What's new

[Discussion] Injustice Tournament Rules?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Death

Interactables aren't bad once you get used to the game.
I've had only one casual session so far with the game and I've already been successful in avoiding and setting up an offense against my opponent who is using stage transitions. Once you get used to how they work and how to avoid/punish them individually per stage/level, they make the game even more fun.

Justice

Noob
As of right now here is what that standard should be...

1. 3/5 matches
2. Interactables and Transitions ON
3. Random stage for the first game, loser gets to 50/50 the stage select. Random stage means the stage AND stage level that is pre-selected by the game at the character select screen.
1. Yes.
2. Hell Yes!
3. Fuck no! With Stage Selection being arguably as important as Character Selection (NRS's words, not mine), the choice should be left up to the player. That 50/50 mechaninc in case of disagreements was put in just for this situation.

3. Fuck no! With Stage Selection being arguably as important as Character Selection (NRS's words, not mine), the choice should be left up to the player. That 50/50 mechaninc in case of disagreements was put in just for this situation.

absolutely not. As soon as someone loses EVERY 50/50 and loses the set, coming down to the wire, they will argue that if they could have won at least ONE 50/50 that they would have won. People will come away thinking they didnt get out played, they got out lucked. NO WAY! This way, at least ONE choice will be totally random.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
it's painfully obvious how many people have only played mortal kombat competitively D: random stage select is tournament standard in every_other_competitive_game where stages matter even arguably MORE than they do in MK9; soul calibur, tekken, virtua fighter, doa. shit should be random and complaining about it not being random is extremely silly.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Screw them. Fighting game developers tend to somehow know even less about their game than 85% of the people who play it.

Random stages, at least until a metagame is formulated.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
This does not in any way shape or form represent what individual Tournament Organizers for Injustice are going to be using in their tournaments; it is 100% up to them.
I don't know why people keep saying this. Most T.O.'s know jack shit about the games and it is really up to the community to come up with a standard rule set that the TO's follow.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon

1. 3/5 matches
3. Random stage for the first game, loser gets to 50/50 the stage select. Random stage means the stage AND stage level that is pre-selected by the game at the character select screen.
1. Agreed, little worried this could make tourneys too long but maybe we can grow up and enforce the time better.
2. 1000% this. Too fun/important to be off.
3. Personally I think it should be both players choose every time they are at stage select. They'll only be at stage select again if the loser decides to switch characters/stages. So if you lose you have to decide if you want to risk the stage select screen again when the level could either stay the same or be worse. Another way to handle it would be to do a 'stage lock' 50/50. Basically if the loser goes to character select they can pick a new stage and the winner must pick the current stage. Then the game decides, but there will always be a 50% chance it will be the same level.

I do think if interactables and transitions are to be used in tourney, and I really hope they are, the stage select rules are more important to figure out than even 2/3 or 3/5. With the game having a built in 50/50 and any area of any arena being selectable there are so many possibilities.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
absolutely not. As soon as someone loses EVERY 50/50 and loses the set, coming down to the wire, they will argue that if they could have won at least ONE 50/50 that they would have won. People will come away thinking they didnt get out played, they got out lucked. NO WAY! This way, at least ONE choice will be totally random.
But that can only happen if the loser keeps going to player select. If it keeps coming down to the wire and they keep going to player select they are either trying to counter pick the character or the stage. If they keep switching characters it just was a bad strategy. If they are trying to switch the stage and failing well that is the same as using random stage select in MK9 and you keep getting Rooftop Day vs Kabal.

But that can only happen if the loser keeps going to player select. If it keeps coming down to the wire and they keep going to player select they are either trying to counter pick the character or the stage. If they keep switching characters it just was a bad strategy. If they are trying to switch the stage and failing well that is the same as using random stage select in MK9 and you keep getting Rooftop Day vs Kabal.
Tom Brady, this dilema is very problematic. I think the 50/50 option should be disallowed in tournaments simply because of the risk of losing your right to counterpick on loss. I agree with your analysis on why the first match should be random though. Unless there's levels that ought to be strait up banned like half of the ones in mk (chamber of flames, street, etc), then you're 100% right that the first match should be completely random, but i think you're wrong that on loss you can 50/50 for reasons stated above.

50/50 is great for casual play, but leave that out of tournaments IMO

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I don't think the game moves fast enough yet to justify a 3/5. Not talking about the speed of the characters or anything, I mean the players not having a good enough grasp to the point where the game is moving along at a quick pace.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
In Smash even a pokeball isn't consistent: you could get the most overpowered, inescapable pokemon or you could get some really useless crap. It's the epitome of "random crap that could give you a tremendous advantage", in Injustice everything is there from beginning to be used by anyone at the same area in the stage, it's not just falling from the sky at random intervals that could appear anywhere on the stage.

cyke_out

Noob
Loser doesn't get his pick of stages in Soul Calibur, and that game's stages plays a huge role, Aeon in a small stage with ring-outs makes almost any match-up in his favor, yet put him in an endless stage, or a stage with walls and he is barely mid-tier. Same with Tekken, the loser of the first match, doesn't just get his free choice of levels.

It's a very viable tactics to go back to stage select and pray to the random gods that you get a stage in your favor, if you lost, but sometimes the random gods are evil and give you the exact same stage you were just on.

First stage selection should be completely random, and then if the loser wishes to attempt random luck again, he can either random it up or use the 50/50 coin flip. This is how it is in any competitive fighter where stages matter. I see no reason why Injustice is any different.

As for the interactables, no, they are not the same as random items falling from smash, they are part of the stage and can be trained on how to use and defend. It's no different than working on corner combo's, walled combos, ring out set-ups, or any other tactics involved with a particular stage.

Once again, I feel like the majority of the MK community doesn't know enough about other games or the tournament environment to make an objective decision.

I don't think the game moves fast enough yet to justify a 3/5. Not talking about the speed of the characters or anything, I mean the players not having a good enough grasp to the point where the game is moving along at a quick pace.
just look how damaging combos are, juggles easily got to 50-60%, 2/3 might be ove rvery quick

Noob

1. 3/5 matches

Bill, everything seems fair, but the only thing I have as a true concern is starting a new game like this as 3/5.

As a TO, I'm very concerned as to how the game will develop over time and how long it will take to run in tournament. I personally think the smart idea is to be conservative...start off 2/3 and then adjust to 3/5 if we see that matches are fast enough to make that switch.

This is what was done in UMVC3, so there's no reason we can't be prudent and do this ourselves as well.

Bill, everything seems fair, but the only thing I have as a true concern is starting a new game like this as 3/5.

As a TO, I'm very concerned as to how the game will develop over time and how long it will take to run in tournament. I personally think the smart idea is to be conservative...start off 2/3 and then adjust to 3/5 if we see that matches are fast enough to make that switch.

This is what was done in UMVC3, so there's no reason we can't be prudent and do this ourselves as well.
I agree on the 2/3, people just asked me for 3/5 because of how they arent used to the stage interactables yet. I agree with you 100%..

2/3 it is.. learn to MBDC past interactables, not ask for more games.