What's new

[Discussion] Injustice Tournament Rules?

So your mad when something hits you and kills you. Maybe try dodging it then.

I get that you may think they are random, but they are not. They are in the same spot on the map every time. Learn where they are and defend against them properly. It really isn't THAT hard.
THIS. the DEMO hasn't even been out that long and people are already complaining and saying take this out instead of trying to learn to deal with it

Noob
Are we assuming that the only TOs going to run Injustice are MK TOs? Shouldn't other communities help, since this game is looking to be big...
Right now it seems that the MK Community is kind of becoming the NRS Community in terms of who will run Injustice at tournaments, but I'm sure there will be help from other communities.

From a logical standpoint, though, when UMVC3 came out, they didn't ask the Tekken community to run it for them... Capcom comm. ran it.

When SFxT came out, Capcom ran it as well... alongside AE and UMVC3.

It's an NRS game, so the TD's are looking at the NRS TO's to step up.

Also, people are forgetting something HUGE about being conservative with 2/3:

If it does turn out it runs very quickly, we can always ADD MORE CONTENT ON AT THE END. Got an hour to kill? 5v5 MKC vs Capcom. GGA vs VSM. Heroes vs Villains exposition. Character Roulette tourney, literally anything! This is so important.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them except that some are too long/boring. Haven't heard of anything bad gameplay related directly related to the transition.
A negative would be that it messes up wall bounce combos, at least in the demo. I can start a combo mid-screen, and do a wall bounce mid combo and it activates the stage transition. A lot of the times you're nowhere near the corner when this happens.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
A negative would be that it messes up wall bounce combos, at least in the demo. I can start a combo mid-screen, and do a wall bounce mid combo and it activates the stage transition. A lot of the times you're nowhere near the corner when this happens.
If you do a wall bounce from that close the combo probably wouldn't have the exact properties anyways. Might be a position switch or something like that. You still get decent damage for the transition, and I think for the sake of the game I can live with it.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
You're EXTREMELY lucky to have more than 8 setups at a mortal kombat major. MLG had, what, 32? You can't compare a tournament run by 3 guys with 8 setups to a tournament run by 12+ people with 30+ setups lol. Of course MLG was able to run 3/5 and be on time/early, they had the staff and space to do so easily. That's not the case at 99% of majors...
Did you attend a MLG tournament? They only used about 6 set ups overall. All the other set ups were being used for ppl to play casuals and stuff

Did you attend a MLG tournament? They only used about 6 set ups overall. All the other set ups were being used for ppl to play casuals and stuff
Yes, Columbus. All but 4 were MK when it was tourney time for us. It was about 30 setups, crazy.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
the speed of the game will be pretty obvious in a couple of weeks. Things were sorta designed with first to 3 in mind as the blowups will come fast and hard but this will sorta itself out right away and might evolve over time.

I'd also be wary of plstyle fakeout button checks to reset the stage when a favorable one doesn't show up at first lol

cyke_out

Noob
Some of the interactibles really favor one type of character over the other on certain stages. This can place you at an advantage or disadvantage based on the stage and the side of it you're on. It's not enormous, but it is palpable and it's a reason to consider allowing people to choose stages.

Yes some stages may favor one character over another, but this is no different than any other mainstream 3D fighter being played right now. DoA5, VF5, SC5 and TTT2. Some characters have a better wall game and will want tighter stages, some characters have a better ring out game and want smaller stages with edges, some characters will have longer pokes and more evasiveness and want an endless stage to play keep away. And these different stages can have a huge impact on the way the characters play and the outcome of the match-up. Knowing what your opponent wants to do with the stage and how to counter it, while using the stage to your own advantage is just part of the fun in a 3D fighter, and finally Injustice is bringing that sort of strategy and thinking into the 2D realm.

But that doesn't change how the stages are selected in a tournament. All those games use a random stage pick each and every time. no one gets a straight up pick after losing. I fail to see why Injustice should be any different.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
One thing to consider in the 3/5 or 2/3 argument is the fact that button checks should be alot faster in this game.

sea_guy

Monitor
I like the current iteration of the stage rules. As someone who watches a lot of Tekken I'm all for random/rematch every time, but I'm also fond of idea that the loser can choose to 50/50 and get blown up.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Yes, Columbus. All but 4 were MK when it was tourney time for us. It was about 30 setups, crazy.
But how many did they actually use in tournament!!!!???
I went to 3 mlgs. Yes they had all te set ups to mk9 but only about 5 were used at a time for the tournament

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I went to 3 mlgs. Yes they had all te set ups to mk9 but only about 5 were used at a time for the tournament
First 2-3 rounds they had like 30 setups used actually, once people got eliminated then they used lots less setups, yeah. The first few rounds were a shitload of setups used.

All of them. Entire rounds were played in 1 fell swoop. 10 minutes and winners 1 is done. 10 more and losers 1 is done. 10 more and winners 2 is done, etc. Stuff ran quick lol, there was lots of downtime for casuals but all casuals were shut down for tourney play when the schedule called for it. I guess cbus was different from other MLGs in that regard?

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
After playing the demo, interactables seem very powerful. Too quick to be unblockable, very difficult to avoid. But the stage transitions are fine, think of them as a less severe consequence than ring out in VF or Soul Calibur.

Sent from my phone, using the keypad.

the speed of the game will be pretty obvious in a couple of weeks. Things were sorta designed with first to 3 in mind as the blowups will come fast and hard but this will sorta itself out right away and might evolve over time.

I'd also be wary of plstyle fakeout button checks to reset the stage when a favorable one doesn't show up at first lol
LMAO

Thread re-stuck and thread title altered by adding the word "Discussion" to the front. Remember that this is only a discussion guys, what anyone says in this thread is not official unless it's a TO and they specify they are going to run with the rules discussed in this thread. They're the only ones that get to make that decision, but don't let that deter you from making suggestions. It's all about the players in the end, and don't forget that.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Also, people are forgetting something HUGE about being conservative with 2/3:

If it does turn out it runs very quickly, we can always ADD MORE CONTENT ON AT THE END. Got an hour to kill? 5v5 MKC vs Capcom. GGA vs VSM. Heroes vs Villains exposition. Character Roulette tourney, literally anything! This is so important.
dumpster matches !!!!! only gadget characters , only interactables :D

LEGEND

YES!
I honestly have no issue with stages being 50/50ed every time, Unless stages are poorly built there shouldn't be a big problem.

Let the people play where they want

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
You're thinking about this from a player's point of view... not a bad thing, mind you... but remember the position you're in is more of a provider as opposed to player.

As at TO, I kind of have to view it in a manner that's more Seller/Consumer. The TO's and people running the event are the business and are providing a service(that is in fact paid) to the players who are the consumers.

As a consumer how do you feel when the seller makes the product you're buying SMALLER than what you're used to but makes you pay the same price?

Similarly, as a consumer, how good does it feel when the seller tells you that business is good enough that you can now have more for the same price?

This is the basic principle here, but instead we're dealing with the time constraints of the game...of which we don't know enough about yet to make a fair determination...and if we choose incorrectly, we risk the chance of not finishing a tournament in a timely manner...wasting players' time and money.
This is easily one of the most well thought out posts that ever found it's way into a debate on this site. I read it like four times because it was just that fucking good.

<3

The game is so fast at the moment because you're either playing against the aggressive AI or you're all trying to pull off combos against each other. When this gets into tourney's there'll be a much slower pace I imagine. I would think it's best to start out at 2/3 and see from there.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I REALLY REALLY disagree with Random Stage at the start.

They put the 50/50 stage choice in there for a reason, I would like to see that used for the first match, and then loser should be able to switch the stage IMO.
random (preassigned at player select stage) at start would cut down on load times! lol