What's new

Question - Goro Boon hints at Goro's playstyle, "ever played Doomsday in Injustice?"

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Well its not like my main is set on stone anyway.
For real, though, shit tier Goro here we go!
1. He, like everyone else, is going to have 3 variations, logically one can assume at least one of them will be viable in some way. Subzero for example, for all we know Grandmaster could be terrible and the worse zoner in the game, but Cryomancer could have some of the best pressure and rushdown. There's a chance that he can have a bad variations, but as a whole I don't think any characters will be completely useless or low-tier. That or the low-tier will still be viable in some form.

The tier list will probably separate the tiers.
like:

A: Ninjustsu Scorpion, Displacer Raiden
B: Commando Kano, Unbreakable Subzero
C: Ruthless Ferra/Torr, Cybernetic Kano, Cryomancer Subzero

2. If he plays like Doomsday, he won't be low tier, lol.

---

I see a lot of people bitching about Doomsday.

I don't understand why, he was never that hard to deal with for me, maybe because I used him(and Luthor, and Grundy, and Cyborg, and Adam, and GL, and Lobo, and Shazam, and WW) and understood his bullshit, but even then he was never so tricky and complicated as to inspire butthurt.

There were much worse and much harder to deal with, like a competent Dickstroke player, or F2man, and J2man, or Martian Manhunter, or Black Adam. A good player behind any of those is way scarier and harder to deal with than simple as Doomsday.

After a certain point you can't just braindead it up with DD, you actually have to think and shit, and that's if the person you're fighting is good.

If you've had serious trouble fighting DD, you aren't good.

Unless you use characters that have an astronomically bad MU with him.

Last edited:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
1. He, like everyone else, is going to have 3 variations, logically one can assume at least one of them will be viable in some way. Subzero for example, for all we know Grandmaster could be terrible and the worse zoner in the game, but Cryomancer could have some of the best pressure and rushdown. There's a chance that he can have a bad variations, but as a whole I don't think any characters will be completely useless or low-tier. That or the low-tier will still be viable in some form.

The tier list will probably separate the tiers.
like:

A: Ninjustsu Scorpion, Displacer Raiden
B: Commando Kano, Unbreakable Subzero
C: Ruthless Ferra/Torr, Cybernetic Kano, Cryomancer Subzero

2. If he plays like Doomsday, he won't be low tier, lol.

---

I see a lot of people bitching about Doomsday.

I don't understand why, he was never that hard to deal with for me, maybe because I used him(and Luthor, and Grundy, and Cyborg, and Adam, and GL, and Lobo, and Shazam, and WW) and understood his bullshit, but even then he was never so tricky and complicated as to inspire butthurt.

There were much worse and much harder to deal with, like a competent Dickstroke player, or F2man, and J2man, or Martian Manhunter, or Black Adam. A good player behind any of those is way scarier and harder to deal with than simple as Doomsday.

After a certain point you can't just braindead it up with DD, you actually have to think and shit, and that's if the person you're fighting is good.

If you've had serious trouble fighting DD, you aren't good.

Unless you use characters that have an astronomically bad MU with him.
No offense, but you guys aren't getting it. Nobody is complaining about how difficult he is to fight or how good he is. In fact, I do pretty well against him. We just think the way he is designed is dumb because we want to play footsies. You cant do that againt mb venom. So most of the game is either pushblocking him off of mb venom until one of you runs out of meter, or dealing with his pressure whenever he wants. You can't really throw much out there because of armor so you just play his game and try to stay out of the corner. It's not that he's difficult to deal with, it's that he's predictable and tedious to deal with because it's just the same shit over and over. That's our problem.

trufenix

bye felicia
No offense, but you guys aren't getting it. Nobody is complaining about how difficult he is to fight or how good he is. In fact, I do pretty well against him. We just think the way he is designed is dumb because we want to play footsies. You cant do that againt mb venom. So most of the game is either pushblocking him off of mb venom until one of you runs out of meter, or dealing with his pressure whenever he wants. You can't really throw much out there because of armor so you just play his game and try to stay out of the corner. It's not that he's difficult to deal with, it's that he's predictable and tedious to deal with because it's just the same shit over and over. That's our problem.
People also dislike having to run away from grapplers and block endless projectiles from zoners. Are they designed dumb?

Fighting games thrive with a ton of represented styles. If all the characters play samey you get dead or alive.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
People also dislike having to run away from grapplers and block endless projectiles from zoners. Are they designed dumb?

Fighting games thrive with a ton of represented styles. If all the characters play samey you get dead or alive.
I see what you are saying, but those are different. You can play footsies a grappler, you can zone them out, etc. Once you get in on a zoner you get to play your game. When are you seriously playing your character's game against DD? I guess from outside shoulder range and when you knock him down. But for most of the game you are saying, okay, here comes mb venom, what will he do after it? At least that is how I see it, but I am trash at this game so I admit that my opinion holds very little weight haha.

trufenix

bye felicia
I see what you are saying, but those are different. You can play footsies a grappler, you can zone them out, etc. Once you get in on a zoner you get to play your game. When are you seriously playing your character's game against DD? I guess from outside shoulder range and when you knock him down. But for most of the game you are saying, okay, here comes mb venom, what will he do after it? At least that is how I see it, but I am trash at this game so I admit that my opinion holds very little weight haha.
You're being absurd and alarmist. Show me the tourney / set where someone picked Doomsday and just ended zoning and footsies. The whole point of the game is variety. Every character in the game requires a slightly different gameplan. You can't sit here and tell me you play the exact same game against 27 other characters and this one stands alone.

You should be calling for Zod or Batgirl or Bane's redesign long before DDs. They do way more damage to the meta than one heavy advantage MB attack ever could.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You're being absurd and alarmist. Show me the tourney / set where someone picked Doomsday and just ended zoning and footsies. The whole point of the game is variety. Every character in the game requires a slightly different gameplan. You can't sit here and tell me you play the exact same game against 27 other characters and this one stands alone.

You should be calling for Zod or Batgirl or Bane's redesign long before DDs. They do way more damage to the meta than one heavy advantage MB attack ever could.
Well I will certainly agree with zod bg and bane being bigger problems. Besides that, I'll just agree to disagree because we are looking at it different ways. I definitely see your point, I just think it's a step further than how you're seeing it. That's all.

trufenix

bye felicia
Well I will certainly agree with zod bg and bane being bigger problems. Besides that, I'll just agree to disagree because we are looking at it different ways. I definitely see your point, I just think it's a step further than how you're seeing it. That's all.
My point is that all character / gameplay designs that are both unique and (more importantly) don't break the game should be accepted and celebrated, even if they are quote cheap. Nobody's calling DD broken over MB Venom, so it seems to me you want to draw some line in the sand between what should and shouldn't be allowed based on how hard you have to work to over come it. A year ago some of the top MK9 and Injustice players felt the same way about Scorpion, and look what happened. Is MB Venom worse than teleport? Would you accept a DD style character in MKX if he was as low tier as Scorpion?

Is this because i 3-0'd you? Quit crying man. Your not a dd player so dont corect me on what you dont know
play me in a set... i will destroy you... i was already in losers and i wasn't all there... give me a big set see waht happens... it has nothing to do with that win... i didn't give a shit at that point. It has to do with the fact that doomsday is incredibly braindead and i think he doesn't have to learn challenging aspects of fighting games at all.

Last edited:
@Peckapowa You're STILL saying Doomsday is a crutch for bad players with no fundamentals? I need to start a tally sheet or something, because that's all you ever say about him.

Doomsday in the hands of a bad player doesn't suddenly make them a good player. They're still going to suck. End of story.
it makes them more successful than they should be. a lot of characters in this game... you don't have to learn to play the game with doomsday you just have to learn a pattern of pressure and play desperate and never stop to think. If the opponent blocks or gets 1st hit you eventually lose... if you catch a break you win.

always thought earth shaker would've been twice as easy to block with a block button, i have nothing to substantiate this, but the high low game in MK never felt as daunting as just knowing your spacing . . . and all the other bullshit MK9 gave you to deal with lol.That said I highly doubt Boon meant ZOMG DOOMSDAY verbatim, just that Goro will have at least one variation that's gonna scare you shitless when he's next to you.Add me into the group that thinks doomsday was excellently designed. The character legitimately scared me at launch, and was spot on a representation of the character as there was in Injustice (maybe next to braindead, invincible pre patch superman)

the reaosn high-low blocking wasn't as hard in mk was because there was hardly anything you couldn't just react to... it was non-existent... injustice has no-risk/reward 15/16 frame 50/50's.... there is no concept of give and take in the moveset... like if a move his extremely fast is a mixup and leads to big damage it shouldn't be safe...

E

Eldriken

it makes them more successful than they should be. a lot of characters in this game... you don't have to learn to play the game with doomsday you just have to learn a pattern of pressure and play desperate and never stop to think. If the opponent blocks or gets 1st hit you eventually lose... if you catch a break you win.
Don't have to learn to play the game? LOL

Yep, you don't have to learn what you can/cannot punish to start your pressure. You also don't have to think when there's a character that has a parry and causes you to play ENTIRELY DIFFERENT due to one move alone.

Yep...he gives people free wins because he's braindead and is basically has an "I Win" button.

Don't have to learn to play the game? LOL

Yep, you don't have to learn what you can/cannot punish to start your pressure. You also don't have to think when there's a character that has a parry and causes you to play ENTIRELY DIFFERENT due to one move alone.

Yep...he gives people free wins because he's braindead and is basically has an "I Win" button.
okay i didn't say you didn't have to learn anything at all.... and i didn't say he was a free win... i said his playstyle is braindead and allows incomplete players to be more effective than he should... in reality he also limits high level players in my opinion because you are forced to play a certain way. He is cookie cutter.

E

Eldriken

okay i didn't say you didn't have to learn anything at all.... and i didn't say he was a free win... i said his playstyle is braindead and allows incomplete players to be more effective than he should... in reality he also limits high level players in my opinion because you are forced to play a certain way. He is cookie cutter.
Where did I say you didn't have to learn anything at all? The things I pointed out go hand in hand with having to learn the game.

You also don't have to say he's a free win, you make it seem like that every single time you complain about him.

You don't know enough about any player to even dare assuming that they're incomplete. You just have the biggest grudge ever against a character and look down on people for playing him.

You're also NOT forced to play a certain way because there are plenty of matches that don't allow you to play the way you would normally play Doomsday. Zod, Frost, Bane, Batman, etc don't let Doomsday play his normal game.

So, despite what you may think, thinking does have to go into the game when playing Doomsday.

Also, Doomsday has to play differently to a degree against Aquaman, Harley, and Sinestro. You don't get to throw out a free d1~Earth Shake after a blocked MB Venom because they can OS the whiffed portion of the Earth Shake and full combo punish you.

What does that result in? Oh my gosh, A DIFFERENT APPROACH!

[
Where did I say you didn't have to learn anything at all? The things I pointed out go hand in hand with having to learn the game.

You also don't have to say he's a free win, you make it seem like that every single time you complain about him.

You don't know enough about any player to even dare assuming that they're incomplete. You just have the biggest grudge ever against a character and look down on people for playing him.

You're also NOT forced to play a certain way because there are plenty of matches that don't allow you to play the way you would normally play Doomsday. Zod, Frost, Bane, Batman, etc don't let Doomsday play his normal game.

So, despite what you may think, thinking does have to go into the game when playing Doomsday.

Also, Doomsday has to play differently to a degree against Aquaman, Harley, and Sinestro. You don't get to throw out a free d1~Earth Shake after a blocked MB Venom because they can OS the whiffed portion of the Earth Shake and full combo punish you.

What does that result in? Oh my gosh, A DIFFERENT APPROACH!
you can only parry doomsday from a certain distance on reaction, his parry isn't fast enough to interrupt his free down 1 it is 5 frames... get him in the corner and mash earth shake... i always feel like i am working harder even if it is 6-4 zod.

E

Eldriken

[

you can only parry doomsday from a certain distance on reaction, his parry isn't fast enough to interrupt his free down 1 it is 5 frames... get him in the corner and mash earth shake... i always feel like i am working harder even if it is 6-4 zod.
Try telling that to people who do it regularly after every d1 after a blocked MB Venom.

I've played Pig plenty and he reacted to my MB Venom practically every time provided I wasn't almost right in front of him.

You also can't just mash Earth Shake as they have to be timed differently to beat each wake up.

Also, your mid screen game against Zod doesn't work too well because he can trip guard your body splash unless you're in the corner. You have to approach him and other characters completely differently. There's no denying that.

Try telling that to people who do it regularly after every d1 after a blocked MB Venom.

I've played Pig plenty and he reacted to my MB Venom practically every time provided I wasn't almost right in front of him.

You also can't just mash Earth Shake as they have to be timed differently to beat each wake up.

Also, your mid screen game against Zod doesn't work too well because he can trip guard your body splash unless you're in the corner. You have to approach him and other characters completely differently. There's no denying that.

mb venom is what plus 5 on block???? giving him a 1 frame down 1... general parry is 3 frame startup... do the math...

you still don't have play much of a spacing game... you still have the same general get in your face and go bananas strategy... just because there are certain things to watch for doesn't mean he still isn't a wicked cookie cutter character... but that's injustice for you... there are a lot of refined aspects of games which i enjoy which don't apply to injustice very much nor are they necessary... I just hope mk x has footsies and we can see how people who primarily played doomsday in injustice and don't have another background do.

E

Eldriken

mb venom is what plus 5 on block???? giving him a 1 frame down 1... general parry is 3 frame startup... do the math...
It's +6 on block.

I'd like you to explain to me how I get parried after a blocked MB Venom and I try to do a d1 right afterwards against Frost, Zod, Batman and Joker.