What's new

Does 0.9999999 = 1?

Does .9999999 = 1?

• Total voters

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
A retard as well I see. The link was posted in this thread. But seeing you are so inept, I'll help you again:

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8b6966895b6673aa6b6c

I am not holding out any hope that you will understand much given your responses. :)

Look for the word Simpleton - it means you.
yea, you shouldn't trust online sources for mathematics on some random website. The very first line is wrong. Besides, the proof has no validity because it's missing the conditions necessary to prove that .99999.... = 1. Maybe you should keep looking, find a credible source, and not be ignorant

i only had to read one line to see that this 51 page "proof" is wrong. gg order of operations
Oh, do tell! Don't keep us all in suspense. I haven't managed to read minds yet. You have a mind, don't you?

1/3 =/= 0.333…
Because,
1/3 = 0.3(n times) + (1/3 x 1/10^n)
Now you do something really dumb, like set n=infinity and you get:
1/3 = 0.333… + (1/3 x 1/10^inf)
But even when you do stupid things with a well-defined definition, you can somehow recover:
Multiply both sides by 3:
1 = 0.999… + 1/10^inf
1 = 999…/10^inf + 1/10^inf = (999…+1)/10^inf = 10^inf / 10^inf
[Because 999... + 1 = 10^inf]
Therefore,
1 = 10^inf / 10^inf = 1
Amazing how hard it is to break well-defined concepts, isn’t it? :)
Now if 1/3 =/= 0.333..., well then how can 1 = 0.999... ?

yea, you shouldn't trust online sources for mathematics on some random website. The very first line is wrong. Besides, the proof has no validity because it's missing the conditions necessary to prove that .99999.... = 1. Maybe you should keep looking, find a credible source, and not be ignorant
Assertions only confirm that you are an idiot.

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
Assertions only confirm that you are an idiot.
I see that you only have a basic understanding of this concept of "infinity" and i GUESS i can see why you would think such a proof would be correct. Might I suggest that you first read a book on analysis, learn what the words limit, supremum, and convergence means. Next, learn what the concept of infinity is....INFINITY IS NOT A NUMBER. Once you've done that come back and we can have a civil discussion about this.

lol you are overcommitted to ad hominem arguments to prove math.
Seriously, if you cant see why the very first "well defined" line is wrong because of order of operations you need to take 10 minutes out of your day to go back to middle school and ask your 6th grade math teacher about this proof (mine was Mrs. Fink, she was really nice, i'm sure she'd teach you if you were willing to learn). That sets up the rest of the proof which will inevitably be invalid because the very first assumption is wrong.
Chris Thomas, stop responding to this kid, he's obviously fanatical about his need to be "right" when he doesnt understand that without an axiomatic base for understanding how to approach the problem, the answer is neither true nor false.

Flagg

Noob
Wikipedia has been proven as accurate as a traditional encyclopedia. It also sites references, unlike you.
The sources are the best part of wikipedia, but dont take everything written in the article as accurate. ANYONE can edit that. I've read science based stuff on there before, and some joker put in some trollish paragraph about Dave Batista the wrestler!

I see that you only have a basic understanding of this concept of "infinity" and i GUESS i can see why you would think such a proof would be correct. Might I suggest that you first read a book on analysis, learn what the words limit, supremum, and convergence means. Next, learn what the concept of infinity is....INFINITY IS NOT A NUMBER. Once you've done that come back and we can have a civil discussion about this.
Every new comment provides more evidence that you are an idiot. Of course infinity is not a number. Are you blind?

Seriously, if you cant see why the very first "well defined" line is wrong because of order of operations you need to take 10 minutes out of your day to go back to middle school and ask your 6th grade math teacher about this proof (mine was Mrs. Fink, she was really nice, i'm sure she'd teach you if you were willing to learn). That sets up the rest of the proof which will inevitably be invalid because the very first assumption is wrong.
Chris Thomas, stop responding to this kid, he's obviously fanatical about his need to be "right" when he doesnt understand that without an axiomatic base for understanding how to approach the problem, the answer is neither true nor false.
You making an assertion proves nothing. You claimed a mis-order of operations. Well, what are they?
I suspected your tiny brain may not have grasped the proof correctly, so I arranged it for a middle school boy:

1/3 =/= 0.333…
Because,
1/3 = 0.3(n times) + (1/3 x 1/10^n)
Now you do something really dumb, like set n=infinity and you get:
But even when you do stupid things with a well-defined definition, you can somehow recover:
Multiply both sides by 3:
1 = 0.999… + 1/10^inf
1 = 999…/10^inf + 1/10^inf = (999…+1)/10^inf = 10^inf / 10^inf
[Because 999... + 1 = 10^inf]
Therefore,
1 = 10^inf / 10^inf = 1
Amazing how hard it is to break well-defined concepts, isn’t it? :)
Now if 1/3 =/= 0.333..., well then how can 1 = 0.999... ?

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
The sources are the best part of wikipedia, but dont take everything written in the article as accurate. ANYONE can edit that. I've read science based stuff on there before, and some joker put in some trollish paragraph about Dave Batista the wrestler!
Flagg, I agree with you and usually there's risk involve by using a internet source of any kind. With that said, wikipedia and wolfram alpha are the best sources for math articles and encyclopedias. If one is wrong, there's a good chance the other is wrong as well

I always read Wikipedia first. :) Then I think about how I would have written the article and chuckle quietly.

Hey moron, my ancestors invented that word (axiom). Before you mouth off, know whom you are talking to. Stupid.

your reasons and logic add so much to this discussion, you are brilliant. i am in awe
I care little for your sarcasm. This is the third and final time I ask you to provide information on your perceived mis-order of operations.

Thus far you have not said anything. Have you? Talk about the math and save your bullshit.

Hey moron, my ancestors invented that word (axiom). Before you mouth off, know whom you are talking to. Stupid.
lol, oh i apologize grand master John Gabriel, illustrious mathematician of the internet. Obviously i should have known that your internet fame proceeds you. you're obviously ranked #1 online with no spam.
lol dat egomaniac

What I love about this site is that I can simply ignore comments I do not wish to read. A message to the effect "Show Ignored Content" is displayed. Nice!

The dimwits from Denton, TX are the first on my ignore list.