What's new

Born On a Monday -- Solomon Grundy General Discussion/QA/Combo Thread

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
ji3 is so godlike lol too bad its really hard to get anything off of it.
huh, I never even thought of jumpins... lol well if it can stuff one or two and make them not wakeup then it does it's job well I think, I'm gonna go to the lab and see if I can get some timing down :) thanks bro!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
huh, I never even thought of jumpins... lol well if it can stuff one or two and make them not wakeup then it does it's job well I think, I'm gonna go to the lab and see if I can get some timing down :) thanks bro!
my most successful followup off a deep ji3 is a d2 ~ 1 ex swamphands etc etc

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
@ll Nooby ll @RDK|Tyrant @fr stack @Mikemetroid @HP Hatecraft @any other grundy mains

I've been looking into stuffing wakeups w/ Grundy recently, just browsed the forums and didn't see anything about it. Which of Grundy's normals do you think works the best? I'm thinking 1 or 2 maybe, but then F1 might work better against parry wakeups... I dunno. If any of you have any prior research/knowledge, feel free to help a scrub out :)
add me on xbl man , fr shtack .. i got you :REO

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
@ll Nooby ll @RDK|Tyrant @fr stack @Mikemetroid @HP Hatecraft @any other grundy mains

I've been looking into stuffing wakeups w/ Grundy recently, just browsed the forums and didn't see anything about it. Which of Grundy's normals do you think works the best? I'm thinking 1 or 2 maybe, but then F1 might work better against parry wakeups... I dunno. If any of you have any prior research/knowledge, feel free to help a scrub out :)
It's not the move that stuffs wake ups necessarily, but the timing of moves to to hit them when their invincibility wears off.

After an AA Grab:
I use dash up F1 against characters with parries. (remember Joker doesn't count since he can't do his as a wake up attack)
Against some Supermans who use Rising Grab on wakeup you can do dash up~3. If he does RG it will miss and you can punish him with a 112 combo.
Against wake-ups with incomplete invincibility, like Raven, and WW's Uppercut. You can do dash~WCC, 1. And if you time that correctly you can stuff there wake ups. A side note though, it seems that people can delay their wake up by a frame or two, which can affect some setups to the point where they don't work anymore, namely against Raven.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
It's not the move that stuffs wake ups necessarily, but the timing of moves to to hit them when their invincibility wears off.

After an AA Grab:
I use dash up F1 against characters with parries. (remember Joker doesn't count since he can't do his as a wake up attack)
Against some Supermans who use Rising Grab on wakeup you can do dash up~3. If he does RG it will miss and you can punish him with a 112 combo.
Against wake-ups with incomplete invincibility, like Raven, and WW's Uppercut. You can do dash~WCC, 1. And if you time that correctly you can stuff there wake ups. A side note though, it seems that people can delay their wake up by a frame or two, which can affect some setups to the point where they don't work anymore, namely against Raven.
Good information, I love it. I'm gonna hit the lab and try some timing against the characters my sole training partner plays. Is WCC a reliable option so long as the opponent doesn't have multihitting wakeups?

Considering it's timing based and not what move stuffs which, I don't know how important this is but I think it's easier to stuff Aquaman's scoop and trident rush with back 2, I can't find the timing for any of his other normals + trident rush stops WC from being effective. Might be useless outside of the corner though

Last edited:

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Good information, I love it. I'm gonna hit the lab and try some timing against the characters my sole training partner plays. Is WCC a reliable option so long as the opponent doesn't have multihitting wakeups?

Considering it's timing based and not what move stuffs which, I don't know how important this is but I think it's easier to stuff Aquaman's scoop and trident rush with back 2, I can't find the timing for any of his other normals + trident rush stops WC from being effective. Might be useless outside of the corner though
You can do the dash~WCC, 1 against scoop, shield, and rush and they all get stuffed. But he can delay the rush to blow up the setup though, but that's easier said than done. Also if you do a meaty into WC and he wakes up with rush. The walking corpse will grab him out of it in time before the hit.

fr stack

You can do the dash~WCC, 1 against scoop, shield, and rush and they all get stuffed. But he can delay the rush to blow up the setup though, but that's easier said than done. Also if you do a meaty into WC and he wakes up with rush. The walking corpse will grab him out of it in time before the hit.
nooby do u play on xbl ? id love to get some games in

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Also, aiming for hard knockdowns is not a bad idea. They give you some really great meaty setups or ambiguous crossup setups that can blow up a large majority of wakeups.

These come off:

AA grab
WC MB
Dead Air

I think there is a couple more, I'm drawing a blank right now. Maybe D3?

Oh and tick throw and wc pressure is great. Example: 112 trait or 112 wc(c) or d2 wc(c) or d2 trait but you already knew these probably :p

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Also, aiming for hard knockdowns is not a bad idea. They give you some really great meaty setups or ambiguous crossup setups that can blow up a large majority of wakeups.

These come off:

AA grab
WC MB
Dead Air

Oh and tick throw and wc pressure is great. Example: 112 trait or 112 wc(c) or d2 wc(c) or d2 trait but you already knew these probably :p
I've been having some success using B1 against superman's wakeups out of hard knockdown today, ran a long set against a guy near my skill level and i was actually able to condition him to not wakeup and get free grabs

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Any Grundys that wanna play some matches later tonight, reply to this. PS3-4 or 360. Gt for 360- A Long Johnson
Ps3-4 account- No-Brows-McGee

fr stack

Yo @fr stack what was the BGB setup you were doing the other day? BGB > dash forward, dash again, nj 2?
dash forward WCC nj 2, its gimmicky but its actually decent once u get going , theres also backdash WCC nj which goes the other side (i think) if they start respecting it just trait throw .
also BGB dash WCC f3 MB it doesnt cross up unfortunately
i should just do two dashes too but the WCC tricks people out i think

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
dash forward WCC nj 2, its gimmicky but its actually decent once u get going , theres also backdash WCC nj which goes the other side (i think) if they start respecting it just trait throw .
Yeah I was doing the double dash earlier. I'll give the WCC a try.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker

These come off:

AA grab
WC MB
Dead Air

Yeah, combos into d3 give you some setups. Combos ending with b3/f3 into f3 give some too.

fr stack

k so after some testing the dash back WCC doesn't do what i said... instead do slight walk back WCC neutral jump 2 , so now we have it both ways

i hear a lot of bad talk about grundy and barely see him in tournaments. i have no clue about the character, but i have one question: how bad can a character be that gets 4 hits of armor whenever he wants? serious answers appreciated.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
He's not a bad character by any means. He just has to work a lot harder against characters who are played the most in the current meta. With solid fundamentals and character knowledge, this character is truly frightening.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
He's not a bad character by any means. He just has to work a lot harder against characters who are played the most in the current meta. With solid fundamentals and character knowledge, this character is truly frightening.
I think this nails it really well, if you main Grundy you must accept the fact that you will come across horrible match ups all the time because he struggles against some of the most played characters in the game. These matches require a lot of knowledge, practice and patience.

But yeah if you know what you're doing with Grundy, your opponent better know just as much about Grundy or they are in trouble.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
One interesting thing is that lately I've been winning a lot more matches because people seem to think they can just zone Grundy out and nothing else and that would be enough. I'm still new to this game though.