What's new

[Discussion] Injustice Tournament Rules?

1. There is no reason to ban any stage
2. Stage select rules should be 1st game is random stage. Loser gets to rematch on the current stage or opt to 50/50 the stage select.
Even with the glitch on Aris Aircraft in the right corner? Where the screen can be blocked and make the game pretty unplayable? I think it's fair that that stage is banned until that glitch is fixed, what are your thoughts on this?

Osirun your rules aren't quite the ideal I'd hope for, but I do think that they are the fairest and best we could possibly get for this game. I like them, good job.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Even with the glitch on Aris Aircraft in the right corner? Where the screen can be blocked and make the game pretty unplayable? I think it's fair that that stage is banned until that glitch is fixed, what are your thoughts on this?
agreed .... it's up to NRS just release a patch, that fix this shit, and this way, this stage can come back to competitive scene ....

if a bug/glitch exists in the game, and it's well known, it's NRS obligation and duty, to correct that bullshit, hehe :D

Thanks for posting up, Tom. I appreciate it.

If I may ask, though, why do you think that the 50/50 is an appropriate tool for the loser of the first match to use if they so choose? Why is that the superior option compared to simply random stage select for everything except a straight rematch?

I'm assuming that your intention is also for the winner of the first match to be able to choose whatever stage he prefers as part of the 50/50?

Tim, I'm also leaning heavily toward 3/5 and it will probably be what I choose for my upcoming Brutality - May 2013 event. The game is very fast when people know what they're doing.
Its because I do not believe in unwarranted custom rules. Making a rule to not allow the 50/50 is a custom rule that removes a feature of the game.

The reason why the first game is random and not a 50/50 is because...

1. it is possible to lose every 50/50 leaving the opponent feeling like they lost due to losing every 50/50. This way at least ONE stage select will be random and not hand chosen by either player.

2. This prevents players from only knowing a few of the stage strats for certain stages. Game 1 is random, be ready for anything that pops up.

3. You would be AMAZED the bullshit tricks players pull to get multiple 50/50 tries on game.

These rules use random stage select, and allow for a 50/50 afterwards. Its fair and no custom rule banning any feature is enforced.

dabuz

Noob
One thing I don't get is why not let loser of a match pick next stage? Is the advantage of character pick priority+ stage pick too strong?

several stages actually have this bug. It rare and does not warrant a ban. wanna ban every stage this can happen on lol? there is no reason to ban any stage.

One thing I don't get is why not let loser of a match pick next stage? Is the advantage of character pick priority+ stage pick too strong?
thats why the 50/50 is there. Shall we ban the 50/50... Start writing the rule book now and assign a ref to every event!!

Tim Static

Adminerator
several stages actually have this bug. It rare and does not warrant a ban. wanna ban every stage this can happen on lol? there is no reason to ban any stage.
but banning it until its fixed doesn't seem like a smart decision? what if it comes into play on a hyped stream match?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think there should be a "number of button checks" rule. Since you can check your buttons at the character select screen, I think there should be a limit on the amount of times you can actually go in game to check your buttons. People can just keep fake button checking until they get a stage they want.

I could write you a book, but instead I'll just leave it at this: Bullshit until you prove it. It happens on a lot of stages? Sounds like that's an issue with the game that needs to be brought up to NRS as potentially patch-worthy at some point in the future. The bug literally makes part of the stage impossible to play on. That's something we should know about now so it doesn't negatively affect the game in the future.

dabuz

Noob
thats why the 50/50 is there. Shall we ban the 50/50... Start writing the rule book now and assign a ref to every event!!
Wow, way to be hostile and not answer my question.

I'm asking because with the 50-50, the winner can get the stage advantage. Like I said, I just want to understand the reasoning to not give the loser the stage choice advantage? It's not like there's any difficulty at all in both players picking the same stage...

Wow, way to be hostile and not answer my question.

I'm asking because with the 50-50, the winner can get the stage advantage. Like I said, I just want to understand the reasoning to not give the loser the stage choice advantage? It's not like there's any difficulty at all in both players picking the same stage...
I apologize for being curt, but I have answered this 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 times and yet ppl still pay no mind.

i am all for allowing the 50/50 from game 1, or random stage and loser can opt for the 50/50. Not banning the 50/50 option. This would be a custom rule banning a feature of the game for no reason.

I could write you a book, but instead I'll just leave it at this: Bullshit until you prove it. It happens on a lot of stages? Sounds like that's an issue with the game that needs to be brought up to NRS as potentially patch-worthy at some point in the future. The bug literally makes part of the stage impossible to play on. That's something we should know about now so it doesn't negatively affect the game in the future.
It happens on Gotham City w/the dumpster. Same exact bug as Ferris. Happens on other stages too....

I apologize for being curt, but I have answered this 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 times and yet ppl still pay no mind.

i am all for allowing the 50/50 from game 1, or random stage and loser can opt for the 50/50. Not banning the 50/50 option. This would be a custom rule banning a feature of the game for no reason.
Needs more 9s.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I'm still waiting on confirmation that this bug still happens today.....

*insert Crazy Pills meme here*

dabuz

Noob
Ok. I disagree with your opinion on the basis that just because a game has a feature it doesn't mean we -need- to use and keep that feature for competitive play. I see where you're coming from though since making a rule like that is completely arbitrary and causes problems.

Yeah I hate how when I watch a tournament stream they always go 50/50 on the very first game.

It's like everyone agrees the first stage should be random, but when people are there and the stakes are high they're like whatever and will try to get away with a 50/50 if they can lol.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
As of right now here is what that standard should be...

1. 2/3 matches
2. Interactables and Transitions ON
3. Random stage for the first game. If the loser wants a new stage, they have the option for another random stage, or to 50/50 the stage select. Random stage means the stage AND stage level that is pre-selected by the game at the character select screen.
Why should it not just be 50/50 every time?

RoGE

Noob
People shouldn't blame their losses on a stage when it's their own fault for not adapting and learning about the stage imo.

Also I think there should be a rule about button check stage option-select "um.. I don't like this stage..Yeah that was a button check!"

lmao @ button check stage option-select.

Why should it not just be 50/50 every time?
Because then it will always be Ferris Aircraft vs Atlantis in every single game and one player will always have territory advantage.

Random stage means more stage diversity of course. It can benefit either player or none. Random just seems more fair to me.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
lmao @ button check stage option-select.

Because then it will always be Ferris Aircraft vs Atlantis in every single game and one player will always have territory advantage.

Random stage means more stage diversity of course. It can benefit either player or none. Random just seems more fair
Power characters prove better in arenas like Arkham for example, so you should be voting for what works for your character.

Because I use batman, I want the batcave lagoon everytime,as power characters have nothing to abuse in that level (and other undisclosed reasons) so having it 50/50 couldn't be more fair, diversity in stage selection is irrelevant to gameplay.

You choose, I choose. 50/50, if the stage is random, the odds of landing on power friendly stages increases drastically, (two arkhams, rooftop Gotham, Myscira, insergency, metropolis (2/3 levels), fortress of solitude & watchtower, they are all stages a non power character wants to avoid, with a special mention to Atlantis (no corner escape, two interactables), this gives you less chance than 50/50 to level it out.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
IMO
no button checks - know your hardware before a tournament and/or use a casual station to test.
first game both players confirm/set your buttons in player select the first time up.
first match used the defaulted random stage select.
after that the loser can keep the same character and pick a new stage to use OR pick a different character and choose a new stage to 50/50 with the winner.
I would recommend 3/5 for all matches to allow for players to download one another.

As far as the camera bugs, those aren't on my current build. So if they aren't fixed in with Lobo they should be with the next one.