What's new

Born On a Monday -- Solomon Grundy General Discussion/QA/Combo Thread

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Grundy has an inverse of the relation that most characters had in this game I think - He started out relatively strong and hasn't been changed much and that's made him worse in the long run
Characters like Bane or maybe even flash (I don't remember how good he was at launch, just that he got buffed constantly) started out relatively weak and have been changed multiple times and that's made them much stronger in the long run

They went on making everyone stupid but Grundy and now he's basically a shitter... What I wouldn't give for F1 to be fast
Lol right?

F1 - 8 frames pls

The cancel to WC should have armor(like KL's Ex Tele but when he doesn't do a normal)... either that or give me back my unclashable trait damage.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Lol right?

F1 - 8 frames pls

The cancel to WC should have armor(like KL's Ex Tele but when he doesn't do a normal)... either that or give me back my unclashable trait damage.
yeah it's stupid. The next NRS game I'm just gonna main a character who sucks donkey dick on release and then wait til they overbuff them to the point of idiocy. Or wait for every DLC to be top 5. Watching Grundy slowly slide down the scale of viability is too heart breaking to deal with again </3

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
if you are on x box i can give u some games , ive been playin grundy since day 1 so im used to having to get in
[rant]Well I appreciate. There's a chance this may help. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it really is but it's starting to feel like Grundy is irrelevant. I'm finding other characters can do what he does but faster, safer, and easier. At least in most other fighting games, slow beefy characters usually have higher defense/bigger life bars so they can afford to tank some stuff. So far it feels to me that Grundy just has armor that barely works. Most of the time, when I move forward or hit a button I think "YOLO". But then I tell myself, that's the life of a grappler! Until I see Bane, Shazam, or even Lobo's options. Then I'm just like :/

[/end rant]

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
[rant]Well I appreciate. There's a chance this may help. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it really is but it's starting to feel like Grundy is irrelevant. I'm finding other characters can do what he does but faster, safer, and easier. At least in most other fighting games, slow beefy characters usually have higher defense/bigger life bars so they can afford to tank some stuff. So far it feels to me that Grundy just has armor that barely works. Most of the time, when I move forward or hit a button I think "YOLO". But then I tell myself, that's the life of a grappler! Until I see Bane, Shazam, or even Lobo's options. Then I'm just like :/

[/end rant]
i try to health trait as soon as i can each fight then u basically do have a bigger life bar , i honestly dont think grundy is slow his normals are but u can be smart about it using MB trait or WCC instead of d2 to try escape pressure , grundy is hard to play sometimes cause of his disadvantages but his fun factor makes up for it , the only matches i will not use grundy in are hawkgirl and supes (possibly bane also) everyone else in in my power to beat

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
I mostly only have significant experience against Superman, Flash, Raven, and Bane. Those match-ups feel really rough to me but I think I just need to play this game more.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I mostly only have significant experience against Superman, Flash, Raven, and Bane. Those match-ups feel really rough to me but I think I just need to play this game more.
i think Grundy beats Raven iirc, but if you're playing it online where it's harder to feel out the timing for soul crush it gets stupid hard lol, I agree.

----------------------

Tangently related, I really don't think Supes is any worse of a matchup than most @fr stack, I generally do better against supes than I do HG or Bane or Flash with Grundy

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
i think Grundy beats Raven iirc, but if you're playing it online where it's harder to feel out the timing for soul crush it gets stupid hard lol, I agree.

----------------------

Tangently related, I really don't think Supes is any worse of a matchup than most @fr stack, I generally do better against supes than I do HG or Bane or Flash with Grundy
She can spam a string that basically puts her into throw immune frames instantly and throughout the string.

She's much harder to deal with than you think :(

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?

----------------------

i think its cause so many people use superman that we just have more match up exp vs him , trust me tho a good superman will destroy grundy , just stay back trait up and have a good time , ravens b23 string is tricky but its not op just WCC into WC or WCC into MB swamp hands or WCC MBf3 i give no fucks if she wants to throw out her negative a billion soul crush ill WCC through everything she tries to do

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
i think its cause so many people use superman that we just have more match up exp vs him , trust me tho a good superman will destroy grundy , just stay back trait up and have a good time , ravens b23 string is tricky but its not op just WCC into WC or WCC into MB swamp hands or WCC MBf3 i give no fucks if she wants to throw out her negative a billion soul crush ill WCC through everything she tries to do
Good point, I would agree I probably know the Superman MU better than most Supermen know the Grundy MU that I run across

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
Actually the match-ups I mentioned are the ones I get to play against offline. I don't play much online at all. Raven isn't actually too bad anymore if I can knock her down at least once.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
I'm still picking a secondary though. Or maybe I should say that I might make Grundy my secondary. I'm thinking Doomsday might cover those currently tough matches.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'm still picking a secondary though. Or maybe I should say that I might make Grundy my secondary. I'm thinking Doomsday might cover those currently tough matches.
Grundy really isn't a viable character, ultimately any secondary you can pick is just better overall than he is.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Its true though..

"man I'm gonna have Supes as a backup character"

then why not use Supersmanz the entire time

"I'll have aquaman for a backup"

lol srs
suppose you only want to sacrifice grundyswag as much as you have to, like you'll use your top tier backup for like 2 or 3 terribad MUs but then stick with Grundy for everything else lol

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
Grundy really isn't a viable character, ultimately any secondary you can pick is just better overall than he is.
LOL Well yeah that was point. But there's no way I'll stop playing him even if it's just casually. I mean come on, the dude grabs you by the face and gives you a swamp water mouthwash.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
When they gave Bane the combo of 2 of Grundy's chains put together..... he was toast

Banes venom literally gives him the Power/Health put together...... for a very very long time. Plus armor. uggh.

Golden Gun Fun

Zoned on a Tuesday
When did the Grundy community get so depressing? I play Grundy because he's fun. I admit he isn't incredibly viable, but I forget all that when Grundy starts to smash!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
When did the Grundy community get so depressing? I play Grundy because he's fun. I admit he isn't incredibly viable, but I forget all that when Grundy starts to smash!
Play some of his 8-2 matchups where you literally can't do anything if you don't get the lifelead. Its really depressing.