What's new

Does 0.9999999 = 1?

Does .9999999 = 1?

• Total voters

Flagg

Noob
Flagg, I agree with you and usually there's risk involve by using a internet source of any kind. With that said, wikipedia and wolfram alpha are the best sources for math articles and encyclopedias. If one is wrong, there's a good chance the other is wrong as well
For science, they are generally very good, as "wikipedia trolls" tend to focus more on stuff like celebrity stars, films, etc. In science articles I usually cross references the sources at the bottom, especially when I had to write reports and stuff whilst at Uni.

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
For science, they are generally very good, as "wikipedia trolls" tend to focus more on stuff like celebrity stars, films, etc. In science articles I usually cross references the sources at the bottom, especially when I had to write reports and stuff whilst at Uni.
I hear ya on that. I'm working on a thesis and i'm writing about black holes. I may have only used online sources as reading material if it looks good. It's always a hit-or-miss: either it's badass or it's just TERRIBLE

Flagg

Noob
I hear ya on that. I'm working on a thesis and i'm writing about black holes. I may have only used online sources as reading material if it looks good. It's always a hit-or-miss: either it's badass or it's just TERRIBLE
Wow black holes, that's pretty intense! I think the vast majority of research I used was digital, including most journals. I have some text books which of course you need to grasp the basics. Whats your thesis about?

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
Wow black holes, that's pretty intense! I think the vast majority of research I used was digital, including most journals. I have some text books which of course you need to grasp the basics. Whats your thesis about?
I am using the Einstein Field Equations to solve for stationary symmertic and axisymmetric black holes. The two in particular that i'm calculating in full depth are the Kerr metric and the Schwarzschild metric. They are very important in astrophysics and cosmology because they allow us to mathematically study processes of how star's are born, die, their life cycles, supernova's, etc. I have to do a thesis paper for my bachelors degree in physics so i'm currently using GR, Differential Geometry, and the Tetrad Formalism to come up with the system of nonlinear differential equations that are needed to solve them. There are in fact 4 metric's that are well know: Kerr, Kerr-Newman (most general), Schwarzschild, and Riessner-Nordstrom. After I solve them, i'll calculate the LaGrangian and Hamiltonian for the metric and use that to come up with geodesics. Basically, i'll be calculating how an object can orbit a black hole given a mass, angular momentum, velocity, and time. The math has been absolutely intense but it's been hell-a worth doing. Hopefully when I get into my master's or Ph.D. program I'd like to look at the interior of these black holes and use computer simulations to find an exact metric since most of them are unknown.

It's a shame that John Gabriel, and Chris Thomas are at logger heads cause you are both clearly educated men that are simply disputing this mathematical conundrum. Shame to see you guys flaming each other. Just my $0:02
Well, I invited him 3 times to set forth his argument, but he didn't have one in the end, only condescension and ad hominem. You can't say that I flamed him. Sorry.

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
Dude I'm sorry I came of as a dick but seriously there are 7 ways that I found that prove my point. The problem with your proof is that you tried to directly insert infinity into the equation you wrote down. Infinity is only a representation of the extent of the Real number set, its not a number.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
And your point is ...? Oh, you don't have one right? Oh sorry everyone... my name is John Gabriel. I am not a socialite so I did not come here to meet people or care to. Does anyone have a problem with this? If you do, please remove my comments and forgive my "impudence". :D
You some kind of maths genius then?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
The last thing anyone should rely on is "Trusting you". I am a mathematician. The true statement is that 0.999... =/= 1.
I don't have a problem with "mathematicians" except those idiots who think they are mathematicians because they earned a PhD in mathematics.
Thanks! Ha, ha. :) I really encourage you to study my article. Trusting others is not a good thing. In fact, I warn you about believing what I say or trusting in me. You have to verify that what I say is indeed true for otherwise how can you be sure?

Dont come to this site fishing for props mate, the lakes dry.
I have a question for you though...

What is 4RH equal to?
If you can't figure it out, then you're not a true mathematician..

aj1701

Noob
You some kind of maths genius then?
no, hes not as far as I an tell. google new calc and only find this wackjobs site claiming his new calc is also proprietary.

of course math cant be patented or anything, so he shows with that claim, and the statement that after hes dead no one can write him (as if posting that on a website has legal ramifications either) proves he also doesn't understand law.

no, hes not as far as I an tell. google new calc and only find this wackjobs site claiming his new calc is also proprietary.

of course math cant be patented or anything, so he shows with that claim, and the statement that after hes dead no one can write him (as if posting that on a website has legal ramifications either) proves he also doesn't understand law.
:) Are you in for a nasty surprise. You can copyright intellectual ideas. But how would you know? You are no intellectual!

Dude I'm sorry I came of as a dick but seriously there are 7 ways that I found that prove my point. The problem with your proof is that you tried to directly insert infinity into the equation you wrote down. Infinity is only a representation of the extent of the Real number set, its not a number.

You mean came off (two effs, not one) as a dick? Yes, I agree. Well, first off, I did not try to insert infinity and I provided a definition, not an equation. Setting n=infinity in the well-formed definition is what mathematicians (read as: mostly incompetent) do when they claim that 1/3 = 0.333... I was showing that they simply discard the term (1/3 x 1/10^inf). I agree that it's a dumb idea to assume infinity is some sort of number, but hey, Crank Georg Cantor started the fad and it has continued far too long. I figured the best way to destroy your god Cantor and expose him for the fraud that he is, would be by using his very own flawed ideas. What I have done is very sound in terms of logic. In fact, I don't know of anyone who knows or understands math better than I do. So when I do something like this, you should sit up and pay attention, rather than mouth off stupidity.

I read your other comment about differentials, black holes, etc. You should refrain from making a fool of yourself. Do you have any idea what is a differential? Provide a definition if you do, so that we can be certain.

aj1701

Noob
I did not say ideas, you imbecile! Intellectual ideas and property is copyrighted.
And once again, be careful what you believe on Wikipedia especially if you are not capable of critical thought as in your case.
Ideas are not copyright-able. Don't care if you think they are "intellectual" or not. And again, Wikipedia has been proven to be as accurate (if not more-so) than a standard encyclopedia. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

Intellectual property is a blanket term covering patents, trademarks and materials which have been copyrighted. But if you like you can read the court case yourself; its not exactly new though, this has been settled for quite some time: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/101/99/case.html Also the EU has similar provisions in that you can't copyright ideas or patent things found in nature.

Be careful how you Google! I have no relation or connection to the weight-loss John Gabriel. In fact, I have never been overweight and am extremely well-built. You would be jealous. :) And, I am over 50.

Read what others say about me, but don't make up your mind until you have read what I have to say about myself: http://johngabrie1.wix.com/newcalculus
LMAO. Is this your intellect and critical thinking at work? You make exposing you so easy. To start, why would I take something YOU wrote about yourself as if it were unbiased?

@xInfra Deadx knew what I was getting at; that you're a nobody, and three other more known John Gabriel's come up before you when searching for your name. You don't even appear in results unless you add math.. and then this link ranks above your own page: http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2010/02/04/so-remember-back-in/

This is also a fun read (and also ranks higher than your own site); apparently you've been embarrassing yourself on the internet for quite some time now: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51224&sid=b7b5deba7c03a97f51a2b22d98c288cb

Oh I love your "critical thinking" abilities which you demonstrate in your last reply to me. For you to state with certainty that I would be jealous, wouldn't that mean you would have to know what my ideal physique is, and what it currently is? Why would you even assume you have a better physique then I do? Your logic here is as flawed as your understanding of math.

Real calculus has helped put men on the moon, lets us see through space and time. Yours has just made people laugh at you.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if you're a loon or a troll.

Ideas are not copyright-able. Don't care if you think they are "intellectual" or not. And again, Wikipedia has been proven to be as accurate (if not more-so) than a standard encyclopedia. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

Intellectual property is a blanket term covering patents, trademarks and materials which have been copyrighted. But if you like you can read the court case yourself; its not exactly new though, this has been settled for quite some time: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/101/99/case.html Also the EU has similar provisions in that you can't copyright ideas or patent things found in nature.

LMAO. Is this your intellect and critical thinking at work? You make exposing you so easy. To start, why would I take something YOU wrote about yourself as if it were unbiased?

@xInfra Deadx knew what I was getting at; that you're a nobody, and three other more known John Gabriel's come up before you when searching for your name. You don't even appear in results unless you add math.. and then this link ranks above your own page: http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2010/02/04/so-remember-back-in/

This is also a fun read (and also ranks higher than your own site); apparently you've been embarrassing yourself on the internet for quite some time now: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51224&sid=b7b5deba7c03a97f51a2b22d98c288cb

Oh I love your "critical thinking" abilities which you demonstrate in your last reply to me. For you to state with certainty that I would be jealous, wouldn't that mean you would have to know what my ideal physique is, and what it currently is? Why would you even assume you have a better physique then I do? Your logic here is as flawed as your understanding of math.

Real calculus has helped put men on the moon, lets us see through space and time. Yours has just made people laugh at you.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if you're a loon or a troll.
And this is what we call a double flawless baby. 10-0 free. with a side of salt coming to your table shortly.

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
Well, telling someone what topic of physics I'm researching in isn't foolish last I check. Lets get to the main question, which definition of a differential would you like?? You do know there are multiple equivalent definitions written to different fields of mathematics. Please choose a field and lemme know @John_Gabriel