What's new

EMPR CURBOLICIOUS Wins Mortal Kombat 9 at EVO & VXG Qualifier, Winter Brawl 7!

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
thats just not true. if i beat someone 10-0 online in good connection, im pretty sure im beating them offline too. online isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. you can definately prove how good you are online.

Even in good connections some things just mess it up like not being able to AA JIP, it's ridiculous.

Online can be okay, when it's 2 players respecting each other. Otherwise it's just "Oh, you hit me with a D4? Fuck you. *crossup*".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
thats just not true. if i beat someone 10-0 online in good connection, im pretty sure im beating them offline too. online isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. you can definately prove how good you are online.
It doesn't matter if you beat them 10-0 online. Despite the fact that netplay can often be lopsided, where one connection is better than the other (one player has a lot of delay where the other player doesn't), there's a lot of variables that come into play when playing online. Also, I've had some hellish lag spikes in SF4, where my opponent showed me the replay he recorded and he had no lag at all.

I suck online and I can't adapt to delay/lag like other people can. Some players regarded as the best in American in UMK3 would beat me convincingly online. And when I played them in tournament, I beat them 2-1, 2-0, etc. One of them even said to me that he now sees how much delay affected me and that I was a lot better than he thought.

The only way to prove you're better than another player is to play them offline. I didn't mean you can't prove you're good online, that was my mistake. You CAN tell that someone knows their shit if you play them online. But you can't say "I beat you online so I'm better than you", that is something you can only prove offline. That's why Curbo and the other online players that now do well in tournaments no longer get flack. They've proven themselves at tournaments.

It doesn't matter if you beat them 10-0 online. Despite the fact that netplay can often be lopsided, where one connection is better than the other (one player has a lot of delay where the other player doesn't), there's a lot of variables that come into play when playing online. Also, I've had some hellish lag spikes in SF4, where my opponent showed me the replay he recorded and he had no lag at all.

I suck online and I can't adapt to delay/lag like other people can. Some players regarded as the best in American in UMK3 would beat me convincingly online. And when I played them in tournament, I beat them 2-1, 2-0, etc. One of them even said to me that he now sees how much delay affected me and that I was a lot better than he thought.

The only way to prove you're better than another player is to play them offline. I didn't mean you can't prove you're good online, that was my mistake. You CAN tell that someone knows their shit if you play them online. But you can't say "I beat you online so I'm better than you", that is something you can only prove offline. That's why Curbo and the other online players that now do well in tournaments no longer get flack. They've proven themselves at tournaments.
okay well thats just you. You cant handle online as well as others, unlike me or people that train online like king and curbo. if i were to beat them online id be pretty confident i could beat them offline too.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
okay well thats just you. You cant handle online as well as others, unlike me or people that train online like king and curbo. if i were to beat them online id be pretty confident i could beat them offline too.
I'm not saying this isn't the case. If you beat them online you have a high chance of beating them offline. But beating them online doesn't guarantee that you WILL beat them offline, which is my point. Winning online doesn't prove you're better, that will only happen once you beat them offline.

And this is the exact reason tournament players don't like to play online only players. They think if they win online that it means they're better. Online only players really do take online too seriously.

I'm not saying this isn't the case. If you beat them online you have a high chance of beating them offline. But beating them online doesn't guarantee that you WILL beat them offline, which is my point. Winning online doesn't prove you're better, that will only happen once you beat them offline.

And this is the exact reason tournament players don't like to play online only players. They think if they win online that it means they're better. Online only players really do take online too seriously.
like who? who beats tournament players online then says they are better?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Online is a great tool for training if you use it properly.

This is constantly proven in MK9 tournaments. SonicFox, Curbo, Pig, Forever King, I think Noobe started playing online a lot, etc. If you learn the game based on how it works offline, then it becomes one of the best tools to getting better. You can't just play random people all the time, though...it requires you to build up a list of players who can be very helpful.

I think this will be further illustrated in Injustice, especially if the netcode is that much better. Online practice mode is huge.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
online and offline are obviously different. Online is a great tool for leveling up and learning matchups. The timings are a little different and you might not be able to AA or punish as easily as you would like to. To me that is just going to help offline once you tweak/tune your timing back to [offline mode] because you are going to be on the ball. I'm sick of people using the "oh online" cop out as well, its the same for both sides.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
online and offline are obviously different. Online is a great tool for leveling up and learning matchups. The timings are a little different and you might not be able to AA or punish as easily as you would like to. To me that is just going to help offline once you tweak/tune your timing back to [offline mode] because you are going to be on the ball. I'm sick of people using the "oh online" cop out as well, its the same for both sides.
Next time someone beats me offline im going say "whatever bro if this were online Id own you"

LOL just because it'd be funny and confusing

Dztrbed

Greatness ... You will Sucumb to the treachery
Online is useful and it's how a lot of players these days level up, and there's a lot of great players who play online. But until you prove it at tournaments like Curbo and the others, being good online only doesn't mean anything.
Online is the cornerstone of Competitive MK.... Suggesting that it doesnt matter is why most TYM'ers.... Fail @ life.... Offline scenes hardly prepare anyone for crossing the country to play @ HighLevels.... Therefore I suggest you all tone down the notion of ONLINE DOESNT MATTER or ONLINE SUKS bro... Because UNLESS you have a team whose only objective is Playing @ Highlevels Regardless of the circumstances, any complaints labels you a scrub/fgtnoop.

Stop the Complaining... Level Up... and come see the EMPERORS on the Battle Field ...Offline and Online ... any game you chose.. We'll be hear to cause HAVOC in Brackets regardless of the Barriers...

WE MAKE ONLINE MATTER fgtnoop

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Online is the cornerstone of Competitive MK.... Suggesting that it doesnt matter is why most TYM'ers.... Fail @ life.... Offline scenes hardly prepare anyone for crossing the country to play @ HighLevels.... Therefore I suggest you all tone down the notion of ONLINE DOESNT MATTER or ONLINE SUKS bro... Because UNLESS you have a team whose only objective is Playing @ Highlevels Regardless of the circumstances, any complaints labels you a scrub/fgtnoop.

Stop the Complaining... Level Up... and come see the EMPERORS on the Battle Field ...Offline and Online ... any game you chose.. We'll be hear to cause HAVOC in Brackets regardless of the Barriers...

WE MAKE ONLINE MATTER fgtnoop
Okay, I will play you guys in Injustice online. When I win, I won't say I'm better than you though, I will say GG's and move on.

Let's drop this though, this thread is dedicated to congratulating Curbo! Sorry for the derailment.

This thread is just causing a bunch of random online people to think it's just as good and they don't have to "prove" anything as Juggs and Pig state in an offline setting, it seems they don't take into account that maybe Curbo and Fox are is just talented players, and all these "online" players in tournament are getting offline training too. It's not strictly online. I think they're also confusing beating random online players = being good = being good offline just because Curbo and Fox succeed, Curbo and Fox also play offline players online.

It's a good resource to have though, but that's it.

Fox got 7th in DoA, and gets good showings in other games. Curbo is just Curbo. The original comeback kid.