What's new

Does 0.9999999 = 1?

Does .9999999 = 1?

• Total voters
This thread needed John Gabriel.
Thanks! Ha, ha. :) I really encourage you to study my article. Trusting others is not a good thing. In fact, I warn you about believing what I say or trusting in me. You have to verify that what I say is indeed true for otherwise how can you be sure?

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Thanks! Ha, ha. :) I really encourage you to study my article. Trusting others is not a good thing. In fact, I warn you about believing what I say or trusting in me. You have to verify that what I say is indeed true for otherwise how can you be sure?

Flagg

Noob
Thanks, I will. You're going to get a lot of fools posting gifs, pictures or saying dumb stuff like "Kabal 6-4 deeeeeerrrrrp" but i'll have a look.

No, it's right. Because if x/y=z, than z*y=x and x/z=y.
No buddy. It's wrong because 1/9 =/= 0.111... and the calculator was programmed by those who think 1/9 = 0.111... or were told to program it that way. BTW: The calculator only uses approximations, that is, 0.999... is not real for the calculator.

Thanks, I will. You're going to get a lot of fools posting gifs, pictures or saying dumb stuff like "Kabal 6-4 deeeeeerrrrrp" but i'll have a look.
Great!!! If you have questions, shoot me an email.

http://johngabrie1.wix.com/newcalculus#!contact/czpl

I cannot answer every email but I try. Please do not be offended if I don't answer soon enough or at all. Ask your questions clearly and preferably ONE at a time please. I encourage to visit this link where I have convinced some people:

http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-152.html

I think the crowd here is rather young and I am a bit of an older pooper. :)

Flagg

Noob
Great!!! If you have questions, shoot me an email.

http://johngabrie1.wix.com/newcalculus#!contact/czpl

I cannot answer every email but I try. Please do not be offended if I don't answer soon enough or at all. Ask your questions clearly and preferably ONE at a time please. I encourage to visit this link where I have convinced some people:

http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-152.html
Well my math is nowhere near your level, but enigmas like this do interest me. It ultimately comes down to, does infinity exist, or is everything finite.

Well my math is nowhere near your level, but enigmas like this do interest me. It ultimately comes down to, does infinity exist, or is everything finite.
Infinity does not exist. As for your math, you can always improve it and become as good (if not better) as anyone else. It is never too late.

Who said: "Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration".

Flagg

Noob
Infinity does not exist. As for your math, you can always improve it and become as good (if not better) as anyone else. It is never too late.

Who said: "Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration".
Inspirational words Mr Gabriel, been thinking of doing further studies in Veterinary Sciences.

It infinitely approaches 1 but never becomes it. Assuming you mean .99 repeating.

I mean, yeah it's pretty much the same to the point where it doesn't matter. But that's not enough for me
It's this and the best way to explain infinite is like this.

Imagine a frog jumps a distance of 1/2 evyertime he jumps toward his destination.

Say he's 10 ft away he jumps 5ft. Nowt hat he's 5ft away, he jumps 2.5ft toward it. So and and so forth.

If he CONSTANTLY keeps jumping half way there he'll never reach it but get REALLY REALLY CLOSE each time.

obviously to a human eye, it's hard to understand "infinite" but it exists it's just becomes unmeasurable through instruments and we must use logic/Math to figure it out.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
Well my math is nowhere near your level, but enigmas like this do interest me. It ultimately comes
down to, does infinity exist, or is everything finite.
This is what is fuelling me right now, and similarly my very own point of view as my level of math is also severly lacking.

Infinity does not exist
Now to this infinity, as Flagg said and I too also believe it comes down to and either or. Either infinity exists and .99... can never equal to 1, or Infinity doesn't and we at the current level of maths have not reached a level needed to flawlessly calculate the above logical conundrum.

I tried reading the 51 paged pdf but got overwhelmed.

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy

Flagg

Noob
This is what is fuelling me right now, and similarly my very own point of view as my level of math is also severly lacking.

Now to this infinity, as Flagg said and I too also believe it comes down to and either or. Either infinity exists and .99... can never equal to 1, or Infinity doesn't and we at the current level of maths have not reached a level needed to flawlessly calculate the above logical conundrum.

I tried reading the 51 paged pdf but got overwhelmed.

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy
PND and The Hateocracy dropping knowledge and philosophy bombs on TYM. Love it!

aj1701

Noob
Sure, but Wikipedia is wrong and I am correct. You must remember that Wikipedia is the world according to a core group of editors who run it. They are a bunch of dull and incompetent mathematicians.
Wikipedia has been proven as accurate as a traditional encyclopedia. It also sites references, unlike you.

I find it interesting that the only person i know for sure to be a mathematician on here and a physicist and in a very brief response answered the question on both a practical and theoretical level got completely written off. way to go tym.

I find it interesting that the only person i know for sure to be a mathematician on here and a physicist and in a very brief response answered the question on both a practical and theoretical level got completely written off. way to go tym.
I don't have a problem with "mathematicians" except those idiots who think they are mathematicians because they earned a PhD in mathematics.

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
Don't like truth much, do you "man"?
there's a massive difference between people who are good at math and those who are mathematicians, especially those who earned a PhD (unlike myself). Maybe you should go to a library and read a basic PhD math book on something simple, like say topology and try to read and comprehend everything in the book. Maybe then you'll have a better perspective. I'll be impressed if you could answer question 1 in section 1 of any book you pick up

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
lemme make a simple inference: you obviously don't comprehend this topic so your a fuckin idiot. Unless you write me a proof asserting your argument that Euler was wrong about summations then i'm wasting my time here.