What's new

For Those Who Like To Write

ZAQ
MKillBill

Sorry to bother you again, but is there a way you can find out if uploading can be enabled for those who didn't post bad stuff, if that is the actual reason. We'd appreciate it. If not, then ok. :)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I feel like it might just be a problem with the site. Some features like the edit feature arent working properly.

Zoidberg747You're probably right Zoidberg. Got a writing question for you too. How do you feel about referencing objects, animals, and similar things found in our real world to the fantasy worlds we've created. For example, Mazzderrazz is filled with Frizzgars, Jazagga, Prynakinn, and other animals, but on a few occasions I have used similies that mention bats and moths. What do you or anyone else think about this?

Zoidberg747

Zoidberg747You're probably right Zoidberg. Got a writing question for you too. How do you feel about referencing objects, animals, and similar things found in our real world to the fantasy worlds we've created. For example, Mazzderrazz is filled with Frizzgars, Jazagga, Prynakinn, and other animals, but on a few occasions I have used similies that mention bats and moths. What do you or anyone else think about this?
I think it is good as long as you dont refer to them as bats and moths.
You can describe them so that the reader knows they are bats and moths, and still keep your names consistent.

JMO of course

Zoidberg747

To anyone reading: what are your opinions on all short chapters vs all (otherwise) lengthy chapters?

Lets say, for the example, that a short chapter is 6 or less pages.
The only time I could see it being a problem is when you constantly switch between long and short chapters. If you do long chapters but need a short one then you can do that, and if you do mostly short chapters but add in one really long one that is fine too.

I like to keep things somewhat consistent

Sage Leviathan

right now sage, i have reduced 15 chapters to 8 longer, and what i think are, more complete chapters. it made sense to me to do it only because i covered the same events in multiple chapters. i think the story is less confusing now. i honestly think you should stay in a chapter now until you've said what needs to be said, then move on. my opinion.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
To anyone reading: what are your opinions on all short chapters vs all (otherwise) lengthy chapters?

Lets say, for the example, that a short chapter is 6 or less pages.
If it fits within the narrative you've established, go right ahead. At one point I wanted to have a 3 word chapter. It'd have been fine within the narrative but I was advised against it after the story went some revisions.

Anyway, greetings. Self-published dude over here. Recently joined TYM after lurking way too damn much at work. The self-published work is in French, only 100 copies printed, with more than half of them sold (to be honest, I wanted 50 but I was convinced by one of my friends to up it to 75, and when the bill came in, the difference between 75 and 100 was like, 5 bucks, so I caved.) Still stuck with about 25 though :/

I've pretty much wanted to be a writer all my life. Enough to major in French literature and then get a certificate in Creative Writing to hone the craft a bit, as well as contributing fanfiction on absurdly shitty fandoms in addition to personal writing on various things. Right now I'm just working on some shit, not very far into it.

gamemk

thanks. you write too?

took a break.....actually gta5 kidnapped me. blew through story missions in less than 3 days. waiting for online. will try to get story finished. almost there.

gamemkHA. Duel is excellent. I enjoyed The Edge as well. Love the bear's expression on their first encounter. Rewound that a lot. IDK, i like love stories. Terminator had a great one. My next book is going to be a love story i think (if i ever wrap my current one up)....

Any progress from anyone? I'm back to finishing up my work. Renaming chapters and breaking things up better. The effects of gta5 have worn off quite a bit. All I'm doing is racing to get XP and money so i can hit level 99. Wouldn't be bad if there werent idiots constantly insulting each other every session, or those idiots who insist on playing their own music and even singing to it. It's enough to make anyone stop playing. Thanks for listening....feel better now.

Zoidberg747

Ive started 5 things and not gotten past 3-4 pages.

Still havent found an idea I can really stick with.

Zoidberg747

When i get a lot of good ideas at once, i think about how they can be combined to make something interesting. That's just me. I'm sure you'll make something good happen.

gamemk
What's the most original story you've seen out there. I know probably 99% of stuff is a clever retelling or borrows from something else. Can anything ever be considered new or never seen before?