have already decided they are better than you. Keeping a cool head and understanding this can help you the most against them, because these players have the best chance at rattling you... unless you are 'confident' yourself.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/may/24/tampa-bison-players-project-their-personalities-their-characters-how-spot-and-adapt-most-common-play-styles-pools/

Words of wisdom by Tampa Bison right there. Theo's personality, character and playstyle are the perfect counter to cocky players like PL, King and Rico Suave. :)

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
oh of course, he can be compared to "chris g" who does the same thing regularly by placing/ winning in multiple games. But i'm talking IGAU tho CS :p, and we got to go to the stats for this one:
SCR finals: Theo VS DJT
Winter Brawl Finals: KDZ vs Sonicfox
Final Round Finals: Sonicfox vs 16bit
Civil War finals: Jupiter vs Sonicfox
ECT Finals: Jupiter vs Sonicfox
UFGT finals: Theo vs King
out of these 6 finals, the more "patient" player has won 5 out of 6 times (DJT and THEO both super lame, so i'll just count it as theo being more patient :p), so we'll have to see what happens during the last half of the year.
Is Theo actually more patient than DJT though, or does that matchup force GL to have to get in on one of the best defensive characters in the game?

I feel like DJT loves to be patient, but he doesn't have much choice in that MU.

Just like, playing MMH forces characters to try to get in on you in a lot of MUs while you zone and build meter.

Last edited:
Is Theo actually more patient than DJT though, or does that matchup force GL to have to get in on one of the best defensive characters in the game?

I feel like DJT loves to be patient, but he doesn't have much choice in that MU.
the matchup is actually life lead based. If GL has a good lead, he can sit back and force aquaman to make a move. If Aquaman gets a lead, he does the same thing. Also with theo vs djt, there both super patient so I can't use that as much of an example. But for the other things I listed, my point is backed up quite well.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
the matchup is actually life lead based. If GL has a good lead, he can sit back and force aquaman to make a move. If Aquaman gets a lead, he does the same thing. Also with theo vs djt, there both super patient so I can't use that as much of an example. But for the other things I listed, my point is backed up quite well.
It's still going to be slanted, because AM has tools that GL doesn't have. FTD can land at any distance, anywhere on the screen. Water shield is effective wherever. AM can trait out out of the first hit of a lot of offense, etc. He has a trident that sticks out well outside of his hurtbox. Those are excellent defensive tools that GL does not have. Despite the fact that AM will still have to make something happen if he's in the hole, he still has the tools to make it happen more safely; and I think that's been evidenced almost every time a top level GL plays a top level AM.

Take for example 16 bit and Sonic Fox. Let's take their mains out of the equation. Now say 16 Bit is playing MMH and Sonic Fox is playing Shazam. Would not 16 bit's patience reward him due to the matchup? Now reverse the characters.. Regardless of life lead, if the Shazam player tries to play the style that would have won him the match with MMH, he's going to lose.

If you're really honest, the matchups affect the playstyle, not just the players themselves.

@CrimsonShadow I get what u mean but u also have to account that even when a matchup requires more agression, u still can be patient and win (take for example djt vs the gauntlet of kabals at evo 2013)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
@CrimsonShadow I get what u mean but u also have to account that even when a matchup requires more agression, u still can be patient and win (take for example djt vs the gauntlet of kabals at evo 2013)
That's true. But there are also far more aggressive players that won more MK9 tournaments than DJT (and they were probably helped by the characters they chose).

I mean, Carl, as crazy as he is, won 2 straight EVOs (how many people can ever say they've done that?).

Overall, it seems like it comes down to both.

That's true. But there are also far more aggressive players that won more MK9 tournaments than DJT (and they were probably helped by the characters they chose).

Overall, it seems like it comes down to both.
But yeah it does come down to both of course, I was just saying as of right now, patience seems to be on top for this year.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Man, I almost died a few times during UFGT. It was really great to see so many moments where the crowd stood up to scream because they couldn't believe what they were seeing.

So many hype finishes, unexpected comebacks, clutch moments etc.

Last edited: